As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

St. Elmo's [chat]

1808182838486»

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    ugh. just ugh.

someone on NPR talking about some fucking hippie who is working on unifying quantum mechanics and relativity on his own. After dropping out of college because they "wanted him to take classes like pre-calculus". And he "tests his theories" by making giant smoke rings in the back of his trailer park.

Quantum smoke rings.

Also, Sarksus the night is still young.

And I have a lab report to do.

It really, really pisses me off when people confuse the simplified analogies used to convey the general idea of scientific theory (which are useful, and nothing wrong with them) with the theory itself.

EG: people forget that the "picture" they have in their heads is at best an imperfect generalization of the actual math. And that without the actual math they can't actually contribute to the discourse of science.

It's not impossible that a philosopher/thinker could produce an analogy or idea that could lead someone else to discover the mathematical reality that proves it. It's just exceedingly unlikely. And high-end physics is probably the very, very last place we will ever see that happen.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    eddy just offered me $10k to write him a book that reaches best seller status. i feel so dirty. but... intrigued.

try what i did only 10k up front

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    What other PC games are good with a gamepad...

NBA 2K12

(it's civilization)

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    .ogg is best

Errybody know that

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm really quite optimistic about the survival chances of the human race for at least millenia. Society as we know it as another thing, and much more vulnerable, but really the amount of knowledge we've amassed has pretty much already reached the point that it's fairly trivial to feed, keep healthy and protect from the elements a significant population indefinitely. Even in fairly hostile conditions. The worst scenarios out there could be pretty devastating, but I have a really hard time thinking of something that would happen so fast, so deadly and so final that it'd wipe us out.

Most of the biodiversity out there is another story though. That's going to diminish pretty fast in the 21st century. We're going to recieve a lot of hate from future generations about that.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    There will actually be some dubstep on there, but it's more known as UK bass nowadays. Both James Blake's eponymous LP and Joy O's Sicko Cell / Knock Knock release.

Other than that, it will probably have M83, Cut Copy, Todd Terje, Skudge, Tommy Four Seven, Super Flu, and Marcel Dettmann.

One space for maybe Locussolus or something else.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    ugh. just ugh.

someone on NPR talking about some fucking hippie who is working on unifying quantum mechanics and relativity on his own. After dropping out of college because they "wanted him to take classes like pre-calculus". And he "tests his theories" by making giant smoke rings in the back of his trailer park.

Quantum smoke rings.

It really, really pisses me off when people confuse the simplified analogies used to convey the general idea of scientific theory (which are useful, and nothing wrong with them) with the theory itself.

EG: people forget that the "picture" they have in their heads is at best an imperfect generalization of the actual math. And that without the actual math they can't actually contribute to the discourse of science.

It's not impossible that a philosopher/thinker could produce an analogy or idea that could lead someone else to discover the mathematical reality that proves it. It's just exceedingly unlikely. And high-end physics is probably the very, very last place we will ever see that happen.

Indeed.

Something that was pointed out to me (can't recall where) was just how bad humans are at "visually" thinking (visual imagination etc...) in anything except 3 dimensions. In fact I very strongly think it is impossible and anyone who claims to be able to actually visualize in anything but 3 dimensions is self-deluded.

When I first heard this I immediately thought "but wait, I've read Flatland. I can visualize a 2D space....". But that's not really the case. I can visualize a 2D space embedded inside a three dimensional one. The entire vision system of the human brain is very hard-wired to work with objects embedded in 3d space. No more, no less.

Human senses, and the brain that has evolved with them, are utterly incapable of sensing or directly thinking about the kinds of things science has been concerned with for the last hundred years or more. Out intuition and "common sense" in these areas is completely unreliable.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    @sarksus

bastion is good with a gamepad

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Mamoru is breaking up with Usagi.

This is bummer-ific.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    @sarksus

bastion is good with a gamepad

Oh yeah! I was waiting to get that because I didn't want to use a keyboard!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mim wrote:

This is bummer-ific.

and she will bawl like a child as usual....wuss

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I think apple juice gives me head and stomach aches

but I van eat apples fine

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    And Bastion is 50% off too!

It's meant to be!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bastion looks so fun.

I'm led to believe my laptop can't handle it, though, and my desktop is in no position for gaming :\

• Options

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

Eating the apple gives you the fiber to allow you to digest it better?

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:

This is bummer-ific.

and she will bawl like a child as usual....wuss

She actually got that crazy "Fatal Attraction" look in her eyes. You know, when you smile even though you're on the verge of tears?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    wash if you start sporting a mustache and a bowler you better fuckin' handlebar that shit

• Options
    Either that or magic, skips.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    I'm really quite optimistic about the survival chances of the human race for at least millenia. Society as we know it as another thing, and much more vulnerable, but really the amount of knowledge we've amassed has pretty much already reached the point that it's fairly trivial to feed, keep healthy and protect from the elements a significant population indefinitely. Even in fairly hostile conditions. The worst scenarios out there could be pretty devastating, but I have a really hard time thinking of something that would happen so fast, so deadly and so final that it'd wipe us out.

Most of the biodiversity out there is another story though. That's going to diminish pretty fast in the 21st century. We're going to recieve a lot of hate from future generations about that.

I mean, I imagine it is basically impossible for human beings to go extinct barring a world-destroying phenomena. So long as the global ecosystem can at least just barely limp along I am fairly confident that human beings can as well.

The vast majority of the human race will die off, of course, but I just don't see it being possible that an event that doesn't destroy the rest of life on Earth could prevent humans from having at least some tiny population of individuals somewhere.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    And Bastion is 50% off too!

It's meant to be!
    yesss

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

applecadabra

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

Eating the apple gives you the fiber to allow you to digest it better?

Yeah, developed allergy. Happened to me when I was a kid.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    ugh. just ugh.

Quantum smoke rings.

Indeed.

Something that was pointed out to me (can't recall where) was just how bad humans are at "visually" thinking (visual imagination etc...) in anything except 3 dimensions. In fact I very strongly think it is impossible and anyone who claims to be able to actually visualize in anything but 3 dimensions is self-deluded.

When I first heard this I immediately thought "but wait, I've read Flatland. I can visualize a 2D space....". But that's not really the case. I can visualize a 2D space embedded inside a three dimensional one. The entire vision system of the human brain is very hard-wired to work with objects embedded in 3d space. No more, no less.

Human senses, and the brain that has evolved with them, are utterly incapable of sensing or directly thinking about the kinds of things science has been concerned with for the last hundred years or more. Out intuition and "common sense" in these areas is completely unreliable.

Yes, our brains are just entirely unequipped to deal with these sorts of things.

I honestly believe that until we begin directly supplementing our brains with technology we will likely hit a brick wall in which we're just unable to comprehend certain facts.

• Options
    Whatever, all the cool people already own Bastion.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

applecadabra

Now a k-pop girl is going to sex you and then blow you up with an apple bomb

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    wash if you start sporting a mustache and a bowler you better fuckin' handlebar that shit

natch'

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    I had a sweet stache once...

tashe.jpg

I kinda miss it sometimes.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Whatever, all the cool people already own Bastion.
    no we don't

• Options
    Winky - no need. That's what mathematics has been doing for the last hundred years. Providing a means to deal with concepts our natural brains cannot.

Now I know that elective experimental brain surgery would probably be more popular than "just put in the effort to learn the math" but it is in no way nescessary.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I'm off. Might be up for some borderlands once the boy is in bed tonight (I have a level 11 soldier).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    someone make a new chat thread

This discussion has been closed.