As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    Hm, I was thinking about the item squishing earlier and had an idea: how about if they just squish the raid loot ilvls but leave the questing power gain alone? Basically make all Vanilla raids give the same level loot as MC, all TBC raids give the same level loot as Kara and all Wrath raids give the same level loot as Naxx 10. I've quickly thrown together a shitty graph of the idea by badly editing the original graph:

As you can see it's not near as bad as the preliminary squish graph while still getting about 100 ilvl out of the system. The raids would still need to be nerfed a little bit extra if they wanted higher level characters to solo them as well as they can now (maybe retune the 25 man raids to be 10 man raids?) but it wouldn't be as hard to do as when using the proposed graph's ilvls.

That would probably work fine for this next expansion, but it's a pretty minor stall. Two or three expansions from now, we'd be in the same spot again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Man fuck the Fiery Lords of Setheras Roost and fuck people who happily come and take credit instead of fucking taking my invite and help anyone else out.

Fuck I hate people who play this game. Fuck.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    You realize those mobs are tagless, that is to say if you hit one of them you will get credit for it even if someone else has it tagged, even if they are opposite faction. Can even loot it (they still get to loot too)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Unless they've changed it recently, no, you need to tag it to get credit.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote:
    You realize those mobs are tagless, that is to say if you hit one of them you will get credit for it even if someone else has it tagged, even if they are opposite faction. Can even loot it (they still get to loot too)

You realize this is incorrect.

Whoever tags it and/or is in the party of who tags it gets the credit. No one else does, period. No, this hasn't changed, no this hasn't been fixed. Yes, you can till loot it if you hit it at all but you won't get credit.

• Options
    I've always been able to get kill credit for those mobs just by chucking a single throwing dagger once at one of them that someone else tagged. Even horde players (and I'm ally). Also been able to mine it once they finish looting it. Only thing that one cannot do there is the "wolf howl" thing if it wasn't your group's tag, but plenty of low hp mobs elsewhere for that one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote:
    I've always been able to get kill credit for those mobs just by chucking a single throwing dagger once at one of them that someone else tagged. Even horde players (and I'm ally). Also been able to mine it once they finish looting it. Only thing that one cannot do there is the "wolf howl" thing if it wasn't your group's tag, but plenty of low hp mobs elsewhere for that one.

You realize I'm talking about the rare achievement mobs right? Not the general mobs you need for the quest?

Because those, yes, you can get credit for. I don't care about those. The rare mobs you absolutely, under no uncertain terms, do not get credit if you are not the tagger or in the party of the tagger. This isn't even something that is debatable.

• Options
    Oh that? I did that achievement first week that content came out, didn't realize that's what you meant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The way that achievement is set up is really aggravating.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I remember someone mentioning a website that goes through your WoL parse and points out stuff that's wrong, am I imagining things or does such a site really exist and if so what's it's address?

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    So, I spent at least 6 hours this weekend trying to fish up a Goldenscale Vendorfish for the Limnologist achievement with no success. Shoot me now.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I like to think fishing is why most video players have an always on top option.

Also, why I don't fish.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    What class are you? I was able to solo most of the rare mobs w/ my shitty-geared druid + npcs from the daily. It was tricky in some cases but doable.

Keep in mind if you see one up, the next one will spawn within a few minutes of it dying. All four should spawn in order pretty quickly (assuming one wasn't killed in the chain before you got there)

And yes, it's bullshit that you don't get credit for helping kill the mob. If they can do it with quests, they can do it with fucking achievements...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote:
    Darkmoon Faire is up on the PTR. It's pretty swank; lots of fun little minigames, some pets/mounts/toys to buy (with tickets, the new currency for that event) and tier 0/dungeon set 1 transmog gear.

Huh, not only do they have T0, they also have T0.5 there. Same prices as the T0 pieces.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    dude with herpes is a dwarf paladin usually

I don't know if my brother bothers with the dailies anymore but ask him

As for fishing I think I fished up a Goldenscale Vendorfish long ago I remember getting it but that was long before that added it as a achievment but getting the rat on my rogue is somehting that pisses me off anymore

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    As I remember it, the best place for vendorfish if the central lake in Zangremarsh, fishing out of the steam pump flotsam.

As for the rat, it refused to be fished up for me. Finally got it in a call to arms bag. Still don't have a damn turtle.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    So Darkmoon Fair stuff is still only one week per month, right?

So we'll get to do this on live servers, what, maybe eight or nine times before MoP's release?

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Well, that was fun.
    RGrTJ.png

• Options
    Historically, I'm sure I've gotten dozens of them; fishing for Mr. Pinchy, barrels of fish from the Shatt cooking daily and the Shatt fishing daily.

This weekend however absolutely nothing. I fished up two Mr. Pinchies! So much /headdesk.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, do the WotLK vehicles with ilevel scaling keep scaling up with the (comparatively insane) ilevels we have now? Like how powerful is an Ulduar demolisher in ilevel 370+ gear? Are people soloing Flame Leviathan yet?

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Halfmex wrote:
    Darkmoon Faire is up on the PTR. It's pretty swank; lots of fun little minigames, some pets/mounts/toys to buy (with tickets, the new currency for that event) and tier 0/dungeon set 1 transmog gear.
    Huh, not only do they have T0, they also have T0.5 there. Same prices as the T0 pieces.
    And the snowflakes are already spasming over it, how it should be "exclusive". Man, fuck that. I spent the better part of a -year- pugging my entire Tier 0 set back in Vanilla and I'm more than fine with seeing others have it (especially considering that it's not available as a drop any longer).

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The only way to be unique when transmog hits is by making your gear look like level 30 gear.

• Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    I went for the Dark Herring (FOR ME SEEKS YOUR LIFE!). Plenty of fishing pools for him.

• Options
    forty wrote:
    Out of curiosity, do the WotLK vehicles with ilevel scaling keep scaling up with the (comparatively insane) ilevels we have now? Like how powerful is an Ulduar demolisher in ilevel 370+ gear? Are people soloing Flame Leviathan yet?

Yes it keeps scaling. And who knows :P I do know I tried to do an Ulduar 25 pug last week and they actually wiped on it. I still can't believe it (well, I *can* but my god)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I went for the Dark Herring (FOR ME SEEKS YOUR LIFE!). Plenty of fishing pools for him.

WoWScrnShot_030210_045316.jpg

and it was the very next fish!

• Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    So rather than making a thread in some other god-forsaken forum I figured I'd ask this here.

I've just come back after leaving right after Cata launch. Now that I'm locked in for 12 months I want to get a character to 85, but my old main is uh, kinda defunct.

See, I used to play a Death Knight, but I did that because I loved how Death Knight DPS used to function. I liked that you were essentially GCD capped at all times, and if you missed even one part of your rotation it would all fall apart. I liked that I was always pressing a button no matter what.

The new rune system kinda ruined that. Now I spend a lot of time just sitting there, staring into space when my ADHD demands I be pressing more buttons.

So what other classes have that same level of action required? It doesn't have be a super high skill level, either. I just want to have something to do other than stare at skills cooling down and hope for procs.

Play Frost. Get lot's of haste.

Problem solved! Still pretty GCD capped. Unholy is also very hectic, with a more demanding rotation. You may enjoy a Rogue.

• Options
    SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    forty wrote:

I'm pretty sure I did 25HM FL with 3 or 4 people a few months ago (2 demos) and he just blew right up.

Sporked on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    forty wrote:

I solo'd FL in 346/359 gear a while back and it was pretty painless. Though, we were two-manning it easily in 232/245 gear, so not sure how much that really says about the scaling.

XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    I'll never get that damn turtle

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    The only way to be unique when transmog hits is by making your gear look like level 30 gear.
    I'm quite surprised at just how much of a difference Transmog has made on individuality even on the PTR. I expected to see tons of Judgement and Bloodfang running around but that's really not the case. Some people are putting some pretty creative outfits together and it looks nice. Best of all, you're not staring at 30 clones of yourself any longer. Really can't wait for 4.3.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Halfmex wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    I'm quite surprised at just how much of a difference Transmog has made on individuality even on the PTR. I expected to see tons of Judgement and Bloodfang running around but that's really not the case. Some people are putting some pretty creative outfits together and it looks nice. Best of all, you're not staring at 30 clones of yourself any longer. Really can't wait for 4.3.

You know I actually spent all weekend farming vanilla greens on my hunter :P There are some pretty damn good looking sets. Between the AH and flying around with SilverDragon trying to find rares, it was actually kind of fun to build them up :P Though my hunter is starting to run out of space.. may have to mail em to an alt in the mean time :P

P.S. - if anyone is interested, I stumbled on kind of a neat addon:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mogit

Not sure happy with the interface, but the nice thing about it is you can browse gear pretty nicely with it (six pieces at a time, not sure if that is configurable). You can even search by color which is kind of amazing to me. I believe it also lists where each item is available, and it will tell you about look-alikes.

Like I said, interface is a little wonky. You can only seem to browse one slot at a time (unless I'm missing something), though you can start building sets which I haven't messed with, but presumably this is how you'd see the whole outfit. Didn't see anyway to find, say, all Bloodfang gear or something.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote:

• Options
    Riale wrote:
    So rather than making a thread in some other god-forsaken forum I figured I'd ask this here.

I've just come back after leaving right after Cata launch. Now that I'm locked in for 12 months I want to get a character to 85, but my old main is uh, kinda defunct.

See, I used to play a Death Knight, but I did that because I loved how Death Knight DPS used to function. I liked that you were essentially GCD capped at all times, and if you missed even one part of your rotation it would all fall apart. I liked that I was always pressing a button no matter what.

The new rune system kinda ruined that. Now I spend a lot of time just sitting there, staring into space when my ADHD demands I be pressing more buttons.

So what other classes have that same level of action required? It doesn't have be a super high skill level, either. I just want to have something to do other than stare at skills cooling down and hope for procs.

Play Frost. Get lot's of haste.

Problem solved! Still pretty GCD capped. Unholy is also very hectic, with a more demanding rotation. You may enjoy a Rogue.
    Yup, 2H frost and Unholy when you get a lot of haste are very button mashy. Arguably more so than they were in WotLK since you're on a 1 second GCD instead of 1.5.

He wants "pressing more buttons" and less/no "time just sitting there," so a rogue is pretty much the opposite of what he should be playing. Rogues definitely have downtime waiting for energy.

Unrelated, but I should probably look into getting my JCs to 525 skill soon. They're both at the 510 to 515 region since the current 525 recipes are useless and there's been no reason to push for it with the crappy fire prism recipe or spamming meta gems. I know we're a couple weeks to a month away from 4.3, but I should probably be ready to learn the epic gem cuts as soon as the patch hits. Even though epic gems are apparently going to be super rare.

I'll still buy them all right away on my druid anyway, since he'll have over 250 JC tokens before the patch hits. It's a shame he's on a dying horde server, so the market for them is probably going to be pretty small.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    forty wrote:

Yes, it's entirely possible to solo Flame Leviathan. It's a bit tricky since it involves setting up the vehicles properly and not getting killed when you switch(have to get the timing right) but it can be done.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

My wife got the turtle the third time she cast her line out in Northrend. She also found four BoE epics during 1-60 on her first character. Green proto-drake on her second egg. Her WoW luck is absolutely disgusting.

I still don't have the turtle. :(

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:
    You know I actually spent all weekend farming vanilla greens on my hunter :P There are some pretty damn good looking sets. Between the AH and flying around with SilverDragon trying to find rares, it was actually kind of fun to build them up :P Though my hunter is starting to run out of space.. may have to mail em to an alt in the mean time :P

P.S. - if anyone is interested, I stumbled on kind of a neat addon:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mogit

Not sure happy with the interface, but the nice thing about it is you can browse gear pretty nicely with it (six pieces at a time, not sure if that is configurable). You can even search by color which is kind of amazing to me. I believe it also lists where each item is available, and it will tell you about look-alikes.

Like I said, interface is a little wonky. You can only seem to browse one slot at a time (unless I'm missing something), though you can start building sets which I haven't messed with, but presumably this is how you'd see the whole outfit. Didn't see anyway to find, say, all Bloodfang gear or something.
    Nice, yeah I've seen that addon before. I think WoW Insider did a piece on it, looked interesting.

I've actually been fairly fortunate lately in collecting a lot of my old gear. I'm 6/8 Bloodfang (missing chest and shoulders), 2/5 Deathmantle and 7/8 Slayer's. The rest of the tiers are still in my bank, so thank goodness for the Void Storage thing.

• Options
    I wonder if Conquerer or Protector is going to be the unlucky set token to get Monks added to it.

I selfishly wish they'd do an arbitrary reassignment of the classes on each token since at least 60% of our raids are fucking Vanquisher classes.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    They gonna have to redo tokens I would think. The current ones are fairly well balanced but adding another three spec class to one of them wouldn't be very cool.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    What happened when they added DKs? I barely raided in TBC (just a few annoying Karazhan PUGs was enough pain for me) so I don't really know what the token setup was pre-DK. I didn't pay attention to them as I was just in it for the badges. Was Vanq just druid/mage/rogue back then?