As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for some kind of internet tablet device.

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not sure if what I'm after exists but I'll describe for you the product I am imagining and you tell me if it (or something like it) is obtainable outside of my dreams.

I picked up an iPhone about a year ago and the main way it has enriched my ife has been quick and easy internet browsing in a lightweight device. I find myself desiring an iPad for some larger screen real estate but as I have zero desire to do anything with my device other than browse the net I really don't want to pay the prices involved.

Does a similar dedicated (and hopefuly therefore cheaper) device exist?

Wants

Responsive touch screen operation
Speedy and smooth internets
Ability to play Flash would be nice I guess
Light weight device with a large screen
Wi-Fi

Not at all interested in

Cameras
Internal storage capacity
Physical keyboard
Ability to run apps
Mobile internet

So does such a thing exist or am I stuck waiting for first gen iPads to become dead cheap second hand?

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the Kindle Fire seems like it would suit your needs perfectly.

• Options
    Blimey it really does! However it seems the reason I hadn't really heard much about it up to now is that there are currently zero plans to release it here in the UK and importing (if possible) would probably erode most of that price advantage.

Foiled again!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    yeah, kindle fire

edit: oh nuts

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    You won't know until you try!

Barns and Noble just announced a response to the Fire I think, which is probably similar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nook_Tablet

• Options
    From a lunchtime of research I conclude that now would be terrible time to jump into this market. There seem to be cheap Android tablets around (Archos stuff mainly) but they really do look like the cheap shit they are in comparison to that sexy Kindle Fire for pretty much the same price.

Seems I must curse not living in a prime market and be patient for this next gen to reach me or look into importing for now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    From the ereader thread in the tech forum
    Cyvros wrote:
    Of interest to non-US peeps looking at the Fire: a dude in an Australian tech forum e-mailed Amazon about whether it would be possible to get it from the US and use it overseas. Looks like pretty much everything except the A/V subscription services and the Amazon marketplace will work fine overseas. Even Silk will work.
    Thanks for your interest in the Kindle Fire. I understand that you will be taking the Kindle fire outside the US. You can read and download books and also browse the internet if you have access to a Wi-Fi connection but US only contents like the Amazon Instant Videos and MP3 streaming features wouldn't work.

So if you know someone over here, maybe a forum goer could help, you could probably easily snag one.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    You're in the UK so you'll actually get better support for something like the Kobo Vox. It runs Android but isn't as locked-in to Amazon.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    From what I've heard in the tablet market there is basically iPad at one end with other $500 tablets (in which case why would you buy anything else over the iPad) and then there's shit tablets down at the $200-$300 mark. Apparently the cheaper ones are awful and run old tech. The amazon fire is supposed to change all that but if you can't get it then there's not much benefit in that.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire, and Nook Thingy are all essentially similar but are not running older tech. They are each unique in that they tie into their respective stores, but a lot of that depends on what you currently use.

If you're currently an Amazon Prime customer, the Fire is great if you want a 7" tablet because you can watch Prime videos on it for free. But I'm not sure if Prime is available in the UK, which drastically alters the product offering. Kobo has direct ties with UK bookstores, which is a big plus, and the Vox is essentially similar without the Silk browser.

Of course, the Vox is actually something you can buy now, whereas the Fire doesn't ship for another week and the Nook tablet isn't available yet either.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast