As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halkun is in Jolly 'Ol England! [UPDATE pg 4, Following Jack the Ripper.]

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    If we don't get an in depth photo journal and a What-I-Did-On-My-Holidays report I'm going to be bitterly disappointed.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Anyone who ever drifts near the south of England, I have a soft spot for Arundel Castle.

It's just like what I always imagined castles should be. And on top of a hill, too.

Also, it's still lived in! When the family's not there you can tour their bedrooms and living room, which is pretty cool.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I'm at work tpying from my droid. (Against policy) ill add something when I get home.

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    The cutlery museum was worth the trip to Sheffield alone. Nowhere else will I see bigger spoons.

XStly.jpg
    halkun wrote:
    I'm at work tpying from my droid. (Against policy) ill add something when I get home.

Okay, cool!

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    The cutlery museum was worth the trip to Sheffield alone. Nowhere else will I see bigger spoons.

The spoon timeline was a thing of beauty.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    If I ever manage to get some of you to visit the Netherlands it'll be such a hollow disappointment, for we have no wondrous cutlery to show off.

XStly.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I once saw some pretty big paintbrushes in amsterdam.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    I once saw some pretty big paintbrushes in amsterdam.

Pretty sure those were people with spiky hair, and you were high.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    look the point is I made some amazing art and those cops can fuck right off.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:

I would never dream of calling your art anything but amazing. 8->

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Liiya wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:
    I hear Sheffield is the place to go

It was good for the Meet-Up as it was in the middle of everyone, but other than that it is a bit thin on the ground for actual tourist stuff. Sheffield is the kind of place where you realise how great it is by living there, but not by passing by.

Basically. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, to be honest, but it's not much of a tourist destination
    Edcrab wrote:
    Also, lots of plants. And then tea. Lots of tea.

It was a good weekend!

Indeed it was.

Solar on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:

"Officer, don't complain. You stood still long enough for me to draw all over you"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I'll be visiting London this winter to go see this

uc3ufTB.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    go to Portmeirion

edited November 2011
    Pulling out a map of England, maybe I can chill in London for a day or two, and then shoot NW toward Birmingham. I can travel, but I need to know how is the Train infrastructure? Can a yank rent a car?

Ohh, I just came up with an idea... What kind of old tyme science stuff can I do there? Isn't Newton from around those parts?

halkun on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    Pulling out a map of England, maybe I can chill in London for a day or two, and then shoot NW toward Birmingham. I can travel, but I need to know how is the Train infrastructure? Can a yank rent a car?

Ohh, I just came up with an idea... What kind of old tyme science stuff can I do there? Isn't Newton from around those parts?

Train service? In England? Should be pretty good.

Rent a car? Can you drive a manual gearbox, on the correct side of the road?

Newton? Don't forget Sir Joseph Swan.

You'll be fine getting trains between London and Birmingham.

As Chrishallett83 says, you'll have no problems renting a car provided you can a) drive a manual and b) are confident driving on the left side of the road. If you can't drive a manual, there's usually automatics available, but most people will be driving manuals.

BUT parking and navigating in either city is going to be a real bitch. If you're mainly sticking to just London and Birmingham you'll probably want to take the train just to avoid that.

Isaac Newton is mainly associated with Cambridge and Winchester.

Also since Gazamc/Edcrab threw in their votes, starting at London and travelling to Edinburgh, stopping at York (and maybe Nottingham) along the way sounds pretty great to me.

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Also if you are looking for that kind of Englishy feel, try to drop in either a beer/cider festival (cider preferably since it's generally a better atmosphere) or a market day, the more rural you gets the better these two become.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Halkun, I just want to pop in and say that I consistently get confused for you at forumer meetups.

At PAX a few months ago, a guy was impressed that I worked for a game company (that's me) and also at my running commentary during the whole Sony legal thing (not me?) and I accepted both compliments, but it took me like 20 minutes to figure out he was talking about you

That's just the latest in a string of Houk/Halkun mixups. So what I'm saying is, knock it off.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    houk, you and halkun clearly just need to fight to the death

7656367.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    if I ever go to europe it will only be to drink with @faq

all you other foreigners can suck it

that's the best reason to go anywhere

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Just came back from Budapest and it's amazing and if you had more time I would say go there Halkun but England is cool too I guess

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Nobody's mentioned the Eden Project yet. BOOOOOOO.

I mean, sure it's buried way down in Cornwall and probably a nightmare to get to if you're using public transport/not used to Cornwall's roads, but.. okay fine, but it's really cool.
    edit: I would also say "visit Oxford, we've got all the history!" but we've also got all the tourists.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Lake District is a great way to spend a few days, but it can be a pain to get to without your own transport. There's nothing better than spending a day where you wander around a national park before retiring to your hotel for a 3 hour afternoon tea to catch up on calories burned off.

There's also the Lakes Aquarium which is a bit small but has a couple of otters! You can watch them sleep and feed and play.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited November 2011
    Oh, I can't drive stick, so driving is out I guess. (And at risk for making this into a manual/automatic debate, I have no intention of learning. I find an automatic transmission a form of technological advancement, and when cars can drive themselves, I'll be even more happy.)
    Houk wrote:
    Halkun, I just want to pop in and say that I consistently get confused for you at forumer meetups.

At PAX a few months ago, a guy was impressed that I worked for a game company (that's me) and also at my running commentary during the whole Sony legal thing (not me?) and I accepted both compliments, but it took me like 20 minutes to figure out he was talking about you

That's just the latest in a string of Houk/Halkun mixups. So what I'm saying is, knock it off.

Yea, the Sony thing is me. Kinda my fault as I never really settled on an avatar theme until recently. Also, I never go to meetups. I'm pretty sure when I start to, people are going to start going "Wow, that was halkun!"

halkun on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    Oh, I can't drive stick, so driving is out I guess. (And at risk for making this into a manual/automatic debate, I have no intention of learning. I find an automatic transmission a form of technological advancement, and when cars can drive themselves, I'll be even more happy.)
    Houk wrote:

Yea, the Sony thing is me. Kinda my fault as I never really settled on an avatar theme until recently. Also, I never go to meetups. I'm pretty sure when I start to, people are going to start going "Wow, that was halkun.."

".. so who was that awesome guy we were talking to last year?"

Lesson 1: we Brits love to take the piss. It is a thing we do all the time. Do not be alarmed or offended.

forumsig.png
    Budapest is fucking great

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote:

I prefer Prague

• either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    For what you're looking for I'd really recommend staying in or near Exeter in Devon. It's a small city and so has the access to everything you'd need and the ability to wander around at 2am if you'd like, but it is so close to so many beautiful places. You can be in Torbay or Dartmoor in half an hour, Dartmoor in particular is incredibly beautiful and steeped in myths and legends. Totnes is nearby which is a very small market town that looks half Tudor and half Victorian and has a surprising amount of culture (music, art and theatre), lots of small pubs and small tea rooms.

http://www.visitdevon.co.uk/

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
    FAQ wrote:

come to america already faq

7656367.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Visit my house! Dinner IS the show!

Oh brilliant
    JoeUser wrote:
    FAQ wrote:

I prefer Prague

Prague is great too, I've had a brilliant time in both spots and they are both lovely cities

FAQ wrote:

come to america already faq

give me 3 grand and some more holiday time and I'm there

quit your job and hop an immigration boat

7656367.jpg
    Hey guys! Remember this thread, well, I had to push my departure date back... so I'm leaving.... Tomorrow!

I'll be landing @ Heathrow at around 11:00am Sunday, from there, I have to make my way to Ilford.

I didn't mean to go during the Olympics, but it was the only opening they had at my work that allowed me 5 continuous days. I wanted to be *AWAY* from the non-British, but be mixed in with them. I'll be trying my best to duck out and be lonely American stuck in the outskirts of London.

My plan.. Well, still seeing Douglas Adam's grave in north London. I might also gallivant about in the Whitechapel district and see where Jack the Ripper killed those ladies at. I also would like to visit a pub, see the Science Museum. See the tomb of Newton, probably ditch the city and head north for a day to see some castley stuff.

I have a feeling I should be avoiding the city center like the plague!

Due to the influx of other American in the country I bought a Canadian flag for my backpack. I also have been practicing my "Aboot", "Hoouse", "Sooury" and "Zeds" (When I lived in Japan, I sometimes stelthed as a Canadian to be better received by the locals)

My phone will not work over because it's CDMA and not GSM. I'll still be able to get Wifi on it though. Bringing my tablet too with a lot of offline content. The hotel does has Wifi though so I won't get caught completely dry on data.

Any last minute advice?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Buy a Queen Elizabeth body pillow

What's that? Karen Gillan? Sure?

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    There's a museum for torture equipment, that was kind of fun