As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reinstalling Windows 7 with an upgrade disk...

schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty straightforward mess I may have gotten myself into: My old pre-built Dell came with Windows Vista. A year or so ago I decided to upgrade to Windows 7, got the upgrade version, and did that.

Just a few days ago I constructed a new PC, though I hung on to the same hard drives. I still had to reinstall the OS because I changed everything else, including mobo and CPU. Not even anticipating the problem (I would have anticipated it if I was using a fully blank HD, but I was installing on top of my old fully functional copy of Windows 7, I thought it'd be ok with that) I installed it. I was suspicious since it wouldn't accept the product key during the install, but you can just skip past that and activate online later. Well, now I'm trying to activate online and it's telling me that the upgrade version can't be used for a full install. ruh-roh. NOW I do some research and I see that the proper way to accomplish this goal would have been to reinstall my copy of Vista first, then re-upgrade to 7. Assuming my Dell came with a copy of Vista on a CD, I'm skeptical it's survived my journeys for the last four years, and assuming it did I'd be pretty annoyed to have to reinstall my OS again. Anybody have any experience with this? Can I get it sorted on the phone?

schattenjaeger on

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Calling microsoft should work. I assume you do have the product key for the windows vista install even if the dvd itself cant be used?

Also

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media
    ^
    that has a couple workarounds.

The one you can probably use is the double install, where you put in the windows 7 upgrade cd and reinstall using the upgrade option over your existing copy of windows 7, then you can activate normally.

Note that I'm under the assumption that you have both a vista and windows 7 upgrade license.

Draygo on
  • Options
    Draygo wrote:
    Calling microsoft should work. I assume you do have the product key for the windows vista install even if the dvd itself cant be used?

Also

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media
    ^
    that has a couple workarounds.

The one you can probably use is the double install, where you put in the windows 7 upgrade cd and reinstall using the upgrade option over your existing copy of windows 7, then you can activate normally.

Note that I'm under the assumption that you have both a vista and windows 7 upgrade license.

Thanks! I was going to say oh god no of course I don't have the Vista key, but there it is in all its glory printed on a sticker on top of the old Dell case!

What do you mean by Vista upgrade license? It came with the Dell, so it was OEM, and I have the OEM product key.

• Options
    sorry i coulda phrased that better.

"Note that I'm under the assumption that you have both an (OEM/retail vista) and (windows 7 upgrade) license."

thats what i mean.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    look up a registry fix for it. its probably easier to do that since that is what windows tech support will do for you anyway

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Registry fix is method #2 in the link i gave, its unsupported. Microsoft will walk you through method #3.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    You just have to install it twice. Microsoft has said this is a legitimate workaround. Basically, install it, dont enter your key. Once you go through the account set up stuff, restart your computer and start the install process again. You can even reformat the drive for the second drive and everything will go just fine.

• Options
    Registry fix sounds like I'll be done in 5 minutes. Just to clarify, to do the double install I'd simply boot from the Win 7 CD again and select upgrade? And that wouldn't wipe away what's currently on my HD?

Thinking I'll try the registry fix...

• Options
    yes, if you do the double install, after you boot into your unregistered copy of windows 7 you put in the windows 7 upgrade disk and select upgrade.

Your programs and documents will not be affected as long as you do not format.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote:
    yes, if you do the double install, after you boot into your unregistered copy of windows 7 you put in the windows 7 upgrade disk and select upgrade.

Your programs and documents will not be affected as long as you do not format.

Did not know you can do that, I always format, install windows, skip activation, format, install windows, activate.