As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Didn't hurt to ask, you guys were already privy to the detail that PAX East was locked into this location for this year, which I wasn't :)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    It was announced back in 2010 that PAX East would be in Boston through 2013, I believe.

E6LkoFK.png

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Any info that we have is what was publicly announced by Penny Arcade.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Schmulki wrote:
    whypick1 wrote:
    Besides all the reasons Khoo posted that are in the OP, there's a commitment for PAX East to be in Boston for at least this year. I'm sure this is a one-time thing, kind of like how Prime was the weekend before Labor Day this year (although that's a once-every-7-or-8-years thing, but still not a common occurrence).
    I didn't realize there was already a commitment to be in Boston for this year, that wasn't mentioned above (at least in the quote where the priority of what was required for a date was listed). So do we know if there is a plan for future years to either have a better weekend locked down with the convention center or to be open to moving to another area?
    For any show this big (or even much, much smaller), the dates are contracted at least 12 months before the show and sometimes as many as 8 years out (as evidenced by the show that pushed this last Prime to the weekend before Labor Day). The dates are made public as late as reasonable in the off chance that something goes wrong in such a way that they need to change. They probably have the dates set for PAX East 2013 already (maybe even 2014), but we won't be allowed to know the 2013 dates until at least February 2012 (probably more like April).

PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Has anyone heard if there are plans to do a D&D stage show like they did at PAX Prime? I think that would be really cool to see.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Has anyone heard if there are plans to do a D&D stage show like they did at PAX Prime? I think that would be really cool to see.

So far this has been a prime-only thing (2010 and 2011). We won't know unless it's announced via PA or the official PAX schedule (which doesn't come out until pretty darn close to pax).

SmallLady wrote:

Why is PAX East 2012 on Easter Weekend?? This conflicts with my faith, work & anime boston!! Can it be changed?

Unfortunately not. The reality is, no matter which date is picked, it will conflict with some peoples schedules and obligations. Below is the official word from @Robert Khoo on what goes into choosing dates for PAX.

There are a number of factors playing into the decision to choose Easter Weekend, including:

1. Actually having dates where the entirety of the convention center is open, and that's not just for show days. It takes us five full days to setup and two full days to strike.
    2. Not overlapping the Boston Marathon
    3. Not being close to any large event/conferences within boston that would hurt our ability to negotiate for lower hotel room rates for attendees.
    4. Not overlapping with GDC (since many developers and publishers go to both)
    5. Not overlapping with Anime Boston
    6. Not overlapping with SXSW
    7. As far away from PAX Prime the previous year (so not too early) so we can plan the show.
    8. As far away from PAX Prime, E3 and SDCC the next year (so not too late).

So, that said, when looking at that list, I came to the realization a long time ago fulfilling all of those is an impossibility. One of two of those gives every year. (same with prime, only with different criteria/shows) For instance, this year we needed to overlap with SXSW, and tons of speakers and guests couldn't make it because they were booked for that. It's just a reality of the show.

That list is pretty much in order of importance. Tough decisions need to get made because of it, and to get #s 1-3 in alignment, #s 4, 5 or 6 had be compromised. It's unfortunate, but it had to happen.
    For any show this big (or even much, much smaller), the dates are contracted at least 12 months before the show and sometimes as many as 8 years out (as evidenced by the show that pushed this last Prime to the weekend before Labor Day). The dates are made public as late as reasonable in the off chance that something goes wrong in such a way that they need to change. They probably have the dates set for PAX East 2013 already (maybe even 2014), but we won't be allowed to know the 2013 dates until at least February 2012 (probably more like April).

Update to FAQ :) Thanks Jaber!

zerzhul wrote:

So far this has been a prime-only thing (2010 and 2011). We won't know unless it's announced via PA or the official PAX schedule (which doesn't come out until pretty darn close to pax).

Thanks, I didn't remember hearing about it last year at PAX East, so I wondered if it was Prime only.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    zerzhul wrote:

Thanks, I didn't remember hearing about it last year at PAX East, so I wondered if it was Prime only.

It's possible that it won't stay that way, but it has only been at Prime thus far.

I think it didn't happen at East because Wil Wheaton couldn't make it (since he's part of that group). So, if he makes it to East, it might happen there.

Note the italics because I can't say for sure if anything I just said is accurate.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I think it didn't happen at East because Wil Wheaton couldn't make it (since he's part of that group). So, if he makes it to East, it might happen there.

Note the italics because I can't say for sure if anything I just said is accurate.

In which case the proper terminology is "I don't have the facts to back this up but..."

• agqagq Registered User regular
    First time to pax here. A few questions. I've been seeing posts or other forms of info about 3 day passes, are these available through the website for purchase once pax tickets go on sale, how much will they be, and how quickly are they expected to sell out?

1. They will be once Reg goes live
    2. Unknown yet, but last PAX prime passes were $60
    3. Last PAX Sold out of 3 day badges in 22 days

• MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Last East, 3 day badges were 55. Prime is more expensive due to an event tax in Seattle if I recall.

Registration is open, so GO GO GO!

• Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    $65 each this time around.

Update:

3 Day passes: $65
    1 Day pass: $35

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Here is a link for registration: http://east.paxsite.com/

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Who's recruiting Enforcers? Word on the show floor last year was that there was a higher demand due to the growth of the show. I've done two Easts, I'm old enough to know better but young enough to keep up with you darn kids, so maybe it's time to join up and lend a hand?

p3HkbcM.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Who's recruiting Enforcers? Word on the show floor last year was that there was a higher demand due to the growth of the show. I've done two Easts, I'm old enough to know better but young enough to keep up with you darn kids, so maybe it's time to join up and lend a hand?

If the call goes to the public it will be in the forums and/or on the front page of PA. Wait for that.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • finkledinklefinkledinkle Registered User regular
    When's byoc registration going to be up

Unknown.

My guess is between now and PAX :P

Ill inquire as to status and try and get a timeframe.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    If the call goes to the public it will be in the forums and/or on the front page of PA. Wait for that.
    If you want to be an Enforcer, "the call" will likely not go out until after the show has sold out. Buy a 3-day pass now and if you get accepted into the Enforcers, you will be able to get your 3-day badge refunded.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Two questions about the order confirmation email for PAX East:

1. "Badges will be mailed out (to the US only) two weeks before PAX," and, "If you purchase your badge after March 16th, or if you're located outside of the US, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call." Yet I also paid for International FedEx shipping at checkout. Will the badges be shipped by FedEx, as it was in 2011 and as I paid for?

2. "An e-mail confirmation will be sent after your order is complete. Your e-mail confirmation provides support options and additional information about the show." This made it sound like I would receive a second email, which I didn't. Are orders still processing? If yes, that wasn't clear from the process I went through and am not sure when to expect that to finish; and if no, I didn't get show info or support info in the email I received.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
    Two questions about the order confirmation email for PAX East:

1. "Badges will be mailed out (to the US only) two weeks before PAX," and, "If you purchase your badge after March 16th, or if you're located outside of the US, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call." Yet I also paid for International FedEx shipping at checkout. Will the badges be shipped by FedEx, as it was in 2011 and as I paid for?

2. "An e-mail confirmation will be sent after your order is complete. Your e-mail confirmation provides support options and additional information about the show." This made it sound like I would receive a second email, which I didn't. Are orders still processing? If yes, that wasn't clear from the process I went through and am not sure when to expect that to finish; and if no, I didn't get show info or support info in the email I received.

1) if you are international (non USA) and pay for the shipping, yes it will be shipped via fedex as you paid for

2) I believe that is a misprint and that there is only one confirmation email. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    BigRed wrote:
    If you want to be an Enforcer, "the call" will likely not go out until after the show has sold out. Buy a 3-day pass now and if you get accepted into the Enforcers, you will be able to get your 3-day badge refunded.

Fear not, my badge is bought. :)

p3HkbcM.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:

Fear not, my badge is bought. :)

So just to confirm: if I enforce (which I REALLY REALLY WANT TO) I *will* get my badge refunded? I'm REALLY going to need that money back this year too, so this is kind of an important question...

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    yeah, or you can sell it to a friend.

• KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    The only question i have is about how far away from PAX will we find out the Pre-Pax events.

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
    Kail wrote:
    The only question i have is about how far away from PAX will we find out the Pre-Pax events.

Depends on the event. Things like the trading cards might go up sooner than others due to more individual planning necessary. Just keep an eye out on the forums and you'll see them pop up one by one.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    So just to confirm: if I enforce (which I REALLY REALLY WANT TO) I *will* get my badge refunded? I'm REALLY going to need that money back this year too, so this is kind of an important question...

this is true, but you should understand that it is not guaranteed that you will have the opportunity to enforce.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote:

this is true, but you should understand that it is not guaranteed that you will have the opportunity to enforce.

Indeed, not every applicant is selected to be an enforcer. It would be unwise to count one's chickens before they hatch.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Also about the pre-PAX events, they all have their own timetables and methods of organization, so they very literally could be announced at any time, and in any place. The best advice to following any them would be to check the forums, check the twitters, and just accept that, like PAX itself, there are a lot of things going on and you just might have to miss some.

7B14287.png
  • RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    I know we're sometime away from this. But what is the typical timeline of when the schedule gets released?

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
    edited November 2011
    About 3 to 6 weeks before PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    About 3 to 6 weeks before PAX.

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I recall a thread of flights, possibly from Moe last year. Does that usually go up later? I'm already settled on which flight I'm taking, and wanted to advertise as much on the off chance more people would be going through the same airport.

Creamsteak wrote:
    I recall a thread of flights, possibly from Moe last year. Does that usually go up later? I'm already settled on which flight I'm taking, and wanted to advertise as much on the off chance more people would be going through the same airport.

For Prime there is the WANG (western aviation networking group) but I'm not sure if there was anything like that for East.

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:

Unknown.

My guess is between now and PAX :P

Ill inquire as to status and try and get a timeframe.

It's going to be a few weeks yet before we get this ironed out. Stay tuned.

yBfDKg5.png
    You could start one :-)