As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Wednesday Nov. 9, 2011 - Their Name Means Big

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-9HNNHvS-XL.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    good comic. writing is sharp, art and coloring is nice.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I love when games aren't really balanced properly. "SLAY THIS AWESOME THING. Oh but you'll get fucked up by that random thing there."

I have a feeling one of the most popular mod types for Skyrim is gonna be dragon difficulty alteration.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    good one

I guess those giants are pretty though, eh?
    Henroid wrote:
    I love when games aren't really balanced properly. "SLAY THIS AWESOME THING. Oh but you'll get fucked up by that random thing there."

heh, this happens a lot in RPGs, especially from Eastern European developers. I miss my boars of doom in Gothic 3, good times.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Eff dragon shouts, we need giant shouts. Now that's where it's at.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:

Fee fi fo fum?

• Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    good one

I guess those giants are pretty though, eh?
    Henroid wrote:

heh, this happens a lot in RPGs, especially from Eastern European developers. I miss my boars of doom in Gothic 3, good times.

Do you remember the Boars from Solstheim?

I'm terribly excited for this game. The first time I saw the giants I had a feeling this would be the case. I'm also glad that there is a punishment associated with molesting a passive character.

This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

I have a feeling one of the most popular mod types for Skyrim is gonna be dragon difficulty alteration.

Well looks lets be fair here. Dragons are big, predatory reptilian things, many of which breathe fire.

But from what I can tell, Giants are REALLY BIG.

So it's not like I couldn't see Giants being more powerful than a Dragon, I totally can.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I have a hard time believing that the next iteration of the series that brought us the combat in Morrowind and Oblivion has dragon-slaying gameplay that can top Monster Hunter.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Do you remember the Boars from Solstheim?

actually, no - which only means they couldn't have been so terrifying!

all that I remember from Morrowind are cliff racers ... so many cliff racers

• Options
    edited November 2011

actually, no - which only means they couldn't have been so terrifying!

all that I remember from Morrowind are cliff racers ... so many cliff racers

cliff-racer.jpg

Good times, good times.

Maz- on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Will the giant not attack if you turn around and walk off when it shakes its club at you? It looks like it is telling the player to back the fuck off.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Now I want to watch Troll Hunter.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Henroid wrote:

Well looks lets be fair here. Dragons are big, predatory reptilian things, many of which breathe fire.

But from what I can tell, Giants are REALLY BIG.

So it's not like I couldn't see Giants being more powerful than a Dragon, I totally can.

From what I'd seen of the game, I'd be under the impression that they're equal in strength.

Edit - Or rather, equal in the threat they present.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I think the dragons more or less scale with your level, but are always a rather big challenge (at least in theory) while the giants are all high level.

• Options
    JonTheBoldJonTheBold St. John's, NL, CanadaRegistered User new member
    "you may feel like like an unstoppable God-King"

Repetitive "like". That being said: great comic, and I'm looking forward to Skyrim. Especially love Gabe's face in the 2nd panel.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    JonTheBold wrote:

Repetitive "like". That being said: great comic, and I'm looking forward to Skyrim. Especially love Gabe's face in the 2nd panel.

GOlUg.png

• Options
    Evil pancake stacks.

• Options
    That's the only picture I could find that didn't look like some kind of demon anus.

• Options
    jackal wrote:
    That's the only picture I could find that didn't look like some kind of demon anus.

... well I'll never look at LoZ the same way again.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    JonTheBold wrote:

I feel like "like like" is a very common "typo" for PA. I'm pretty sure I've seen it multiple times before.

• Options
    Triple Like Combo!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    oh god, fuck like likes

ughhhhhh made me so mad

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    nice shield. now go buy another one.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Now I want to watch Troll Hunter.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    LucreelLucreel Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if perhaps dragons in skyrim come in a variety of shapes and sizes? That is to say, some of them may be somewhat weak, but there might still be some really hard to defeat ones too?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Lucreel wrote:
    I'm wondering if perhaps dragons in skyrim come in a variety of shapes and sizes? That is to say, some of them may be somewhat weak, but there might still be some really hard to defeat ones too?

Apparently there are stronger colors than others; weaker dragons would be an "epic" fight for a low-level guy, whereas higher-level dragons would swoop in and carry off a mammoth to eat it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    WHY WON'T HE HIT THE GROUND?

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    If a dragon picks up the player and casts them off at 1000ft, I think mages are going to have a distinct advantage over players going the fighter route. Unless they can improvise some kind of parachute from their hide armor...

there should totally be an achievement for that.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:

Fee fi fo fum?
    I smell... I smell.... oh man, I stepped in something awful.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote:
    Maz- wrote:

Fee fi fo fum?
    I smell... I smell.... oh man, I stepped in something awful.

I think it's a Norseman...

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    TheGerbil wrote:
    WHY WON'T HE HIT THE GROUND?
    Giant: Land Already

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I really love the way Gabe is drawn in his Nord viking outfit in this one. So skinny, like like a child playing dressup.

• Options
    J SegundoJ Segundo The Ender of Plates new member
    I think the disgusting sort of splaty muck that Gabe turns into in the third panel really makes the strip lol

This reminds me of how my friend's dad saw her playing FFX and she was fighting the sandworms in the desert. Her dad says, "Why are they taking turns? And why doesn't that giant worm just crush them? He's so much bigger than they are. This doesn't make any sense!" "It's just a game, dad."

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    So I guess Bethesda used the Rock Paper Scissors model of balancing?

Dragon > Giant > You?

• Options
    So I guess Bethesda used the Rock Paper Scissors model of balancing?

Dragon > Giant > You?

You>Dragon

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    J Segundo wrote:
    I think the disgusting sort of splaty muck that Gabe turns into in the third panel really makes the strip lol

He looks sort of like like bubblegum.

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    JonTheBold wrote:

I feel like "like like" is a very common "typo" for PA. I'm pretty sure I've seen it multiple times before.

Maybe it's a characteristic stutter.

• Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    JonTheBold wrote:

Maybe it's a characteristic stutter.

I just figured they were paying attention to the most annoying monster in Legend of Zelda

juggcat.jpg