As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Critical Failures
Captain Marcus - Dr. Kristofer von Todt - Professor of Biology and Psychology/Researcher
Dread_Cthulhu - Oscar Schmidt - Lawyer/Legal Consultant
El Skid - Guy Laperdue - Private Investigator
Peff - Javier Cubilla - Doctor of Medicine/Medical Consultant
Rucdoc - Mathew Stadler - Computer Consultant
Cayrus - Agent Ford - Former Secret Service and Personnel Minder
Ageri - Susan Summers - Paranormal Consultant
m2aRg.jpg

EON Corporate Headquarters-
The sun is barely cresting the horizon when you all arrive at EON's gleaming new HQ. The building is almost deserted at this hour, and the few early risers seem almost alien in among the long rows of vacant desks. A towering security guard keys you into the main conference room. At the end of the massive table, Ben Jurgen sits asleep, with his head cradled in his hands and a commercial coffee maker bubbling softly beside him. He starts as you enter, rubs his eyes and lights a cigarette while you take your seats. As if on cue, a middle aged woman enters through the other door and passes out manilla folders to each of you. Almost grunting, Jurgen says to you "Yeah, hi, you've all got a plane to catch, so we're just going to skip the fuckin' pleasantries here." He flips on a slide projector and takes a long draw from his coffee.
HCDnU.jpg

"That right there is Dr. Jeremiah Morgan. Dr. Morgan is the head of research and development at our New Mexico facility. For the last three weeks he's been laid up in the Albuquerque General Hospital recovering from a heart transplant. It would have been two weeks, but he started on with some serious depression. Forgot his wife's name, crying fits, screaming fits, just a real mess. Last night, somewhere before midnight, it seems Dr. Gammell decided to check himself out of the Hospital without mentioning it to anyone. He left behind his medication and this note for his wife..." A new slide comes up, with a fuzzily faxed copy of a handwritten letter.

Dear Mary,
I know now why I have been acting I am so strange as of late. I think there is some I other...thing. Some ghost or demon it is me is trying to take control I live of my soul. Pathetic Fool! This other me keeps filling my head with the most awful images and voices. I can feel what I let you trying to already has control of my! body. My mind is nothing going and I am afraid that if you Louisa come here, I might even hurt kill you.you stupid God help me! Useless Shut up get out of my head, so cold dark cold I must get control of my reclaim my head Mary, Louisa if you ever ever try to stop me loved me, then please stay away from me you are already dead. My view of the world is mine is so dark dark, and cold cold and dark what is happening has happened, oh thank you to me. I am please, Mary Louisa is here! know that I always live loved you and alw- I still live.

Jurgen gives you a minute to read over the letter, as he massages his forehead. He clears his throat. "The man has gone off the reservation here. Some kind of psychotic break. Maybe. Or maybe it's an act, and he's looking to sell off what he knows. Either we have a nut job wandering around liable to day or do something stupid, or we have a conniving disloyal employee. The man has piles of sensitive EON secrets in his head, and we have no idea what he's likely to do. Erm...some of the initiatives he was running out there...well, they may fall into some pretty...gray areas ...legally . The police are already looking in to this, and the local news stations are asking around too. I will not let this nut hurt the company because he popped the wrong pill. You're on the next plane out of National to Albuquerque to run damage control. If he's in police custody, you're his counsel, keep him from saying anything. If he's on his own, you bring him in, we'll get him private care. If he is selling us out, well... I'm sure you'll put a stop to that."

Mr. Jurgen checks his watch. "Alright, we've got twenty minutes before you have to leave. The files should fill you in on the details, but if you've got questions, ask them now."

PsychoLarry1 on

• rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mathew finished reading the note, and walked over the the coffee pot. "We'll need to see where he was working and I'm hoping you'll clear us to go over his files for the last month before he went into the hospital. I assume they are using a standard set of the company's computer equipment, so I won't be needing anything from my RV." He finished pouring himself a cup of coffee and downing it just as fast. Mathew then grabbed his bag, which he had already stowed a few changes of clothes and his Glock as well as some extra ammo. He then picked up a rather large looking box which had Compaq printed on the side of it
    Mathew is wearing his standard outfit, canvas shirt, covering his bulletproof vest, jeans, his running shoes, his trench coat and wide brimmed hat. He had a holster attached to his belt behind him for his glock however it is empty as the glock in in his bag. also in the bag are: portable storage disk drive, 5 disks, 5 full clips for the glock, as well as the one in the gun, maglight flash light and 4 changes of clothes, all the same.

Mathew is also carrying $500 in cash in his wallet.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "If he is selling our secrets to others, or perhaps is violently insane, do we have permission to use lethal force? Not that I'd wish such a thing, but if it comes down to 'violently insane and yelling company secrets' or 'safely silenced', I'd prefer the part where I get to keep both my job and the Company's reputation. I'd also rather not rule out the possibility that he is being "programmed" somewhere by a cult. Based on my experience in Psychology, that letter is highly suspicious."

"Do we have any operatives/Company property in the Albuquerque area?"

Items:
    In bag:
    Handgun, .45 automatic, 1. Clips for such, 5. Complete Medical kit, 1. Hand-held Taser, 1. Spare trenchcoat, 1. Lab coat, 1. Geiger Counter, 1. Flashlight, 1. $1000 in cash.
    On person: shoulder holster for handgun, 1. Good two-piece suit, 1. Dress shoes. Wallet with credit card, identification, and two hundred in cash.

• PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    "Will we have access to his records at Albuquerque General? Was the procedure due to a stroke or preventative? Do we know if the doctors had him on any meds for his depression? It's possible this is an adverse reaction to medication and we'll have to counteract the affects if he's still taking them."

Acknowledging Dr Todt's question and nodding in agreement, "Access to a medical facility may prove useful."

Equipment:
    In Bag:
    4x Complete First Aid kits
    1x Camera (35mm)
    5x Film for Camera @ 36 exposures
    $500 in cash
    3x Jeans
    3x Shirts (Twill)
    1x Good Hiking Boots
    1x Survival knife

On Person:
    1x Medical Case (carried)
    Wearing: dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes, leather jacket, belt with sheath for knife
    Small Moleskin and Pen (in Jacket)
    Wallet: picture of mother, appropriate IDs, $200 in cash

Equipment to follow:
    1x Good Suit
    1x Rifle (Browning .30-06)
    5x boxes of rifle ammo (.30-06)
    1x EMT Kit
    1x Tripod for camera

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    "Mr Stadler: We're leaving you all on a need-to-know basis regarding Dr. Morgan's work, at the discretion of the director on duty. If he deems it necessary, by all means, but we need to maintain plausible deniability as much as possible. Our equipment there is industry standard, so I'm sure you won't have any trouble.

Dr. von Todt: You know I can't officially condone any violence against Dr. Morgan or any rival representatives he may be speaking to. I trust in your judgement of the situation, and the knowledge that you'll do what's best for the company. Of course, if you do find you need to act aggressively in..."self-defense", you will have the full support of the EON legal department at your disposal. And as to our personnel, our facility is down the road outside of Socorro. Utilize those facilities as you see fit, but please don't interfere with their work unless absolutely necessary.

Dr. Cubilla: I can't promise that the hospital will allow access, but we will send along our request for the records. Mrs. Morgan has asked us in as well, so I'm certain she will do what she can. Dr. Morgan was initially brought in for a minor heart attack, and the physicians deemed him a candidate for immediate transplant. He was quite a fan of steaks, as I understand. As to his medication, I'm afraid you'll have to find out from someone on site."

There is a sharp knock, and the security guards open the door behind you and nod to Mr. Jurgen.

"Ah, yes, I'm afraid we're out of time, the chopper will take you to the runway, and you should be in Albuquerque by noon. Remember gentlemen, Dr. Morgan is an asset to this company, and we would like to see him return to work sometime in the near future. Good luck."

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited October 2011
    Mathew grabs his manilla folder on his way out of the room, leaving the empty mug on the conference room table in it's place. He is already reviewing the note in his mind hoping the trip to the airport will be quick so he can study the photograph more to see if he can get anything more out of it.
    not sure if there is anything more in the letter but hoping to use my cryptography skills to study it to see if anything, other than general insanity, is hidden within the letter.

Cryptography roll = 1d100 → [7] = (7)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3240362/

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited October 2011
    You study the letter carefully. Though the faxed copy is quite poor and the handwriting shaky and erratic, you can discern two separate styles.

Dear Mary,
    I know now why I have been acting I am so strange as of late. I think there is some I other...thing. Some ghost or demon it is me is trying to take control I live of my soul. Pathetic Fool! This other me keeps filling my head with the most awful images and voices. I can feel what I let you trying to already has control of my! body. My mind is nothing going and I am afraid that if you Louisa come here, I might even hurt kill you. You stupid God help me! Useless Shut up get out of my head, so cold dark cold I must get control of my reclaim my head Mary, Louisa if you ever ever try to stop me loved me, then please stay away from me you are already dead. My view of the world is mine is so dark dark, and cold cold and dark what is happening has happened, oh thank you to me. I am please, Mary Louisa is here! know that I always live loved you and alw- I still live.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Guy smiled as he sat back in his chair, contemplating the mission. "A mad scientiste, eh?" he said thoughtfully. "Zis sounds like eet might get interesting, no?"

Standing, he moves to follow Matthew, but stops briefly to ask a question of Jurgen: "This scientiste, he is a member of any clubs, or have any 'obbies that we should know about? This type of thing, it could help us to track 'im down faster."

Equipment:
    Clothing (casual dress pants and blazer with shirt underneath)

Sunglasses

Wallet with:
    ID
    $2000 in cash
    A chequebook
    Some prophylactics

Playing-card case containing a cushioned vial of chloroform

Handkerchief

Bag containing a few changes of clothing (wrinkle-free pants and blazer, Hawaiian shirt, dark jeans)

"I haven't the slightest idea. Perhaps there's something in his files."

As you ride to the airport and board the sleek Gulfstream III, you skim through the folder on Dr. Morgan for mention of any clubs or hobbies. You find that he was an avid golfer until his heart problems forced him to stop. He is the treasurer of the local chapter of the American Legion, and an officer in the county VFW. He has twice taken short sabbaticals to teach as a visiting professor at his Alma Mater, Cal Tech. Both of his children have grown and moved out of the Southwest.

• Dread__CthulhuDread__Cthulhu Registered User regular
    Oscar remains slightly apart, frowning a the unveiled references to overt acts of violence as he listens to the briefing.

The plane touches down at noon, and you exit somewhat better rested and well satisfied by the plane's fully stocked bar and gourmet breakfast. It's just warm enough that you can feel yourself begin to sweat as you step onto the tarmac. Squinting and shading your eyes from the blinding sunlight, you can see a large black SUV approaching from the direction of the central concourse. It pulls to a stop in front of you and a balding, middle aged man with a thick, black beard steps out. "You all ready? I'm Mason, your driver. Supposed to get you guy to the hospital as soon as possible."

He opens the doors for you and begins to load your luggage into the back of the truck.

Offering a hand "Mason, pleasure. It always this warm down here? I'm starting to regret bringing the jacket." Taking off his jacket and motioning to the vehicle "What do you say, friends, I'm eager to take a look at Dr. Morgan's chart."

steam_sig.png
    Getting in the SUV Mathew explains what he has found in the letter. " We are going to have to look into this Louisa person, she may provide a connection, we also may need to be very cautious, I think the other script could cause problems." Mathew then hands his now edited copy of the note to Kris, "What do you think?"

Original Creepy Janitor

"Oh, it'll get hotter in the next few weeks. Might be you'll need that coat at night though." With the last of the luggage loaded into the truck, Mason climbs back into the drivers seat and starts the engine.

"It is not so bad 'ere at nighttime... I find that so long as I wear long sleeves, I am just fine for ze most part."

Guy waited his turn and glanced at the text "Sounds like he ees of two minds about things for now. Maybe 'e has multiple personalités, and Louisa ees a second wife or girlfriend?"

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    -For PsychoLarry 1-> "Dr. von Todt: You know I can't officially condone any violence against Dr. Mason or any rival representatives he may be speaking to." I assume this is a typo, and our friendly driver is not someone we need to be wary of (at least according to Jurgen)?

Dr. von Todt gets in the car with the rest of them, taking off his jacket as a concession to the heat.

"So what division are you from, Mr. Mason?"

Fixed it, thanks for picking that up
    Driving through the gate and onto the highway, Mason looks over at the Doctor. "Eh, you mean at EON? I guess I'd be considered "part-time" help. I drive people when they need it, or pick up orders for them. Done a bit of work on their fences and the plumbing. Sometimes I deliver lunch. Just whatever they need doing, I'm a pretty handy guy. I plan on going out for the security staff next month! Got my weapons qualification forms all ready and everything!"
    JEbzN.jpg

The truck pulls into the parking lot of the Presbyterian Hospital, a rather plain complex of brick and concrete. Near the entrance, several police cars sit beside two television vans, and you can see a few men hauling equipment from the vans and carrying it into the lobby. Two women in dull blue medical scrubs are smoking near the front entrance and speaking to an officer in uniform.

edited October 2011
    "Hospitals really are not my thing, Mason can you run me over to the office? I really need to get setup and begin going through what information I can get into. Also what's the number for the front desk, that way if you guys find something I really need to know you can call and they can put you through to where I am, I'm sure they will have the hospital number and I can call you if I find anything interesting."

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

"Ah, a hospital. My kind of place."
    The Doctor glances over at the activity near the entrance.
    "News attention. Not good. Not good at all. One of our more, charismatic, members should probably talk to an administrator to deny news access. I'd do it, but I'm not the most charming of people."

He puts his suit jacket on as he gets out of the car. Better to look formal in these occasions.

"Perhaps I should go and talk to ze media and see if I can find out what is going on..." muses Guy to himself. Out loud, to the rest he said "I will let you know what is going on as soon as I am able. I am sure zere will be a bright impressionable young reporter zere who can tell me what zis is all about. Pardonnez-moi, gentelmen..."

Using the rear-view mirror Guy straightens out his hair and ruffles his collar just so, and wanders over to the gaggle of reporters to find someone to talk to (preferrably of the female persuasion, of course).

Verfluchten franzosen.

"As a backup plan I will go talk to an administrator myself. Anyone care to come along before we see the patient?"

Dr. von Todt gets out of the car and strides purposefully into the hospital. He studies the orderlies for a few seconds before picking one that looks weak and will easily submit to authority.

"Excuse me sir. My name is Dr. Kristofer von Todt, Ph.D. in Medicine, Ph.D. in Psychology, Masters in Biology. I'm one of the assigned doctors from EON, sent here to look at Dr. Morgan's case. My colleague, Dr. Cubilla, will be by shortly. Now, if you could direct me to the patient?"

Psychology
    1d100, 38

Taking up Dr. von Todt's offer, Javier follows after him as he disappears into the building.

Catching the last part of his inquiries to the orderly, he joins in "Ah, good I caught you. I am Dr. Javier Cubilla, I'm sure Dr Todt has already explained our needs. I'll be needing access to our patient's chart, immediately. Now if you don't mind showing us the way?" Javier motions with his hand down the hall both as invitation to lead as well as dismissing any further conversation, hoping it would be enough to discourage the orderly from asking too many questions.

steam_sig.png
    Rucdoc
    "As long as you don't mind the wait, it's fine with me. Be round about 90 minutes down to the Socorro base." Mason opens up the glove box, which is full of cassette tapes. "Hope you don't mind Western music." He turns to Schmidt and nods after the group walking into the hospital. "Do you all mind? It'll be close to dinner before I can be back around to collect you."
    El Skid, Marcus and Peff
    The hospital lobby is abuzz with activity. A number of patients and visitors sit clustered around the televisions set up in the waiting area. The nurses and doctors all look exhausted and harried, and the woman at the front desk stares balefully at a ringing telephone as she massages her temple. A group of reporters, photographers and cameramen are standing off to the side, interviewing a shirtless, slumped man with fresh bandages on his left arm and shoulder. His left eye is swollen. As Guy approaches, he notices that the sound from the TVs echoes the talk from the interview.

The orderly look over at you both and you notice he is visibly shaking. "What...you...oh...Morgan? I guess you'd better...uh...I think Dr. Humphries. I mean, I think you should talk to Dr. Humphries. Or his wife? Mrs. Morgan I mean, not Mrs. Humphries. They're, you know, they're down the hall. The big door on your left, er...hospital administration."

edited October 2011
    "No western is fine, I'm going to take a quick nap, wake me when we get there." Mathew said as he leaned back in his seat and lowered his hat over his eyes.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

"I hadn't realized Mrs. Morgan was here. Thank you." Leaning into Dr. Todt, Javier whispers "You think Mrs. Morgan would know anything about the other woman mentioned in the letter? Louisa?" Thoughtfully scratching his chin and sighing at all of the commotion in the lobby, "Let's see if we can't get our hands on Dr. Morgan's chart from administration, after you, doctor."

steam_sig.png
    "Nein. Lousia might be the expression of a reflexive guilt hidden away in his mind, or she might be a mistress or former lover. In my experience, any "other woman" is usually a bad thing. We'll meet with the administrator, this Dr. Humphries, first,, then review the chart and discuss options. After that, we'll have a look at our erstwhile colleague."

Dr. Todt sets off down the hall to find Dr. Humphries. On his way, he perks up his ears, attempting to glean information from the hubbub surrounding the injured man in the lobby.

Listen Check
    1d100, 22. A pass.

Guy slid away from the pair and walked over toward where the reporters were gathered, looking for all the world as though he belonged here and knew where he was going.

Captain Marcus hears this over the TV, while El Skid hears it directly from the interviewee.
    "My name is Donald Hernandez, and my daughter Louisa was kidnapped from her room here this morning..." The man, Donald, takes a deep stuttering breath, and sounds on the verge of tears. "I came to visit, just before work...it was early...and some man came in. He hit me with some sort of club...He just kept hitting me...and he took her. She's...she's just had a pancreatic transplant, and she's only just recovered. She...Louisa, she's only twelve years old...please..."

One of the plain clothes detectives steps up to the microphones as an officer leads a sobbing Mr. Hernandez away. "At this time we will not be taking any questions in this matter. If anyone watching this has any information regarding Louisa Hernandez's whereabouts, or the identity of her abductor, please contact the Albuquerque Police Department immediately, and do not attempt to engage the suspect. We will be releasing a sketch of the attacker based on Mr. Hernandez's description later this afternoon. Thank you." The police officers and Mr. Hernandez disappear into a door around the corner, ignoring the shouted questions from the gathered press.

Guy approaches a stunning, tanned brunette dressed in a broad-shouldered, light blue coat and pastel yellow blouse who is practically vibrating as she speaks to her cameraman.

Doctors Todt and Cubilla follow the nervous orderly's directions into an office full of frazzled secretaries and tired police officers. Standing in the doorway of the main office at the back of the room, you can see a portly, balding doctor engaged in a heated three way conversation with a police captain and an older woman in a beige dress. They appear to largely be yelling over each other, but you definitely make out the names Humphries and Morgan.

rucdoc
    The twangy sounds of Woody Guthrie and Johnny Cash lull you to sleep as Mason cruises down the nearly empty I-25. You briefly rouse once as he passes through Socorro, a miniscule, flat little speck of a town surrounded by farmland. Stiff and slightly groggy, you wake up as he pulls up to the gate of the EON Advanced Research Facility. Nestled at the base of a small mountain, the facility seems to be a small collection of linked trailers and a medium sized warehouse. Though the site seems fairly small and remote, it is surrounded by two rows huge, razor-wired fences, and guard towers at each corner. You can see a guard patrolling with a German Shepherd on your right, with an assault rifle on his back. "Hey hoss, we made it. Get yer badge out."

Mathew raises his left hand and moves his hat back off his eyes and into it's rightful place, while reaching into his coat pocket and fishing out his badge. "Thanks, I needed that nap."

Original Creepy Janitor

edited November 2011
    Out of earshot of the press, and on the way to Dr. Humphries, Dr.Todt whispers to Cubilla. "So that's Louisa. Scheisse. We know -nothing-, remember?"

Upon arriving at the three-way argument Dr. Todt steps in.

"Hello, I'm from EON. My name is Dr. von Todt and this is my colleague, Dr. Cubilla. We were sent here to help Dr. Morgan."

Captain Marcus on
    edited November 2011
    Javier put a finger to his nose and winks in acknowledgement to Dr. Todt.

Trying to pickup on the argument, Javier listens in while following Dr. Todt up to the argument.

Listen
    1d100, 61 I think my ears drums explode, fail.

Extending a hand to the man he believe to be Dr. Humphries, "Doctor. Hopefully we're not interrupting..."

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2011
    Guy pulled a card out of his wallet and scribbled something on it before walking over to the Brunette and stopping for a moment, obviously waiting to talk to her. While waiting, he took in her mood, her mannerisms and the little details about her he would need- such as that she was with a local NBC affiliate here in town. After Guy had listened politely for a few moments, her cameraman noticed him and motioned towards him, obviously relieved to have an excuse for a break from the rather intense young lady.

"Allo madame" said Guy politely, if rather seriously, motioning to take her hand. Rather surprised, the reporter gave him her hand, which he kissed gently. "I am a private investigator who 'as been assigned to find out about zis... horrific abduction by a member of ze extended family of zis girl. I am new to town, but I was 'oping to explore ze option of sharing information wis someone in your... line of work, to 'elp us both do our jobs more...efficiently, is ze right word? Would something like zis be of interest? I would report anysing I find to you as soon as possible (and not to any ozer news agencies, but of course!), and you could give me any tips zat come through your...agency's pipeline?"

With that he finally gave her a chance to respond, flashing his honest-and-competant-and-very-interested-in-you-too-bad-this-is-such-a-horrible-situation-smile #3.

Persuade Check
    Persuade check to convince the reporter he's genuine, and to work with him. (1d100=66) PASS

Also, if she was saying anything useful to her cameraman that Guy overheard that'd be good to know.

El Skid on
    edited November 2011
    rucdoc
    The guard at the gatepost looks into the car. "You're with the East Coast team? Director Codburn wants to see you." He points to the warehouse. "Go into the main building, you'll find on the second floor. Mason, you can check for orders at the loading dock, otherwise you'll have to wait in the commissary."

"Oh, don't worry about me, I'm headed back to AQ. See you round buddy." Mason drives off as you head into the building. Inside you realize the facility extends far into the mountain. On the opposite wall sits a huge, reinforced vault door flanked by guards in full body armor. Heading up the stairs, you reach a well appointed waiting area, where a short, severe looking man with a military haircut sits at a massive desk. Without a word he nods to the double doors behind him and presses a button, which causes the doors to swing open. You step into the office, and a towering, gaunt man quickly rolls up the blueprint on his desk and greets you.

"Ah, you'd be...Stadler. I'm Director Codburn. Didn't expect you lot to show up quite so soon. I suppose you have some questions about the missing doctor?"
    Marcus and Peff
    Distracted from their argument, the three continue to speak over each other "The hell is an EON?" "Oh, thank god, these idiots won't-" "This better be important." The doctor finally holds up a hand, and the other two quiet for a moment. "Listen! This bickering is wasting time! I have a hospital to run! Now, you two are the private investigators? What is it you want?"

El Skid
    (The girl can't be more than 23, and seems a bit overly exuberant considering the circumstances. The logo on her microphone is for a local ABC affiliate, and from the few muttered responses from the cameraman, you glean that her name is Amanda. She and the cameraman seem to mostly be discussing her makeup, and the best spot to shoot her report.)

"Wow, that is some accent! Are you, um, Italian?" She smiles widely. "Oh, but you're here about the kidnapping too! Oh, isn't it just incredible?! I mean, it's awful of course, but wow, he must have just walked right out with her! It's going to get so much play tonight! Sorry, sorry, it's just, this is my first big story. Wow, and you have information too?! Oh, that's just great! You can be my first leak!" Her face suddenly becomes deadpan. "Sources close to the Hernandez family say that...oh this is just so fantastic!"

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited November 2011
    "Director Codburn, pleased to meet you." Mathew said as he shook Codburns hand. "I know your not gonna to give me too much background on what Dr. Morgan was working on, but I am gonna need to confirm your system security, verify that any logins or system connection information that Dr. Morgan had or had access to has been disabled. I may be over stepping my position but I'd like to see your server room, as well as Dr. Morgans office. I'll also need a place to work and working ethernet connection, and a secure outside line. If at all possible I'd like to see as much of his project notes for the last 6 months."
    Fast Talk 1d100 → [65] = (65) Fail
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3258121/

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

"We're doctors, not private investigators. The Company takes pride in taking care of its employees, and Dr. Morgan is no exception. My associate and I are highly trained and specialized. Dr. Humphries, we'll take up as little of your valuable time as possible. We simply need to look at the patient's charts and we can get right to work helping him."

Dr. Todt looks at Mrs. Morgan.
    "Rest assured we will do everything in our power to help your husband."

edited November 2011
    Guy made a motion to carefully cut off the reporter's babbling and smiled reassuringly.

"Hah. I'm afraid I've only just arrived in town, so zere is nothing yet- I haven't even settled myself into a hotel yet. I'll start checking out ze case as soon as we are done talking. I've just found in my previous jobs on high-profile cases that having a little...contact in the press can be highly beneficial to both parties. Having two people looking into ze matter makes ze odds of success increase quite a bit, plus ze networks' contacts often have access to information I do not. And of course, if I manage to crack ze case, I can usually get the network a first crack at the story, usually with an interview if it ees a happy ending."

Reeling in the reporter, he finished with a seductive-but-not-over-the-top-wink (#4),

"Even if we do not manage to land zis case- ze girl is found un'armed by someone else- It is always good to develop certain...relationships between professionals, no?"

El Skid on
    Nodding in agreement with his colleague "While EON spares no expense when it comes to caring for it's employees, time is money. If there's nothing further, I would like to take a look at our patient as soon as we can."

Turning to Dr. Humphries, "If you don't mind, I have some questions about the treatments our patient was under going post-op. Can we discuss them more in depth, perhaps somewhere more confidential?"

steam_sig.png
    El Skid
    "Oh that'd be just fantastic! I have to shoot this for the 5 o'clock now, but we should meet up tonight, after we've got a little more to...talk about. Here." Amanda writes an address on a business card and hands it to you. "It's, like, the only bar worth going to in this city. Meet me there at 9?" She gives a broad smile and walks briskly over to her cameraman before you have a chance to respond.
    Marcus and Peff
    Dr. Humphries barely seems to be listening to you. "Whatever you are, I don't care. I'm the administrator here, I had nothing to do with Morgan's treatment, you'll have to take that up with Dr. Weiss, he's probably floating around here somewhere. Anything else, talk to my staff, I'm very busy. Mrs. Morgan, you'll need to give written permission for these men to see your husband's files. Captain, I'm sorry, but you'll have to put your diatribe on hold, I have to go see to my hospital now." Dr. Humphries walks back into his office, and a young secretary follows, shutting the door behind them.

The Captain glares at you for a moment. "I don't like you boys butting in on this. But if that's the way it is, I'm not going to waste any more time bickering about it." He throws a cold look at Mrs. Morgan. "If you have any information on this investigation, you bring it to the APD. Immediately. And stay out of the way of the officers or I'll put you in a holding cell and forget you ever existed." The officer elbows his way past you and back into the hall. Mrs. Morgan looks up at you, on the verge of tears, and seems to be just waiting for you to acknowledge her so she can begin her speech.

Dr. Todt acknowledges Mrs. Morgan.

edited November 2011
    Guy turned away and left, a self-congratulatory smile stretching from ear to ear.

From the press conference, he wandered down the halls of the first floor performing the Private Investigator's bread and butter: Snooping. He would keep his eyes and ears open for anything out of the ordinary, but if nothing else he expected some sort of administration office to be on the ground floor, and the kind of excitement from today was sure to cause one of two things: Some sort of excitement in the admin office where he might be pick something up, OR things would be quiet, in which case secretaries were the world's biggest gossipers; Either way was fine by him.

El Skid on
    rudoc
    The Director snorts after a moment of thought. "You really like to make yourself at home, eh? I assure you, our security systems are in no danger, and our technical staff keeps our servers well protected. I will speak to them about providing you with a terminal and a Beta level log-in. In the mean time, Mr. Heller outside has a dossier for you on Dr. Morgan's activities as far as your clearance allows. Please don't begrudge the limitations, I assure you, we are only operating as security protocol dictates."

The severe looking assistant is suddenly behind you, handing you another folder and showing you to the door.
    Marcus and Peff
    "Oh, oh thank you so much! You are the only ones that seem to care about Jerry! That doctor is just the rudest man I've ever met! And the police! Worse than useless! You don't even know what it has been like! It is bad enough that he has gone missing, but they think that he is a suspect! My Jerry! A bookish man nearly sixty with a new heart! He hasn't hurt a fly since the war ended! To have beat that man nearly insensible and kidnap a child! It's impossible, madness! That police captain, he says they are conducting a search, but they really mean a manhunt! He is confused and does not have his medication. Before he disappeared he forgot who I was, speaking in a strange accent, screaming fits, speaking in tongues, called me Louisa! He must have met the poor child during his therapy, and all those drugs, they have crossed his wires! These doctors do not know what they are doing, and they have ruined his wonderful, brilliant mind, and now they have lost him. I am so, so glad you have arrived! EON has always been so incredibly kind to us, and I just know you are exactly what poor Jerry needs right now! My gallant knights, come to save the day!" As she rambles, Mrs. Morgan alternates between self-pitying sobs and outraged ranting.
    El Skid
    Trying to follow the poorly labeled signs to the administration area leads you down a number of corridors until you are somewhat lost. As you try to find your way back to the lobby to start again, you pass by what looks like a small conference room with the door half open. Inside you can see a few police officers standing around a sitting Mr. Hernandez as a nurse changes one of his bandages. "I assure you sir, we will find your daughter and bring her home safely. I know you're exhausted, but we need you to officially verify your statement before you are released."