As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

1363738394042»

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Yea my collection is pretty big now too
    Alpha Trooper CS-18
    Barrel Break IX-2
    Barricade RV-10
    Deploy CS-6
    Firefly REV-8
    Hornet AS-6
    Longshot CS-6
    Longstrike CS-6
    Magstrike AS-10
    2 - Maverick REV-6
    Nite Finder EX-3
    Raider CS-35
    Recon CS-6
    Scout IX-3
    Stampede ECS
    Vulcan EBF-25
    Titan AS-V
    Buzzsaw
    Nerf Hyper Fire tag dart set (2 single shot and 2 8 shot guns)
    Praxis
    Vigilon
    Speedload 6

Definately a bit of a mess

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Been a couple of months since there was any activity in this thread. Took me a little while to find it with a search and for a moment it looked like the maintenance had erased all of the contents or something.

Anyway, does anybody have any further experience with or opinions on the new Vortex line of guns that's out now? I'm obviously intrigued by the claims of greater range, but frankly I'm not crazy about the disc ammo...it just seems gimmicky to me. Plus all of the guns themselves are pretty damn ugly IMO, although the radioactive waste green color scheme isn't doing them any favors. Think I'll be sticking with dart blasters for now...maybe I'm some sort of Nerf purist at heart.

On that note, I've been feeling like picking up another gun to add to my Maverick and Raider. I'm still intrigued by the Barricade, but battery powered guns just don't have the same appeal for me. Plus, the flywheels seem like they'd be so damn noisy. I'd like to get my hands on a Spectre but nobody seems to carry them anymore. The Alpha Trooper wasn't really on my radar screen and doesn't seem to have gotten much love in this thread as supposedly a mere aesthetic repackage of the Recon...but from what I've been seeing on other sites, it's actually the star performer of all the reverse plunger guns out of the box (due to an inefficient air restrictor), and you can still find them easily at Target for $20. So I think that's going to be my next pickup.

Edit: I'm a moron, apparently the Spectre is just Wal-Mart exclusive. Damn, now do I have to choose?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Double post, ho! Live, thread, damn you.

So predictably, I was unable to bring myself to choose, and I just spent the first part of my day off swinging by the my nearest Target and Wal-Mart to acquire the Trooper and Spectre, respectively.

So far I am extremely happy with the Spectre - I like it even better in person, hands-on than I did in pictures and videos. Something about the look of this gun really speaks to me - it has this utilitarian, cobbled-together-from-parts aesthetic to it, sort of like a WW2 Sten SMG or a weapon scratch-built by resistance fighters in occupied Europe. The faux silencer attaches nice and snugly, which is a pleasant surprise because in some pics and videos I had seen it looked a bit loose and saggy. The folding stock also exceeded my expectations: it's not rock solid, of course, but it flexes less than I was thinking it would - no shooting around corners with this thing.

It's interesting to compare the Spectre to the Maverick, since the Spectre is obviously from a functional standpoint just a tweak of the venerable Maverick design. The Spectre has a slimmer profile and feels much less bulky in your hand, but at the same time there is less rattle apparent as your wave it around - although since my Maverick is a few months old this may not be a fair comparison. I also like the Spectre's grip better than the Mav's - the grooves in the Mav's grip aren't aligned right to actually fit your fingers into, and while I wish the Spectre's grip were a bit larger we must remember that these things are, after all, designed primarily for children. The Spectre's rotating drum pops out farther, completely clear of the main body of the gun, and it clicks at each chamber as it rotates, which is rather cool, whereas the Maverick's drum only pops out far enough to access one chamber at a time and rotates freely. On the other hand, you can open the Maverick's drum for reloading just by hitting the release button on the side and quickly dipping the gun to the left so it falls out, but with the Spectre you have to hit the release button and actually pull the drum free...so it's debatable which one is actually easier to reload. Comparing the cocking action of the two guns, the Spectre's slide has a shorter pull and feels somewhat more solid - on my Maverick, at least, the slide has some wobble to it during its travel.

Overall, I like both blasters a lot. From a purely functional standpoint, I would say I like the Spectre a bit better on the basis of its build quality, action design, and ergonomics, although obviously to some people the Maverick's one extra dart will be a bigger consideration than others. The Maverick is undoubtedly a more impressive looking piece than the Spectre without its attachments - the Maverick exudes over the top menace, with the obvious comparisons to the Samaritan from Hellboy or a WH40K bolter pistol, while the "naked" Spectre is a little plain and unassuming. With its attachments, I think the Spectre is a great looking gun in its own right, with a different kind of look from any other current Nerf blaster. I can't say which, if either of them, mods up better as I haven't modded any of my guns yet, but as far as I've been able to ascertain the internals of the two guns are basically identical so I doubt there would be any practical difference in their potential.

I am not quite as enamored of the Alpha Trooper so far, but it's still a very nice blaster. Functionally it has quite a bit going for it. I've only fired it indoors so far, but I can already tell that the reports of it having better performance than its cousins like the Raider and Recon were true - the darts definitely come out of the barrel with more zing to them, although accuracy seems to leave a little to be desired. The 18-dart drum is a very nice part - the Raider's drum is just too damn big and unwieldy (and the problem is exacerbated by the fact that they inexplicably designed it to load into the left side of the gun, which means it will be right in the face of the majority of users). I have heard the Trooper drum will actually fit 20 darts rather than the rated 18, but I haven't tested that yet myself. The grip is a decent size for my hands (which are of average size for a grown male's). Aesthetically it really looks just like a giant sidearm, which has a certain appeal to it, but in my opinion the Trooper's looks are significantly improved by the addition of a stock to balance it out.

My main beef with the Alpha Trooper is the ergonomics of the cocking action. For starters, the slide itself has a half-ring projection at the back end of its bottom side which I guess is supposed to be a sling attachment or at least look like one (as with many other N-Strike series guns, there's another such point on the back of the pistol grip). This makes the slide somewhat uncomfortable to hold from the bottom in man-sized hands. Furthermore, if you hold the slide on the bottom, your hand and arm tend to smack into the drum magazine each time you pull the slide back. It looks like this might be somewhat alleviated by using a regular clip system mag instead of the drum, but I don't have one of those to try it with. You can, of course, hold the slide on the top, but it's too short to get your entire hand around that way and is also too smooth on its upper half, with nothing to really grab on to.

Overall, the Alpha Trooper seems like a nice evolutionary improvement on the other reverse-plunger guns. It absolutely shoots harder and farther than my Raider, and its magazine and ammo feed system are better designed even if its capacity is less - I can slam-fire all 18 darts from the Trooper without a hitch, whereas my Raider usually jams two or three times per magazine. The Trooper's major shortcoming (if it can be considered major) is that it's really not the best ergonomically - the overall layout of the gun is fine, and it would have only taken a couple of minor reshapings of some parts or moving things a half inch or an inch to resolve the problems, which is disappointing.

Thus ends this unnecessarily long-winded review, containing information everybody reading this (if anyone else is even looking at this thread any more) probably has already learned for themselves.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    The last gun I bought was the Barricade as I don't have the funds to waste on each new gun nor the space under my student-housing bed to store more guns.

I have no respect for reverse-plunger guns, though. None!

• Options
    MrDelish wrote:
    I have no respect for reverse-plunger guns, though. None!

Anything looks wimpy in comparison when you start using batteries. :P

• Options
    Replace "when you start using batteries" with "when you mod a vintage Crossbow to shoot stefans" and I agree.

I guess I just don't play much indoors and I don't see the use of something that can't shoot over 50 feet without ridiculous amounts of modding.

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    I have one of the new disc guns. I got the Vigilon 5 shot breach loader. It has replaced my barricade and stampede as my weapon of choice. The range easily twice what I get from either of my other guns in the office. The only fault I have for it is that it doesn't use the disc clips. If it did that it would be the perfect nerf ranged weapon.

The discs are little plastic frisbees with about a 1/4 inch of nerf foam on the outer edge. They are fired with rotation so they provide their own upward force. Once you get used to the way they kind of bank slowly to one side and then the other you can get very accurate with them. I'm itching now to get the Nitron to replace my stampede as my large scale weapon.

• Options
    I have the vigilon and the praxis and they are excellent, longer range and fairly accurate as well.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    Picked up a Vigilon for myself at Xmas when I got my son's Proton.

He took it to a Nerf Wars camp at the Y over vacation and its jammed to hell.

The discs are nice but I am still partial to the darts.

I did score an Optimus Prime barricade from Comicon SD for him for Xmas.

• Options
    ludicrous!

o9hQz.jpg

144 darts! What is this world coming to?

• Options
    Love my Hailfire, was thinking of doing that with 8 Stampede clips, but that looks much more awesome.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the Stampede the 18 shot clip?

It looks awkward as well as cool

• Options
    BustinyaBustinya Registered User new member
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble prying open their Longstrike? I've unscrewed all the screws, but the outside won't come apart. I can get flathead screwdrivers in and have a gap around the whole gun, but the case still won't come apart.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out they decided to glue in the barrel anchor things. Not a big fan of that decision.
    How did you solve the problem? I'm having the same one but it's way strong. It almost seems like it still has a screw somewhere in there :P (bt it doesnt, not that I know of)

• Options
    thangto35thangto35 vancentyRegistered User new member
    Depends. You can play where if you get hit in a body part, you can't use it anymore, or you can play that a certain number of hits will kill you, and each time you're hit you have to go to a spawning area. I'm sure those nerf mod sites have more detailed ones, because the two I described have a name, I just can't remember since it's been so long.

• Options
    Behold, the future of Nerf:

541628_426732107409329_1952412130_n-001.jpg

This sucker is fully automatic (looks Vulcan style where you can prime it yourself, too), has its own dart type (new-style mongoes), claims 100ft range stock, and is five feet long. Five feet long. The author of the article detailing this beauty claims that it can shoot 150 ft in a straight line (not angled). I don't believe that, personally, but this is definitely one blaster I will buy.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Welp. There goes my money.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Next thing we know they're going to make a blaster with rifling and an electric mini compressor. Begun, the Nerf arms race has…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Almost as long as my musket.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, this thread does still exist. Cool.

With the weather getting nicer some friends and I are gearing up for some outdoor warring this year. I haven't done much with nerf in years, the last gun I bought was the Alpha Trooper.

I did some reading and apparently they went and reworked all the crappy reverse plunger guns with new direct plunger internals, those jerks. Now I need to replace my recon and rampage. Then there's also a new badass revolver and an 8 shot shotgun looking thing I want too. Does Hasbro think I'm made of money or something?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The new revolver is the Strongarm, and yeah it's pretty cool. Shoots nicely, and is pretty easy to mod up a bit, for slight improvements.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I bought a few nerf guns a few years ago but I'm kinda over it these days. I guess I'll be throwing them up on eBay one of these days.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Picked up some of the Zombiestrike line the other day,.

Two Hammershots (which are the zombiestrike redeco of the Nerf Rebelle Sweet Revenge) Revolver based pistol with a hammer cocking mechanism which allows you to fire and cock one handed.
    very fun, and they look great.

as well grabbed the Sledgefire, which reminds me of the barrelbreak, except it has 3 - 3 dart canisters that you load into the breech and it shoots all three darts at once. Break to eject the canister and load in another, also fun and satisfying but slow to load and you really only have three shots unless you can get more canisters (havent seen them for individual sale)

Been avoiding the disc shooters that came with this line and the traditional style plunger cocking mechanisms, really wanted the hammershots for the single hand use, and the Sledgefire just seemed cool. Another one coming out soon is the Slingfire which will be the first lever action style nerf gun, looks pretty sweet too.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got the hammershot because I was talked out of the knife on the basis of you can make one as cool or better
    I have never seen the sweet revenge in person
    I am thinking about getting the Mega Dart Pistol and repainting it for a certain thing

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Ended up picking up three from the Rebelle series today for my daughter
    Actually for me

The heartbreaker is kind of junk but the guardian and the sweet revenge (especially this one) are some of the best stock nerf guns I've picked up in a while.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Were there really little girls who wanted to play with nerf guns but felt they couldn't because the previous ones came in insufficiently frou-frou colors?

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Doubt it, but I do know for a fact there are grown adults out there who like the frou-frou colors and can use their children as an excuse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular
    Hi guys, I do not own a nerf gun right now, but I'm a bit interested in playing around with it and shooting some of my friends in the buttex, so what can you recommend as a good starter "kit" or gun ?

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Strongarm is an awesome starter, and if you're interested, has a couple of simple mods to improve performance.

• Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular
    Thanks, looks pretty awesome and is quite cheap. I will have a catch when I got my mates to join me in arrow fiesta.

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    Still collecting - so zombie strike line I picked up of course the Hammershots and the Sledgefire (both great guns, though the Sledgefire is more of a gimmick with the 3 dart shells that come with it)

Picked up a Slingfire , which is nice, the lever action is a bit flimsy but so far has survived, comes with the 6 shot magazine and of course fits all the other normal dart sized magazines.

Got the Crossfire Crossbow as well, certainly a gimmick gun, you are better off using a Roughcut imo.

Regular Nerf lines

I picked up the Big Shot, which is a pocket Mega Dart blaster, its fine nothing fancy but has some decent range on it .

Nerf Magnus Mega dart blaster.. i'd pass on it, mega darts fit in the internal magazine, but still has issues with darts getting torn like the Centurion blaster.

Last most recent blaster is the SharpFire - a single fire nerf nstrike pistol that reminds me of a tranq gun. Its pretty and comes with a convertible shoulder stock/holster.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041