As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Price of Higher Education

15678911»

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:

It is true that more income often leads to more spending. I know several lawyers who were making $200K plus a year, but were living paycheck to paycheck.

My boss's brother is this guy. Lawyer with a 7k square foot house, tons of toys etc etc...it's just ridiculous.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Modern Man wrote:
    rockrnger wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    School: Top 20 public undergrad, top 15 private law school
    Approximate total compensation: About $220K total income between me and wife
    Net Worth: approx 300k

Wow, impressive sir.

It kind of carries thru on my theory that the higher income income people would spend more. Do you still have student loans?

If you don't mind me asking, has your position as a lawyer helped you in your investing?
    I paid off my student loans in the standards 10 year timeframe. I was fortunate to graduate with only about $25K in student loans. My wife had no loans.

I don't think being a lawyer has made it easier to invest, except to the extent that having a higher income has made it easier to have spare income for investment purposes. Close to $200K of our net worth is 401(k)'s.

It is true that more income often leads to more spending. I know several lawyers who were making $200K plus a year, but were living paycheck to paycheck.

In my experience, being a lawyer opens up some interesting doors like estate real-estate. I thought that might play into your high net worth.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:

My boss's brother is this guy. Lawyer with a 7k square foot house, tons of toys etc etc...it's just ridiculous.

My little brother is like this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Now I know who to try and bum money off of, thanks MM.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    rockrnger wrote:
    In my experience, being a lawyer opens up some interesting doors like estate real-estate. I thought that might play into your high net worth.
    My net worth isn't all that high, all things considered. A couple of lawyers putting away moderate amounts of money for ten years or so should be able to save up a nice nest egg pretty quickly. Being married is a pretty sweet financial deal.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Modern Man wrote:
    VeritasVR wrote:
    My net worth isn't all that high, all things considered. A couple of lawyers putting away moderate amounts of money for ten years or so should be able to save up a nice nest egg pretty quickly. Being married is a pretty sweet financial deal.
    Agreed, at 35, making a good income, that net worth is if anything a bit low, although JD student loans can be in the 150-200k range.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Its nice were all putting in this data, but doesnt cost of living matter, or is that taken into consideration of the occupation vs current pay? Because doing what I do now would get me 2-3x what I make now in DC or more populated area, but the cost of living is ridiculously low here. like $800/month to rent a house in a good neighborhood. overall I feel I am making out better then moving to dc on all fronts except socially. Theres nothing here so no women and all the young professionals are leaving in droves. I plan on blackmailing my work for money again very soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Its nice were all putting in this data, but doesnt cost of living matter, or is that taken into consideration of the occupation vs current pay? Because doing what I do now would get me 2-3x what I make now in DC or more populated area, but the cost of living is ridiculously low here. like $800/month to rent a house in a good neighborhood. overall I feel I am making out better then moving to dc on all fronts except socially. Theres nothing here so no women and all the young professionals are leaving in droves. I plan on blackmailing my work for money again very soon.
    To an extent, except the only thing that is really higher in DC is rent. So would you make more than the extra 1100-1400 a month rent increase?
    And there are cheaper areas outside of the beltway.

zepherin on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    VeritasVR wrote:

Check your quote tree.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    My AFROTC just got some horrible news. All my friends on scholarhsip did not get their tuition paid because Congress hasn't approved the budget. My university sent the Air Force the bill and they can't pay it, so all those students can't register for their classes. Some of them their final semester. I feel so bad for my friends who earned that scholarship and maintained the standards to get a free ride and now their in danger of not being able to continue. If they can't pay they'll have to whip out a credit card or scramble to find a loan.

Fuck this congress.

Cantido on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Congress seriously failed to fund ROTC? I knew they were dysfunctional and all, but really?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    chrisnl wrote:
    Congress seriously failed to fund ROTC? I knew they were dysfunctional and all, but really?

They're not soldiers, they're children that are over 18! They don't count as people!

The worst part is you had to sign your life away and take the oath before you get it. You are contracted after field training or when you are offered the money. Whichever comes first.

Cantido on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    OTS, man. OTS.

Of course, your chances at commissioning drop from ~50% to ~8%, and you don't get school paid for, and you probably have to wait a year to even go... but you can use the GI Bill immediately for a Masters which is necessary for senior promotions considering they are thinking of cutting tuition assistance...

Ugh.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Of course when this congress cuts military funding they get rid of people's livelihood while getting educated instead of superfluous, and bloated, weapons projects that go nowhere.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    My AFROTC just got some horrible news. All my friends on scholarhsip did not get their tuition paid because Congress hasn't approved the budget. My university sent the Air Force the bill and they can't pay it, so all those students can't register for their classes. Some of them their final semester. I feel so bad for my friends who earned that scholarship and maintained the standards to get a free ride and now their in danger of not being able to continue. If they can't pay they'll have to whip out a credit card or scramble to find a loan.

Fuck this congress.

Fuck your school, too. I ran into this often with military tuition assistance, where I'd be waiting on the state or federal government to pay out. But my university would lift the hold for nonpayment temporarily to allow me to register, and ensure that I didn't get dropped later on.

The hold would remain after, obviously, bringing its own headaches...Couldn't use the gym, or various other facilities or programs. Many semesters I'd just pay with a card to get those privileges back, and pay the card with the refund when the aid came in.

But I could at least register and continue my courses. Oh, and obviously I'd have to settle up before they'd award a degree.

That your school won't do the same is bullshit.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

Fuck this congress.

Can you find any articles on this? I don't see it anywhere.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    mcdermott wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Fuck this congress.

Fuck your school, too. I ran into this often with military tuition assistance, where I'd be waiting on the state or federal government to pay out. But my university would lift the hold for nonpayment temporarily to allow me to register, and ensure that I didn't get dropped later on.

The hold would remain after, obviously, bringing its own headaches...Couldn't use the gym, or various other facilities or programs. Many semesters I'd just pay with a card to get those privileges back, and pay the card with the refund when the aid came in.

But I could at least register and continue my courses. Oh, and obviously I'd have to settle up before they'd award a degree.

UCF is Hold Nazis. The last time I had to see them they had a framed parking ticket with the message "this person was denied a transcript because of an unpaid parking ticket ten years ago."

I don't have a news article, I just got the bad news from a cadre member. Pay shenanigans happened once before where nobody got their monthly stipend one month, then we got it a little later. If this is really happening, its much more severe.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Fuck this congress.

UCF is Hold Nazis. The last time I had to see them they had a framed parking ticket with the message "this person was denied a transcript because of an unpaid parking ticket ten years ago."

I don't have a news article, I just got the bad news from a cadre member. Pay shenanigans happened once before where nobody got their monthly stipend one month, then we got it a little later. If this is really happening, its much more severe.

I just have my own little anecdote to add here, but my gi bill stipend is currently one month behind where it is supposed to be. I am not sure if this is happening to a lot of people or not though.

452773-1.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Fuck this congress.

I get denying a transcript, because that's "fixable." My university did that too. But not allowing somebody to register for courses? That can't be fixed. You've just pushed their graduation date back, and cost them tens of thousands of dollars in lost wages. For an issue that will almost certainly get resolved, and which is not their fault.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, UCF will basically fuck you over with holds and won't care if it causes you problems.

Example: Unpaid parking tickets will blocking you from registration. Everything that blocks you this way can be paid using the very secure system UCF uses to record student debt. Except UCF Parking, whos website undergoes 2-3 hours of "maintaince" nightly

What's weird though, is that usually if they know payment will be coming eventually they will still let you do stuff. Case in point, my finaid didn't come through until late September because I only submitted FAFSA verification documents 30 days before classes started instead of 60. But because the assumed amount was enough to cover the fees, they deferred my payment until finaid came in. So if they are fucking over the military, there must be some really big problems coming down the pipe

ronzo on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dear Golden Knights,

I've passed this problem to a very politically angry professor there whom I know quite well and, if memory serves, has some pull. Hopefully he can find something for us to do that will help this.

edit: Also emailed the Alumni association and asked other grads to do the same via FB. Disgusting.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also because I have found the quality of teaching in science classes to be sub-par to the quality of teaching in humanities classes. I swear this has been more than one science based class.

"Do you have any questions about the reading?" "Good, your free to go." That was the class

So to those teachers I say
    Do your fucking job. The class paid 40,000 to be there and you can't teach anything. You shit, if you can't do your job go do something else and quit whining about funding you pretentious fucker.
    /rant

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote:

74% in 4 years, they've uped their numbers. When i was there it was 50%

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    @Cantido, what budget fight is this? I'm trying to find an article or some sort of reference material.

• Options
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    @Cantido, what budget fight is this? I'm trying to find an article or some sort of reference material.

I can't find anything myself. The email says it's because congress has not approved the current budget, that the university sent the bill to the air force (they always get a letter with the listed payees promising to be paid at first) but this time they sent the bill and they have no funds to pay it so now they will take it out on the students. This is severe because a student who signed the papers and took the Oath is contractually obligated to graduate on time or risk getting kicked out.