As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Monday Nov. 13, 2011 - Thulsa Broom

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-PPTPkRk-XL.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    First rule of video games: Pick up everything that isn't nailed down.

Second rule of video games: If it is nailed down, look for a prybar or something on another screen so you can pull out the nails.

Third rule of video games: Take the nails too.

• webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    Oh noes, it's Monday the 13th! Better warn lasagne-cat!

Oh wait, no it isn't.

It's dead, Jim.
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I remember Fallout 3 was particularly bad for causing pack-rat syndrome. Either it could be used in a crafting recipe, it can be used to fix your gear, or it can be sold to certain people for way more money then they would be normally worth.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I didn't do this in Oblivion, cause I wanted to be heroic, in good standing with the natives.

But in Fallout 3, aww yeah, I took every damn thing.

I am undecided on Skyrim, as it has not yet arrived. Will I be the hero the people need, or the hero that needs the people's stuff.

Oh brilliant
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I stopped doing this because there just aren't any vendors in Skyrim with enough money to buy all your loot in one go.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I laughed way to hard at the title "Thulsa Broom".

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Is there a limit to that place where you can chop wood and get paid for it, or can you just use it as an infinite gold generator?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote:

Same here. Got a picture in my head of James Earl Jones pushing a broom when I read the title.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    I collect spoons in Bethesda games. Every spoon. Nobody can eat soup by the time I beat the game.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
    Tleilaxu wrote:
    I collect spoons in Bethesda games. Every spoon. Nobody can eat soup by the time I beat the game.

Couldn't they just drink from the bowl?

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    If they're heathens.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed this comic because Tycho and Gabe's conversation is a parallel of my internal conflict when I play any RPG game. Perhaps it's not as bad as collecting brooms, but man have I amassed stacks and stacks, chests/bags full of items in fear of coming to a point where I need them or they become useful in a recipe or spell, or even that I find a merchant that suddenly makes them profitable to sell.

From muds on a BBS, to mmorpgs both free and paid, to little sandbox games like minecraft or terraria, I am forever picking up everything I can get my grubby little mits on.

*stands up* "My name is rockmonkey and I am an eHoarder."

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    This was me in Fallout. What the fuck am I going to do with 60 plates, and 30 empty nuka cola bottles? Build a junk pyramid? Maybe there's a quest for that...

3lwap0 wrote:
    This was me in Fallout. What the fuck am I going to do with 60 plates, and 30 empty nuka cola bottles? Build a junk pyramid? Maybe there's a quest for that...

Build a pyramid of mines. Cover it in junk. Blow it up.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    First rule of video games: Pick up everything that isn't nailed down.

Second rule of video games: If it is nailed down, look for a prybar or something on another screen so you can pull out the nails.

Third rule of video games: Take the nails too.

The house collapses on you. You die. It was a load bearing broom.

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote:
    3lwap0 wrote:

Build a pyramid of mines. Cover it in junk. Blow it up.

You must build a hall worthy of a dingy, post-apocalyptic Croesus.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    When I first played games like this (I think Oblivion was my first) I was the same way. I learned my lesson big time.

In Fallout 3 I ran into a huge problem. You can use weapons to repair other weapons. OH GOD I HAVE TO CARRY EVERYTHING.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    this was me and Diablo 2.

what's that? my Pally found a broken crossbow that he'll never ever use? GOTTA GRAB THAT LOOT.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I would do this in the Medievia MUD. I'd going around collecting hundreds of one item, go to the town center, and dump them all by the fountain. I got the stupidest kick out of watching hundreds of players wander through and question the pile of 200 green crayons.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    This comic is about me playing Oblivion :P I had so many paintbrushes and crap in that game until I finally figured out they were worthless.

Edit: Bethesda really should have better indicators of what are "junk" items in their games.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Having enough brooms for the broom dungeon is easy enough.

Now the cement block dungeon, that's another story.

Margarazzi wrote:
    I would do this in the Medievia MUD. I'd going around collecting hundreds of one item, go to the town center, and dump them all by the fountain. I got the stupidest kick out of watching hundreds of players wander through and question the pile of 200 green crayons.

Nothing like dropping a pile of green potions all in one place. And then watching them dissapear just as fast.

So is anyone else in Skyrim using their companion is a traveling storage container? "Ooo another Steel Warhammer! Can't run now. Lackey, over here, carry this!"

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    The title is funnier than the comic, and the comic's pretty funny.

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    oh god, dat title. I chortled quite heartily.

camo_sig2.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    This comic is about me playing Oblivion :P I had so many paintbrushes and crap in that game until I finally figured out they were worthless.

Edit: Bethesda really should have better indicators of what are "junk" items in their games.

Junk? What, I'm going to use this clothes iron. You'll see when the fancy dinner party quest comes up and your clothes are all wrinkled. You'll never impress the Jarls like that, mister.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Warlock82 wrote:

I don't think it's Bethesda's fault that you couldn't figure out that you didn't need that many paintbrushes and calipers.

• rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular
    In Oblivion I typically prefer to play as a stealth character, but my hoarding instinct and my min/max instinct forces me to develop my strength and endurance to be quite high early on.

I'm really looking forward to playing Skyrim at some point. I'm playing Oblivion again currently to help sate my hunger while I wait for a price drop.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    When I first played games like this (I think Oblivion was my first) I was the same way. I learned my lesson big time.

In Fallout 3 I ran into a huge problem. You can use weapons to repair other weapons. OH GOD I HAVE TO CARRY EVERYTHING.

The Brotherhood of Steel complaining they don't have good enough weapons and armour to fight the Enclave? Why don't I have an option to give them the couple of dozen sets each of Enclave power armour, Hellfire Armour, Shocktrooper armour and Tesla armour I have that are all fully repaired, along with as many Gatling lasers, miniguns, tribeam lasers and plasma rifles as they can carry?

Seriously guys, I don't need them...

Warlock82 wrote:

I don't think it's Bethesda's fault that you couldn't figure out that you didn't need that many paintbrushes and calipers.

It was my first time playing a Bethesda game. For all I knew there was a calligraphy trade skill or something they were needed for. Or a quest where the dude wanted a lot of paintbrushes. Who knows. It's an RPG.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

I can't believe nobody has posted or mentioned the paintbrush climb glitch video.

• CalamitybirdCalamitybird Registered User new member
    Too funny, and spot on! Oblivion was in direct violation of my "take everything" game reflexes, and brought out the worst pack rat in me. I had to buy houses just to store and organize my stuff - a wardrobe with all the interesting clothes I didn't want to get rid of, a chest full of just tools, a box of all my herbs, etc.

On the bright side, because I frequently ended up overloaded far from towns, it forced me to create a value-per-pound rule for myself. Picking up a half-pound potion worth 50 gold is better in the long run that that incredible and expensive Daedric hammer that weighs 75 pounds. Now in Skyrim it's easier right off the bat to leave stuff behind. I still rifle through everything (and I'm a pretty remorseless thief), but I check value/weight and just fill up on little trinkets that really add up at the trader's.

Too funny, and spot on! Oblivion was in direct violation of my "take everything" game reflexes, and brought out the worst pack rat in me. I had to buy houses just to store and organize my stuff - a wardrobe with all the interesting clothes I didn't want to get rid of, a chest full of just tools, a box of all my herbs, etc.

On the bright side, because I frequently ended up overloaded far from towns, it forced me to create a value-per-pound rule for myself. Picking up a half-pound potion worth 50 gold is better in the long run that that incredible and expensive Daedric hammer that weighs 75 pounds. Now in Skyrim it's easier right off the bat to leave stuff behind. I still rifle through everything (and I'm a pretty remorseless thief), but I check value/weight and just fill up on little trinkets that really add up at the trader's.

It just forced me to create like 20 different spells to increase carrying capacity and cast them all over and over (if you named them different they would stack) :P

Warlock82 wrote:

But then just when you learn to let it go, sometimes they'd do something to set off the packrat syndrome again. Like you finally make yourself stop collecting junk, and then an NPC asks you for all the calipers and tongs you can find. ;)

Warlock82 wrote:

It just forced me to create like 20 different spells to increase carrying capacity and cast them all over and over (if you named them different they would stack) :P

Hee hee. I had an entire collection of Feather-enchanted accessories for dungeon-hopping.

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    The Broom Dungeon sans brooms is still less frustrating than the Water Temple.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:
    Hunter wrote:

Same here. Got a picture in my head of James Earl Jones pushing a broom when I read the title.
    +1 for title love.

• Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Actually, there is a totally genuine reason to stockpile brooms in Skyrim. You can turn them into magical staffs at the Atronach Forge.

• CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    The Broom Dungeon sans brooms is still less frustrating than the Water Temple.

I think back at the water temple with pride since it didn't break me and make use a faq.

...and then the shadow temple broke me because of a stupid key hidden in a pile of dirt.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

True enough.

I actually tried looking up mods for Oblivion once that implemented uses for all those 'junk' items, even if the use was just flavorful at most. Couldn't find anything. Which is too bad because it's the sorta thing I would pay for.