As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    Was that Babysitter movie made a while ago? I thought Hill lost a bunch of weight.

Yeah I believe it was prior to the weightloss. If you see the new MW 3 commercial with Sam Worthington he looks a lot thinner.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    this is what I imagine the Twilight movies must be like. Shame, I quite liked the first book.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Twilight books are terrible and the movies are also terrible. The Hunger Games are perfectly serviceable YA lit, and definitely better than Twilight.

I haven't seen any of Twilight movies (or read the books, for that matter), only a couple of trailers and clips, and I got a similar vibe from those. Not a coincidence either, I believe. I'm beginning to suspect that their target audience is the Twilight crowd.

And the Hunger Games series has it's fair share of critics (Mockingjay in particular has a bad rep), but I guess that's best kept for another thread.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote:
    The Iron Lady teaser gave a general idea and the full trailer just seems to solidify it: Streep can start her trip to the acceptance podium now.

Yeah. Oscar-bait biopic + great acting = easy win.

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    The Hunger Games trailer looks good, I don't know why you all think otherwise. Has a similar vibe to x-men first class in terms of tone.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote:
    The Judge wrote:
    The Iron Lady teaser gave a general idea and the full trailer just seems to solidify it: Streep can start her trip to the acceptance podium now.

Yeah. Oscar-bait biopic + great acting = easy win.

Is she going to have any stiff competition this year? I can't think of a lot of Best Actress contenders, except for that Marilyn Monroe movie, and I haven't heard whether that's any good or not.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Wife and I thought the Hunger Games trailer wasn't bad either. Looking forward to the movie.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    What's with the Hunger Games hate? It looks pretty damn faithful.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    From someone who didn't know what a hunger game was until a few months ago (I honestly thought it was some kind of gladiator thing where they had to kill each other to eat), I think the best part of the trailer is the last 20 seconds or so when the countdown starts and the girl is being sent up to the field. If they can carry that completely through without trying to hit home a message, and don't try and do any kind of waxing philosophical stuff, it can work. But if the game is more a backdrop for teen angst, that might not work.

It isnt about teen angst. It is about a totalitarian government forcing kids to fight to the death on live TV in order to remind the lesser class cities that they fucked with the government and now look what happens.

There is a "love story" in the midst of it, but it's downplayed compared to horrible emotional trauma.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    there's quite a bit of teen angst in the novel though

and yeah, I thought the story only really got interesting once the actual games startet

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Does a music video parody of a trailer count?

Hunger Games Trailer Parody.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoHfCW-O2yA

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    that was pretty good

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    I'm confused on the whole Hunger Games thing, is it because there's overpopulation, or are the teens punks like in Battle Royale? I kind of thought it was a gladiator type thing but it seems to be dancing with the stars too.

And just to go along with a terrible cartoon, Jonah Hill has a babysitter movie coming out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IksgHqHD0tw

See, it's funny because a fat white guy has to watch over some punk kids (none of them seem likable in that trailer), and then he gets punched by a black lady! This is edgy stuff!

Adventures in Babysitting: Electric Boogaloo

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    adventures-in-baby-sitting.jpg

Oh man, I had such an at-the-time-age-appropriate-crush on the viking hat girl back in the day. I have no idea why, except that she was wearing a viking hat and was therefore cool.

The 80s just took more joy in their generic popcorn movies. They were still garbage, but there was something about them...
    nostalgia

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Adventures in Babysitting pretty much sums up the 80's in a nutshell, for better or worse

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:

Oh man, I had such an at-the-time-age-appropriate-crush on the viking hat girl back in the day. I have no idea why, except that she was wearing a viking hat and was therefore cool.

The 80s just took more joy in their generic popcorn movies. They were still garbage, but there was something about them...
    nostalgia
    I was born in 89. Having never seen old 80's movies before I was a teenager I don't think that's completely true. There is something about 80's movies. Some for just how apologetically crazy they are. Comedies today if they take a shot at the bizarre have to lampshade it everywhere. Like they are ashamed. Its nice to watch movies take on a strange or silly concept and play it strait.

Quire.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the music in the Hunger Games trailer after the 1 min mark is?

Kana wrote:

nostalgia
    I was born in 89. Having never seen old 80's movies before I was a teenager I don't think that's completely true. There is something about 80's movies. Some for just how apologetically crazy they are. Comedies today if they take a shot at the bizarre have to lampshade it everywhere. Like they are ashamed. Its nice to watch movies take on a strange or silly concept and play it strait.

I think you nailed it. 80s and early 90s weird movies are just WEIRD. No apologies. They're weird as fuck and yet somehow they get green-lit. Late 90s and 00's people got a little more sane, or maybe it's just they were doing less crack or something. Now even when it's a weird movie, they're still sorta trying to make some inroads to the mainstream.

On the good side, there were a lot of freaky-as-hell, why would you let a child watch this 80s children movies that freaked me out, and kids movies today are totally better.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited November 2011
    gotta say, I wouldn't mind seeing that girl in the parody vid play the lead in the movie

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hoz wrote:
    Does anyone know what the music in the Hunger Games trailer after the 1 min mark is?

This one?

It was written by Pierre Gerwig Langer.The Name of it is 'Call for Heroes.'

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    No, that one was used for the teaser. And it is awful and generic.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    While aware that there were two Snow White projects in development, I thought they were both in the same category of 'moody'.

I was wrong. I was so so wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbEVzcTHGAg

Where to begin? Lame puns ("Snow way!")? Weak jokes with pop-culture winks to the audience ("Say hello to my little friend")? Julia Roberts with an wandering accent that might let the Costner/Robin Hood combo off the hook? Pick your poison.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Geez, this really is the Year of the Shitty Fairy-tale Rehash, both tv and film.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Wow. The only thing Tarsem Singh has going for him is his visual style, and it is absolutely not on display in that trailer. I'll be damned if I'm going to watch one of his movies devoid of the only thing worth watching one of his movies for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    KalTorak wrote:
    Geez, this really is the Year of the Shitty Fairy-tale Rehash, both tv and film.

I guess Pixar wanted to prove me wrong:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/brave/

• VestyVesty Registered User regular
    The only thing I got out of that Mirror Mirror trailer is what the castle looks like since they cut to a shot of it every 20 seconds.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

I guess Pixar wanted to prove me wrong:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/brave/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPmKfcaaWk

That was a breath of fresh air.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    God I could listen to Billy Connolly talk for hours.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Oh, Pixar. Never stop being awesome.

The art in that trailer is so, so gorgeous. I can't wait.

That said, I mean... how long can this keep up? Every company makes a dud eventually, right? Right? How long can Pixar continue to kick the odds squarely in the nuts? I thought, upon seeing the initial trailers, that Up might have been that film... then I saw it and it was fantastic. Someone needs to launch an investigation. I strongly suspect that everyone at Pixar is actually a genetically engineered superbeing.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Oh, Pixar. Never stop being awesome.

The art in that trailer is so, so gorgeous. I can't wait.

That said, I mean... how long can this keep up? Every company makes a dud eventually, right? Right? How long can Pixar continue to kick the odds squarely in the nuts? I thought, upon seeing the initial trailers, that Up might have been that film... then I saw it and it was fantastic. Someone needs to launch an investigation. I strongly suspect that everyone at Pixar is actually a genetically engineered superbeing.

Apparently you missed Cars 2?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    Or even the original cars.

Though honestly the theme the trailer is going for in the Brave seems a little tired. Could just be the trailer, but its not exactly new territory for fantasy films/films that cater to children.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Though honestly the theme the trailer is going for in the Brave seems a little tired. Could just be the trailer, but its not exactly new territory for fantasy films/films that cater to children.

Yep, it's not exactly new, even for Disney (ringing some Mulan bells there), but Pixar can take something generic and craft it so well that it works.

I doubt we would ever see it in this age, but I would have liked to see the idea flipped on its head, where the girl comes from a family of warriors who wants to be a princess. It's always a princess who wants to live a normal life or be a tomboy, just flip the idea a bit. We always have the princess be established as one, or she was the princess all along but was hidden away or somesuch, this would be a nice change of pace. Of course this would have some people cry foul simply because it would embrace gender roles or something where no intent was implied. Oftentimes what is considered the convention has been replaced by the twist so that going back to the original idea is actually the new twist, if that made sense.

I think pixar could do a fairly good serious story in their animation style. Hell just follow some female warrior as she avenges her family or something. I'd watch it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    It isnt about teen angst. It is about a totalitarian government forcing kids to fight to the death on live TV in order to remind the lesser class cities that they fucked with the government and now look what happens.

There is a "love story" in the midst of it, but it's downplayed compared to horrible emotional trauma.
    Battle Royale?

TehSpectre wrote:

Battle Royale?

Yeah this seems like a young adult version of that movie. And the movie isn't even that old.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Yeah this seems like a young adult version of that movie. And the movie isn't even that old.
    That's one of those movies I always hoped would be remade (Americanized or whatever) as it never really terrified me, or made me feel uneasy like the book.
    Hoping Hunger Games gives me that.
    Some one mentioned where she and her opponents are running at the beginning of the game. That part looked great.

Well to be perfectly honest the whole people fighting each other for peoples amusement has been around forever. In a way Battle Royale is like a japanese version of the running man. The movie, not the book, the book was entirely different in every way possible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    TexiKen wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Yep, it's not exactly new, even for Disney (ringing some Mulan bells there), but Pixar can take something generic and craft it so well that it works.

I doubt we would ever see it in this age, but I would have liked to see the idea flipped on its head, where the girl comes from a family of warriors who wants to be a princess. It's always a princess who wants to live a normal life or be a tomboy, just flip the idea a bit. We always have the princess be established as one, or she was the princess all along but was hidden away or somesuch, this would be a nice change of pace. Of course this would have some people cry foul simply because it would embrace gender roles or something where no intent was implied. Oftentimes what is considered the convention has been replaced by the twist so that going back to the original idea is actually the new twist, if that made sense.

Yeah, I am getting a bit bored with the "just be yourself - as long as you're a tomgirl." As half the time it ends up kinda implying if you're a girly-girl then you're just not being yourself. Not that I think Pixar will be that unsubtle, but it IS getting a bit rote by now (And granted before now we had about 1000 years of fictional girls being princesses waiting to be rescued, so fair enough, but still...).

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:

Battle Royale?

I have read both books and seen the Battle Royale movie as well. Really they have some similarities but really really they are mostly superficial. Hunger Games actually is a really excellent series even if it young adult. Battle Royale is kind of young adult just not the typical American meaning of that idea.

Really though I have complaints about the trailer but they go more towards casting and kind of missing some major points that I don't want to say much for folks who haven't read the book.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't know why, but I don't like the look of that new Pixar movie. There, I said it.

This discussion has been closed.