As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Thrones Posters

GastonGaston Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
I've recently embarked on a graphic design poster series featuring the art of architecture of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. If anyone has any ideas for additional pieces, I'm always open to suggestions. Let me know what you think and I hope you enjoy!

349fe53689bae14c331da8f92ebd6edc.jpg
8fa851ce55887a20d1bc391a0393a812.jpg
beee52ef5e5afc0746695e267059f142.jpg

Gaston on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Very cool, I like the style a lot.

As for suggestions, there's always The Wall.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I quite like these!

There's always Riverrun too.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The first two are great, but the typography in the third is just a bit too indiscernible with the surrounding gradient.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Great, but yeah the typeface on the third is merging in with the background. Either move it or switch colours. Really like these though, very nice. :^:

• GastonGaston Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm adjusting the font color on the Eyrie to pop a lot more.

The Wall and Riverrun are great suggestions, I think I will tackle them in that order. I can definitely see an image with Castle Black nestled into the The Wall, hidden in the shadows, a decrepit shell of its former self.

I'll try to post some WIPs of Castle Black over the next few days, thanks!

Gaston on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Don't forget about The Twins and Sunspear. Those two should be fun. Instead of the wall you might be able to do Castle Black. There's also Dragonstone and Storm's End.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    These are excellent! I haven't read the books so I can't suggest any locations, but I'm looking forward to seeing them anyway.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm picturing Sunspear in bright, swollen oranges and painful yellows. Don't let me down!

I almost forgot about Sunspear! I'm going to have a hard time not immediately jumping over to that one... That being said, here is an early block-in for Castle Black on The Wall. At this stage I'm just figuring out basic colors and shapes, next comes lighting and detail.

I won't explain this too deeply as I want to know if it reads well, thank you.

Castle_Black_WIP_1.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I read it as being some sort of hole in the ice where there's a wooden city beneath and some black holes.
    Yes? But then again I haven't read any books or watched any episodes.

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    My only suggestion would be to introduce a little texture to these. They almost feel a little TOO digital, if you know what I mean? The world of GOT is dirty and rugged, even pristine places like the eyrie have their brutality. These feel too serene and detached.

• FiveFive Registered User regular
    I don't know the series but I like your posters very much! They are beautiful. The last one however doesn't read at all for me, it looks very abstract. I'm not sure, is it snow/ice with cracks, is it a sky with branches? Is it a rock with holes or deep sea with random shapes? I'm not too fond of all the black or almost black since you avoided it so much in the others. It also almost looks like you shaded the dark blue with black but when I look closely it's a darker blue.

15849_s.gif
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Is it supposed to be Castle Blacked viewed from the Wall?

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My brain can't parse what that last one's supposed to be (again, from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the series).

Flay on
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    I know nothing of Game of Thrones, but I know that I like these posters very, very much. Great stuff!!

edited September 2011
    This is all good critique. When I start a design I try to keep it simple to assess how well it "reads". I have a couple of other ideas for Castle Black that I'll be putting up soon.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Oh, and m3nace and mayday were both correct for those interested.

Gaston on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Oh God if I wasn't so busy and lazy right now I would be doing the same thing. these are pretty cool though, I like that you're taking a focus on the architecture, I always thought the westerosi castles all sounded really cool.

• SauberaSaubera Registered User new member
    I like these a lot. Are your representations based on the recent TV series or on what you imagined from the books?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    backed you on kickstarter :D