As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Elite

StormwatcherStormwatcher BleghBlughRegistered User regular
I have an Xbox 360 Elite plugged on a wifi router which receives the signal from the main router. It works, but it's kinda too much hardware for such a simple task.
I also have this: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?model=TL-WN721N
Is there a way to use that usb adapter with the Xbox? Searching on google only mentioned the official adapter and the solution I'm already using.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
camo_sig2.png
Stormwatcher on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Doubtful. The only one I've actually managed to get working on my 360 was the regular XBOX USB adapter. Everything else is pretty much ignored.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The only solutions that will really work are the offiical dongle, some sort of solution that involves bridging to ethernet, or one of the new Xboxes that has wifi built-in.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Ok, then, thanks.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I just use my PC as a bridge and my 360 gets "wireless" that way. Not ideal for people who don't have their 360 next to their PC's, but it works.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    I used a Dlink wireless bridge that was flashed with the firmware for the game adapter Dlink used to make. It was $18 bucks on eBay 7 years ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-802-11g-Wireless-Bridge-DWL-G810-BDWLG810-B1-Gaming-Adapter-STB-/130594724357?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item1e680d5a05 this is what I have, and it is a champ, but that's only 10 seconds of ebay. You should be able to find cheaper.

Then again, that'd just replace a wireless router with a wireless bridge, so, I think you'd be unhappy with that solution.

• Options
    Yeah, it just strikes me as silly having a router just there, connecting the stupid Xbox to the rest of the network, while I could use a spare USB dongle. But thanks anyway.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Can I hijack this thread for my own Xbox 360 query?

My original Xbox 360 either red rings or freezes with a checkerboard pattern upon start up. That's fine, I get it, I'm lucky it lasted 4 years. I'm going to get a 360S, the 250GB model.

Thing is, my original Xbox360 has a 90GB third party hard drive. So, maybe instead of buying the 250GB model for $300, I could just get the 4GB Arcade model and substitute in my original 90GB hard drive, right? That would save me a hundred bucks. Is this feasible?

For some reason it seems almost too simple. If this is possible, why doesn't everyone with a broken Xbox just buy a cheap new one and insert their original hard drive?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The Xbox 360 S only works with the old model hard drives if you rip them out of their casing and do some other physical modification of the drive. And I'm not sure if the newer chipset will lock out additional third party drives compared to the older hardware.

The old drive casing looks like this:
    81_P_1257101096360.jpg

The new drive casing looks like this (and you can see the slot it gets put into):
    xbox-250gb-hdd-1.jpg

• Options
    Also, I'm kinda miffed that my X-Fi only accepts stereo Dolby from the optical in, coming from the Xbox. That's lame, Creative.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Oh. Okay, of course they'd do something like that. Good to know, thanks.

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    Here's my own dumb XBox newbie question:

Is it really OK to get a 3rd party hard drive? I've seen people on other forums say you can get banned for using them, but I don't know if they have any idea what they're talking about.

Also, what do you all use for recharging your controllers? I'm assuming most people don't just keep replacing batteries.

• Options
    GenlyAiGenlyAi Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The Xbox 360 S only works with the old model hard drives if you rip them out of their casing and do some other physical modification of the drive. And I'm not sure if the newer chipset will lock out additional third party drives compared to the older hardware.

Ok, let me hijack the thread for my question: my xbox with a 20gb old hard drive just died (sound but no picture). If I buy a refurbished old form factor xbox (like this) can I just pop my old drive in and it should work?

GenlyAi on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    GenlyAi wrote:

Ok, let me hijack the thread for my question: my xbox with a 20gb old hard drive just died (sound but no picture). If I buy a refurbished old form factor xbox (like this) can I just pop my old drive in and it should work?

I'm almost completely certain yes. Old form hard drives are effectively interchangeable (the difference might be that you'll have two drives--the HD, and the internal drive--on the new one perhaps).

To move data off an old form Xbox 360 to a new form Xbox 360 S, you need a transfer cable (and a drive of equal size or better in the new one).

• Options
    Thanks! I can even confirm this now as I tried it last night with a used Xbox I got from Gamestop.

Unfortunately, though it worked perfectly for the first 5min, it RROD'd immediately thereafter.

Does anybody have experience with these used Xboxes? Obviously I can return this one, but is there any point in getting another, or are they all likely garbage? Are any stores better than others at fixing the broken machines they get in?

• Options
    I know a few people who have bought used Xbox 360s, and they've had pretty variable experiences (I'm dealing with a used PS3 right now, and while the group of people I know who boughted used ones is smaller, it's also a little variable, leaving me to live in total fear).

I think you're basically taking a chance in your case, or relying on whatever extended warranty options are available to you (besides Microsoft's own coverage on the unit, which depending on the age, might be over).

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    theres also a fairly good risk of a used xbox being banned from live, and with the lack of warranty as well I don't think it's worth the gamble.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    I've never known anyone who's purchased a banned Xbox 360--and I've known quite a few people who've bought used ones.

There is a chance, but it's rather slim, given the periodic amnesty give-outs. Technical problems seem more likely.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I'll give it another try.