As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Making burned CD covers that don't look like shit

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, as the title suggests, I'm going to be burning some mp3s onto a solid disk. It's going to be a gift, so I don't want to just send a disk in a clear jewel case with the track list on a folded piece of paper. Surely I'm not the first person on the planet to have this dilemma, so could someone point me to a good program that will help me print out a passable-looking cover? I can get the image for the front no problem, I'm just looking for a way to marry it with a decent track list on the back. Keep in mind my art skills would almost put me at the head of your average preschool class.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Make a playlist in iTunes. Go to -> File -> Print.

You'll get a bunch of different options. Voila.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    If you just need to lay some text over an image, Gimp will work okay. Find a cd cover template and go for it. I dont think there's a program that will really spit out the format for you.

Honestly most CD covers look like crap because they were printed on office paper with a shitty desktop inkject. If you want it to pass, I would take it somewhere and get it printed on something you can still fold, but will look nicer.

Edit: huh never knew itunes did that. It will still look like crap if you print it on crappy paper though.

Iruka on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never knew iTunes did that either. I'll probably go that cheap route, since this is just part of a larger gift box. (Shhh, don't tell my secret santee!) Thanks, I think this covers it for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Yeah, I never knew iTunes did that either. I'll probably go that cheap route, since this is just part of a larger gift box. (Shhh, don't tell my secret santee!) Thanks, I think this covers it for me.

Yeah, they actually look pretty decent. Maybe grab a sheet or two of nicer paper if your printer will handle it.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    If your printer will handle it, get some decent card-stock so you aren't using some flimsy piece of paper. Better yet, you get the Avery CD Cover set if you really want to give it a go.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular

Decius wrote:
    If your printer will handle it, get some decent card-stock so you aren't using some flimsy piece of paper. Better yet, you get the Avery CD Cover set if you really want to give it a go.

Or take it to Kinkos or Staples and get it on glossy card stock!

EyQGd.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My printer came with a little tray you can load printable CD/DVDs into, and it works fantastically.