As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choosing a gaming monitor

Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
I have been trying to find a good monitor...a bag for the buck type but so far it is very hard to actually compare them. I am trying to get something around 22 inches and around $300.
This is what I have found so far. http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR22w-21-5-inch-S-IPS-Monitor/dp/B003D1CFHY
Does anyone know of something better or is this a good buy?

XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
Glirk Dient on

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I would save your money until 30 inch monitors are prevalent and lower size monitors are cheap.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    This will be a long wait.

• Options
    Roe wrote:
    I would save your money until 30 inch monitors are prevalent and lower size monitors are cheap.

Should I hole up in my nuclear fallout shelter just in case?

• Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    There are a ton of good monitors out there and most modern LCDs will suit your needs. When comparing monitors find one with a low response time (common ones seem to be 5ms and 8ms, again lower is better) and a larger contrast ratio.

The monitor you linked isn't a terribly good deal as you can find larger monitors for approximately the same price.
    I've had great experiences with Samsung monitors in the past (currently using dual 23.6" monitors and love em).

Here's a 24" Samsung for $201.00. (Cheaper and 2" larger than the one you linked)
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S24A300B-24-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B004QNHNRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318613421&sr=8-1

I also check deal sites daily and found this bundle for 2x 24" Samsung monitors for $349 through walmart with free ship to store.
    http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/c9b39bcd-6b13-4f58-8f57-a9f52c9ee0b1/2-samsung-24-widescreen-led-dual-monitor-bundle-s24a300b#6

If you spend a good deal of time on the computer while gaming, especially idle time in MMOs, you will absolutely love having dual monitors. I have dual monitors both at home and work and could never go back.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    The one I listed is also an IPS monitor. I think thats why its pricier and smaller.

Also dual monitors is a GREAT idea...I currently have an old 4:3 monitor that I was going to replace. Perhaps I will google around and see about setting it up as a dual monitor.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Personally I think IPS displays are not worth the extra money. They are very pretty though.

You can find 23" monitors for around $150 on sale.

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Best_Seller-_-24-009-266

This is also a solid choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Make sure it has DVI, DVI and HDMI is better if you want to plug in a game console.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote:

I'd second this monitor. It has decent stats for a good price and comes with cables.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The one I listed is also an IPS monitor. I think thats why its pricier and smaller.

Also dual monitors is a GREAT idea...I currently have an old 4:3 monitor that I was going to replace. Perhaps I will google around and see about setting it up as a dual monitor.

IPS monitors have higher response times.

Which is normally the opposite of what people look for in a "gaming monitor"

But, yeah, it'll look great.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I have no beef with IPS. I have an apple cinema display that I can't recommend highly enough and is great for games. It doesn't play very nicely with the PC so i'd normally recommend the dell equivalent.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Yeah IPS means better colour reproduction and you don't get that TN colour shift when moving your eyeline up and down or with poor quality panels side to side.

If you have a Laptop tip it up and down note how the colour shifts, do the same with your IPS panel tablet like an iPad or Samsung = no colour shift.

But TN does net faster pixel changes meaning faster response time and less lag so you won't get ghosting when playing fps's.

For game playing find one of the TN monitors that are 3d capable or just have a refresh of 120mhz, it actually gives you closer response times to the old CRT in fps. But like a lot of things you won't notice it if you don't experience it. I've got a dell 27inch IPS for work and plugging in my MBP, and a Dell 120mhz alienware 23 inch tn for my actual gaming.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A 120hZ refresh rate only (roughly) corresponds to an 8ms response speed. So, you know, there's no need to go hunting for a monitor with a 2ms response speed. At all.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote:
    120mhz
    Man, I wish I had a 120MHz monitor. :P

• Options
    As far as I can tell the monitor I listed in the OP isn't a bad buy then. 8ms response time doesn't seem bad and IPS sounds great. Looks like I will buy that one. Thanks everyone!

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a decent 27" monitor?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    slash000 wrote:

Hey there.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    tsmvengy wrote:
    Personally I think IPS displays are not worth the extra money. They are very pretty though.

You can find 23" monitors for around $150 on sale.

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Best_Seller-_-24-009-266

This is also a solid choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Make sure it has DVI, DVI and HDMI is better if you want to plug in a game console.

I've got the slightly upgraded brother to that Asus (second link)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117&Tpk=asus vh238h

Same price right now with the $10 promo, ends today (19th). Highly recommended. Still have to turn down the brightness slightly, but it's one of the best looking non-IPS monitors I've ever seen or used.

Now if color accuracy is more important than gaming performance, IPS is still the way to go.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote:

Hey there.

Thanks! :)

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote:
    120mhz
    Man, I wish I had a 120MHz monitor. :P

yeah i'm an idiot :)

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Does anyone still make VA panels? I bought a BenQ FP241VW three years ago and it was the perfect blend of fast response times and virtually unlimited viewing angles. It's no longer available but if people are still doing these types of displays they may be worth looking into if you are worried about lag on an IPS.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know how old it is, but last year I bought a 21'' LG Flatron W2253V (or at least thats what it says on the corner). Half to replace my old monitor, and half to use with my PS3 upon discovering it would not work with the aforementioned monitor. And in a stupid move, I did literally no research, I just walked into Futureshop and bought the first sub $200 monitor with an HDMI port. That stupid move aside, this thing has been phenomenal. Does the full range of resolutions up to 1080p, bright colours, and no ghosting that I can see. 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 VGA. No speakers, but there is a headphone jack, but I just have the audio going through the computer. It was $170, minus 20 bucks because it was an open box. And then I had a $40 gift card, so the whole thing came out to like $130 after taxes.

I'm eventually going to get a real proper TV in a few months, but for now my PS3 is in the HDMI and my 360 on the VGA, and they're both amazing. So for what it's worth, and if you can find that particular model, it's got my vote.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have that same monitor except the 23" version
    I really enjoy it, and it worked wonderfully with my Xbox and HDMI.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Rather than starting a new thread, I figure I'll just hijack this one.

I'm looking at ways to set up a dual monitor setup. I do only have the one monitor, so I'll need to buy another. I'd quite like to match my existing monitor size, as I think having two different sizes would look weird and offend my OCD.

So I need a 24" monitor.

My problem, however, is that my current monitor is this - http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AL2416wd-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000BQ07GA

And this monitor has a native resolution of 1900x1200. And I can't seem to find a single other 24" monitor that supports 1900x1200 - they are all 1900x1080. Is it just Acer's one off monitor model that supports 1900x1200, or is this a relatively recent thing?

And I can't seem to find the Acer AL2416W anywhere new (unsurprisingly, given that I bought it approaching three years ago now)

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Rather than starting a new thread, I figure I'll just hijack this one.

I'm looking at ways to set up a dual monitor setup. I do only have the one monitor, so I'll need to buy another. I'd quite like to match my existing monitor size, as I think having two different sizes would look weird and offend my OCD.

So I need a 24" monitor.

My problem, however, is that my current monitor is this - http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AL2416wd-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000BQ07GA

And this monitor has a native resolution of 1900x1200. And I can't seem to find a single other 24" monitor that supports 1900x1200 - they are all 1900x1080. Is it just Acer's one off monitor model that supports 1900x1200, or is this a relatively recent thing?

And I can't seem to find the Acer AL2416W anywhere new (unsurprisingly, given that I bought it approaching three years ago now)

Hi there!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Excellent. Now I just have to figure out how to justify the extra monitor to the wife.

• Options
    "If you complain I'll have you shipped back to Europe?"

• Options
    I'm thinking more along the lines of "if you really loved me"

• Options
    "You'd make me waffles"?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    wifes can't understand our need for monitors.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My wife found a stuck (red) pixel on the Apple Cinema Display I handed down to her and is trying to use it as an excuse for a new monitor. For the Sims.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My gaming monitor is a 22 inch LCD HDTV. Since I don't watch TV, when I bought my first gaming PC, and the seller kept his monitor, I sacrificed the TV for my games.

Best monitor I ever had :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    As a heads up, if you have ocd tendencies, you may find that having two monitors of different sizes is less annoying than having two of the same size, but different makes/models.

The former creates a clear "primary/secondary" feeling in my head, while thhe latter is just "ZOMG THESE DON'T MATCH."

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The other thing to consider is matching screen height.... If I were to go dual monitors I'd have to buy same models to make sure they line up.

Edit: by screen height I mean distance from desk based on size of the stand

Wezoin on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    As a heads up, if you have ocd tendencies, you may find that having two monitors of different sizes is less annoying than having two of the same size, but different makes/models.

The former creates a clear "primary/secondary" feeling in my head, while thhe latter is just "ZOMG THESE DON'T MATCH."

Yeah, I find my 24" + 22" actually look fine together, despite my initial concern. The one 'drawback' is that I always feel obligated to shuffle things around so that my current point of interest is always on the 'main' monitor. First world problems etc.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm using one of these...an ASUS 23". Cheap mount, but very nice display, in my opinion, and pretty good bang for your buck. It's got (fairly worthless) internal speakers, but more importantly, full 1080p with HDMI.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The most annoying thing about my Asus monitor (I bought super cheap) is that there is a light gray box in the middle of my monitor when I'm looking at an all black picture. Really jarring when playing a dark game like Dead Space.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bummer. Glad I don't have that problem.