As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX Archive
Update Post PAX
Thanks to everyone who took part in this. I had a fantastic time meeting all of you and collecting so many cards!

As with previous years, if you missed a meetup but would like to fill out your collection, send me a PM and I'll give you my address. After people have mailed me their cards I will post the list of cards I have and mail out packages to anyone who would like some more cards.

Update 3/31/2012
2012 Checklist | 2010/2011 Checklist

We will be having meetups on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this year at 6:30 PM* in the Westin lobby. This is the hotel adjoined to the convention center.

Technically the Sunday meetup happens when the Omegathon and closing ceremonies are finished.

For anyone on twitter, use #paxcards to find people people who are also trading.

See you all at PAX!

What is this?

PAX East Trading cards are one of the many great keepsakes and events of PAX. Similar to buttoneering, they serve as a memento, creative outlet, and ice-breaker. Basically everyone who wishes to participate designs their own cards, then trades them with other PAXers during the convention. More than 80 people participated last year, so it’s a great way to meet people.

Dave2012_Front_V3_Small.pngDave2012_Back_V3_Small.png

What if I don't have photoshop or skills of an artist?

Here is all we need from you! You can post here and someone will send you a PM and sort out the details.
Forum Name (for front and back):
Badges: (Complete list below)
PAX Primes Visited:
PAX Easts Visited (Including 2012):

Proximity to Boston:
0-9 miles: 0
10-50: 1
51-100: 2
101-500: 3
501-1000: 4
1001-5000: 5
5001-10000: 6
10001+: 7
First Mana Icon: (Complete list below)
Second Mana Icon: (Complete list below)
Card Type (if other than "Creature - Gamer"):
Abilities (Include cost if applicable):
Flavor Text/Quote:
QR Text (250 characters max):

628 x 849 300 DPI Image (for front):
293 x 320 300 DPI Image (for back):

List of volunteers:
itzerokewl
Magpie Maydin
slamonella
browncoatbeth
malicious nerd
Peasant Dave

How do I get involved?
Step 1: Get Photoshop, Or Find a Volunteer

Obtain a copy of photoshop or commission someone to put the card together for you. Several people have volunteered to help out. Send me a PM and I will route you to one of our volunteers. The front image is 628 x 849 pixels (300 DPI) and the back image is 293 x 320 pixels (300 DPI).

Step 2: Download templates and font

Download the font template, back template, and fonts. Make sure the fonts are loaded before you open photoshop.

Template Version 1, Updated 2/15/2012: Front | Back | MagicCardsNormal Font | Nicholas Regular Front

Step 3: Modify text and images on templates

Insert the necessary text and images to the front and back templates. The "power and toughness" are your PAX Primes attended and PAX Easts attended (including 2012), respectively. For your colorless cost you may use the following chart.

0-9 miles: 0
10-50: 1
51-100: 2
101-500: 3
501-1000: 4
1001-5000: 5
5001-10000: 6
10001+: 7

Step 4: Choose badges

Choose six of the following badges on the front of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Badge 1), then activating the particular layer you want. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.
badge_byoc.png BYOC
badge_cigar.png Cigar
badge_cookie.png Cookie Brigade
badge_cosplay.png Cosplay
badge_enforcer.png Enforcer
badge_facebook.png Facebook
badge_fancydinner.png Fancy Dinner
badge_fitocracy.png Fitocracy
badge_girlsmeetup.png Girls Meetup
badge_glbtmeetup.png GLBT Meetup
badge_gplus.png Google Plus
badge_irc.png IRC
badge_lol.png League of Legends
badge_MMTE_2011.png Magical Mystery Tour
badge_omeganaut.png Omeganaut
badge_eta.png PAX East Train Alliance
badge_ppl_challenger.png PAX Pokemon League Challenger
badge_ppl_leader.png PAX Pokemon League Leader
badge_paxprime.png PAX Prime
badge_pokemon_pubcrawl.png Pokemon Pub Crawl
badge_postdinner.png Post PAX Dinner
badge_predinner.png Pre-PAX Dinner
badge_ppgn.png Pre-PAX Gaming Night
badge_reddit.png Reddit
badge_rookie.png Rookie
badge_scavengerhunt.png Scavenger Hunt
badge_tabletop.png Tabletop
badge_twitter.png Twitter

Step 5: Choose Mana Symbols

Choose two of the following mana symbols on the back of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Mana Icon 1), then activating the particular layer you want.
Console
D20
D6
Deck/Cards
HandHeld
PC

Step 6: Create your abilities and assign mana costs

Your abilities may be whatever you like. If you want one to have a cost leave some spacing before the colon and enable the appropriate line and cost layer.

Step 7: Generate and copy QR code

Go to qrcode.kaywa.com use any URL or Text (less than 250 characters) you like. The Large size fits pretty well into the spot on the template.

Step 8: Choose Card Number

Let me know that you need a number and I will give you the next unused number.

Step 9: Create An Account On jakprints

https://www.jakprints.com/account/entry.php

Step 10: Create an order

First click on the blue Order tab in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next under "Full Color Printing Orders" click the Place Order button.

You can use the following information as a template.

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Cards 2012
Promotional Code: PAXEAST12 (for orders of 100 or more)
Product: Postcards
Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
Quantity: 100
Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
Proof: No proof (printed as is)
$10 Discount: Select "No" - the tagline discount is not applicable with any other promotions, such as this one.
File Prep Instructions: No
Standard Turnaround

Step 11: Upload Image Files

Click on the blue Upload Files button, then the green Upload Files button. You will need to upload the flattened version of your card files.

I received my order one week after I finalized it.

How will I find people to trade with?

Last year people were able to find other "card sharks" by simply placing a card in their badge holder. The forum badge holders are large enough to fix your forum card, your PAX badge and your trading card. We will also be having a meetup each day during PAX.

A printable checklist will be provided about a week before PAX.

You can also watch twitter for people using the #paxcards tag!

Can I help with anything?

- Create "badges" for community events. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.

- Volunteer to help create trading cards for people who lack the tools.

What is the deadline?

If you get your order out by March 20th you'll be fine. If you wait longer than that, you may need to rush the order depending on where you live.

I have another question!

Ask whatever you like in the thread! Someone should be able to answer your question relatively quickly.

Update 3/21/2012
Standard orders for cards are closed

You may still rush order cards at your own discretion, but neither jakprints nor I guarantee they will arrive in time.

I am going to be putting together checklists over the next week. If you didn't get to order your cards in time please let me know so that we can have a more accurate checklist. I know I will have cards to give away even if people don't have something to trade in return.

In the meantime, you can get excited about last year's checklist! Many of these people will be at PAX again, and I have a lot of cards from past years that will be brought to the meet-ups.

2010/2011 Checklist

Please let me know if any cards are missing from this list, or if a card was never completed.

Update 3/11/2012
Over 100 people have signed up to create trading card this year! Including cards from previous years there will be over 200 to collect. I will be posting lists of those taking part and creating a check list in the days ahead.

We will be having meetups on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this year at 6:30 PM* in the Westin lobby. This is the hotel adjoined to the convention center.

Technically the Sunday meetup happens when the Omegathon and closing ceremonies are finished.

If you cannot make it to one of these meetups, here is a list of other events that people will have an abundance of trading cards at:
- Fried Food Lunch on Thursday
- Coin Lunch on Friday
- Pre PAX Dinner on Thursday
- Girls Meetup on on Sunday

Update 1/17/2012
Izzie wrote:
ALRIGHT.

Some fun times in G+, we have semi-finals for the cards and icons:
PaxEast2012_Master_Front.png
PaxEast2012_Master_Back.png

FINAL.png

We decided to go with minimal gaming style for the "mana cost". You'll be able to use the colorless number and two style icons. Ultimately the region icons are too abstract. The final final template should be up soon, as well as a finished example and instructions.

Update 1/8/2012
Izzie wrote:
Hey!
Dave and I worked a bit on the M:TG style cards, and we've reverted to a simpler older style that looks a like cleaner.

Dave has promised to get the text situation worked out at some point within the next weeks (HOLD HIM TO IT)

These are the updated styles. They're still not 100% but we should be getting closer to that by the end of this month.
Pixelation is just due to the .png sample being resized.

Back2012_Izzie_V45.png
front2012_Izzie_draft045.png

For future reference: font used http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Magic_Cards.htm

Once the template is finished I will be posting instructions for how everyone can make their own trading cards (or how to get help creating them).

In the meantime, let me know if you're interested in helping make cards for people who do not have access to photo. I will be posting a list of badges soon, but you can supply any badge you want as a 100 x 100 PNG and it will be added to the template.

Poll: What would people like to see as the mana cost? (Please note "PAXes attended" will already be used as Power/Toughness)

Original Post
PAX East Trading cards are one of the many great keepsakes and events of PAX. Similar to buttoneering, they serve as a memento, creative outlet, and ice-breaker. Basically everyone who wishes to participate designs their own cards, then trades them with other PAXers during the convention. More than 50 people participated last year, so it’s a great way to meet people.

davefront2011_small.pngdaveback2011_small.png

My goal is to have the template nailed down by New Years, so that everyone has a couple months to work on their cards. This thread will serve as a location for brainstorming, so please be respectful of other people’s ideas as we create an awesome community project.

Please let me know if you are interested in participating, or if you would like to help design the template or with the other tasks that will come up in 2012.

PS - We will not be trying to create a game for the trading cards this year, mostly because no one has all of the cards until the last hour of PAX anyway.

zerzhul on

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Last year's theme was reminiscent to the 1990's comic book hero trading cards. I'm open to anything this year, one of the things that has been mentioned is a Magic: The Gathering theme. I'm hoping I can mock something up in the next few weeks, but if anyone else can get to it before me, feel free!

PeasantDave on
  • CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    I loved this so much last year. My trading card collection is proudly displayed on one of my bookcases. Definitely in again this time.

Given that I've been playing a LOT of M:TG recently, I think a Magic theme could be pretty cool. We'd need to come up with a bunch of PAX-themed keywords and abilities I guess. Or make planeswalker cards for ourselves. Unfortunately I have the graphic design instincts of the average rock, so I'm going to be pretty useless on that front.

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely interested in doing this for PAX this year.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    A magic theme would be awesome - would Wizards frown upon that though? Pokemon TCG would be awesome too!

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I want to help! \o/ I'd love to participate this year. MtG is a cool format because you would get flavor text but if people wanted something simpler the pokemon tcg card format is pretty neat too. (gaming types instead of elements: card, table, vidya etc) Either way both of those formats would need a back of the card image and it might look pretty cool if we all have the same card back. (makes it all part of one set)

So excited

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    Heleor wrote:
    A magic theme would be awesome - would Wizards frown upon that though? Pokemon TCG would be awesome too!

As far as I know WOTC doesn't chase after people who make custom cards, and these would be more of an homage than anything. I'm thinking extended art front with a traditional back.

• King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Board just ate my post...? o_O

Anyway, I'm in again. Is this where we request what number we want, or are you doing that after the design is finalized? Also, I'm not too sure about the M:TG format, because one side would be the same on all cards. It could work, though.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
    Ooh, perhaps we can actually get some sort of game we can play with them? ;-)

edited November 2011
    Board just ate my post...? o_O

Anyway, I'm in again. Is this where we request what number we want, or are you doing that after the design is finalized? Also, I'm not too sure about the M:TG format, because one side would be the same on all cards. It could work, though.

Number distribution will be after the template is finalized.

I picture it as the traditional M:TG card on the back, and an extended art front, so we would use both sides.

Front:
    83482_1M_Myr_Superion__Full_Art_Gameday_.JPEG

Back:
    146.jpg

PeasantDave on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Still not 100% sure if I'm going to make it to PAX East this year or not, but I do still want to help with card creation! I think a MT:G theme could be cool. Do we want the backs to be exactly like the normal magic cards or should we do something that incorporates the PAX East logo?

signature.png
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    I am totally in for trading cards this year!

Not sure about the M:tG theme though...I can see how an update could be good, but I like the current design well enough, and honestly, I kinda like the dorky superhero trading card-esque feel of it. Even if we change it to something more fantastic, I'd rather have full-blown stats. Maybe something a bit like a D&D miniatures card...small picture and statblock on one side, large illustration with fantasy border on the other. I dunno.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm in again! i really like the magic card look, but i'll be in regardless of what's chosen.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I'll be in, I enjoyed this last year, goofy as it was. I would also suggest trying to do meet-ups every day so that there's less of a mad scramble at the last minute. They don't have to be long, but just a couple minutes at an appointed time/place seems like it'd be productive.

As far as design, I like that we're changing it (which is funny, if you follow the coin design, you know I'm the biggest voice of conservatism). Cards usually look different from year to year. Now, what might be cool would be to still keep the superhero theme, but make it look like a new edition. These can even vary quite dramatically, see these two examples of different editions:
    http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Non-Sports/1992/Marvel_Masterpieces/97/Venom
    http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/x-men_card_1.jpg

What's nice about a trading card theme is that having both the front and the back personalized actually makes sense. I'd be concerned that double-sided "MtG" themed cards wouldn't really feel like MtG cards. If we go with a MtG theme, we might want to seriously consider a uniform back, even though it does mean less space to personalize.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I would love to be included in this please.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up doing this again... Then again I still have the 200+ cards from LAST year...

I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Same here, I still have a ton from last year.

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    I didn't do it last year, no way I'm keeping away this time. I know everyone wants my face for their very own.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    You can count me in!

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I plan to take part in this escapade this year. So much so that everyone who gets a forum badge will also get my trading card :)

I support the idea of a MtG themed card for many reasons. The first is that every PAX swag bag that is handed out has a 30 card MtG deck in it that can be used in conjunction with the trading card we create, negating the need to collect a certain number before they can be played with. The second is that if offers the opportunity to go a tad weird with the cards to the point where they become stupidly overpowered or just plain dumb. Such as 'As soon as you play this card, all of your summoned creatures in play have +10 to their defences and attacks and all of your lands can be used as any type for summoning. Effect is persistent and cannot be countered'. Finally it affords us the chance to use the forum crest on the back of the badge and thus increase its prominence and use. My card will be created this week and linked here for you to see. Feedback would be appreciated.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    kropotkin wrote:
    I plan to take part in this escapade this year. So much so that everyone who gets a forum badge will also get my trading card :)

I support the idea of a MtG themed card for many reasons. The first is that every PAX swag bag that is handed out has a 30 card MtG deck in it that can be used in conjunction with the trading card we create, negating the need to collect a certain number before they can be played with. The second is that if offers the opportunity to go a tad weird with the cards to the point where they become stupidly overpowered or just plain dumb. Such as 'As soon as you play this card, all of your summoned creatures in play have +10 to their defences and attacks and all of your lands can be used as any type for summoning. Effect is persistent and cannot be countered'. Finally it affords us the chance to use the forum crest on the back of the badge and thus increase its prominence and use. My card will be created this week and linked here for you to see. Feedback would be appreciated.

One point this brings up is "are we trying to make these cards some sort of actionable item?" In the past they have just been collectibles. While I think the M:tG theme could be good, I'm not sure we should be trying to make them "playable" cards. This could complicate the design process significantly for some people.

In addition, unless you're trying to submit an artwork example for the template, I wouldn't worry about creating individual cards yet (since no template has been decided upon in this brainstorming thread).

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    One of the great events I wasn't able to take part in last year, this year I definitely want a card! lol

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Even though I have a horrible track record of actually trading/handing the things out, I'm in again :)

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    What if they were character cards for a game like Betrayal at House on the Hill, or Chez Geek? You wouldn't necessarily need the complete set in order to utilize them.

1EAFQ.gif
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I regret not participating in this last year and I look forward to do my homework well in advance this time around.

Making these actionable would create a level of complication that may be hard to manage, besides how would you either agree or control what people will put down? At best we could ask that if people really want to do that, then it would need to be akin to the Unhinged series.

I'm a whore for MTG so of course I love the idea, however I would also like to see some level of contact info and affiliation can be displayed somewhere like what we had last year. I suggest that the back be used for this all the while keeping an MTG flavor.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KyussKyuss Registered User regular
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of the pseudo MtG card idea. I've seen those done to death all over the internet, and I think it lacks the uniqueness that our previous templates have had. Using the MtG template doesn't really say PAX community, it says "another MtG-style card".

E6LkoFK.png

• IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    I really like the MtG idea; it doesn't have to be an exact replica. The templates can be stylized to be more unique, but I don't see anything wrong with it being inspired by Magic.

My 2 copper anyways.
    Dave; I can try to get some mock-ups for you if you want. I'll harass you on G-chat (this weekend is out, though, due to wedding)

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I will definitely participate in this. Can't wait to see what templates you guys come up with. This is a great networking tool I think.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular

I'm in on this. I love the idea of cards. I could go for MTG card style, but i would prefer more like a baseball card. Put an 'action' shot on the front with some silly stats on the back. Maybe list the conventions attendended on the back. (much like the one that PeasantDave posted from last year)

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of the pseudo MtG card idea. I've seen those done to death all over the internet, and I think it lacks the uniqueness that our previous templates have had. Using the MtG template doesn't really say PAX community, it says "another MtG-style card".

Another thing to consider is all those people who have left over cards from last year. I'm sure some would appreciate being able to use them.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    I still have leftover cards from 2010 because they sent me 300 instead of the 100 I ordered. That was nice and all, but I rather would have paid less for the 100 then get stuck with sooo many extra cards.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I still have leftover cards from 2010 because they sent me 300 instead of the 100 I ordered. That was nice and all, but I rather would have paid less for the 100 then get stuck with sooo many extra cards.

And I don't think you're the only one stuck with several extras. I remember two other persons begging me to take them late on Saturday on last PAX East.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    the printing company (jakprints?) seems to make a habit of sending a lot more than you asked for. I still have a ton from last year, but I intend to do a new card for 2012 and maybe bring both for distribution.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'll be in again. I'll bring new cards along with the million extras from last year

AN9buWz.png
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    The gamers vs. evil template seems really easy and the "rules" content is very loose. The main problem there is to make them fully actionable you would need more than one card (9, or 9 +1 randomizer). I still think that sounds awesome.

I am still against making this a game, since the object of trading cards is first and foremost for trading.

E6LkoFK.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The more I think about this, the more I lean away from M:tG. It *is* a cool thing, but the two major problems with it seem difficult to overcome in my mind. Those being the following:
    1) the likelihood of a push to make actionable (playable) cards
    2) the idea has been used in many places (*could* be mitigated with some pretty unique design work, but then is it really that close to M:tG?)

My idea ramble is behind the spoiler, since it's not really that coherent, just an out loud brainstorm.
    Trying to not be the type of "yeah I don't like this but I can't think of an alternative"... I have zero artistic ability so I have a hard time getting my ideas across without being able to point at something in person. Here goes anyhow.

What about doing something with the style/colors of the "new" PA website/forums?
    For the front
    [*] new pax east logo in the top left corner
    [*] name in an orange tab looking banner like the tabs across the top of the website (comics, archive, forum) with the slight orange border across the top
    [*] PA Blue "bezel" border
    For the back
    [*] the name across the top stays the same but is "selected", with the blue glow like the website tabs

and that's all I've got. I know it's stealing from the website, but I'm trying to tie it to the forums somehow.

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I am still against making this a game, since the object of trading cards is first and foremost for trading.

Trading and collecting shouldn't prevent making the cards actually useful for a game, should it?

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Also, I don't think reputable businesses would print our 'fake' M:tG cards. At least, I wouldn't if I were them.

7B14287.png
This discussion has been closed.