As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Invincible

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
So I was at Forbidden Planet today in London, and noticed that they had the Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 1 Hardcover available.

Now I know Jordyn is apeshit over Invincible, but I'm not sure if it's my thing. I'm big on Batman/Spiderman/X-men mostly, typical superhero stuff. Can I expect the same from Invincible?

I guess I'm just looking for some honest opinions, some detail on what it's all about, and basically someone to talk me into buying into it. ;)

banner_160x60_01.gif
saint2e on

• Options
    SeravenSeraven Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Get it. Get it. Get it now!

Seraven on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    It is really good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    All the above is so true.

I was kinda skeptic, but oh man, there is nothing I cant say that that will stress enough how good this is.

I could give examples of specific events in the series but it would ruin the over all effect of reading it your self for the first time.

Seriously, just read one issue.

EDIT:

I just checked and the first issue of of Invincible is online at

http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php

it will be on the colum on the right hand side.

Let us know what you think.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    oh my god buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it.

If reading that first hardcover collection does not have you hooked, kill yourself, because there is something wrong with you.

I think what I love is that every single issue has a moment where I laugh, a moment where I say "YES!" and a moment where I say "OH HOLY SHIT." It is so goddamn good.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Kudos to DD for the link. Just read Issue 1 online, and loved it.

"That was back when I thought your father's powers were solar-based."
    "It's a common mistake."

That and the mother's nonchalent approach to the father's "job" sold me.

Thanks, all. :)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, I just read issue #1 and it was terrific, if only for the Family Matters references. I knew the trades were titled after 90s sitcoms, but I didn't know there were references in the books. "Principal Winslow" "Steve White" "Reginald VelJohnson High".

I think my boss has the first ultimate collection, so I'll see if I can borrow it off of him. I wanted to pick some trades up the other day at Barnes & Noble, but they didn't have any.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Dupli-kate

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    A shame I already have the first three trades, since hardcovers are always better. I should get the forth next paycheck.

But yeah, this is one of those comic book series that if you just can't not enjoy.

I really like Robot. I'm so very curious about where he came from. I hope I get to find out in later issues. (DON'T SPOIL ME!)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    oh my god buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it.

If reading that first hardcover collection does not have you hooked, kill yourself, because there is something wrong with you.

I think what I love is that every single issue has a moment where I laugh, a moment where I say "YES!" and a moment where I say "OH HOLY SHIT." It is so goddamn good.

Jordyn, how is it you can phrase things so well and not give anything away.

I would be spoilering out my ass if i let the excitment get to me.

But you....you are Thesaurous Sorceress.

Good to here the link was useful, now try the Walking Dead on too, youll enjoy it also if you arnt already reading it. But thats for another thread. :wink:

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Thesorceress.

I think I need to get CoV just to make a villian named that.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Good to here the link was useful, now try the Walking Dead on too, youll enjoy it also if you arnt already reading it. But thats for another thread. :wink:

I love all things Zombie, so I think I will. ;) I haven't really strayed too far from the big 2 comic companies, but I have started branching out now with Image (Invincible, and as you say, Walking Dead), and Dark Horse (PA, Star Wars Legacy), etc.

Many thanks, again!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Saint2e, you need to read The Goon. It has zombies. And other awesome stuff.

Can be found at mycomicshop.com pretty cheap:
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/search?qry=the%20goon&pcat=Graphic%20Novels%20and%20Art%20Books
    :D

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Chaos ZeroChaos Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Invincible's one of the best comics ever! YES!

Chaos Zero on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I almost bought the first trade on Friday but didn't. Now I regret it.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Suds wrote:

There's always next time.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Suds wrote:

There's always Amazon.

fix'd

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If by good you all mean "the greatest comic book ever", then I completely agree. What are you doing still here? Get it, read it, love every panel and word of it now.

Crayon on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Dupli-kate

<3

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    buy the hardcovers.

Angry on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Also, do not buy from Amazon, unless you can't avoid it. I suggest mycomicshop.com. Never ever buy anything at milehighcomics.com. Their prices are obscenely higher than everyone else.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I'm being a corporate whore and buying them from forbiddenplanet.co.uk. ;)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    screw you guys, i just ordered the ultimate edition 1 from amazon.

this forum can go to hell.. causing me to spend my monies.

edit - i don't get teh don't buy from amazon comic, almost every single thign they sell (taht is in stock) is priced waaay lower than my local shop. I still buy tons of stuff at my local shop, but for a big hardcover, amazon is the way to go (at least in canada)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    Hardtarget wrote:

edit - i don't get teh don't buy from amazon comic, almost every single thign they sell (taht is in stock) is priced waaay lower than my local shop. I still buy tons of stuff at my local shop, but for a big hardcover, amazon is the way to go (at least in canada)
    As much as I like to support my local comic shop, saving like 40% off the cover price on trades is very very nice, especially living in Canada, when none of the comic companies have realized just how high our dollar is now.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Hardtarget wrote:

He speaks the truth!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, Amazon is tons cheaper than retail. Especially if you get from the individual sellers.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    Hmm, I've been thinking about getting a graphic novel. 400 pages for £15.50 of amazon (cheaper than forbidden planet - which you keep promoting at every turn, quiet suspiciously I may add.) I think I'm in. How many of the normal trade paper backs is that?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Hmm, I've been thinking about getting a graphic novel. 400 pages for £15.50 of amazon (cheaper than forbidden planet - which you keep promoting at every turn, quiet suspiciously I may add.) I think I'm in. How many of the normal trade paper backs is that?

Meh, I just deal with them alot. They seem to have good prices, is all.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    MartmanMartman Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Lave wrote:
    The first three add up to 392 pages according to Amazon.

Martman on
    TheFishF wrote:
    dude you going to answer my question or just say words that make no sence :?
    My Mario Kart DS Friend Code: 051-600-286-877
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    No worries, saint2e, I've just got edgey after the VidGuy event and the last Market Researcher we had to flame ou of town in G&T.

Still I read the first issue - and enough people here like it for me to give it a shot. Think I've had quiet a bit of it spoiler'd for me though - but I hope it can stand up despite that I (think) I know that (warning: major spoiler if Im right):

[spoiler:abe65be14a]His dad isn't actually a goodguy but an evil alien who destroyed their version of the "Justice League" and so he has to save the world or something like that [/spoiler:abe65be14a]

Will knowing the above ruin it for me?

And cheers Martman, that didn't occur to me.

I picked up Walking dead volume one on the way as well (150 pages). Hope it's good.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    *click*

Amber: How'd you do that?

Mark: Super powers, baby.

That line get's me every time

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    so a few days back I finally got around to Ordering Girls trade 1 and 2 since I was ordering Invisible anyways.

for some weird ass reason they shipped Girls 1/2 2 days ago and then in a totally seperate package shipped invinsible yesterday. Not only does amazon usually charge extra for split packages (which they didn't) they didn't even come from a different warehouse or anything.

Kinda odd heh.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2006
    The name of the book is plastered all over this thread and also in the Subject line, an inch and a half above your post.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    huh?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    he misspelled Invincible.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Maybe there is another book called Invisible?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Suds wrote:
    Maybe there is another book called Invisible?

The Invisibles?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DakDak Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Hey dudes, I saw a trade fr Marvel Team-Up - sSpider-man and Invincible.

It's ritten by Kirkman, so I'm confident in it, but I've been short on cash lately so anyone want to tell me if it's any good?

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Dak wrote:

It's ritten by Kirkman, so I'm confident in it, but I've been short on cash lately so anyone want to tell me if it's any good?
    It's pretty cool, if only for Mark's ripping on spidey because of his name.

Mark: You have spider powers, right?

Pete: Yeah.

Mark: And you call yourself Spider-Man?

Pete: Whats wrong with Spider-Man?

Mark: Nothing, it just seems kind of lazy. I mean, spider powers, Spider-man. That'ed be like if I went "Well, I have super powers, i think I'll call myself Superman."

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Black-Man.

heh

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Dak wrote:

It's pretty cool, if only for Mark's ripping on spidey because of his name.

Mark: You have spider powers, right?

Pete: Yeah.

Mark: And you call yourself Spider-Man?

Pete: Whats wrong with Spider-Man?

Mark: Nothing, it just seems kind of lazy. I mean, spider powers, Spider-man. That'ed be like if I went "Well, I have super powers, i think I'll call myself Superman."
    Spider-man: Yes, I'm sure calling myself "Flexible" or "Sticky" would have been much better.

...Yeah, I never read the comic, but I imagine Spider-man giving some kind of witty comeback.

SpeedySwaf on