As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Please post in new thread.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Anyone point me at directions for this VPN craziness? OR is that one still going around? I do not understands.

• BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote:
    Well good thing its being shipped UPS... Amazon guaranteed release day delivery and all that.

Heh, I bet the UPS guys will be sad tomorrow. They usually drop off a truckload of mail at the post office every morning, that leaves way more for them to cover.

Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Don't pity the UPS guy. Thank the UPS guy. I have a long standing grudge with the post office, and I love what brown can do for me. Gah, 9:30 here... still waiting. >_<

I wonder if I could manage to kill a dragon my first day playing.

• shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    VPN worked great. I'm decrypted & launching.

Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    dammit. I bought the game. I blame this thread... and the fact I've wanted it for some time.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Oh man. I really cheesed this encounter, and ended up getting something amazing.
    The Greybeards researched a new dragon wall location for me. Except it was like 20 levels over my level, and in a remote part of the world. And I didn't realize it until I was half-way through it, when insanely powerful undead starting showing up, both in front of, and behind me. I pretty much alternated between fleeing through the dungeon with Lydia (Who is a tank thanks to my smithing.) holding the rear while I went full on mage nuker and disintegrated the mobs that I could. This continued on and off for 30 minutes, with some close calls as I tried to figure out a puzzle with literally six high level Draugr on my ass, and a Scourge.

I managed to take down the Death Lord (Who could frigging one shot me.) by throwing every scroll I had at it. Calming spells. Nuclear explosions that emanated from my body. Horrible eldritch horrors from beyond the abyss were called up, and joined in the battle against what was obviously an undead king. You name it. This thing would not die. Hitting it with a concentrated Firebolt spell only took a sliver of its HP off, and Lydia was (Thanks to some tricky movement on my part) just barely holding off about a dozen Draugr at the bridge leading into the chamber by blocking it with her body and making several heroic resurgences (Apparently companions will self res to continue fighting after awhile?) to keep fighting.

It finally dropped just as it went to lunge for me, when I was out of tricks to hold it off after an epic twenty minute battle (That was part cat and mouse, and part me fleeing in terror because I had no way to fight the damn thing.).

So, sprinting forwards, I loot the thing, get an Ebony Blade (?!), see a chest, get a strange, named dagger with no properties to it, and a ton of other high end loot. Then I haul ass for the exit behind the Death Lord's throne room. Lydia spawns next to me. And, once i'm satisfied that a horde of pissed off ancestor spirits aren't going to come pouring out of the tomb, I turn to the dragon wall.

So I get the second word to Whirlwind Sprint...And then the coffin behind me bursts open, in true boss fight style. I turn around and see a named mob named "Volsung".

Volsung, by the way, is, if I recall correctly, a frigging dragon lord mentioned in the games lore as being a huge badass. Apparently the Greybeards sent me to the tomb of one of the biggest badasses in the land, because hey, nothing says "training from hell" like sending your only new recruit to go up against a guy who could one-shot most NPC's. To give you an idea of what this guy is like, basically, think an ancient, undead Greybeard on steroids. Needless to say, I was quickly obliterated. It was at this point that I began to suspect that the Greybeards might be colluding with Alduin.

Reloading, I decided to blow every gold coin on every super-weapon spell scroll I could get my hands on. And then I just traveled back to the peak of this barrow.

Volsung popped out of his tomb, and I proceeded to hit him with enough high end magic to scar the landscape for several feet around him. He only lost half of his HP. This guy made the Death Lord look like a chump.

What did help, though, was that I had staggered him for a moment, and between him trying to kite me, and all the knockback on a few spells, he was near the edge of the peak of the mountain. Seeing an opportunity, I screamed FUS RO DAH...And he went flying off of the peak of the mountain, to his death.

Slowly trekking my way down to him, what did I find? An epic hooded death mask named "Volsung", that the Dragon Lord was wearing, that gives me 20 percent better sales prices, 20 more points of carry weight, 48 head armor (And it's light armor!), and water breathing.

Only problem is, it doesn't match any of my gear, and I look like an ominous tool in the Mage's College wearing this thing. Also, i'm pretty sure I just broke the game, Morrowind style.

Archonex on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I just want to say, one thing I realize now that I disliked about Oblivion is how you started 10 feet away from the capital city of the entire region.

In Morrowind, the game dumped you off in a shithole in the middle of a swamp.

Skyrim is much more like Morrowind in this regard, so the exploration and discovery is really amped up.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So, obviously the majority of skyrim talk is about the pc version right now since no other versions are available. Will anyone else be playing this on ps3? Or is anyone already playing it on ps3?

Steam: offday
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    On the one hand I am sad that we have no Patrick Stewart.

On the other hand I am mildly placated by the inclusion of Colonel Tigh.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    So. Looks like I'm going to be buying this after all. God damnit.

SOLIDARITY MAN!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote:
    dammit. I bought the game. I blame this thread... and the fact I've wanted it for some time.

It's ok. My hype sponge got so full the only way to squeeze it out was to give Bethesda my money.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Anyone want to sell me on Wards? It seems really difficult to run an enemy mage out of mana, so I hardly ever seem to come out ahead by using one to stall.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote:
    On the one hand I am sad that we have no Patrick Stewart.

On the other hand I am mildly placated by the inclusion of Captain von Trapp.

edited November 2011
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Anyone want to sell me on Wards? It seems really difficult to run an enemy mage out of mana, so I hardly ever seem to come out ahead by using one to stall.

They get a hell of a lot more useful once you start running into things like Draugr Scourges, who will fuck you up if they land even a single spell on you. One of their spells summons a giant frost atronarch who is fully capable of throwing you around as if you were hit by Fus Ro Da. The Scourge, I believe, can hit you with a shout, and it has another spell that will impale you with a massive shard of ice and reduce your speed to walking levels, so it can close in on you with it's equally deadly melee weapon.

Also, a magic heavy character could pretty much render themselves invincible to ranged fire if they timed the shield right.

Archonex on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    So guys.

Does anyone have links to thorough information regarding the DRM on this game? So far, all I know is it's Steamworks.

Here's the situation. I'm getting this, and my brother can't afford it. Can this be installed and used from 'offline mode', or is he just going to have to wait several months?

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Incindium wrote:
    Well good thing its being shipped UPS... Amazon guaranteed release day delivery and all that.

Heh, I bet the UPS guys will be sad tomorrow. They usually drop off a truckload of mail at the post office every morning, that leaves way more for them to cover.

I am kind of glad UPS is doing it. If the earlier post was correct, they shipped them without a wrapper or box. I bet they are plastic wrapped though.

Krathoon on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Seeks wrote:
    So guys.

Does anyone have links to thorough information regarding the DRM on this game? So far, all I know is it's Steamworks.

Here's the situation. I'm getting this, and my brother can't afford it. Can this be installed and used from 'offline mode', or is he just going to have to wait several months?

Don't go there.

• Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    Those already playing, I have the quest to talk to Gerda in Riverwood (not a spoiler as its literally the first quest in the game), I talk to her and am unable to apparently move on that quest? I used every conversation option. Is that normal? or is my game bugged?

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    My CE guide shipped from amazon this evening. If I'm lucky I'll have it tomorrow while I'm playing, all day.

still undecided on race, and even less on class.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    Earlier, I think I just found
    Snow Elves. The mobs are called "Falmer'. They look like primitive elves, and jumped my heroic duo after entering a cave and solving a puzzle.

We pretty much slaughtered them for awhile, before these strange bugs started swarming out of the cave behind the Falmer, and pretty much destroyed my character and Lydia. They were alot more durable then the Falmer were. And I have no clue what relation they have to the elves, or why they didn't horribly maul them like a bunch of other mob types seem to enjoy doing.

Archonex on
    edited November 2011
    I'll probably pass on a guide. Part of the fun in a ES game is exploration.

Krathoon on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    Sooooooooo many people in the mall for this release. It's at least three times what was here for Fallout last year.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    So. Looks like I'm going to be buying this after all. God damnit.

Me too. I just pre ordered it 2 hours ago. :(

So my favorite part of Oblivion was seriously the side quests. Dark brotherhood and thieves guild especially. Are side quests in Skyrim just as awesome?

It's the nature of how I play, but the first "side quest" and getting to first town has logged me 7 hours if play. :/

Mahnmut wrote:

You could try and use the weapons that damage magicka.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    So is it unlocked now? Mine still informs me to wait until its released =(

edited November 2011
    The Skyrim marathon is wrapping up. Kasavin is trying to cure his vampirism.

Krathoon on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular

Mine too....Im in oklahoma though, it's only 10:08...do we really ahve to wait to midnight?

• projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    texasheat wrote:

Mine too....Im in oklahoma though, it's only 10:08...do we really ahve to wait to midnight?

Son of a bitch I cant tell time. One more hour =(((((

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    50 more minutes for me.

Day9 is tiding me over.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    anyone got the link to the racial bonus's? I see the spreadsheet one but it doesn't include which character got magicka regen, berserker, etc.

Derrick wrote:
    50 more minutes for me.

Day9 is tiding me over.

I'm with you brah.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Daris wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    so I shot a arrow at a sleeping bear

and then skyrim immediately crashed to desktop

lesson: don't shoot at bears

I hope this thing autosaves

Bears just ruin everything. :D
    reloaded and I killed the shit out of that bear
    Bears 0
    HT 1

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Aaaand I'm in the TOR beta.
    Ffffffff

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    45 min here. Soon...

488W936.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote:
    wakkawa wrote:

Ahahaha If you put a basket over their heads can they still see you stealing stuff I wonder?

Game broked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Daris wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    so I shot a arrow at a sleeping bear

and then skyrim immediately crashed to desktop

lesson: don't shoot at bears

I hope this thing autosaves

Bears just ruin everything. :D
    reloaded and I killed the shit out of that bear
    Bears 0
    HT 1

Sounds to me like it's tied up 1-1.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Ffffffff

I'm still DLing this as we speak as well in the background. 65% after like 6 hours. I will stop playing Skyrim later tomorrow when I can log into this and see if it's worth my time, and then back to dragon murder.

488W936.png
    edited November 2011
    i made a imperial dude
    i'm pretty far from home!

edit - I usually roll Nord in oblivion but I decided to be an outsider, it helps when I ask "wtf is this war that is happening" that I'm not from the region

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Rizzi wrote:
    Ffffffff

My GF got in. She doesn't care enough to download it before tomorrow evening and I'm not going to give enough shits to play it. I still would like to see it in action though.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Ffffffff

Don't worry, it doesn't take very long to realize that you really don't want to play that.

And this is coming from someone who named his cat Bib Fortuna.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    the one weekend I actually stay in town is the weekend I don't get into the TOR beta, grrr

on the other hand, skyrim

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    It is not good? D:

This discussion has been closed.