As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Critical Apartment Repairs

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My apartment has now had two instances of sewage water backing up and bubbling up from beneath my toilet, within two months. Both times, it was fortunate that I was home, and able to call maintenance in order to come and open up the main wastewater pipe to the building to relieve pressure and stop the water. I'm assuming that if we didn't, we might have had lasting damage to our belongings, the unit, and a pretty disgusting health hazard.

My girlfriend and I are approaching this from the perspective that we are within our rights to break our lease if this isn't repaired quickly. The statutes seem fairly clear, that if it's a health hazard(I deem that it is, and our local tenant's council seemed to agree), they have to respond and have it repaired within 15 days or so, from receiving a written notice. We've waited on the notice, because we just asked for repairs on Monday and a plumber should go into the pipe with a camera this Thursday to see what the problem is, but I am thinking I will want to start the "clock" pretty soon, even if they are being fully cooperate, in case something goes wrong.

Ultimately, my concern is what I can do to be sure that when the apartment managers claim repairs have been done, that they have in fact been done and the problem is fixed. I guess I could request a copy of an invoice from the plumbers who end up fixing it, but I don't think that really helps, and it seems like it will come down to the plumber's word, that he correctly identified and solved the problem. Any suggestions on making sure it's addressed properly?

My best idea, is getting a city building inspector to come by afterwards, but that assumes that they will be able to correctly identify the problem. It might only help if they inspect it before and afterwards. It might also create an antagonistic relationship, when for all I know, the problem will actually have been fixed.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You'll be out of pocket to have your own inspector come in and take a look.

Call your tenant board and see what the actual process is for this. It sounds like you asked them a few questions, but you're still unsure. Laws/regulations vary drastically by region, so that's your best bet.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    By the way, get sewage protection on your renters insurance. Flooding and sewage backup are omitted on most rental insurances.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    You'll be out of pocket to have your own inspector come in and take a look.

Call your tenant board and see what the actual process is for this. It sounds like you asked them a few questions, but you're still unsure. Laws/regulations vary drastically by region, so that's your best bet.

The tenant's instructions follow the statutes that I read. They suggested making the request for repairs, but didn't offer specific guidelines as to knowing for sure whether repairs are made, and it was more of a general help line that seemed to be giving me formulaic responses.

I guess part of what I need, would apply to any homeowner. What can you do as a homeowner to verify that the services billed, were actually performed, for things that would not be easily observed?

PSN: Kurahoshi1