As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Pax and minors.

2»

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Booked at the Westin to help with bringing my son - that way if he gets overwhelmed he can take a break with my wife back at the room. He's already working on his team of Pokemon to take on the league too. I think by the time PAX rolls around he'll have driven me nuts he's so excited though...
    Ive been trying to raise a perfect scizor, ha
    He's a typical kid - he goes just on appearance and the characters he likes the best on the TV show. I can't say I blame him, I had a team that was barnyard themed that was weak but I thought it was funny so I kept using them.

Now that he knows a trainer is set to take him on he's even more energized...although he's taking a break to play through one of the Mystery Dungeon games at the moment.

I didn't check last year, does the card game have any presence at PAX?

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Booked at the Westin to help with bringing my son - that way if he gets overwhelmed he can take a break with my wife back at the room. He's already working on his team of Pokemon to take on the league too. I think by the time PAX rolls around he'll have driven me nuts he's so excited though...
    Ive been trying to raise a perfect scizor, ha
    He's a typical kid - he goes just on appearance and the characters he likes the best on the TV show. I can't say I blame him, I had a team that was barnyard themed that was weak but I thought it was funny so I kept using them.

Now that he knows a trainer is set to take him on he's even more energized...although he's taking a break to play through one of the Mystery Dungeon games at the moment.

I didn't check last year, does the card game have any presence at PAX?

I think it's very minor, if at all. I know there was a booth dedicated to it last year, but I never saw anyone playing. The con seems to be predominantly Magic.

We're trying to keep the league balanced, so even players who play with a team of their favorite pokemon and don't care about the detailed metagame stuff still have a chance of earning a bunch of badges. There should be a group of gym leaders that are still challenging, but that he has a chance of winning against. There will also be gym leaders who are focused on the metagame and will far more of a challenge.

Though, do make sure he's gotten his team up to Level 50. We'll be doing flat battles, so as long as you're level 50 you're fine, but I know I played a few youngster trainers last year, and if their pokemon are at Level 30, they just can't even really play. Also, once we release the final rule set, make sure his team is compliant; mostly just make sure he knows he can't use the more powerful legendaries.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    MLCodestMLCodest Registered User regular
    I just turned 15 and I loved and enjoyed my experience at PAX East last year. I didn't go to any of the M-Rated games and was still scrambling to see everything I could see in the two days I went. As long as you are friendly and follow Wheaton's Law everyone will be nice and friendly.

• Options
    devieeedevieee Registered User regular
    I did see a little 7-9 year old boy at PAX east earlier this year. He was strictly accompanied by his parents to make sure that he doesn't get into trouble and trouble doesnt find him.

He was dressed up as Link and it was the cutest thing ever! I had to take a picture but I did ask for permission first. All he was doing was playing the DS and wouldn't even bother looking up at the camera for me! It was adorable!

I did see children around but they were very well taken care of by their parents/guardians. Most of them were carried or put on their shoulders. I'm sure they had fun too.

Considering that I'm a 19 year old 5ft asian girl, I did have a hard time trying to avoid being stepped on but I assure you that I wasn't the only one who was that short. So age doesn't really avoid "being crushed"... unless you're literally a child.

• Options
    evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Turning 16 and I loved PAX East 11, definitely coming back for more.
    Posted some advice in another thread, but the mods closed the discussion due to this thread being too similar. Oh well. :?

Either way, to sum my old thread up, don't rush the exhibits as they are there all day, make sure to bring a friend to avoid parental chaperoning, bring entertainment in lines, and stay for 3 days. :D

evanextreme on
    New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • Options
    Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    schimmdog wrote:
    Last Question is it worth going to pax if I may not be able to play some demos or get some swag
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. The Expo Hall is only like 1/4-1/3 of the total space at PAX. There is so much awesome stuff to do outside the Expo Hall and the Panels aren't limited by age at all. Also, there is a ton of awesome stuff/games in the Expo hall that isn't limited to 18+. You'll probably only be missing a hand full of demos and honestly, every time I've been to PAX East I rarely even demo games cuz I'm having too much fun with the other stuff.

E68SJmZ.png
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    My input on this thread is just to not let being a minor deter you in any way from coming. I attended my first PAX at 17, and I didn't ever run into any problems. My younger sister has also come with me to 4 of my 6 PAXs, and again, she's had just as much fun as the rest of us. I think the main thing to remember is that PAX is about the gamers, not the games. If you can't get into an M rated game, it doesn't really matter in the scope of things.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    BoxhawkerBoxhawker Registered User new member
    MLCodest wrote:
    I just turned 15 and I loved and enjoyed my experience at PAX East last year. I didn't go to any of the M-Rated games and was still scrambling to see everything I could see in the two days I went. As long as you are friendly and follow Wheaton's Law everyone will be nice and friendly.

2012 will be the 3rd year I bring my son. He will be 15 then. The first year it was just he and I, the second year he brought a friend, which made my life so much easier. Cell phones are a must. There are plenty of teens there, and I have never seen any problem kids. I don't want them in the M rated games and certainly not in the concerts ( I made that mistake the first year) but the rest of it is all access.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Boxhawker wrote:
    MLCodest wrote:

2012 will be the 3rd year I bring my son. He will be 15 then. The first year it was just he and I, the second year he brought a friend, which made my life so much easier. Cell phones are a must. There are plenty of teens there, and I have never seen any problem kids. I don't want them in the M rated games and certainly not in the concerts ( I made that mistake the first year) but the rest of it is all access.

Why not the concerts?

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    My guess is that it's not exactly PG13 all the time, plus the fact that it goes to 2am when it's on time.

I think you have to remember, as a minor, the biggest thing I can see you being barred from are the M-rated game demos. You have all the freeplays, all the panels (with few exceptions), and so much more. You are talking about 1/10th of 1/6th of the whole con that you can't go into.

• Options
    DemonWolfDemonWolf Registered User regular
    My kids are 4 & 6 and because it is on Easter Sunday they will be joining my for the day. My plan is to dress them in bright colors to make them easier for me to see if they get separated and to have their names, addresses, and my cell number written on their clothes. I'm Planning on dressing them as the Mario Brothers. The attention they'll get will make it really special for them. Also, if the get lost, people will remember a tiny Mario wandering around.

I'm bringing the older one's Pokemon cards. I may find a way to make Candyland travel ready so they can take advantage of a gaming table. Also, lots of juice boxes and snacks.

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    DemonWolf wrote:
    My kids are 4 & 6 and because it is on Easter Sunday they will be joining my for the day. My plan is to dress them in bright colors to make them easier for me to see if they get separated and to have their names, addresses, and my cell number written on their clothes. I'm Planning on dressing them as the Mario Brothers. The attention they'll get will make it really special for them. Also, if the get lost, people will remember a tiny Mario wandering around.

I'm bringing the older one's Pokemon cards. I may find a way to make Candyland travel ready so they can take advantage of a gaming table. Also, lots of juice boxes and snacks.

these are all good ideas. the best protection is your unwavering eye. i imagine it'd be hard to do at a con, but it's true.

also, when they get there, point out the convention centers security, as well as the enforcers. I'm not sure if they do background checks on enforcers, but i'd like to think that none of them would misuse a child's trust in authority for something bad.

• Options
    DemonWolfDemonWolf Registered User regular
    Fruhmann wrote:
    these are all good ideas. the best protection is your unwavering eye. i imagine it'd be hard to do at a con, but it's true.
    Good point. My precautions are in case one does slip away. Sometimes each parent thinks the other one is watching.
    also, when they get there, point out the convention centers security, as well as the enforcers. I'm not sure if they do background checks on enforcers, but i'd like to think that none of them would misuse a child's trust in authority for something bad.

Great Idea. We'll be having brush ups on Stranger Danger and teach them to recognize authority figures such as event staff.
    Having their info and my cell phone on their clothing will just make things easier.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On the topic of differentiating between children and Minors, I do think there should be two separate threads on this forum for parents looking for information about bringing their kids versus teenagers who are coming on their own or are looking for other teenagers to hang out with. Those two topics usually get merged into one thread, and they're really very different groups and needs.

It's tough being 16 or 17 at a convention like this, when most of the folks are over 21. These kids may be travelling with their parents, but they're just about adults and will probably spend most of their time away from the folks. Having forum discussions with similar interests, or finding buddies to hang out with is really important, and I'd hate to see that being overlooked in the forums. PAX is about gamers, not age categorization.

I'd love to see a forum sticky for parents who want (or want to share) information about bringing their kids like the post above, and then let the teenagers start a regular forum thread of their own.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    I think the original intent of this thread was for teenagers < 18 to find out info about age related restrictions at PAX East. As you say, there is a thread about parents bringing children to pax, over here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155012/east-pax-east-2012-parents-and-kids-meetup although it is not necessarily parents looking for information about bringing kids (being a meetup thread).

There's a detailed post in the FAQ about bringing children to pax here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/20863127#Comment_20863127
    And most of that information is mirrored on the community wiki here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Children_at_PAX

Also, there's already a lot of sticky clutter, so I doubt that there will be yet another sticky added to the list regarding a subject that is covered in the FAQ. Also, a lot of "bringing kids to pax" info could be put into the first timer's thread as well. In addition, someone could sign up for the wiki and add to the wiki article about kids at pax.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    ... a lot of "bringing kids to pax" info could be put into the first timer's thread as well. In addition, someone could sign up for the wiki and add to the wiki article about kids at pax.

That's a great suggestion, Zerzhul! I would strongly encourage any experienced PAX-parents out there to do just that (I don't qualify). Tips like cosplaying your kid in bright costumes would be really useful there.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    DemonWolf wrote:
    Great Idea. We'll be having brush ups on Stranger Danger and teach them to recognize authority figures such as event staff.
    Having their info and my cell phone on their clothing will just make things easier.

do kids have badges? maybe print out your cell number on a white sticker, like the kind they print addresses on for envelopes and stick it on the back of the pass/badge.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Are there any cons/events that require you to be of legal drinking age?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Are there any cons/events that require you to be of legal drinking age?

Well PAX is the convention so I'm not sure what you mean by any cons that require you to be of legal drinking age unless you're talking about non-pax conventions.

Official Events? No. PAX is all ages *accessible* (not necessarily always all ages safe language) with the exception that some exhibitors may restrict access to M-rated games to those over 17.
    Community Events? Yes. The Pokecrawl (thread not up yet, coming end of the month hopefully) is a barcrawl so it requires USA legal drinking age with appropriate ID. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but each community event should be clear in its thread about any age restrictions.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote:
    The Pokecrawl (thread not up yet, coming end of the month hopefully) is a barcrawl so it requires USA legal drinking age with appropriate ID

i'd like to know more.

• Options
    Fruhmann wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    The Pokecrawl (thread not up yet, coming end of the month hopefully) is a barcrawl so it requires USA legal drinking age with appropriate ID

i'd like to know more.

last year's thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/135237/pre-pax-bar-crawl-closed-pokecrawl-episode-2-mewtwo-strikes-back/p1
    It's coming, be patient :) And now back to on topic....

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Meant to say panels/events. Alright, thanks for the answers guys, and I have a feeling next year's PAX will be better for me then. Cheers!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]