As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is an important announcement. Please read.

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
I'm leaving the Penny-Arcade forums.

This may come as something of a shock to many of you. Trust me that it was a long time in coming, and not a spur of the moment decision. We've enjoyed nearly a year together. Speaking for myself, I've enjoyed it immensly.

Whether it be joking around in an unexpected thread, exercising some php craftmanship, or laying down the law in a high-tension situation, I have always been entertained, intrigued, and impressed by these forums. But I have other pursuits that require my time, and to be fair to myself and to all of you requires me to walk away before I spread myself too thin.

The forums are in good hands. Lately, we've had a good period of mod stability. We also have a large, stable bunch of regulars that really know the forums, how they tick, and how to keep them thriving.

I've always believed in the single-source decision-making scheme, so my last action as administrator is to choose someone that I think can be fair, decisive, and a good role-model. denihilist has earned my respect and admiration over the last year for those very qualities.

In addition, I want to be sure the codebase is cared for, and I also need somebody that can understand the policy and culture implications of various code changes. So to that task, I have appointed alphamonkey as "chief technical officer". He has been given full access to the code and the database, and he will work closely with denihilist as well as with all of you in determining what can and can't be done as well as what should or shouldn't be done with the forum code.

I will be keeping my account-name in case I ever want to make any Penny-Arcade related announcements. I will still be working on code for the site, and I will probably work with alphamonkey on some forum-related projects as well. I'll be in and out over the next couple weeks, but aside from some last minute transition-period stuff, you can consider this my 2-weeks notice.

If I know anything about this forum, this post will end up followed by a deluge of eulogies. I appreciate the sentiment, but at the same time I think it is an over-dramitization. I feel obliged to give parting remarks and to inform you of the new administration. So in short, I think it is important that you read this thread, but please don't feel obliged to comment.

Ramius on

• TrainUvThotTrainUvThot Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Good work here, and good luck to wherever you go.

TrainUvThot on
    I can see your toes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    <Obligitory Eulogy>

<Obligitory damn you I wanted to be incharge of code>

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    :wink:

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for everything =)

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• TezkahTezkah Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    :shock:

Someone get me a midi of that Hulk walking away music.
    <Xxxxxx\\> i dare you to 'in before the lock' that thread

Tezkah on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Good bye and thanks for all of the fish.

And I can't think of a cooler person than Alphamonkey to be in charge of the code.

Invisible on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    I've always believed in the single-source decision-making scheme, so my last action as administrator is to choose someone that I think can be fair, decisive, and a good role-model. denihilist has earned my respect and admiration over the last year for those very qualities.

In addition, I want to be sure the codebase is cared for, and I also need somebody that can understand the policy and culture implications of various code changes. So to that task, I have appointed alphamonkey as "chief technical officer". He has been given full access to the code and the database, and he will work closely with denihilist as well as with all of you in determining what can and can't be done as well as what should or shouldn't be done with the forum code.

This make me think of Optimus Prime handing over the Matrix of Leadership.

matrix.jpg

Till all are one...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DickDick Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    We didn't know each other, but I'm going to miss you. You were a good admin, Ramius. *tear*

Dick on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Thanks again Ramius. Its been an honor to work with you.

Good luck with what ever life brings to you. Keep in touch.

-alpha

Älphämönkëy on
  • InsanityIncInsanityInc Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    White Snake - Here I Go Again

Dunno if it was the hulk song, but it works. And besides, it was in Old School, that's like +10000 points.

InsanityInc on
  • KolchakKolchak Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours, and thank you for your service here- which I doubt not a single person would raise their voice against, such is a testament to how respected you are here.

I don't want to just lay on superlatives with the impression of them being unfounded, either- you truly have earned my respect. Thanks for the StarCraft game, too. :)

All the best.

Kolchak on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    I shall miss thee, Ramius.

:cry:

I wonder if this is in any way related to me finally installing XP on my computer today...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2004
    You done good, Ram-Man.

All the best.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    So long Space Cowboy.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • boddahboddah Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Bye :D

boddah on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    So long.

Rans on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited February 2004
    aurevoir.

Angry on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    *sniff* Damn, who will keep us inline now :cry:

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2004
    The same people that always did.

The correct question is who will keep them in line, and the answer is deni.

Ramius on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Good-bye Space-Girl! :(

TM2 Rampage on
  • FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    You know what Ramius, you should do one crazy last act as admin. Something you've always wanted to do, but couldnt.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004

I was going to be mean, but I just can't manage it in Ramius's good-bye thread.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2004
    wait.. deni??

hehe

i mean, cool. have fun with your other stuff :)

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Ferreous wrote:
    You know what Ramius, you should do one crazy last act as admin. Something you've always wanted to do, but couldnt.

Ban boddah?

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ferreous wrote:

Ban boddah?

or remod boddah!

seriously, you should remod me.

boddah on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    About damn time.

Edit: in refference to Deni being in charge. Ramius, I will never forget you. You are a good man.

Evander on
  • RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I'll miss ya ol' Dumbledore.

Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for running everything so well Ramius!

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • EdenEden San Francisco, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    You've done a wonderful job as admin, Ramius, and I think you've picked some top notch successors. Thanks for everything, and good luck! =)

Eden on
    edited February 2004
    This is like the end of Terminator 2.

:^:, Ramius. :^:

boddah on
  • AnatoleAnatole Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    gj ramius

thx :)

Anatole on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2004
    *tips hat*

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Funky_MonkFunky_Monk Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Thats a shame. Ramius was always cool in any situation and was always so controled and reasonable as a man in his situation should be. To bad you have to go.

Funky_Monk on
    edited February 2004
    boddah wrote:

But I thought Ramius couldn't self terminate

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    damn b.

well.. <3 see ya'

you should drop by ttb more often.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited February 2004
    Hey Ramius,

Your announcement was kind of a suprise to me, but it also kind of wasn't. I know you've been hinting previously about the admin cycle of the forums, about who you thought would be the next "keepers", and I knew your year anniversary as head honcho was coming. You did suprise me with the timing of your announcement though. I figured you'd give it a bit closer to the anniversary of the forum relaunch. Heh, I had actually even planned on making a "fun" post in your deputy/mod thread about my taking a huge chunk of power at the one year.

Anyway, you know I have nothing but respect and thanks for you. Just make sure you pop in and let us know how you are every once in a while.

:D

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    good luck with your other callings.

Deusfaux on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    boddah wrote:

But I thought Ramius couldn't self terminate

*points at boddah's hand*

The control panel is in his hand and he's lowering Ramius down to the lava.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    All I have to say is this is indeed a sad day.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.