As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me [Snow] or give me death

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    Last time I went snowboarding I dislocated my shoulder.

On the tow-rope going up the bunny hill :(

Now I pretty much just stick to back country XC skiing and snowshoeing.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Screw both skiing and boarding.

snowmobile-02.jpg

Nah man. Snowmobiling and snowboarding go hand in hand. Get a ski-rope, tie it to the back of the sled and profit!

steam_sig.png
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    Yay snow! See, I've been skiing for ten years (since I moved to Seattle) and never had a serious injury. Except for those seven days I tried snowboarding, and flipped my right thumb back, and twisted a knee. Worst I had skiing was falling hard onto my chest. With a camera on a front pocket. Had a nice circular bruise where the lens got smacked into my skin. My wife, who has been skiing since she was around 7 without injuries, once took a snowboarding class. One hour into it, she broke one of her legs.
    But I like snowboarders. lots of my friends are, and they're ok. Except for all the waiting at the top of the lift, and the incessant complaining about any cat tracks. But they do help make a boring run more fun by becoming slalom marks.

Also, I love it when it snows in Seattle. You wait a day for all the accidents/traffic to die down before hitting the road, and then the road system becomes a playground. It's nice to park by doing a 180 with a hand brake :)

edited November 2011
    Aim wrote:
    Yay snow! See, I've been skiing for ten years (since I moved to Seattle) and never had a serious injury. Except for those seven days I tried snowboarding, and flipped my right thumb back, and twisted a knee. Worst I had skiing was falling hard onto my chest. With a camera on a front pocket. Had a nice circular bruise where the lens got smacked into my skin. My wife, who has been skiing since she was around 7 without injuries, once took a snowboarding class. One hour into it, she broke one of her legs.
    But I like snowboarders. lots of my friends are, and they're ok. Except for all the waiting at the top of the lift, and the incessant complaining about any cat tracks. But they do help make a boring run more fun by becoming slalom marks.

Also, I love it when it snows in Seattle. You wait a day for all the accidents/traffic to die down before hitting the road, and then the road system becomes a playground. It's nice to park by doing a 180 with a hand brake :)

The ever ongoing battle between skiiers and snowboarders never gets old. It's funny that you mention snowboarders becoming slalom marks because I feel the same way about skiiers. Here in Ontario the majority of them are slow as fuck and carve WAY too hard, typically right to a dead stop (over and over) and turn the hill into a big pile of moguls. Snowboards don't like moguls. I've also been hit on three seperate occasions by skiiers (twice last year).

I need to go to a real mountain where it's all powder and that shit doesn't happen... planning my Whistler trip for February!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Moguls are the best part of skiing!

adytum on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    But then again I used to see a double black as a challenge, not a warning.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Aim wrote:

The ever ongoing battle between skiiers and snowboarders never gets old. It's funny that you mention snowboarders becoming slalom marks because I feel the same way about skiiers. Here in Ontario the majority of them are slow as fuck and carve WAY too hard, typically right to a dead stop (over and over) and turn the hill into a big pile of moguls. Snowboards don't like moguls. I've also been hit on three seperate occasions by skiiers (twice last year).

I need to go to a real mountain where it's all powder and that shit doesn't happen... planning my Whistler trip for February!

Well you shouldn't have cut them off at 80mph!
    <3

Skoal Cat wrote:
    Aim wrote:

Well you shouldn't have cut them off at 80mph!
    <3

lol... well, I'd say it's my fault if I didn't have the right of way each time. I always got blindsided from the right or from behind while merging. Just cruising, then suddenly I'm on the ground wondering what the fuck happened. I look around and see a yard sale of ski's and poles. L2Stop noobs!

steam_sig.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Growing up outside of Olympia was awesome because we would get snow maybe twice a year and it would only last a couple of days so you didn't have to deal with all the shitty parts of it. Plus there were numerous slopes close by to go skiiing on. I never really understood what snow is like in the NE until I visited my wifes family in Buffalo one march. Seeing a great lake frozen over was very very impressive.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Aim wrote:

You can't unlearn all that skiing.

adytum wrote:
    But then again I used to see a double black as a challenge, not a warning.
    :high five:
    I prefer unmarked trails myself with signs that just say, "We don't actually groom down here"

My goal is to be doing blacks by the end of the season.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    tha..thats what she said?

Ungrooomed trails with tons of pow are where it's at. Around here where our hills are literally hills and not mountains, the double black diamond run is either just a steeper hill (that is over faster than other runs due to the speed you gain) or a death run made of sheer ice.

I need to move out of Ontario. :P

steam_sig.png
    I actually grew up skiing on ice, and can handle myself pretty goddamned well on it. I first made it out west (Vale area, so nice!) and skiing on actual powdered snow was bizarre. Has anyone else done the major shift?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yep, Skiing in Ontario is horrendous.

Can't wait to go home to Alberta for Christmas to get some real skiing in. :D

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    tumblr_kuaoqtVd2L1qzfmx7o1_500.jpg

Thread does not deliver.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I grew up skiing, but I've tried snowboarding a few times and I could see it being really enjoyable.

Man, I might just have to drive to West Virginia this season. Ohio skiing is nonexistent.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    adytum wrote:

I pretty much destroyed my knee the first time I went skiing. Crappy heavy skis + old poorly adjusted bear-trap bindings + falling down = leg rotated 180 degrees at the knee.

My favorite thing about snowboarding becoming popular is fewer mogul runs.

Course, I live in florida. No snow. Totally flat. friggin lame.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i usually don't have an issue with snowboarders but one thing annoys me about its popularity is that most jumps on terrain parks are now designed with them in mind and have a curve now that throws you up instead of forward which is annoying if you're on skis

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    redx wrote:
    adytum wrote:

I pretty much destroyed my knee the first time I went skiing. Crappy heavy skis + old poorly adjusted bear-trap bindings + falling down = leg rotated 180 degrees at the knee.

My favorite thing about snowboarding becoming popular is fewer mogul runs.

Course, I live in florida. No snow. Totally flat. friggin lame.

Mount garbage?

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't understand.

On the black diamond thing. My skiing has been in PA, Vermont, and a bit in Mass. Are they more treacherous out where they have real mountains and actual snow?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    mrt144 wrote:
    My goal is to be doing blacks by the end of the season.

mmhhmmmmmm

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited November 2011
    redx wrote:
    I don't understand.

On the black diamond thing. My skiing has been in PA, Vermont, and a bit in Mass. Are they more treacherous out where they have real mountains and actual snow?
    Whoops, I meant Mt. Trashmoore.
    1906907724_038ad82fcf.jpg

I've skiied a large chunk of the major peaks in New England and Maine and have been out West once. As for the different conditions, well, its totally different. Unless you go over into a bowl or a back face I wouldn't call it more treacherous. Though I was quite surprised at how steep some trails were.
    Really, above the tree line its like skiing on cruise control. It's phenomenal.

Skoal Cat on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I hate Winter

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I used to like snow.

Then I moved to a place where it snows as early as September, and as late as July.

Now I prefer the rapper, given the choice.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I'm canadian so I'm obviously used to snow. I like snow and the cold much better than the summer.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    mcdermott wrote:
    I used to like snow.

Then I moved to a place where it snows as early as September, and as late as July.

Now I prefer the rapper, given the choice.

What? Where? How are jobs there?

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I want to be able to afford moving between Northern and Southern Hemisphere every 6 months.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    I deal with piles of snow and ice twice a day on my walk to and from work during Winter.

Combined with a poor sense of balance, my interest in hurtling down a mountain of the stuff is pretty minimal.

I'm tempted to try, but only once my affairs are in order, next of kin has been notified and I've decided to kiss it all goodbye.
    We are like the same person.

steam_sig.png
    jothki wrote:
    A few weeks ago, we had this crazy thing where it was somehow raining and snowing at the same time.
    A few years ago sometime just after spring break we had thunder snow. That was pretty weird.

Also, this is about the only thing I like about snow (other than being inside while it happens, being warm.)
    Spoilered for horror beyond mortal comprehension.
    cthulhu-front.jpg
    cthulhu-side.jpg
    cthulhu-back.jpg
    And less eldritch works:
    backlit-buddha.jpg
    moai-front.jpg
    moai-side.jpg

steam_sig.png
    You made a sassy cthulu?

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Cross country is pretty cool, but I kinda suck at it.

Fuck off and die.
    Sassy was certainly not the intent and I'm not sure where you're seeing it.

steam_sig.png
    Sassy was certainly not the intent and I'm not sure where you're seeing it.

Tentacle on hip, all sassy like.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Crystal Mountain > White Pass as far as Washington Snowing goes

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    Crystal Mountain > White Pass as far as Washington Snowing goes

Can't wait to go to Crystal this year. When I picked it up earlier this year I was down at Tahoe for my bachelor party.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I fucking love snow

But my fiancee has to drive several miles in it over hills to get to work, which sucks

But we got studded tires now for the car so the drive is a lot safer!

Yayyy snow!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    As a longtime resident of Wisconsin, I know quite a fucking lot about snow.

And there are some wonderful things about snow, let me tell you. Like all the bugs that die.

Just beware of the ice. And the wind chill. And try not to drive or shovel if you can.