As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 11-2-11: Watch Your Mouth, Young Man

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Graphic Violence
Uncanny X-Men #1, Cyclops lays it all out there, and Emma has a flaw:

xmenuncanny2-1a.jpg

xmenuncanny2-1b.jpg

xmenuncanny2-1c.jpg

xmenuncanny2-1d.jpg

Animal Man #2, a Toyota IQ tackles villains:

animalman3a.jpg

animalman3b.jpg

animalman3c.jpg

TexiKen on

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mine this week would have to be the Avengers Origins: Ant-Man & Wasp one-shot.

It's luridly done in what look to be watercolours, it's as much about the love between Janet and Henry as Pym Particles, and every page just feels spot on.

I ended up shooting the spread of a fight midway through since I didn't want to spoil anything and I really wanted to get in how much of a treat both Janet and Henry are.

http://grab.by/baI0

edit: I looked up the artist Stephanie Hans, turns out she did all the JIM covers during Fear Itself.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    that kid has a hell of a mullet

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The Fearless maxi-series has been really good so far. It's creative team includes Fraction and Yost but Cullen Bunn does the actual writing. What else has he done? I seem to remember seeing something he writes called The Sixth Gun...

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Villains for Hire .1 was a good issue, but it was a #1, not a .1. Marvel are abusing this .1 thing way too much, just make this a 6 issue mini instead. But the new Stilt-Man! And Damon Hellstrom.

villainsforhire-1a.jpg

I like how she can't figure out to just call herself Stilt-Woman.

villainsforhire-1b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    subtly placed bedpost

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    From the Shame Itself one-shot, which is really kind of weak, despite having great talent like Colleen Coover, Dean Haspiel, Tom Peyer, Clayton Henry, Michael Kupperman, and Stephanie Buscema. The art's pretty fantastic across the board, and some of the stories in the book are really funny, but as a whole, it's dragged down by the writing of The Daily Show's Wyatt Cenac and Elliott Kalan.
    Here's one of the funnier bits; in a three page sequence, random citizens of the Marvel U write into the magazine Marvelous, and have their questions answered by super-people, such as Man-Thing, Ghost, or Mystique. Then, there's this.

QfGeG.jpg

I'm crying, munch :(

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Did they really remove Wolverine's cigar for that one panel, which was kind of key in how it was laid out to convey the message?

oh my god they did

GOD DAMN IT

Joey Q isn't even editor in chief anymore

Yeah seriously why don't they just tell the artists NOT to draw tobacco products.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I just picked up two books. No MotWs there. I am not very pleased with what I've read or seen this week.
    wirehead26 wrote:
    The Fearless maxi-series has been really good so far. It's creative team includes Fraction and Yost but Cullen Bunn does the actual writing. What else has he done? I seem to remember seeing something he writes called The Sixth Gun...
    That's not even funny. People need to read that series. Unfortunately, I only read it in trades and since the first two came out right on the heels of the final issue, and there's going to be a gap from this month for a few months, the next trade won't come out until March. *sigh* I nearly bought v.2 again just to have Bunn and Hurtt sign it.

Crimsondude on
    I didn't mean to sound like I was insulting Bunn.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I actually read through all of OUR LOVE IS REAL.

It is the dumbest thing I have ever read in comic book form. That is my moment of the week. It has to be some type of joke or something.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    not having tobacco products in comics is so dumb

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    People getting butchered on every page, internal organs flying everywhere, but I'll be damned if we show a cigar or a naked person!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah it is a pretty stupid thing

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My MOTW was the exchange between Dr. Nemesis and Danger in Uncanny #1.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The
    "We NEED a new Dial!"
    one?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1; Luther returns to school following a six-week suspension, earned after breaking a bully's jaw, manic pixie dream girl Petra makes her feelings towards Luther known, a mysterious antagonist acts appropriately malevolent, and Luther takes his first step towards becoming a superhero.
    I'm really enjoying the dialogue in this book. It's a little too smart probably, but I enjoy it. Pretty much any exchange between Petra and Luther is good, even if she does come off as something of a cliche/nerd wish fulfillment.

2QK2u.jpg

GwwvB.jpg

By the way, thanks to Mike Choi at The Sindiecate, a great art blog you should all be following, now we know what that shirt would look like.

YORzu.jpg

Snappy patter aside, there's also some ultra-violence.

VyirC.jpg

I really need to write a whole thing about this comic, because I have some complicated feelings on it. It's the kind of thing that I normally wouldn't be really attracted to, but has done a good job of winning me over, in just two issues.

Basically, if you're looking for a smarter, funner Kick-Ass, that looks like it'll actually explore the darker aspects of superhuman vigilante justice, try this book out.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really love the art in that.

Also the writing.

I need to pick that up.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    God, Munch.

I think I'd like to read what you want to say about that comic...art aside (and Dana Gould reference there with the 'condom stuffed with walnuts' bit), that comic looks to me like it should get the flamethrower before it escapes the goddamn arctic base.

edited November 2011
    I dig the art but the ultra violence is putting me off

Antimatter on
    I dig the art and the writing and I don't mind ultraviolence
    But it does occur to me that killing a bully for hitting your friend is a bit strong

Like, I hate bullies and all, but not cool man

Solar wrote:
    But it does occur to me that killing a bully for hitting your friend is a bit strong

It's actually a brief fantasy sequence. On the next page, he loses his mind and punches his best friend in half, too.

On the page after that, we see that he actually did catch the bully's hand, but he takes a deep breath and just lets him go.

The writer has described the book as not being a superhero book, but more of a horror movie, in comic form. Like Friday the 13th, or Halloween. What's unclear is whether we're witnessing Luther become a Jason/Michael Meyers style horror villain, or the only guy who can stop the one that's coming.

Munch wrote:
    Solar wrote:

It's actually a brief fantasy sequence. On the next page, he loses his mind and punches his best friend in half, too.

On the page after that, we see that he actually did catch the bully's hand, but he takes a deep breath and just lets him go.

The writer has described the book as not being a superhero book, but more of a horror movie, in comic form. Like Friday the 13th, or Halloween. What's unclear is whether we're witnessing Luther become a Jason/Michael Meyers style horror villain, or the only guy who can stop the one that's coming.

Oh, okay then.

It does look pretty cool though.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    well I am sold on this book now

7656367.jpg
    Yeah I got it today

It's actually really great

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The
    "We NEED a new Dial!"
    one?

Yep. And Danger's summary
    "The situation has escalated."

edited November 2011
    Solar wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Oh, okay then.

It does look pretty cool though.

okay i can live with that easily.

Antimatter on
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Nothing wrong with a bit o' the old ultraviolence.

steam_sig-400.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    woah that luther strode looks good. might have to checkit.

loving animal man and swamp thing and their interconnectedness too :^: great books

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    My MotW is tied between Fear Agent #32 (last issue of the series, and a good way for Remender to end the story) and Cold War #2 (James Bond stuff, and a two page splash of a car race that was done in a way I hadn't seen before).

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Since some people seem interested in Luther Strode, I did want to point out that it's available for same-day digital release through Comixology.

The first issue's only $1.99, too.

In OMAC #3, Brother Eye has Kevin Kho/OMAC arrested, so that he may confront a superpowered inmate, and Max Lord dispatches the Checkmate Elite. Also, there's a midget.
    KenOg.jpg

I really, really dig the way that Giffen drew the hard-light weapons in this issue.

So Checkmate has GL tech now?

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    My MOTW: reaching the end of the Green Lantern movie on DVD without sniggering. Seriously Sinestro, where's the logic?

My other MOTW: finally winning an Ebay auction for a certain limited Comic-Con collectible.

All the power, none of Hal Jordan's horrible character flaws.

edited November 2011
    Munch wrote:

All the power, none of Hal Jordan's horrible character flaws.

:^:

I cannot wait to get the trade. Though I am seriously wondering if I should add it to my meager, and Marvel-exclusive, pull list (DD, Tbolts, JIM, Hulk).

Crimsondude on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I would say if you're thinking about it, do so. A lot of people seem to like it. Not to my taste personally, but I can see it's merits.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra