As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fruit Fucker Car (Yes, Forza 2) WIP

Mr RusherMr Rusher Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
I saw the ass-end of the last car thread, but since I'm only screwing around with Forza 2, I'll post my own PA car I have started before I registered on the forums.

Sadly, I've only rented Forza from Blockbuster so I'll only have it for a week or two. I'll hopefully get this done soon and I will probably make only 1 of it's kind; either to gift it to Gabe or Tycho (do they play Forza?) or to auction/gift it to the community. I'll probably end up buying the damn game, mostly because of the amazing decal editing utilities of the game, so if they don't want it I'll auction it.

Anyways, here's the link to the thread I started in their Forza 2 forums, feel free to comment/critique, I appreciate any feedback. And yes, I am aware it's the old PA logo, I've only been dabbling with it a couple of hours.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/361299/ShowThread.aspx#361299

Mr Rusher on

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're still not thinking about how this product placement thing works.

Look at this car, the logos are clearly visible. In your car you only have the logo on the top of the car. When you put the graphics, think about what function they're serving. Aesthetics takes a back seat to function.

What is the function of these graphics? To communicate Penny-Arcade, you can't accomplish this through a random character on the hood. First make sure that you are letting ppl know who you are, then work your graphics around this.

MagicToaster on
  • Mr RusherMr Rusher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's actually a very good point. I could easily move FF onto the roof or side or a car. I just figured he looked best on the hood, with the orange and the black appearance star spilling onto the grill and left side. I guess as it is, it's more like a charity sponsored car than say a NASCAR heavily endorsed car. Since there's only one sponsor you have a bit more leeway as with what you dedicate exterior space to, like if I put PA advertisments like PAX or Child's Play.

Good idea though, I'll experiment with his location on the car, I couldn't imagine this car without him.

Mr Rusher on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there a particular reason you gave us a gorram link instead of just posting the images here?

Lly on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lly wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason you gave us a gorram link instead of just posting the images here?

Did... Did you just use a cursing term from Firefly?

Johannen on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Lly wrote: »

Did... Did you just us a cursing term from Firefly?

I lol'd.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It sometimes slips out :D

Lly on
    edited June 2007
    Here you go, then.

FFWIP.jpg

FF_In_action.jpg

Mr Rusher on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Leave Fruit fucker on the hood, put PA logos on the back and sides. Add more graphics around those, possibly fit one on the hood. Use shapes, maybe even more fruit, to fill in the spaces and make it look good. That's what I'd do using MT's suggestion (if I had the skill to even do that).

This Forza thing requires a lot of different skills, and I'm surprised by how so many people are able to do it. You need to know how to layout your elements, how to match up colors, how to make shapes and properly shade and figures/objects, etc.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited June 2007
    I was thinking of using some swooshes using colours and similar arcs as the main PA page. I was also planning on submitting this to OXM, but the deadline being Wed @ Noon PST I can't see if happening with work/wife/gears.

I was also thinking, if I move the logo to the hood, I could enlarge Fucker and move him to the left side, to achieve a whole side letter box fee, then maybe have the whole image on the roof, with a gradient blind effect (similar to the same method using carbon fibre, but not latticed) background. Also I could add the PAX logo on the more prominent sponsor friendly right side, with the Child's Play gamepad symbol on the rear bumber.

I leave FF on the hood, it's a custom paintjob theme. I move the logo there, it could be a sponsored racecar. In theory, I could leave FF on the hood as a product placement, since he is in fact a hypothetical product of the PA universe, and like the candy sponsored M&M car, having a widely recognised product on the hood is as effectively as the name of the company.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I really hope to get this done before I have to return the game, and if I can get my hands on a copy, this will not be the last design I do. I'd like to do a range more than the million Halo/Scarface designs I see flying around. It's nice to use gradients but there is such a thing as overuse, which make it more like a cheap airbrush at a Flea Market.

Mr Rusher on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    For those of you not familiar, making Forza car skins isn't like loading up photoshop, creating the skin and then importing it. It's all done with the in-game paint program, which is no easy task.

So far I've seen two that have really impressed me, one was for 300 (which i can't find the link for) and my favorite:
    http://www.forzagallery.com/images/108.jpg

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree that this may not be the most "realistic" skin in the sense that it doesn't look like an actual commercial on wheels. Still, I think this looks awesome, as I personally find actual sponsored vehicles look way too cluttered to be stylish.

anable on
    edited June 2007
    Here's more dabblings on the FF car.

FFWIP2.jpg

FFWIP3.jpg

FF_In_action2.jpg

I will probably have only one real day left to work on this, for now unless I rent it again or until I am lucky enough to get hold of a copy. Mainly, due to I have to work this frigging weekend, then I go to a weird schedule on Monday, but I will try and get the final main details on the car before I have to postpone the work on it. I've experiment with shaders a bit to see if I can add a bit more to meaten up the logos and such. Not permanent, but feel free to suggest any alternatives. I find the community here to be very helpful when it comes to thinking about how to present this car.

Mr Rusher on