As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] CheckPoint ep.28 - UbiHardball

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
pa_hero_checkpoint28.png

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    with that screen cap, I honestly thought Miss De Vere was going to devote a few seconds to that one meme that usually goes along with the Caramelldansen song.

I'm not entirely certain if I'm disappointed at the reality.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    with that screen cap, I honestly thought Miss De Vere was going to devote a few seconds to that one meme that usually goes along with the Caramelldansen song.

I'm not entirely certain if I'm disappointed at the reality.

They Caramelldansen alot during Desert Bus. Which you should watch, starting this Friday at http://desertbus.org/. Also donate to Child's Play.

</plugs>

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to think Khoo purposefully picks a screenshot of Kathleen making a silly face every week.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I...do not really agree with this stance on the Ubisoft movie thing

I mean, sure, I think the people they've quoted are over-reacting and getting defensive, but on the other hand, making a game and making a movie are two vastly, vastly different things from a creative and a financial standpoint

I can see exactly why movie studios would get so offended that Ubisoft would assume that they can do what studios do, particularly when they're looking at adapting a four game franchise with a...questionably cohesive story into one two hour film

on that note, it is heartening to see games studios getting more creative control over their adaptations, but one has to wonder what sort of audience they're going to reach beyond people who have already played the games

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    the last movie to try it was final fantasy. so after 11 years let someone try again.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2011
    see, that's the thing! Final Fantasy had a lot of problems as a film and was a total failure financially!

e: whoa okay I just checked, that movie made 85 million dollars

it was still a flop but goddamn that is way better than I thought it did

YaYa on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    It's been 11 years. Hollywood has had like 100 flops since. Let video games make one more flop. It's going to be a flop anyways if hollywood makes it.

jCyyTSo.png
  • DannySmoothDannySmooth Registered User new member
    Good on Ubisoft! I hope the project turns out well.

I don't see why this is kicking up a fuss, though. I mean it's like if Hollywood took offense to some indie production company making their first movie. It's not like film making is something that you can't learn ( or hire people to do for you). I guess they just see the profit that they aren't going to make (maybe).

As an aside, regardless of what the Checkpoint gang are covering, during the credits when "Boom Kate Stark" comes up, I laugh. Though, I read it like "Boom... Kate Stark!"

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The way the light is catching the bottom of her arm in that screen cap makes it look like a bad photoshop job.

steam_sig.png
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I...do not really agree with this stance on the Ubisoft movie thing

I mean, sure, I think the people they've quoted are over-reacting and getting defensive, but on the other hand, making a game and making a movie are two vastly, vastly different things from a creative and a financial standpoint

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

It wasn't working the way we were doing it. It is time to try something that isn't the way we were doing it.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
    okay you know what, no

films and video games are too complicated as mediums for there to be a label as 'video game movie'

the variety of plot and subject matter per adaptation alone would lead to vastly different films, in addition to the different directors that have worked on projects

it's just idiotic to say that people have been 'trying the same thing over and over'

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know if you guys will read this, but I have a request

not just for you, but for all film makers everywhere

when you give someone the title "boom" in the credits, can you please just end it with an exclamation point

I think you can see that my reasoning is flawless

8406wWN.png
  • GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    YaYa, I really feel like the so-called "Hollywood insiders" are reading far too much into this.

Our take is that Ubisoft said "We are making this movie. It is happening. Sony, you want to get in on this? Here are our terms."
    I don't think Ubi is being handed the goddamn keys to Hollywood.

And I think it's a great plan.

• GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    I don't know if you guys will read this, but I have a request

not just for you, but for all film makers everywhere

when you give someone the title "boom" in the credits, can you please just end it with an exclamation point

I think you can see that my reasoning is flawless
    It IS flawless.

• Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    We shouldn't freak out before the movie is even fucking made. Give Ubisoft the chance to at least try. Where's the harm in that?

It's like complaining your omelet is burnt before it's even been hatched.

• Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    I can see exactly why movie studios would get so offended that Ubisoft would assume that they can do what studios do, particularly when they're looking at adapting a four game franchise with a...questionably cohesive story into one two hour film

What the studios do is make crap adapatations of game franchises regardless of the story. I would attest that Ubisoft is trying to do what Hollywood can't or won't do: Create a good movie adaptation.

At worst, this will be a lateral move.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm sad that while you did mention Uwe Boll in the scroll you didn't do so by making a "UweSoft" pun.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    http://desertbus.org/ has started and is already up over $14,000! If you're a fan of Checkpoint, PA, Child's Play, boring bus games, donating to charity, auction items, and being a cool guy, go check them out!