As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Style] Hairstyles, Facial Hair, and the Theory of Rugged Manliness

Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, reading all the Movember stuff got me curious. What's the consensus on Shaved Head + Facial Hair? I don't want to look like a neo-nazi, but my two hairstyle choices are limited to...

1: Shaved Head
2: Generic Male Pattern Baldness Style #268

...if I want to look somewhat normal. Still, I suppose the "Skullwrap" could be done if I were feeling daring. I don't have any pictures, so I'll give a short description. I'm 28 yrs. old 5'9, with a stocky, heavy-boned build (Wide shoulders, thick, muscley neck, etc). Not terribly overweight, but I do have a little pot belly. My head isn't too big or small, but I think shaving it makes it look bigger than it is. Oval-shaped face. (The best for facial hair, I hear. Not too square or round or long). Unfortunately my neutral expression isn't all that friendly or warm. It's rather... grim looking, in fact. So I think I give off a creepy vibe...

But I'm just a big man-child, really. A bald teddy bear. I'm even good with kids!

So what facial hair styles do you guys think goes with a shaved head? If I'm gonna look intimidating and scary, I might as well not do it half-assed. Maybe go for something more "Machiavellian" than brutish. I prefer a more intelligent look despite my manly physique. ;)

((You can get a hint of my facial figures by the expressionistic pic I editted of myself a while back in my sig that leads to my Steam page. Feel free to ask your own questions about [style] ))

Gigazombie Cybermage on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shaved Head + Facial Hair?
    look like a neo-nazi
    Wide shoulders, thick, muscley neck
    I think I give off a creepy vibe
    I'm even good with kids!

o_o

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Lots of dudes wear beards with shaved heads. If you don't like the full beard look, some combination of goatee/soul patch looks fine (the jeff bridges in iron man look, basically.)

If you go with the short-buzz-male-baldness look you can even just wear stubble (trim the neck/cheeks depending on how your facial hair grows) and look fine.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2011
    Yes, yes... that's unfortunate Organichu. XD

I meant, I give off a creepy vibe with people that don't know me. My little cousins are always happy to see me though, even if they tire me out hella quick with me throwing them in the air and catching them, and playing "Run away from the zombie!" with them.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Seriously, the only reason I have a goatee is lazyness. I can get out of the shower and shave my cheeks and neck without foam or gel, but I can't do that with my upper lip or chin. So, that part just gets trimmed with the trimmer and tada! Goatee.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I actually don't use shaving cream or aftershave when I shave my face and head. You get used to it, actually.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I actually don't use shaving cream or aftershave when I shave my face and head. You get used to it, actually.
    I don't either, however I shave in the shower.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Can you manage this look?
    blade10.jpg

Nope, beard doesn't grow that thick on my cheeks. Goes along my jawline, the goatee region. I think I look pretty good with stubble though, might go with that.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dude, facial hair is the best. What can you get away with at your job? You might also be surprised at how your hair grows if you leave it alone for two months. Some areas will grow much quicker than others. You don't just stumble into the perfect facial hair. I had to commit, long term, to crafting this.
    312025_10100608050808152_5100346_59215663_2069947028_n.jpg

Skoal Cat on
    Dude, that mustache is magnificent. Went with the "Salvador Dali" eh?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Shaved Head + Facial Hair?
    look like a neo-nazi
    Wide shoulders, thick, muscley neck
    I think I give off a creepy vibe
    I'm even good with kids!

o_o

Thank you for doing the legwork there so I don't have to

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I'm rolling my eyes SO HARD right now.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    There are few socially desirable facial hair styles. They are all goatee or goatee relatives. Most important is to keep it neat.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Bald head and goatee make people look like a BAMF.

Example:

Sisko.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that facial hair looks terrible on the majority of people.

Go for Dara O'Briain's look: balding but the hair is shaved really quite short.

Also no facial hair. I think Dara O'Briain also somewhat fits your description of yourself.

• TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    Im bald and have a full manly beard. I'm really enjoying it. I dont keep it neat either, I let it grow wild. Neckbeard and all. It might become and issue with work, but I will keep growing it wild until someone brings it up. I think I look intimidating and people will give me strange looks now. Anyways, I recommend letting it all grow out for a bit, then decide on a style.

I have gotten alot of comments from friends about how they didn't like it at first, but now they think its awesome and fits me. So stick with it for some time to get a good feel for the style.

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Taterskin wrote:
    Im bald and have a full manly beard. I'm really enjoying it. I dont keep it neat either, I let it grow wild. Neckbeard and all. It might become and issue with work, but I will keep growing it wild until someone brings it up. I think I look intimidating and people will give me strange looks now. Anyways, I recommend letting it all grow out for a bit, then decide on a style.
    This? Yeah don't do this if you work in a professional setting, are looking for a job or are looking to have sex with a woman (I can't speak as to whether this look would be attractive to gay guys).

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    That's why Seattle is great: no one gives a fig if you have a full manly beard. My wife likes mine and I sex her up. it's win win win.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hey now. Full manly beard may take you off some women's radar, but at the same time it's gonna shoot you right to the top for some other ladies.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    I bet the former group is substantially larger than the latter.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I can't grow proper beards or mustaches so I just shave everything but the eyebrows.

If I could, I'd rock the Cpt.Sisko look.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Can you manage this look?
    blade10.jpg

I wish I could pull that off. I'd rock it every year for movember.

• EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    balding 28 year old who shaves head (although not to the skin) and has a full beard checking in. I approve, OP.

Don't listen to the haters. And also, if some hypothetical woman judges me based on my facial hair? Yeah, she can fuck right off anyways.

steam_sig.png
    It's not easy going to college. All the girls are either ten years too young, or ten years too old. Or they have odd religious views. One girl I know is really cute, smart funny, and is even a democrat. But she has omgstrict religious views and some odd race ideas, though not to the point of bigotry. The way she talks about her family gives me an idea about why she's like that. It's just... really, really unfortunate that she's abstinent.

So I'm not going to be impressing girls anyways XD. I haven't had as much as a second glance in the 3 semesters I've been here.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    It's not easy going to college. All the girls are either ten years too young, or ten years too old. Or they have odd religious views. One girl I know is really cute, smart funny, and is even a democrat. But she has omgstrict religious views and some odd race ideas, though not to the point of bigotry. The way she talks about her family gives me an idea about why she's like that. It's just... really, really unfortunate that she's abstinent.

So I'm not going to be impressing girls anyways XD. I haven't had as much as a second glance in the 3 semesters I've been here.

According to my roommate, all the cute girls going to my school are shomer negiah.
    Eupfhoria, I don't suppose you look like this:
    iron-man-site-obadiah-stane.jpg

So what does everyone recommend for bad skin? I get acne and dry, flakey skin. I've gotten some scarring too.

• Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    Max Payne is getting down with the beard+bald look, so what else do you need?

Other than pistols and slomo?

mrheist-wide.png
  • EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    yes I know exactly what you mean about the college and meeting girls situation. Although I did meet a pretty cool girl this summer at an archaeology field course, and she even seemed to be into the balding/beard thing. Unfortunately it didn't really work out though.

@Bagginses: no not exactly

steam_sig.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Big dude who is going bald (At 22 WTF life, WTF?) and will greatly mourn his previously magnificent mane of hair. But can still feel proud of his mighty beard. Which is gettin' pretty scruffy now... helpful in cold weather, though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    As a guy who had his heritage catch up around 25 I get my hair buzzed down to a .5, just the extended guard on the clippers. This lasts me about about a week before it feels longish.

I would recommend going clean shaven, or rocking the stubble. Shaven head and a days stubble looks damn good.

From the way you described your build I think you're fine. Broad shoulders/toned physique fits it well, plenty of girls are into the Bruce Willis look and it helps you stand out.

This discussion has been closed.