As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trenches comic: Tuesday Nov. 15, 2011 - Friction

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-kZnXMtS.jpg
Justice in the Trenches

11/15/2011 - Anonymous

My production team was doing full QA for a space sim as part of a new endeavor to provide a QA service during development downtime. This particular space sim was awful. We spent hours trying to divine controls, objectives, and how to shoot down a single enemy craft. (When all was said and done, I destroyed one fighter in 3 months of testing in god mode after chasing it for an hour).

The game wasn’t that buggy, it was just BAD. I recall one impossible mission that required the player to shoot down 8 enemy craft in ten minutes or the objective corvette-type vessel became invincible. Except none of this was actually explained. It just threw you in and you were expected to know.

The highlight of the experience came one day after submitting constructive feedback like “maybe you should lower enemy health or increase player weapon damage.” We received an e-mail from the lead designer in bold, underlined, red text that “MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER GAMERS IN YOUR TEST DEPARTMENT.” Keep in mind, my team was comprised of gamers that would get saluted in the trenches for their gaming knowledge and fragging skills.

In a rare fit of justice for QA everywhere, the game was scrapped, the designer shown the door, and the game never saw a release.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I liked it, but the text in the last panel kind of killed it for me in an almost CAD fashion. Felt like it would've been more satisfying either at 3 panels, or the fourth with no text.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm just happy that story didn't end with "and then I was fired".

But yeah, I tested some really crappy games in my time. And the developers were all "OUR GAME IS PERFECT"

• JasperJasper Registered User new member
    This is a breakthrough for Trenches. A funny comic. Please keep it up.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, this sounds like a certain individual with the name D.S., except I don't thinkhis games were put through external QA, or cancelled for that matter.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It was a good comic. I enjoyed this.

I liked JAEF's idea that the fourth panel have no text, but it's probably best this way for the masses. Or perhaps had the text bubble from 4 to be a 3rd and final bubble in 3 then leave 4 w/o text, but what do I know I've never created anything of value.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This is the first time I've laughed aloud at a Trenches comic. Good job!

And I disagree about the panel numbers, it wasn't until panel 4 that I laughed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    I too liked the 4th panel. I'm watching you, door. Hahahaha.

Free cake. Inquire within.
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    This comic made me think of Neverwhere.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    trenchit.png

Oh brilliant
  • ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    Until the last line of that story, I was pretty sure it was about EVE.

steam_sig.png
  • aerobeingaerobeing Registered User new member
    Gyral wrote:
    Thank you for mentioning that. It looks like an interesting series/book I never heard about.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I can't shake the feeling that the Tale from the Trenches is talking about a Derek Smart/Battlecruiser 3000A.D. game.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    UnbrokenEva on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    trenchit.png

Well executed.

• ercerc Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People who do QA for games sure do like to complain about their jobs. Running through tedious test cases in a crappy game is far less awful than running through tedious test cases in enterprise-level sales and use tax compliance software.

I have stories about the awful parts of my old job, but they're so boring that nobody would ever read them.

erc on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    aerobeing wrote:
    Gyral wrote:
    Thank you for mentioning that. It looks like an interesting series/book I never heard about.

It is such a good book.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote:
    I can't shake the feeling that the Tale from the Trenches is talking about a Derek Smart/Battlecruiser 3000A.D. game.

Hush! If you say his name three times he'll appear!

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    Loved this one. The fourth panel punchline works fine but it is also good without it. Maybe I can't read the comic without hearing that last line in my head since I read that version first or maybe the look is punchline enough. We will never know.

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Jasper wrote:
    This is a breakthrough for Trenches. A funny comic. Please keep it up.

You need some patience, son.

Also, a healthy fear of doors is central to surviving in a busy office. It's for the best that Isaac learned this now.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    erc wrote:
    People who do QA for games sure do like to complain about their jobs. Running through tedious test cases in a crappy game is far less awful than running through tedious test cases in enterprise-level sales and use tax compliance software.

I have stories about the awful parts of my old job, but they're so boring that nobody would ever read them.

If there was a webcomic that posted stories from people who did QA for tax software, people who did QA for tax software would be queuing up to whine. The fact that there is not a place that posts stories about people who do QA for tax software is not a demonstration of the moral superiority of people who do QA for tax software.

• Zazu YenZazu Yen Senior Developer San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    This reminds me of one of the old Wizardry games, the original Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord I think, which had part of a level that consisted largely of a grid of identical small square rooms with doors in each wall. The graphics and hud were such that you couldn't tell which room you were in let alone which direction you were facing (no automap or compas) and naturally some rooms contained spinners or teleporters which, unless you caught the tell-tale little 'blink' while it redrew the room, you didn't know had triggered and changed your facing/location. It was hell to map and, naturally, there was a chance for random encounters every time you stepped into a new room (and some tough encounters that weren't random but at least let you know where you were once you'd mapped them).

It was almost more annoying than the level which was nothing but a big grid of hallways in which every intersection was a pit trap, spinner or teleporter. Sigh, they don't make 'em like that any more (and there's a reason for that). I must have killed thousands of Murphy's Ghosts in that game just to grind up my level, almost like playing a MMO today.

ExistentialExistenceException: Your thread encountered a NULL pointer and entered a state of non-being.
  • VorpalKVorpalK Registered User new member

This. Immediately thought of Derek Smart.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Before publisher Take-Two Interactive released Battlecruiser 3000AD in September 1996, it had generated one of the longest and largest flame wars in the history of Usenet.[19] This flamewar lasted for several years, garnered over 70,000 posts, and yielded a series of sites that documented and parodied its history.

In the grim dark year of 3000AD there is only flamewar.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Pfft. He only got through five hundred? Wimp.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    Man, this sounds like a certain individual with the name D.S., except I don't thinkhis games were put through external QA, or cancelled for that matter.

That's DOCTOR D.S., please.

Actually I thought it was a game called "X3" up until that last line.. because that POS was actually published, and a few suckers actually paid real money dollars for it.... :p

I only played X3 for a couple of hours before deciding that it was way more complex than I had time for, but in that couple hours I had no trouble destroying several enemy ships. From what I was able to tell and from what I have heard other people say, X3's problems have more to do with being staggeringly large and complicated and grindy while being almost totally without tutorials or documentation than they do with actual gameplay.

blah blah blah... moral superiority... blah blah

Oh please. Moral superiority doesn't enter into it. I'm just saying that QA for almost any other type of software would not generate a single interesting story. Granted, that probably has more to do with what sounds like universally shitty working conditions and wages across the video game industry.

And I suppose that makes for a good story, in a "haha wow, I'd rather work at Pizza Hut for that kind of money" sort of way.

erc wrote:
    blah blah blah... moral superiority... blah blah

Oh please. Moral superiority doesn't enter into it. I'm just saying that QA for almost any other type of software would not generate a single interesting story.

Fortunately, nobody is trying to do a webcomic about QA for other types of software.

So what exactly is your point?

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The fact that there is not a place that posts stories about people who do QA for tax software is not a demonstration of the moral superiority of people who do QA for tax software.
    Gaslight wrote:
    Fortunately, nobody is trying to do a webcomic about QA for other types of software.

So what exactly is your point?

Just sayin'...

Also, seemingly, the stories are pretty much the same, I would guess. Just sub out the context-specific phrases.

LTM on
    Forgive me, I just don't see the purpose in one acting pouty about game QA testers telling interesting stories about their jobs when one acknowledges there are no interesting stories to tell about one's own job. Is this some sort of, "At least you people whining is entertaining, my job is just as terrible and also boring to talk about" thing? That's too bad for you, but being entertaining is sort of the goal here.

• rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular
    I agree that the fourth panel would have been better without text.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The fourth panel text, or at least what it's conveying, does need to be in there somewhere. Maybe just squeeze it in the third panel, but the best thing to do would probably be rewriting the third panel completely to be more concise.

• Zazu YenZazu Yen Senior Developer San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A story need not be amusing in itself in order to be told in an amusing way. For example I read a story about race wars, riots, murder, the people who were trying to end the years of bloodshed and the secrete factions on both sides who held the grudges dearly and would even kill their own kind and obscure the truth rather than see peace. That book was Thud by Terry Pratchett, and you will laugh reading it.

If the story is dull it is not necessarily the stories fault.

Zazu Yen on
    ExistentialExistenceException: Your thread encountered a NULL pointer and entered a state of non-being.
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    erc wrote:

We also earn a whole lot less.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    I only played X3 for a couple of hours before deciding that it was way more complex than I had time for, but in that couple hours I had no trouble destroying several enemy ships. From what I was able to tell and from what I have heard other people say, X3's problems have more to do with being staggeringly large and complicated and grindy while being almost totally without tutorials or documentation than they do with actual gameplay.

I'm mostly in the same boat. I started playing X3 and aborted almost immediately when I found that not only did I not know what to do, I couldn't find out how to do it without looking up instructions on the internet.

I promptly uninstalled and never looked back.

sadly I actually love space sims, this one was just simply crap.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Also, a day late, but X3 is pretty awesome if you don't mind looking everything up yourself, and spending whole evening doing nothing but complex construction and aimless wandering.

Also, letting the game play itself when you are away. Its like SETI@Home, only you actually find alien races.

edited November 2011
    Gaslight wrote:
    Forgive me, I just don't see the purpose in one acting pouty about game QA testers telling interesting stories about their jobs when one acknowledges there are no interesting stories to tell about one's own job. Is this some sort of, "At least you people whining is entertaining, my job is just as terrible and also boring to talk about" thing? That's too bad for you, but being entertaining is sort of the goal here.

I was just making an observation. QA / QA Engineers in the gaming industry seem to hate their jobs a lot. More than people in similar roles in other software industries, even though those roles are similarly boring and tedious.

erc on
  • jdhdpjdhdp Registered User new member
    I know a person whose real name is Brandon Cox. Just a random thought that I had.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Fearghaill wrote:

I went to this thread to post the exact same thing. I think it's because he's the only guy I can think of that could plausibly make a space sim game where it is impossible to shoot anything down. No way to tell, though. Could have been an unknown trying to make it like a bad version of a Jane's game in space.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I also thought he was talking about X3 at first, and I actually like X3. There's a thread about it 'round here somewhere.

Anyway.

I'd like to know what it was that was being tested. B3000 is a tempting candidate, but wasn't it released as Universal Combat, or some such?