As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where we eat: favorite restaurants

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Places any of you need to eat at if you ever find yourself in Rochester, New York:

Nick Tahou's (get a garbage plate)

Bill Grey's (local chain, delicious messy burgers)

Dys on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, where did the quote button go?

BLM - ACAB
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Geek wrote:
    Wait, where did the quote button go?

Refresh.

iwantanswers3.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:
    The grocery part of that Thai restaurant I mentioned is weird as shit. I mean they have normal stuff like 20lb bags of rice and crazy asian carrot soda and whatever

But against the back wall they have two chest style freezers - which are completely and totally without organization - and they are filled top to bottom with random frozen food items with (presumably) thai writing all over it.

I found a package of some kind of frozen giant bugs. Like huge fucking cockroaches or something - I don't even know what they were. Like six of them lined up in this packaging like you would find chicken breasts in the supermarket.

Water bugs. They were consumed during an episode of No Reservations or Bizarre Foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethocerus_indicus

brDe918.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    that's disappointing about your experience at rock pool. I had really great service the two times I've been there.

Was it snobby waitstaff? I hate snobby waitstaff at classy restaurants

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    A bit. They were also pretty inattentive, messed up drink orders and stuff that you would let slide in a cheap place but the price you were paying didn't line up with the quality of service.

And to be honest, I was more interested in the entrées than the mains, the mains were a bit plain in my opinion.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh goody, tell us where the good places to eat are in Seattle, Slider. :lol:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    While I was in Austin last week I had maybe the best burger I've eaten at hopdoddy on south congress. They make the buns fresh and grind the meat on site. Badass shakes and fries and an awesome beer selection too. Worth every minute of the wait through the line out the door.

I'll think of local Houston places I frequent later but that burger was still fresh on my mind.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    There's an absolutely amazing Korean BBQ in Beijing I've been to a few times, but I really couldn't tell you what it's called, so that's not very helpful!

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Shiro's in downtown Seattle is the best sushi place I've ever been to. I wish it was in Vancouver so I could go there more than once a year.

iwantanswers3.png
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    the wife and i tried this new restaurant in town called Huntington Prime

www.huntingtonprime.com

its a really small place with really awesome food

i had the lamb shank with marina sauce, asparagus, and red skinned mashed potatoes

i usually dont like asparagus but this was some really good stuff, i ate em all. and i never had lamb shank before but im guessing this was pretty great. meat was falling off the bone. delicious

Kristin had bourbon glazed fried chicken with baked macaroni and cheese. the mac and cheese was great and the fried chicken had a good sweet crust with a bit of spice to it. really good

they also had a really really awesome beer and cheese soup

we will definitely be going back

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/blimpy-burger-smashed-burger-review-ann-arbor-mi.html

This place is 2 and a half minutes away from my dorm.

It is wonderful.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Moriveth and I like

Mizu for sushi

and now I'm struggling to think of other places we really like

Larlar wrote: »
    Shiro's in downtown Seattle is the best sushi place I've ever been to. I wish it was in Vancouver so I could go there more than once a year.

I love Shiro's not only because the sushi is fantastic for the price, but the service is excellent. Attentive and knowledgeable without being obtrusive or obsequious.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    My favorite restaurants are Moe's and Five Guys.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    the 2 best retaurants in my city (plymouth):

yukisans, japanese restaurant on the barbican (they give you little apple pies with strawberries and kiwis in woven baskets)

lanterns, greek steakhouse on cornwall street (they do the best steak, chips and peas with a pint of cider for a fiver)

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    do any brits remember wimpys

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Robeltaco is decent mexican in the southwest region

The only other place I eat out around here is an overpriced half way decent 24 hour mexican restaurant

But at least it's not Denny's

zkHcp.jpg
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular

the local Moe's closed a few years back

the cashiers were putting more money in their pockets than the registers

for some reason they just never opened another one although about once a year rumors come up that it will open again

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

the local Moe's closed a few years back

the cashiers were putting more money in their pockets than the registers

for some reason they just never opened another one although about once a year rumors come up that it will open again

I wish that would happen here.

• DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    We have no mexican restaurent that i know of, here

I have to drive an hour before reaching a taco bell that is fused to a KFC, which sucks ass

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I enjoy conveyor belt sushi places.

BLM - ACAB
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    There's this great organic vegan place downtown called the Wandering Calf that serves these amazing high gravity craft beers like Wandering Brook Chaser Pale. They have these amazing hibiscus paletas and the almond hazelnut whiskey apricot torte is just to die for.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    http://www.domorestaurant.com/

fantastic japanese food and great ambiance.

http://bonesdenver.com/

great asian fusion food, and last time I was there we sat at the bar where you can see them cook, which is so fun to watch.

http://parkburger.com/

burgers aren't my favorite but parkburger is the exception to the rule, I could eat there every day.

http://www.the9thdoor.com/

really fabulous spanish food. I can't afford to eat there, went during denver restaurant week (best time of the year!)

and I am sure there are many, many more awesome restaurants in denver, I just don't have time/money to experience them all!

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I like so many places...

Five Guys, In 'N Out, Teddy's, Red Mill for burgers. Dick's is terrible, but serves its purpose.

Shiku, Wasabi Bistro for sushi.

Tacos Guaymas, and really any truck for burritos/tacos.

Pretty much any bbq place with a smoker...Roro is really good in seattle. Rainin' Ribs has excellent brisket, in Lake City/Lake Forest Park.

El Gaucho is probably the best steakhouse I've ever been to, though.

Also, Le Bernardin, just because I have an unrequited bromance with Eric Ripert.

LTM, you should check out Uneeda Burger in Fremont. It's almost across the street from Paseo and I think you'd dig them. If you dig mushrooms, the #8 is fantastic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Yeah, its a place I've been meaning to go. If the Trail wasn't tore up all summer I would have biked there.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    bern's

@Javen will back me up on this

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    There is a little indian place nearby.

I am thinking of trying it sometime.

But they moved into the place of my favorite fifties diner.

Also, German food.

Feierabend and Bierstube in seattle are excellent.

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    that place we went to for fancy dinner at pax

purple cafe

had what i think was the best sandwich i've ever had in my entire life

EzUAYcn.png
    I haven't been to Feierabend in a long time, but yes.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Purple - Best location is the downtown Seattle one.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    Dys wrote:
    Places any of you need to eat at if you ever find yourself in Rochester, New York:

Nick Tahou's (get a garbage plate)

Bill Grey's (local chain, delicious messy burgers)

I live in Syracuse. Had Nick's, BEST GARBAGE PLATE EVER

Have you ever eaten at the BVille Diner in Baldwinsville? Or Mothers Cupboard in Syracuse?

• existexist Registered User regular
    yo i get my munch on @ the applebees come and see me sometime

UmPiq.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    neville wrote:
    Purple - Best location is the downtown Seattle one.

Especially great with fabulous people!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You know where I enjoy eating in the pacific northwest? When I really want to gorge and burst a button on my pants?

famousdaves-bbq.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Even though I enjoyed the Purple Cafe I think my favorite restaurant in Seattle during PAX was Bruno's Mexican-Italian Restaurant.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I love any Japanese steak house.

I was at this really cool one once where the owner/manager was our cook, and he was really funny/interesting. He used to actually do that stuff in Japan, retired, he got bored and came to America and opened up a shop.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I've always enjoyed Dining at the Y, but some people just don't enjoy it.