As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    mxmarks wrote:
    So after weeks of telling people at work Im going to need a sick day to enjoy this and UMvC3, I actually woke up just now from a nap legitimately sick. And now need to seriously consider using a real sick day and getting medicine and all that because I'm actually sick.

...this however doesn't mean I can't now go to a midnight launch, right?
    Bring an IV. Just in case.

I'm not gonna go to midnight myself since I figure I'll just get it after I get home.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait why are we talking about first-person platforming all of a sudden
    I think I missed a step in the conversation

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I've decided to forgo the midnight release tonight and just pick it up in the morning. I have better things to do than stand around for 2 hours in an uncomfortably small shop with people who don't want to be there or, apparently, shower; when I'm probably not going to get to play till tomorrow anyway.
    i don't know if you live in a huge city or some shit, but 2 hours for a midnight launch?! it's called midnight not 10 o'clock launch. i literally show up at 11:45, get in line, and am out the door by 12:15.
    even for bigger areas i imagine the line can't be that bad

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I've decided to forgo the midnight release tonight and just pick it up in the morning. I have better things to do than stand around for 2 hours in an uncomfortably small shop with people who don't want to be there or, apparently, shower; when I'm probably not going to get to play till tomorrow anyway.
    i don't know if you live in a huge city or some shit, but 2 hours for a midnight launch?! it's called midnight not 10 o'clock launch. i literally show up at 11:45, get in line, and am out the door by 12:15.
    even for bigger areas i imagine the line can't be that bad

Last time I tried the showing up late thing (Reach) I ended up having to stick around for ages afterward because they get all anal about people not completing their orders like right at 10.

I might drop by at quarter to and just see, since the store isn't far away, but yeah. I'm not waiting around from 10-12 like they usually like.

It's kind of a shitty gamestop and the only reason I order anything there is for things like AssRev with the significant difference in preorder stuff. I'm not entirely sure I remember why I did Reach. Probably a similar reason.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah, about those timed labyrinth parkour courses where you have to jump on the levers before they retract things from ACII;

My wife is literally doing those right now as I'm typing. I had forgotten how frustrating they are. No thank you to any more of those.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Chris FOM wrote:
    On a completely different note, does anyone know if the copy of AC1 in the PS3 version of Revelations is save-compatible with the standalone disc? I have no desire to own two copies of the original game, so if my save will still work (allowing me the ability to return to the Holy Land and shank mans indiscriminately without replaying the entire game) I'll trade in my copy. Otherwise I'll groan but keep it.

Anyone? Bueller?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I decided not to get this tomorrow partly due to funds but mostly because I haven't finished Brotherhood yet. I justified losing out on the extra Gamestop stuff due to some of it being multiplayer and I'm not bothering with that feature.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    wow so guess this is karma for my snarky midnight launch post above, just had the worst experience hands down.
    earlier this week, i asked my local GS if they were doing a midnight launch for this and halo. the fucking douche told me they were.
    cut to tonight. it's raining. i get there at 11:45, and only one other person is in line...
    and the store is closed. lights are on, TV's on, no one's home. i waited a half hour to see if anyone showed up... only a few more confused costumers did. no managers or employees in sight.
    i've never been straight up lied to before about something like this. but man, i'm gonna tear that GS a new asshole in the morning. seriously taking my money down to best buy and getting it there instead.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So, I didn't preorder this or anything. Went to Wal-Mart at a bit past midnight today, and they were selling it for $39.99

I looked at prices elsewhere, and it's the same default 59.99, so, well, I feel sorry for people who preordered, I guess.

Are you the magic man?
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Media blackout time for Rev!

Sorry Ezio old friend, Skyward Sword gets my gaming time (and cash) this month.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Wait why are we talking about first-person platforming all of a sudden
    I think I missed a step in the conversation
    The sandbox collectable flavour this month is Animus Data Fragments. Collecting so many allows you to experience a Desmond Memory Fragment. However this does not take the expected form of Desmond playing as his younger self, but wandering round a disjointed place in first person as Desmond muses about some aspect of his life. While the musing is interesting and helps flesh out Desmond's character, that decision is a little weird.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Notes about ACR so far

- This game looks even better than Brotherhood, very nice attention to detail, especially in costumes
    - Hookblading is fun! Ziplining is fun!
    - Yusuf is so fucking likable, I kinda wish they had just forgone Ezio and had you play as him instead
    - The tower defense game, like all tower defense games, is fucking completely terrible and should be banned from existence on this planet.
    - The weapon wheel selection process is a lot easier now
    - It's left stick for Eagle Vision and synchronizing viewpoints now, and it's B to talk to quest-givers and shop owners. Throwing me off a little bit

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah Yusuf is awesome, wouldn't have minded playing as him.

EDIT: In addition to my grumbling of yesterday, I played a bit more and started to feel some more of the old AC magic. This pleases me as I love the series to bits.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That tower defense game is dampening my enthusiasm. I like fighting and assassining. I don't like rts very much, I don't have the patience. Luckily, I get to choose to play action games instead, a different genre. Please keep that shit out of my action games.
    I hope it's not as bad as people are making it sound.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It didn't seem too bad to me.
    I've only played the first one, so maybe they go easy on you, but it was an interesting change of pace, and doesn't come close to taking over the game.
    My only complaint is the 'there's too many to fight directly' claim they make from time to time.
    Excuse me? I can fight through small armies on my own, and I count waves of six or eight guys. Let me jump down and fight them. Double air-assassinate, counter, one kill streak and we're done.
    The reasoning behind the first-person Desmond bits eludes me, though. What was wrong with setting up some free-running obstacle courses instead, Ubi? Were you worried you'd made a movemen system that was too good to base an entire game around?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just as with Arkham City, this game arrives on a day I won't get home from work until about 10 PM. Unlike with Arkham City, I can't get away with calling in sick the next day to spend some quality time with the game.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I hear it's got two assassins.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the opening sequence was pretty weak, but Constantinople is easily the best setting in the series so far. I wish the game just started there

PNk1Ml4.png
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Game showed up at my doorstep! Can't play (my Xbox red ringed at the worst time of the year :() but I noticed the game came with 3D glasses...what's up with that ? I don't have a 3D tv or anything.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    jackisreal wrote:
    Game showed up at my doorstep! Can't play (my Xbox red ringed at the worst time of the year :() but I noticed the game came with 3D glasses...what's up with that ? I don't have a 3D tv or anything.

Amazon I'm assuming? There's an option you flip on and it makes it 3D (does not require a 3Dtv).

Arkham City also supports those glasses.

• AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    Hazzah, the Animus edition just arrived on my doorstep and I booked tomorrow off to play it. Can't wait!

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    So if any UKers happen to have their version of the Signature Edition(the one with the Ottoman Doctor Character). I'd be totally willing to trade my US one (with Ottoman Jester) for it.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    when I first saw those desmond bits I seriously thought it was going to go all mirrors edge but alas, no, just some crappy platform action

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    jackisreal wrote:

Amazon I'm assuming? There's an option you flip on and it makes it 3D (does not require a 3Dtv).

Really? Can anyone comment on how it looks?

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Goddammit. I have the game just sitting here on my desk at work. Waiting.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Icemopper wrote:
    jackisreal wrote:

I will if my copy ever gets here. (I hate UPS).

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Are the tower defense bits mandatory?

ok this lute mission is the best fucking thing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    this game is pretty buggy, I just went 3.5 hours with no money being deposited. I thought I was screwed until two eventually went in at once. Still, that's about 90k I've lost out on.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    After playing the first mission of it, I really enjoyed that Tower-Defense style. I can understand why you guys don't like it, but I find it appealing.
    I agree on everything else; Constantinople is beautiful, and Yusuf is a pretty cool guy.

I also like what they did to the multiplayer; more customization, the ability to make a party, and the new modes sound nice but I haven't played any of them yet. Corruption seems awesome, though. Not sure what I think of its prestige system, though. I mean, yeah, playing Brohood's multiplayer as a level 50 all the time was kinda boring, especially without a system like "Simple Deathmatch" where you can play without abilities, but over 40 times? That's a little crazy. It gives the multiplayer a little more life to it I suppose, which isn't too bad.

Not that it matters, though, I'll be playing the multiplayer for quite a while anyway, especially if my friends get it at some point.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Anarchy wrote:
    Hazzah, the Animus edition just arrived on my doorstep and I booked tomorrow off to play it. Can't wait!

Quick warning; Don't read the encyclopediea before completing the game, as it includes Revelations story details.
    The only spoiler I read was one I had already guessed, so not much damage done.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    Changes to the multiplayer aren't huge but all very good it seems like. Being able to mess up your killer and get some points from it if you manage to spot them is cool. I also really like the capture the artifacts mode. Matchmaking is very much improved and the whole interface and design are much better. Only thing is that I'm not too excited about all the new characters but I assume I'll grow to like them.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
    Icemopper wrote:
    jackisreal wrote:

I will if my copy ever gets here. (I hate UPS).

It's pretty meh. The bottom line is it's still colored lenses so it gets funky and dark. Though I noticed that after a little bit the discoloration seemed to go away, though once I acknowledged this it came back. It's a nice extra to see how it might look if you had a 3Dtv. It definitely isn't that great in a dark setting (like the very beginning) but once I got into the city proper it was fairly impressive.

Interestingly, switching on this version of 3D is subtle enough that someone could still watch you play without it being all blurry.

These Desmond sequences are getting good. It's like he actually has a personality!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Has anyone been able to get 100% sync on the early mission where you take back the first den in the north bazaar? Seems like no matter what I do, someone gets alerted when I assassinate the leader.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm installing the game to my 360 as I type this, but there's a nice article at Kotaku that gives suggestions about how best to start playing the game: http://kotaku.com/5859671/before-you-start-tips-for-playing-assassins-creed-revelations-the-best-way

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Oh my goodness I love multiplayer. Three matches in and I've already gotten extreme variety, 16 accolades in a single match, and all of the skill-based multiplayer achievements. I know I will be playing this for a while.

Maybe it's because I got into Brotherhood multiplayer a bit late, but the character selection feels lacking, and only five new maps? Nice to see the Courtesan return, even if she isn't customizable, and I'm glad to see Mont Saint-Michel map as wellHopefully Ubisoft will bring back Siena too, as it was my favorite map in Brotherhood.

And as a fan of AC's crazy story, the beginning of the game, wow.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    jackisreal wrote:

You know the glasses you get for 3d movies in the cinema, do they work? I keep my pair in between so I don't need to buy them again.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    jackisreal wrote:

You know the glasses you get for 3d movies in the cinema, do they work? I keep my pair in between so I don't need to buy them again.

Nope, these are magenta & green.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As someone who loves Tower Defense as a genre, I'm actually enjoying these bits in ACR. My only real complaint with it is that the interface is a bit clunky and I wish I had more camera control during these parts. But overall, I find the general activity of placing dudes on rooftops to shoot their projectiles at hapless templars in the streets to be an enjoyable experience.