As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Classic console night '06

ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the swordhttp://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
** EDIT FOR BUMPAGE**

Astonyx said that they are doing something in their hotel room(paragon) with a bunch of sega stuff. I'm planning on dragging my LCD TV to pax. I am cutting back on consoles. I had brought too much last year and too much if it went unplayed.

I think what i will focus on is the atari flashback 2, Nes, Snes, And A jakks pacific ms pac joystick. We will host this in the table top area provided there is enough space for this event. (i'm aware we might be asked to leave, but we will then reconvene in my hotel room)

I figure that the tabletop area is the best place to pick up people to play against as well as the doubletree didn't have enough foot traffic last year.

Hungry hungry hippos will also make an appearance as well.

I'll find some way to make myself visibily entertaining for you people.

(see last post for entertainingly visible)

Viscountalpha on

• Options
    ZartanZartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    That would be pretty cool, I just fixed my old sega genesis and got back into playing all the old games

Zartan on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'd consider bringing my SNES and some games if there was something organised for this.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2006
    Fuck yes. Classic mario kart tourney for the win!

California Games!

etcetera!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZartanZartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'm thinking a definate yes to the Mario Kart, Turtles in time would be fun, not realy a competative game but still fun

Zartan on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    I'd consider bringing my SNES and some games if there was something organised for this.

Im of the feeling to keep console bringing to 1 or 2 people to reduce the chances of mixing up hardware/gaining losing hardware. Im reluctant to have people bring their own games but considering what i saw at pax last year and how cool people were im not very worried. I Might still have a login sheet and what not to ensure rightful owners have their games and what not.

Martian viking brought a sega saturn with 10 man setup, Im not sure about that this year as it was a hassle for him to get onto the plane. Oh and I will host nintendo DS games there as well.

I would like to bring--

NES-SNES-Atari flashback 2. Maybe a Dreamcast. Im going to keep consoles to a minimum since alot of them were not played last year.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If this happens im so there :D

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:

Im of the feeling to keep console bringing to 1 or 2 people to reduce the chances of mixing up hardware/gaining losing hardware. Im reluctant to have people bring their own games but considering what i saw at pax last year and how cool people were im not very worried. I Might still have a login sheet and what not to ensure rightful owners have their games and what not.

Martian viking brought a sega saturn with 10 man setup, Im not sure about that this year as it was a hassle for him to get onto the plane. Oh and I will host nintendo DS games there as well.

I would like to bring--

NES-SNES-Atari flashback 2. Maybe a Dreamcast. Im going to keep consoles to a minimum since alot of them were not played last year.

No... no Genesis?... :cry: Ah well. At least I'll have 1 or 2 in my hotel room along with a Sega GameGear (woot!)

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    fuck yeah! Bring back that bomberman multiplayer game

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I am thinking about bringing my orginal 2600 with all it's games, and an old tv to complete the look, incase you want to count me in for the evening.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Too bad the Wii won't be out in time or we could totally Virtual Console it up.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Lazarus PlusLazarus Plus Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If there's some kind of organization for this, I would bring my SNES and some stuff like Street Fighter 2 Hyper and Metal Warriors.

Lazarus Plus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If there's some kind of organization for this, I would bring my SNES and some stuff like Street Fighter 2 Hyper and Metal Warriors.

The Issue i run into at the hotel is getting component in (RCA yellow) RFU's suck imho. Last year i rented a tv and that sucked as well. I want to bring my lightweight (but fragile) LCD tv for this event. The thing that holds me back is the stupid case and no :( i didn't get a box with my lcd tv.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2006
    They (Khoo!?) need to work out a room at the hotel that only has tvs with RCA input and people can bring their own consoles to plug in, almost a Bring Your Own Console room without having to be registered for a spot (since I doubt everybody'd want to leave them there unattended, I know I wouldn't).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    They (Khoo!?) need to work out a room at the hotel that only has tvs with RCA input and people can bring their own consoles to plug in, almost a Bring Your Own Console room without having to be registered for a spot (since I doubt everybody'd want to leave them there unattended, I know I wouldn't).

I am personally bringing an additional TV with me (probably 2) for that very purpose. They'll be in my hotel room at the Paragon, and I know that the hotel TV and at least 1 of the TVs I bring from storage will be for classic console gameplay. The 3rd TV will probably be for screenings of The Legend of Zelda, The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, and Captain N The Gamemaster. Gotta have some classic blatant late 80's video game advertising shows to go with the classic consoles! People are more than welcome to come and join the festivities :) ... and that means you Moe! :P

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Metal Warriors is such a delightful cartridge. I think we should definitely have that present, it has been far too long since I have indulged in the infinite beauty of that game.

the dough on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2006
    Astayonix wrote:
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

I am personally bringing an additional TV with me (probably 2) for that very purpose. They'll be in my hotel room at the Paragon, and I know that the hotel TV and at least 1 of the TVs I bring from storage will be for classic console gameplay. The 3rd TV will probably be for screenings of The Legend of Zelda, The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, and Captain N The Gamemaster. Gotta have some classic blatant late 80's video game advertising shows to go with the classic consoles! People are more than welcome to come and join the festivities :) ... and that means you Moe! :P

Rad. I'm staying at the Paragon too, I'll have to check this out.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Astayonix wrote:
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

If your going to do that, I don't mind listing what places have classic consoles and updating the main thread here. I heard that martian viking wants to bring his 10 man bomberman setup to pax again this year.

I know other people brought classic consoles and were turned down at the door because of security/liability issues. As soon as you know your hotel assignment post it here and we will have places people can go for classic console enjoyment.

Khoo if your reading this, A tv in the tabletop room would be killer at the red lion.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if anyone else would be interested since it wouldn't really be a competetive game like the rest, but it might be fun to bring along Secret of Mana and get some three player action going on. Just a thought.

the dough on
  • Options
    Lazarus PlusLazarus Plus Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You can certainly choose to do that. (Not that you can play it three player without a link.)

Too bad Secret of Evermore wasn't designed to be 2 player.

Lazarus Plus on
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Too bad Secret of Evermore wasn't designed to be 2 player.

Indeed.

I'm all over this if it comes to fruition. Can bring an 80's era TV if no one wants to ride in my car on the way up, plus numerous SNES games (since it sounds like the system is already covered).

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I was under the impression that you can play Secret of Mana with a multi-tap.

the dough on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    the dough wrote:
    I was under the impression that you can play Secret of Mana with a multi-tap.

You can. Secret of Evermore, however, is single-player.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    postermonkeypostermonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    sega hockey ....

ncaa basketball for super nintendo was it ?

i should dig around in the closet i guess... im almost positive i gave away all those sega games years ago ....

postermonkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Ok, so other people want to do this as well. I've (hopefully) located a bag online thats suitable for my needs at pax for my lcd tv. I will host in my room when myself and others in my room are there to watch the stuffs.

I have decided-- a nes (probably a neo-fami of the internets) a snes and a dreamcast. Maybe that ms pacman joystick (made by jakks pacific)

It is rumored that martian viking will bring is 8-10 man bomberman setup again this year.

Astayonix is going to be doing some genesis+ old videogame shows it sounds like at the paragon hotel which.. I will most certainly check out by bringing along my copy of GENERAL CHAOS, one of the first console RTS games ever.

I'll update as information on hotel room placement information becomes available. I need to check with the red lion and see if can't get a room placement now.

I thank everyone for wanting to participate in this years classic console night again. Should be a blast-- especially if we can get a place in the tabletop room.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Astayonix is going to be doing some genesis+ old videogame shows it sounds like at the paragon hotel which.. I will most certainly check out by bringing along my copy of GENERAL CHAOS, one of the first console RTS games ever.

You bet! If you want partake, please let me know. I want to have some sort of a controlled environment because this of the potential for "shrinkage" and because these are decade + old games/consoles that I love dearly. I'd like to keep it intimate, so e-mail or PM me on here if Sega Genesis/Game Gear/80's Video Gaming Cartoons at the Parragon Hotel sound like something you'd like to get into. If you want to bring your favorite Sega Genesis/Game Gear cartridges or your favorite controller, feel free! Sorry, I don't have a Sega CD :(.

Teh email: astayonix at juno dot com

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    AerophisAerophis Gamer Dad Issaquah WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    8 Player Bomberman would be soooo sweet! I love that game! I think the SNES and Genesis versions were the best ones released. The N64 version just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I'd totally be up for it.

Aerophis on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm Aging this for great justice.

This should be even better then last year ^^

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I've got the old Hudson SNES multitap that I might bring.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    I've got the old Hudson SNES multitap that I might bring.

I have one, and i have a super bomberman 2 cart as well.

Should be sweet.....

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I've figured out the best time to run classic console night. Right after the concert. I'll take my leave maybe 1/2hr to 15 minutes before it ends and go prepare for it in the table top area. If theres no available room, I'll see if i can get a sign or something to direct peoples attention to the hotel room of destiny. Sunday night will be classic console night as well if you don't have to catch your flight out until monday. (thank you mrpulsar)

Any Questions? And yes. My 20inch lcd tv is guaranteed to be there!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    john_zoidbergjohn_zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    What time on Sunday? I'd love to attend, but I'm flying out at like 8pm. I probably won't be able to make it unless it is on Friday or Saturday night. Let me know if it is going to take place at a different time/date or whatever.

john_zoidberg on
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    What time on Sunday? I'd love to attend, but I'm flying out at like 8pm. I probably won't be able to make it unless it is on Friday or Saturday night. Let me know if it is going to take place at a different time/date or whatever.

Well, this is going to take place AFTER the omegathon to kind of cool down and relax. Im not sure when they will close the red lyon area, But, If its available and not too crouded we could head back there.

Ya, Omegathon is at 6pm, Im not sure you will have enough time to see it and get to the airport in time (maybe)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    So wait, what hotel is this taking place at? Also you said after the concert, are there not two concerts on two seperate nights? I don't want to miss this.

the dough on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    the dough wrote:
    So wait, what hotel is this taking place at? Also you said after the concert, are there not two concerts on two seperate nights? I don't want to miss this.

Ya, red lion. Table top area (if space is allowing)

I'll wear my disco shirt (I'll post it here and Who am I thread) Trust me, if you can't see me, you must be blind (literally)

Im extremely photogenic and I can draw attention with my clothing easily. (I WILL BE FULLY CLOTHED)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    john_zoidbergjohn_zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Well, this is going to take place AFTER the omegathon to kind of cool down and relax. Im not sure when they will close the red lyon area, But, If its available and not too crouded we could head back there.

Ya, Omegathon is at 6pm, Im not sure you will have enough time to see it and get to the airport in time (maybe)

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to make it (*sniff*)Well, maybe next year.

john_zoidberg on
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
  • Options
    edited August 2006

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to make it (*sniff*)Well, maybe next year.

And see, Im doing it all the nights after the concert. ^^ Only way I could find a slot thats not really taken anywhere else (or doesn't mess with my tournament playing)

We will work something out somehow.

I am now entertainingly shiny for your amusment...

Viscountalpha8x6.jpg

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Might as well list the SNES games I plan to bring

Secret of Mana (Anyone got a multi-tap and third controller?)
    F-Zero
    Kirby's Avalance(think it is 2 player)
    TMNT IV Turtles in Time
    Gradius 3
    Mortal Kmobat
    Clay Fighter
    Kirby Super Star
    Captain America and The Avengers
    Samurai Showdown
    Battletoads and Double Dragon
    Megaman Soccer
    Donkey Kong Country 1-3
    Megaman X 1-3
    Megaman 7
    Dino City
    Cool Spot(7-up was badass in the 90s)
    Super Mario World
    Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Mario RPG (Battery died saves don't last long)
    Super james Pond
    Pilotwings

I will be in the Hilton that used to be the Doubletree. I can get the games moved in to the offical room or whatever or just have a SNES party in my room.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I have the multi-tap(somewhere) I'll tear my room apart to find it if i have to. Are you bringing your own console? If so, I'll plan on keeping my games minimal. I have superbomberman 2 + that multi-tap means 4 player bomberman but it is confirmed we will have 8-10 player sega saturn bomberman at this event as well. The main games for snes Im going to bring are

Street fighter 2-hyper fighting
    Super bomberman 2

Please notice that times may change, But this is a definite go. As it stands it will be basically when ever we feel like it (mostly after concerts though)

Thursday after Dinner and a movie-- Friday night after the concert, Saturday after the concert, sunday after the omegathon as it currently stands.

I'm really trying to keep the amout of cartriges bringers limited so we don't have mixed up hardware and cartriges. At this point I might be forced to get some masking tape and a black marker to keep things sorted.

FYI-- BRING AT YOUR OWN RISK. I cannot be held liable if your hardware /cartriges are damaged by accident. Last year there wasn't much of a problem.
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Might as well list the SNES games I plan to bring

Secret of Mana (Anyone got a multi-tap and third controller?)
    F-Zero
    Kirby's Avalance(think it is 2 player)
    TMNT IV Turtles in Time
    Gradius 3
    Mortal Kmobat
    Clay Fighter
    Kirby Super Star
    Captain America and The Avengers
    Samurai Showdown
    Battletoads and Double Dragon
    Megaman Soccer
    Donkey Kong Country 1-3
    Megaman X 1-3
    Megaman 7
    Dino City
    Cool Spot(7-up was badass in the 90s)
    Super Mario World
    Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Mario RPG (Battery died saves don't last long)
    Super james Pond
    Pilotwings

I will be in the Hilton that used to be the Doubletree. I can get the games moved in to the offical room or whatever or just have a SNES party in my room.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Idea if your hotel TV's don't have RCA hookups:

Go To Wal-Mart and buy one! Save the Box and return it before you leave. Just keep the receipt.

XR on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah I figured it might just be more of an extension of the classic Classic console party in my room in the Doubletree and for the offical party just bring the games that no one else has that are in demand. I am hoping we can get this all worked out during the Pre-PAX dinner real quick. Get a count of TVs, consoles and who is bring what. If you hear someone yelling your name out during the dinner that will prolly be me. It's pronounced Vis-count-alpha correct?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png