As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halkun is in Jolly 'Ol England! [UPDATE pg 4, Following Jack the Ripper.]

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    go to london's south end at 4 in the morning wearing very expensive clothing and ask for directions to the nearest bank

Literally nothing untoward will happen.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Edinburgh certainly is beautiful.

York's another great, small city that has a unique and interesting layout.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Edinburgh certainly is beautiful.

York's another great, small city that has a unique and interesting layout.

Plus, an excellent Viking museum.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    To be fair the UK is small enough that in 7 days if you are willing to travel you could go from London to Edinburgh stopping off at most places mentioned here comfortably.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Edinburgh has proved an excellent location for many, many ventures and I know American PAers have gone there in the past and been impressed. Castles and museums, great architecture, lots of stuff to see and do

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Yes! As I recall they even try and replicate a few of the smells of the Viking period!

Also York Minster, which is really fun to climb to the top of (as long as you're not too tall/wide, because the passage gets reaaaaaally narrow towards the top).

gazamc wrote:
    To be fair the UK is small enough that in 7 days if you are willing to travel you could go from London to Edinburgh stopping off at most places mentioned here comfortably.

Yes.
    Edcrab wrote:
    Edinburgh has proved an excellent location for many, many ventures and I know American PAers have gone there in the past and been impressed. Castles and museums, great architecture, lots of stuff to see and do

Also yes.

The great thing about the UK is that many of the cities are compact enough that you can very comfortably walk around them and see the majority of the sights.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Go to Bovington, see the tanks in the museum

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Pro-tip: Don't call it Edinburg.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    if I ever go to europe it will only be to drink with @faq

all you other foreigners can suck it

7656367.jpg
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's pronounced Edin-bureau-shire

7qmGNt5.png
    or join in I guess

7656367.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I hear Sheffield is the place to go

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I will say that York is good for a nice city with history and lots of interesting things to see, but is up north. Go to the cathedral and on the tour - its fascinating.

JoeUser wrote:

It was good for the Meet-Up as it was in the middle of everyone, but other than that it is a bit thin on the ground for actual tourist stuff. Sheffield is the kind of place where you realise how great it is by living there, but not by passing by.

Basically @Halkun it's really what you're interested in

I mean, for Roman or Georgian architecture you'd go to Bath, for the Vikings/Tudor periods you'd probably want York, for mediaeval/Reformation you'd want Edinburgh, etc. For rugged countryside I'd look to anywhere north of the Peak District (especially Scotland), for gentle rolling hills and a lot of WW2 coastal history (and smugglers) the south is pretty amazing.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    gazamc wrote:
    Dont go to England. Go to Scotland. Specifically Glasgow. Stay for a few days. Maybe 3 days (small city that is beautiful and quirky) take a trip (train or bus) to somewhere like Inverness (lovely viilage, also within spitting distance of Loch ness) maybe stay there for a night, perhaps 2. Then back to Glasgow for the last couple of days.

Thats what I would do. Heck I would do that now.

Fixed that right up for you.

:^:

Liiya wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

It was good for the Meet-Up as it was in the middle of everyone, but other than that it is a bit thin on the ground for actual tourist stuff. Sheffield is the kind of place where you realise how great it is by living there, but not by passing by.

Yessss

The draws of Sheffield are things like cheap rent, amazing nightclubs, cheap drinks, good cinemas, and easy access to the rest of the north. It's student/young person heaven.

Once again, Janson is correct! :D

Janson wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

Yessss

The draws of Sheffield are things like cheap rent, amazing nightclubs, cheap drinks, good cinemas, and easy access to the rest of the north. It's student/young person heaven.

The spoon museum was pretty neat!

...what?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    It was very educational!!

I actually did like Sheffield's museums/art galleries, but they are tiny compared to ones elsewhere in the country.

Also, lots of plants. And then tea. Lots of tea.

It was a good weekend!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Janson wrote:
    I actually did like Sheffield's museums/art galleries, but they are tiny compared to ones elsewhere in the country.

Well, I'm Cumbrian. I probably have a somewhat skewed viewpoint of size; excepting Tullie House, which is pretty hefty. But it's basically the only one we've got

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Can't go wrong with plants and lots of tea.
    Edcrab wrote:
    Well, I'm Cumbrian. I probably have a somewhat skewed viewpoint of size; excepting Tullie House, which is pretty hefty. But it's basically the only one we've got

True, Cumbria's for the countryside and sausages. And Kendal mint cake.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If I ever get the chance to visit England, I am going to go to great lengths to make sure I get to go to a taping of Antiques Roadshow.

I actually really want to visit hammer studios one day, so that will be goal one if I go to England

7656367.jpg
    BTW @ Halkun, Douglas Adams's ashes are contained in Highgate Cemetery, here is a link to its opening times.

It's in North London, so you'll either want to spend a night in London or get a flight that lands early morning and then spend the first day there.

Janson wrote:
    True, Cumbria's for the countryside and sausages. And Kendal mint cake.

And the football hooligans, don't forget us!

I mean them. Them.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    facetious wrote:
    Janson I am so jealous of you.

I too want to visit every part of the UK individually.
    Haha, it was mainly because vacationing abroad was too expensive for my parents! My dad likes to take a lot of holidays, but what with six children didn't exactly have the resources to pay for plane tickets or hotels. So he chose the sensible option of loading us all up in the car 2 or 3 times a year, driving us out to a rented cottage/farm, and exploring the surrounding countryside.

And my grandparents would make a gift of National Trust/English Heritage family season tickets, so we've seen plenty of the tourist attractions, too!

I'm also jealous that none of this was an option for me! I've always wished, for as long as I can remember pretty much, that I'd been born British.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Well, hopefully you can visit someday! (Presuming you haven't already!)

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I recommend Sheffield if you are looking for a permanent souvenir that doesn't cost you anything
    Meaning Liiya likes stabbing people. With Sheffield made steel spoons.

To be fair, we asked for it when we badmouthed those flowers.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    halkun wrote:
    Also, technically it's not vacation, it's "Personal Time Off" (PTO) so I'm not exactly going to get paid while I'm gone either.

What? PTO is "Paid Time Off". It's time off that you get paid for.

Time off from work that you don't get paid for isn't a benefit. That's just not showing up to work.

Correction... It not showing up for work, and not getting fired for it :)

Junpei wrote:
    I recommend Sheffield if you are looking for a permanent souvenir that doesn't cost you anything
    Meaning Liiya likes stabbing people. With Sheffield made steel spoons.

Humph!

Liiya no! Put down that Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd. WG/JL engraved spoon!

You'll get blood on it!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    You know, this is just making me imagine Liiya looks like this

blueraja.jpg

only with spoons. And secateurs.

7qmGNt5.png
    edited November 2011
    So yeah, moral of the story is that you'll find more museums in bigger cities! Leeds has the Royal Armories, which is cool.

edit: That is exactly what I look like.

Liiya on
    Right down to the turban!

I hope Halkun's writing a longer, more informative post after all the assistance we've tried to give!

Ohh, forgotten about the armories. They sometimes have event days with things like trebuchets and ballistas

Which is just awesome, I can tell you all

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png