As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bikes?

TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonightHas stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in PAX Archive
I live close enough, and I'd like to ride my bike to PAX. One question looms:

Is there someplace in, or nearby, the convention center where one can lock a bike up for a day at a time?

I checked the convention center's site, and they have no answer either way. Any of you official (or unofficial) people have any insight?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
Tonkka on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lock it to a tree downtown? :P

When I did my few downtown workarounds while recording parking stuff for pax I didn't pay attention if there were any bike lock racks around... There might be one in the convention center parking garage though. If theres a general info number on their site give it a call and ask.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the response :)

Okay, apparently they have racks in the parking garage which is a bonus. I was worried about having to resort to driving (boo parking), taking the bus (boo bus stops running), or chaining my bike up out on the street (boo people).

So, if anyone else was wondering about this here's the info:

Enter at the 8th Ave. garage entrance, and ask the cashier where the bike racks are (I am almost positive they do not charge for this, at least that's what they told me on the phone). You can lock up all day and all night. After midnight when the garage is closed ,you can get out but they won't let you back in until the garage re-opens the next morning.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited June 2007
    Sweet. I probably saw them a hundred times out of all the times ive been in there but never payed attention to that cause I dont ride a bike.

Glad that they have it though.

BigRed on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »
    After midnight when the garage is closed ,you can get out but they won't let you back in until the garage re-opens the next morning.

Are we sure this is just for bikes??

ThePimpImp on
  • Lazyboy013086Lazyboy013086 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Another question about Bikes but of a different nature. Does anyone know if There are any parking garages around the Convention Center that have Discounted rates for Motorcycles. I know of two in Pioneer square that have 1 per hour rates for motorcycles. just wondering about closer to the Convention center though.

Lazyboy013086 on
    I'm watching you like Celery, yeah i'm stalking...lol.
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »
    After midnight when the garage is closed ,you can get out but they won't let you back in until the garage re-opens the next morning.

Are we sure this is just for bikes??

From what I could tell from the conversation it was basic policy for the parking garage there. They close for entry at midnight, but if you've already paid (or parked a bicycle for nada) you can leave whenever you want.

Tonkka on
    edited June 2007
    Another question about Bikes but of a different nature. Does anyone know if There are any parking garages around the Convention Center that have Discounted rates for Motorcycles. I know of two in Pioneer square that have 1 per hour rates for motorcycles. just wondering about closer to the Convention center though.

There is actually a 24h parking garage right across from gameworks (across the street from the convention center) that does $5 or $8 parking (all day) for motorcycles.

If you look at the pax map, parking infos would be on there.

BigRed on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, there's tons of bike racks all around. i'd definitely lock both wheels and the frame, though, as well as removing all valuables/removeables from it before leaving it.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I remember right, there's a bike rack just outside of one of the garage entrances at the convention center as well. I've seen a few around on the sidewalk, you can just ride around a bit until you find one.

Dreamwriter on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, there are plenty of bike racks out on the street, but I was looking for something a little more secure. Like the convention center having a rack in thier garage or having bike lockers available. I just really feel uncomfortable leaving my bike sitting around for 12+ hours or so at a timr on the mean streets of Seattle ;)

Tonkka on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    feel free to put your bike in the trunk of my car :D

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited June 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    feel free to put your bike in the trunk of my car :D

Wowee! That's sooper nice of ya mister- WAITAMINUTE!

Almost had me...

Tonkka on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is it, like, some uber-awesome super bike? PeeWee Herman's, perhaps? :P I've seen a bike chained to a sign just half a block away from the convention center for a couple weeks. Of course, I have no idea if it was eventually stolen, or taken by the police, or the owner unlocked it and rode away...

Dreamwriter on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Capitol Hill, which PAX is at the base of, has one of the highest rates of property crime in Seattle.

I wouldn't leave a bike on the street there. I wouldn't even leave my bike in a garage.

Doc on
    edited June 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Capitol Hill, which PAX is at the base of, has one of the highest rates of property crime in Seattle.

I wouldn't leave a bike on the street there. I wouldn't even leave my bike in a garage.

Oh yeah I lived on Capitol Hill for years, and wouldn't trust leaving it up there for any amount of time that I couldn't directly monitor the status of my bicycle through a window, etc. It should be okay in the convention center's garage (I'm guessing from the Bike To Work Challenge page that employees used that rack), but I'm still going to check it out before I commit to using their facilities.
    Is it, like, some uber-awesome super bike? PeeWee Herman's, perhaps? I've seen a bike chained to a sign just half a block away from the convention center for a couple weeks. Of course, I have no idea if it was eventually stolen, or taken by the police, or the owner unlocked it and rode away...

It's not anything sooper special, but it's mine and I do love it and would very sad if it went away...

Tonkka on
  • TheSnowiestWhaleTheSnowiestWhale Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not to cast doubt on your character or anything, but I thought this article was rather pertinent to the situation. Hopefully an embarrassing situation like this can be avoided.

TheSnowiestWhale on
    Gay N00b Laggers
    =GNL=
    Look for us in the pink at PAX '08!
    edited June 2007
    Not to cast doubt on your character or anything, but I thought this article was rather pertinent to the situation. Hopefully an embarrassing situation like this can be avoided.

Hehe, that's good.

But no, my bike is an all Cromoly Steel frame, and I wouldn't want to rub the anti-corrosion treatmeant off the inside.

Tonkka on
This discussion has been closed.