As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's raining, it's pouring, Chimera is forecasting [The weather]. (NSF56k)

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    i just go by the belief that the hotter the summer, the colder the winter

so far the last two years have proven me right!

Actually, there is some validity to that statement.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man, fuck these summers. someone get me to the west coast, northside

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I was none too thrilled about the summer ridge in the jet brought all that extreme heat. Then when the ridge FINALLY moved off out to sea over the Atlantic Ocean it further tortured me by moving TOO far east and allowing all the hurricanes to either stay out at sea and be a fish storm, or barely graze us and do more damage with flooding than if it had just hit the US head on.

It is those same massive high pressure systems that park them selves over the CONUS during the summer and cause all the extreme heat via stagnation that also bring us our coldest of cold snaps during the winter.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    What's really been nice about the cool weather recently is we've left the windows open and turned the AC off.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:

09 was the summer i was crawling around attics and working on roofs, that was a lot of fun

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:

To the glory of the pacific northwest?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Today it rained and it will tomorrow I think. It's been quite mild for this time of year, about 13c.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    It never rains but it pours in sunny Dutchland.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Today it rained and it will tomorrow I think.

You could be the weather woman on any british channel, and be right pretty much all the time.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:

You could be the weather woman on any british channel, and be right pretty much all the time.

"It's a bit damp!" "Thanks Liiya, now back to our main story: where have all the bees gone??"

• Options
    edited November 2011
    In a somewhat related note, Storm Chasers on Discovery Channel has moved to a new time slot. It will be on now on Thursday nights at 10pm et/pt and 9pm central. Look for my white Jeep to make a cameo on one of the up coming episodes. I am often in the same area or on the same storm they are. I may have one more episode coming up where some of my footage is used on the show again this season but I can't remember.
    Chimera wrote:

09 was the summer i was crawling around attics and working on roofs, that was a lot of fun

The reason it is true is because more often than not the long term pattern of the weather will not change much over the course of a year. If over the winter you had bitterly cold snaps brought on by large blocking ridges and there is no sign in the models of the pattern breaking down in the long term, you can expect those same ridges to show up in the summer and lead to
    Yukira wrote:
    Chimera wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Yukira wrote: »
    Have you been to Austin recently? It's like a rollercoaster. Do you ever get as far south as SA?

I'm always very ready to get back to Dallas after driving around Austin for a while.

Today was the first day I could call cold. It's 57 degrees and I wish I had remembered my jacket this morning.

I have a fear that this winter will be like 2010's and 2009's, which were apocalypticly icy and horrible. If this keeps up with the horrible record-setting summers, I'm freaking getting out of here.

We actually are on tract to have another harsh and cold winter. In Texas expect it to stay very dry and have little drought relief. In my neck of the woods we are preparing for another harsh winter but one that will be just slightly warmer which means instead of the blizzards we had last year, we will likely get some gnarly ice storms.

Tubular.

Here is something really tubular..... A fire tube!

Schwartz_24oct2011_IMG_7605_midsize.jpg

....it is a tornado spawned from a fire! Above the fire and the smoke you can see a pyrocumulus cloud which is a convective updraft. Under said updraft you can see the thin tube of the rope tornado. By definition a tornado is a violently rotating column of air that meets the ground with the updraft base of a cumuliform cloud.

While this is a non-supercellular tornado it is a real tornado and not just a fire devil. This likely is the single rarest form of a tornado.

You can read more about this tornado and see some more photos of it here: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fgf/?n=langdon_fire_tornado#pix
    Liiya wrote:
    Melding wrote:

"It's a bit damp!" "Thanks Liiya, now back to our main story: where have all the bees gone??"

Haha, that is so true! Thanks forgiving me a proper good laugh just then.

Chimera on
  • Options
    I just got the idea for a bee nation.

Hm, yes, this could work. If i don't come back in 6 years, i was killed, probably by bees.

• Options
    That is pretty damn amazing.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Have you been to Austin recently? It's like a rollercoaster. Do you ever get as far south as SA?

I'm always very ready to get back to Dallas after driving around Austin for a while.

Today was the first day I could call cold. It's 57 degrees and I wish I had remembered my jacket this morning.

I have a fear that this winter will be like 2010's and 2009's, which were apocalypticly icy and horrible. If this keeps up with the horrible record-setting summers, I'm freaking getting out of here.

We actually are on tract to have another harsh and cold winter. In Texas expect it to stay very dry and have little drought relief. In my neck of the woods we are preparing for another harsh winter but one that will be just slightly warmer which means instead of the blizzards we had last year, we will likely get some gnarly ice storms.

Tubular.

Yeah, that's what I've been predicting (with absolutely no meteorological training at all, just guessing)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

At least my new car has heat unlike my previous one.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

We can room together.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    Melding wrote:

"Oh, we're sorry, the weather appears to have caused a communications failure, we're unable to talk to Professor BugBoy at this time."

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Liiya wrote:
    Melding wrote:

"Oh, we're sorry, the weather appears to have caused a communications failure, we're unable to talk to Professor BugBoy at this time."

Do not listen to their lies, he was killed by bees.

Oh fuck they can hear me, gotta go.

• Options
    I have a pretty great way to tell if a front is moving through. I get a migraine. It's pretty great.

• Options
    Yukira wrote:
    I have a pretty great way to tell if a front is moving through. I get a migraine. It's pretty great.

A decrease in barometric pressure can do that.

• Options
    Yeah, it makes life fun.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Although it's been getting quite chilly in the mornings lately, it's great weather for running. And snow is starting to build up in the passes! :D

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Yukira wrote:
    Yeah, it makes life fun.

I highly recommend staying away from the eye of a hurricane or intense low pressure system..... and bees.

• Options
    Too late, already took control of Hornet Man.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So this is the bees thread now huh. Page 2.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    beads?

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I livre in northwest indiana, the weather fluctuates from 115 in the summer to -30 with six feet of snow in the winter. Its great

• Options
    beets!

how-to-make-beet-juice-2.jpg

• Options
    ohhhhh beats!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    e:I'm a silly goose.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Oprahs-Bees.gif

sig.gif
  • Options
    End wrote:
    ohhhhh beats!

The Beets have the best beats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7c3bQQmwVE

• Options
  • Options
    My job here, is done.

• Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    i was dampened by today's slight drizzle. tiny wet marks on my gray pants, overall sensation of moisture, etc. once i realized what was happening i managed to scamper back inside before too much damage was done.

i thought i was paying for this apartment to PROTECT me from the weather--no one ever mentioned that this protection ceases the moment i step outside. i might have to take this up with my landlord.

• Options
    Chimera wrote: »
    End wrote:
    ohhhhh beats!

The Beets have the best beats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7c3bQQmwVE

can't argue with that

• Options
    redhead wrote:
    i was dampened by today's slight drizzle. tiny wet marks on my gray pants, overall sensation of moisture, etc. once i realized what was happening i managed to scamper back inside before too much damage was done.

i thought i was paying for this apartment to PROTECT me from the weather--no one ever mentioned that this protection ceases the moment i step outside. i might have to take this up with my landlord.

From a meteorological stand point..... that is just god spitting on your pants because her really does not favor gray pants in any weather.

• Options
    I think all I own are grey pants. Doesn't seem to be making it rain here at all.

• Options
    Yukira wrote:
    I think all I own are grey pants. Doesn't seem to be making it rain here at all.

Well he must just like you then.

• Options
    Just an update on my chase target for Monday. I am very confidant that my target of Wichita Falls, Texas will be a good play, but with that said I may consider areas farther south as well. I really think Oklahoma will be a misty and rainy mess and that severe weather chances there are not nearly as strong as an area from Abilene, TX to Wichita Falls, TX. It is between those two points along the dryline that we will see the best chance for photogenic supercells and possible a tornado or two. I suspect my drive down I-44 will likely be a pretty dreary drive until I get south of I-40 or even until I reach the Red River.

Here is a map of the area I am talking about for those of you who do not know where these little "cities" are in Texas....

mondaythreat.png

Per the 18z run of the GFS today the dryline looks like it will be a bit sharper in areas north of the Red River than previously advertised. I still feel though the best bet will be south of the Red River. The brown line on my map is the dryline and the red box would be where I would assume the SPC would issue the tornado watch. The blue box is where we will likely see a severe thunderstorm watch and the two red stars in the red box are my two targets. The northern star is my primary target still.

• Options
    If you need a food partner if you end up in Denton or thereabouts, PM me. We'll totally do five guys.

EyQGd.jpg