As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    It's fun, but the camera is pretty annoying.

Also it's not really an RPG, it's an action game with loot collecting as a central mechanic.

Don't expect it to be like Dungeon Siege I/II.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    It's more of an rpg than dungeon siege 1 probs

obF2Wuw.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    spamfilter wrote:
    So question, do any of you actually play this co-op?

I was psyched about this game until I heard about the gimped co-op feature where your can't gain any exp/items for co-op play. So I passed on it. Now I am considering picking up cheap.

I did. 2 Player Local Co-op is a great experience (IMO). Sadly Multiplayer isn't, since its pretty much just a copy pasted local experience including shared screen. (Better MP Features fell out of the projects scoop during development. )

Also, how cheap are you talking about? If you can, pick up the DLC too. It adds a lot to a pretty short game.

edited November 2011
    By the way if anyone wonders why the DLC seems to have a lot of content compared to the main game. DSIII seems to have had a pretty focused development. Square basically wanted DSIII be a "base" for future DS titles. Thats why there is so much Lore in the game and the only "bare bones" features. A possible DSIV would have a lot more content and more time/money spent on other kinks like camera.

Also I love the "Quick Pick Up" Button in the new Patch.

C2B on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Yeah I got the impression they went into DS3 in a kind of "WE'VE GOT 18 MONTHS LETS NAIL THIS SHIT BROS NO OVERRUNS" kind of way

which is why it's just not really comparable to the featureset that d3 will ship with, for example

obF2Wuw.png
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote:
    So question, do any of you actually play this co-op?

I was psyched about this game until I heard about the gimped co-op feature where your can't gain any exp/items for co-op play. So I passed on it. Now I am considering picking up cheap.

Its a great couch co-op title and a mediocre or terrible online co-op title. If you're playing in the same room its a really solid action RPG for two players, but the online functionality is pretty terrible.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited November 2011
    For anyone who wants to get DSIII for PC it may not be a bad Idea to subscribe to David Hoffmans twitter for the occasional steam code giveaway.

http://twitter.com/#!/Thehoff0

C2B on
    Speaking of DSIII giveaways here is another on Facebook by PDXLAN

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=239846029402007&id=239509156102361

edited November 2011
    Dungeon Siege III sold 820'000 copies till 30th september. Sales expectations were a million (though I have no idea in what timeframe) so I guess it did/does ok/well enough.

C2B on
    A few bits about DSIII and Obsidians releationship with Square from Ex-Obsidian guy Anthony Davis (left for Texas to start a family. Works now at Timegate (Kohan Strategy Games, Section 8) on Aliens: Colonial Marines)
    On a side note, I wish we could have released George Ziet's source book he wrote for the World of Ehb. It was an amazing read.
    I know how much was spent developing the game, I don't know how much was spent marketing the game, and I know that the gross income is about 35$ x 820,000. More for PC versions. Plus it will continue to sell for quite some time.

That said, I would call DS3 a large success by every measurement.

As for Square, I remember that when they came to visit us, Feargus and the owners were giving some Japanese executives a tour of the offices. Outside my office at the time I had a Chrono Trigger poster on the glass facing outwards. The Japanese executives spotted it and thought it was super awesome. I knew right there we were going to have a good relationship with them - and we did.

Obviously this is my point of view from a middle of the stack so to speak. Those at the very top have a very different perspective from those of us in the middle.

edited November 2011
    Treasures of the Sun Reviews

GameDynamo 89%
    We got this covered 4/5
    Destructoid 7.5/10
    Saving Content 80%
    Plattformnation 7/10
    Superiorrealities 6.9/10
    Worthplaying 8.5/10
    ZTGD 7.6/10

Average = 78%

Co-optimus, PS3attidude and Handheldheroes also reviewed scoreless.

ClassicGameRoom has a video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZ-Xe93LrU&feature=youtu.be

C2B on
    edited November 2011
    Oh, nearly forgot. Worthplaying is giving away codes for the Treasures of the Sun DLC (for all platforms) today on their twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/worthplaying

C2B on
    the dlc is gud

obF2Wuw.png
    PSN code has been given away on the twitter. XBOX360 and PC are next in ca. 18 Min.

http://twitter.com/#!/worthplaying

Steam has a daily offer for DSIII of 60%. This means that the whole Dungeon Siege Collection is only $24.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I played the first part with Katarina. I wasn't blown away. Her rifle shoots really slowly and her pistol/shotgun does piddly damage, it felt like. Might go back and try Reinhardt, not sure.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I picked it up earlier. Playing Reinhardt on hard difficulty. Makes you really master using that dodge button. Now that I got a little higher level (With some help from @Chocobolicious), I find I can really take out groups of enemies. Still only like an hour or two into the game, but i'm enjoying it especially for the $5 price point.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    I bought this Jayne Kassynder game, and wanted to play this Jayne Kassynder game because it seemed like a cool Jayne Kassynder co-op.

I can't even watch the Jayne Kassynder DLC trailer because my wife is behind me constantly making Jayne Kassynder raspberry sounds at it. I tried to get her to play Jayne Kassynder Siege several nights but we couldn't get past the stilted, Jayne Kassynder dialogue. Plus she wanted to be a fire elemental all the time and never a chick with a spear.

In summary, Jayne Kassynder.

I'm glad it sold well though, maybe they will have something better out after I get out of the Skyrim - > Kingdoms of Amalaur-> D3 Tunnel of Glee and need something to fill my years from age 60-70.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Man, the battle at the Spire with Jeyne has pretty much killed all the good feeling I had for this game. Hell it's gone some way to putting a dent in my general good feeling towards Obsidian, such is my disdain for this boss fight.
    It's a shame because up until this, and to a lesser extent the Warbeast battle, I was really enjoying the game.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Dyvim Tvar wrote:
    Man, the battle at the Spire with Jeyne has pretty much killed all the good feeling I had for this game. Hell it's gone some way to putting a dent in my general good feeling towards Obsidian, such is my disdain for this boss fight.
    It's a shame because up until this, and to a lesser extent the Warbeast battle, I was really enjoying the game.

Normally, one of my complaints with Obsidian games is that they are too easy. That battle was the polar opposite. Even on casual I got my ass kicked a few times.

Dungeon Siege III made third in ClassicGameRooms Top 10 of 2011 list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0NBKbCAe24

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Man, the spire fight made me take the game off solo, as I was on hard or nightmare or inferno or whatever the difficulty was where everything killed you in one hit. The people that kept joining were... not in the best of moods, as I didn't have any of my other characters specced or equipped with anything, but finally a group joined that was more than happy pulling aggro and letting me do most of the damage. The best part? They stuck around for the rest of the game, allowing me to net a bunch of achievements and go home happy. We truly were comrades of the highest order, and obliterating the final boss was nothing short of killing something that would have otherwise been really, really difficult, but as it was, was just kind if hard, I guess.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Steamworks?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    Steamworks?

yes

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well worth it, IMO.
    Even though multiplayer over the Internet appears to be dead.

The Lead Designer of Dungeon Siege III, Nathaniel Chapman, has switched jobs to Blizzard as a Game Designer. (Maybe even working on the console version of Diablo 3?)

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Picked this up for $5 over the holidays and just finally got around to playing it a little this weekend. My quick review is, it's a little simplistic but pretty damn good. I am enjoying myself quite a lot.

• TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    I didn't like the fact i had to get my controller out too play this on pc (mainly because i forgot where i put it) keyboard controls were wierd, glad i never paid full price for it but worth a play all the same.

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I just finished up the Heroes Crypt, that was a damn fine dungeon with a fun boss fight. The art is pretty damn impressive with all the settings maxed out on PC.

edited March 2012
    From Robert Clemente's (Animator on DSIII) Blog
    2011 DS3 Anim Reel

Here is my latest demo reel i put together with captures of the work I did for Dungeon Siege 3. This work helped me get my foot in the door at Sony Santa Monica Studio. Thanks to all my friends and former colleagues and employers at Obsidian Entertainment for the experience of a lifetime. You are all some of the coolest and most talented individuals in the industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02uOv8O2TIg&list=UUjwTD3q7BZG78IREE_SoHag&index=1&feature=plcp

This reminded me that my favourite animations in DSIII were the slugs in the swamp. Especially because they gave me Secret of Evermore flashbacks. On the whole though I personally found the animation work uneven. (Especially compared to the excellent art direction) There was nuff' discussed about the dialog sequences for example. Then again, keeping a tight budget was probably also responsible.

Still, Obsidian's overall best animated project so far (as in every other technical category), so kudos to everyone invloved.

C2B on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I started playing this again after buying it at release and only playing for 3 hours. :P
    Do I need to wait until I get to the DLC stuff before I can respec? I kinda fucked up my talents.

Rizzi wrote: »
    I started playing this again after buying it at release and only playing for 3 hours. :P
    Do I need to wait until I get to the DLC stuff before I can respec? I kinda fucked up my talents.

Yeah, you can respec in the DLC area. You can go there immediatly as soon as you reach Stonebridge and do the Chapterhouse.

edited March 2012
    holy fucking shit

c2b youve seen this right
    DuwUM.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Is it wrong I laughed when I saw the MetaCritic score?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I mean, how shitty of a thing is that to see. One fucking percent.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »

Yeah, you can respec in the DLC area. You can go there immediatly as soon as you reach Stonebridge and do the Chapterhouse.

I have not done this yet. :P
    Forgot how pretty this game is. It looks so good on pc.

edited March 2012
    holy fucking shit

DuwUM.png

Yes. Contracts in the game industry are incredible retarded (looking at it from an outsiders perspective) and its baffeling that its even legal or that (normal) devs don't have any leverage in such negotiations. It's an arbitary number that is fully in the hands of metacritic. They might as well ignore some scores or add ones from really obscure sites. Not to mention they are translating 4/5 to 80%

I'm pretty sure this has actually been the case for all of Obsidian's contracts. Sawyer once said, the only time a project he worked on got royalities was on Icewind Dale.

C2B on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    holy fucking shit

DuwUM.png

Pretty sure he has, probably posted about it in the South Park thread.

Obsidian have had the worst experiences with publishers. Sure they've been pretty unrealistic and too ambitious with the projects they've picked up but I can't really fault them for that. I really wish they'd find a publisher that they can work well with, aren't assholes and doesn't expect way too much from them. At this point Square Enix seem like they're the only ones that've treated them decently (maybe Atari as well), so hopefully they'll work with them a bit more.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid