As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Literary Freebie Thread

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread was inspired by reading the Baen Free Library "manifesto" (here). Let's share the books and authors we've discovered through free books, and/or the places we found them at.

Right now I'm reading this. It got off to a shaky start, but is starting to look like a good read.

Remember, this is for legal freebies. That rule (in the rule thread) is there for a reason.

This is for similar sites, such as publisher sponsored sites, or sites that host public domain books, or sites of authors that put their books online for free.

Edit: Places that give free books out are ok too, but include a google maps link or an address.
Edit2: If you want your link in the OP, it might be a good idea to PM it to me once the thread starts to get big.

Brick and Mortar

Book Thing

Internet

Baen Free Library
John Dies At the End

MKR on

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a free book place in Baltimore I've been to a few times.

It's pretty awesome. There's thousands, maybe close to 100,000 books there, every one of them free, as donated by whoever.

edit: It's called Book Thing, and located here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=free+book&sll=39.32321,-76.608605&sspn=0.001046,0.001963&ie=UTF8&latlng=39324721,-76610907,14144746300878106016&ei=jlCBRtD-DIWArQK8oOS1Ag&cd=2

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There's a free book place in Baltimore I've been to a few times.

It's pretty awesome. There's thousands, maybe close to 100,000 books there, every one of them free, as donated by whoever.

I've updated the OP to include free book places like that. Can you include a google maps link or an address for people in the area?

MKR on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    I think John Dies At the End is sort of the poster child for this sort of thing.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think John Dies At the End is sort of the poster child for this sort of thing.

I like the way this book is going so far.

MKR on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Patchwork Girl, too.

edit: Nevermind, apparently it's not free anymore

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is this where I tell you to read Moby Dick?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Is this where I tell you to read Moby Dick?

Contemporary, less known stuff is preferred since stuff like Moby Dick can be found easily on google's book thing, and is already well known.

MKR on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I second this nomination and would just like to add for anyone who read it awhile ago that he has written a short sequel to it, and also the original finally found a publisher and will be in print soon.

Neaden on