As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making new partition bootable, win7

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the situation

I ran out of room on my system drive. Since I imagine there will be deals come black friday/cyber monday i am hoping to put off buying a new drive til then

my plan is to create a slightly larger partition on my storage drive, and use that until i can by a new drive

was able to create a new partition and cloned my system drive over to the new partition. the problem is i can't seem to get it to actually boot from it.

i assumed that any boot things would have been cloned over but i am not sure if that was the case since my i changed the boot order in the bios it didn't do anythign and still booted from my system drive.

I tried making the new partition activebasically hung so i had to get into the bios and switch it back.

basically looking to dual boot but have both OSes be Win7

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    I think Win7 uses a separate 100mb partition for booting and other various stuff, so you need that one too. That partition is the only one that needs to be bootable too IIRC.

If you're still having problems, I would: delete the new system partition, unplug the old system drive, then install win7 on the empty space of the storage drive. Boot it from the storage drive, activate windows and all that stuff, THEN clone the old installation.

I wouldn't count on prices going down anytime soon. The flooding in Thailand has greatly affected prices, and I heard the prices might not go down until possibly March.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    After cloneing a win7 install to another hard drive of unequal size often I have found I had to run windows repair from the installation disk to get it to boot properly.

Unless your cloning program can copy the NT signature, which ive gotten it to boot under that circimstance.

When you do your clone do it 1:1 and resize the c drive after you booted into windows 7 using disk management.