As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    No no, the idea for the QR code is that each one is unique, you scan it with the trading card app that Jonxp is proposing and it automatically notates in the app which cards you have collected based on what you have scanned.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    No no, the idea for the QR code is that each one is unique, you scan it with the trading card app that Jonxp is proposing and it automatically notates in the app which cards you have collected based on what you have scanned.

This. It would likely point to a detail page URL (example) where you could click a "collect" button. Additionally, a native phone app could listen for that URL and then open up its own interface for a more streamlined experience (at least I know this is possible on Android, I can't speak for iOS or WP7).

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'll be doing this again this year, and with new cards too!

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'd like to join in on this again. Can I simply use my cards from East 2011, since I have so many?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

This. It would likely point to a detail page URL (example) where you could click a "collect" button. Additionally, a native phone app could listen for that URL and then open up its own interface for a more streamlined experience (at least I know this is possible on Android, I can't speak for iOS or WP7).

Can you add a page were we can see the whole 2012 collection indexed by number? Maybe like a gallery view. Then the QR-code can be a password of sorts to actually add the card to your collection?

The "game" could simply be who collected the most cards, with the QR code needed for proof of ownership.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    LordGimmik wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

Can you add a page were we can see the whole 2012 collection indexed by number? Maybe like a gallery view. Then the QR-code can be a password of sorts to actually add the card to your collection?

The "game" could simply be who collected the most cards, with the QR code needed for proof of ownership.

Yeah, that's exactly what they're talking about. If you go to buttoneering.org you can see how it works for buttons. Obviously with cards it would be a little different, and with some enhancements.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Decius wrote:
    I'd like to join in on this again. Can I simply use my cards from East 2011, since I have so many?

I'm fairly certain that everyone is encouraging people to bring their cards from previous years if they have leftovers (sorta like buttons at Prime) but after two years with the same template it makes perfect sense to have a new template for this year's set. I am likely to bring my cards from last year, as well as make a new one for this year.

Whomever contacts jakprints should see if we can get some special discount code setup for a smaller run as well since their base runs are so huge.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Jay SharpJay Sharp Registered User new member
    Why not use the PA Gamers Vs Evil card format?

6086186106_e49b61e45b_m.jpg

• Options
    LordGimmik wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

Unless it's possible to put a different QR code on every single card (which it may be? I don't know what restrictions you guys print under), it would be super easy to cheat the game by just scanning someone else's card or even a picture of the card.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Jay Sharp wrote:
    Why not use the PA Gamers Vs Evil card format?

Because it's a game format. We want to shy away from that has many have already explained on this thread :)

On the QR Code front, that may be problematic for me as I won't have internet access via 3G at the expo with me being from the UK, all 3G access will be shut off. If I'm near a WiFi spot though I should be fine.

Any more ideas on the format? I still think sports cards are the way to go.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm in, however it boils down.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of the pseudo MtG card idea. I've seen those done to death all over the internet, and I think it lacks the uniqueness that our previous templates have had. Using the MtG template doesn't really say PAX community, it says "another MtG-style card".

100% this. I'm all for a custom format for PAX. We have some Artistically talented community members, let's come one with something our own.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    I would also suggest trying to do meet-ups every day so that there's less of a mad scramble at the last minute. They don't have to be long, but just a couple minutes at an appointed time/place seems like it'd be productive.

By popular request, we will be doing meet-ups each day this year.

LordGimmik wrote:
    Korvas wrote:
    I'm sure there are plenty of games out there that use cards only for stats... I actually know of one myself, it's called cosmic encounters... I think it would be a pretty cool looking card to hand out myself... we would just need to establish how to fill it out... check them out, could work nicely, and the cards are for stats only, so it works with keeping away from trying to make it a game..

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic520215_md.jpg

I have this game and really like the card layout. Given, it's a 5" x 9" card, so it would have to be shrunk down to CCG size. That might make it less appealing. I'll have to do a test.

Regarding the templates. What format do you all use? I'm actually pretty good at making layered templates in Photoshop for my own projects. For a card like this I would do about 5-6 layers, with maybe a few of them locked so they can't be edited, e.g. a boarder layer we may want fixed, while a stats layer would be editable, and a semi-transparent photo frame layer would clearly be editable. I realize not everyone has Photoshop, but would we all be cool with GIMP format? It's an open-source image editing software suite. I can start mocking up some rough ideas when we get closer to deciding on a theme, or at least give some popular themes a visual component.

I create a layered template in photoshop that allows people to easily snap in their pictures, write text, and choose badges. I believe there is a link in the OP to the templates from last year. It might be worth it to try building the template in GIMP, but ultimately there is something we need that GIMP does not provide (complicated layers are still the biggest issue).

jonxp wrote:
    Is there any interest in a site for tracking these, similar to Buttoneering.org? I'd be willing to help out (even though I can't make it to East).

If there is interest I will take you up on the offer.

If I did not address a direct question please repost it or PM. :)

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    IMG_20111109_153703.jpg

This is a rough draft of what I was thinking for M:TG, really this formula could work for anything though. The idea here is not to make playable cards, but cards the look realistic enough. There is a front and back design, and I doubt many people would bother rounding the corners.

Name: PeasantDave
    Community Organizer
    Pay 1: Bring 30 friends to PAX
    Pay 2: Organize trading card event
    Tap: Fall asleep during Dungeons and Dragons

5 / 3
    (5 PAX Primes, 3 PAX East)

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    IMG_20111109_153703.jpg

This is a rough draft of what I was thinking for M:TG, really this formula could work for anything though. The idea here is not to make playable cards, but cards the look realistic enough. There is a front and back design, and I doubt many people would bother rounding the corners.

Name: PeasantDave
    Community Organizer
    Pay 1: Bring 30 friends to PAX
    Pay 2: Organize trading card event
    Tap: Fall asleep during Dungeons and Dragons

5 / 3
    (5 PAX Primes, 3 PAX East)

i am in favor of this only if peasantdave hand draws each card.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    To be honest, I'll never use these cards to play anything. They're just a cool thing to collect. Why can't we just keep it a cool thing to collect, like the buttons at Prime?
    Is buttoneering exclusive to Prime? I'm a huge button collector, outside of pax, and found this to be a wonderful way to collect and display the collection. It is harder to display every card than it is to display every button in my opinion. I'm a Pax East virgin though. and only a first timer at Prime '11. so take my words with a grain of salt. ;)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    To be honest, I'll never use these cards to play anything. They're just a cool thing to collect. Why can't we just keep it a cool thing to collect, like the buttons at Prime?
    Is buttoneering exclusive to Prime? I'm a huge button collector, outside of pax, and found this to be a wonderful way to collect and display the collection. It is harder to display every card than it is to display every button in my opinion. I'm a Pax East virgin though. and only a first timer at Prime '11. so take my words with a grain of salt. ;)

The forum community in general organizes button trading for Prime and card trading for East. That is not to say that there will not be anyone trading buttons at East, or cards at Prime, but that there is not a push from the community to organize those activities outside of their respective coasts. I am certain that someone out of the 80,000 people at East this year will have buttons, but I am equally certain that there will not be a publicly organized way of finding them. If you are open to suggestion, I would say to bring buttons if you already have them, and if you run into people with extras from last year, then great, but I would not advise making buttons exclusively for East. I would predict that you would end up trading more of them at next Prime then at this coming East. On the other hand, I am not one to actively discourage radness, so go ahead and make up a few billion.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    I'm in for this again, and the QR code stuff sounds really cool.

Also, meeting every day would be great. Last year I got a few cards at the pre PAZ dinner and then almost none until the end of PAX meetup.

• Options
    peetsnack wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

The forum community in general organizes button trading for Prime and card trading for East. That is not to say that there will not be anyone trading buttons at East, or cards at Prime, but that there is not a push from the community to organize those activities outside of their respective coasts. I am certain that someone out of the 80,000 people at East this year will have buttons, but I am equally certain that there will not be a publicly organized way of finding them. If you are open to suggestion, I would say to bring buttons if you already have them, and if you run into people with extras from last year, then great, but I would not advise making buttons exclusively for East. I would predict that you would end up trading more of them at next Prime then at this coming East. On the other hand, I am not one to actively discourage radness, so go ahead and make up a few billion.

I *will* have PAX East as an "event" on the Buttoneering site for those who wish to participate. However that being said, the trading card stuff is definitely more of the "East thing".

• Options
    HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    <insert generic "I'm in." post here>

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • Options
    jonxp wrote:
    peetsnack wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I *will* have PAX East as an "event" on the Buttoneering site for those who wish to participate. However that being said, the trading card stuff is definitely more of the "East thing".
    Good to know. I shall reserve my button ideas for Prime. I guess I could be in for some trading cards. Try something new.
    Though I have no idea what to do. ^_^

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Good to know. I shall reserve my button ideas for Prime. I guess I could be in for some trading cards. Try something new.
    Though I have no idea what to do. ^_^
    No worries! We have a team of dedicated card creation helpers who are always willing to help out those in need!

signature.png
  • Options
    itzerokewl wrote:
    No worries! We have a team of dedicated card creation helpers who are always willing to help out those in need!
    That's good. It seems like a really neat thing to do.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Sounds like our fearless leader has decided to do MtG format, so I'll fall into line. I might recommend, however, that only the back be MtG format. For the front, I might stick with just the name, a full-size image, and forum icons. I'd leave all the fake statistics for the back, rather than reprinting it on both sides.

• Options
    I don't think it's been decided upon yet, but there haven't been enough submissions to have an alternative that looks attractive. This doesn't need the same time schedule as the coin, so there's still plenty of time to try things and hash it out.

• Options

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Your first two links are broken.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    bother. I wonder why?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular

I like those designs. I wonder if there are decent filters available to "paint" our portraits or if we'll all need to higher graphic artists...

• Options

Thanks.
    FTFY? what does that mean?

I like the idea of steampunk. Gives it something different, unique.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Thanks.
    FTFY? what does that mean?

I like the idea of steampunk. Gives it something different, unique.

FTFY = Fixed That For You

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    ah, cool. Thanks again. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    oooh I like this. We could have pics of us in sepia tones and be all Edwardian with our prose in the text.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote:
    oooh I like this. We could have pics of us in sepia tones and be all Edwardian with our prose in the text.

i was resistant at first, but the idea of carrying the theme throughout like that sounds really fun.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Mmm, I think Steampunk is an idea that works better if one person is designing all the cards than if we're each making our own. A sepia filter would make things OK, but I think it'd lose a lot if we don't all put a lot of graphics editing effort in...

• Options
    Wow. I never thought the idea would take off. ^_^

Wouldn't every one's cards have the same back image? So the only unique/custom part would be your photo/image and info, right?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    Yeah, if you look at the previous cards, the idea is that about half or so of the card is the pre-determined template. The stuff each individual picked out was a picture for the front and a small avatar sized picture for the back, then fill in with the appropriate text, etc. I don't think it would take a ton of graphics editing to make it work.

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I think steampunk with maybe the QR Code, could be a nice combo?

signature.png
  • Options
    Sounds great!

Yay, I contributed a good idea. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
This discussion has been closed.