As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Invincible redesign

ScadillaScadilla Hates shavingRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Artist's Corner
Wow. Haven't been here in years. I love the new layout.
Do you guys and gals visit Project Rooftop? They're having a redesign Invincible contest right now and I thought I would show what I have so far.
DBxTw.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Scadilla on

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Costume design is always really interesting to me because the smallest tweaks or adjustments can dramatically change the entire thing the costume is trying to convey. I haven't followed Invincible in a while, but this design looks pretty solid in and of itself. My only real question would be the chunky collar, which doesn't look bad but is also the only chunky part of his suit. The rest of it is very streamlined, in a Deus Ex kind of way, and with the strong colors, jumpsuit and especially the unique speckled boots, I'd almost hazard a beachgoer element to the look. But that's all pretty awesome, even like it is.

I would change the gloves though. They look like entirely too traditional, golden age superhero gloves for the hightech, streamlined look the rest of the design is offering. I think I can see why you chose to do it, with the yellow presence on each limb, the hood, and the chest symbol, and the material around the wrists is allowing you a break from the blue without complicating the design. I'd encourage you to look at your solution you came up with for the feet and try to come up with a similar answer for the hands.

• LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Bigger bulge.

The 'I' stands out much better than in older costumes, without being too overtly logo-ish.

I agree with Linespider5 about the gloves as well. I think even a direct translation of your boot solution into gloves could look cool.
    I'm imagining something almost gardening glove style.

Lyrical on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    The wrap-around sunglasses have kind of an 80s (or early 90s) vibe to them. I would either rethink them or just get rid of them.

The kneepads just give his knees a strange shape instead of feeling necessary/functional.

The gloves could use more of the dark blue, less of the yellow. Maybe just the palms are yellow or just the fingers?

I also agree about the thickness of the collar. It looks like it's the only thing that's thick/quilted.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    And while we're at it: cover his arms.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the sunglasses, collar and lack of sleeves make him look a bit like a member from an aerobics-themed gang in a late-eighties/early-nineties music video. Sleeves and a less poppy collar would make him look significantly less silly.

I'm not a fan of the light blue lines or piping or whatever because it makes him look more like an athlete than a superhero, too. Maybe if they were slightly thicker stripes. This look can definitely work, but it just doesn't make sense to me on a guy with his specific powerset. He's got the standard Superman stuff with strength, invulnerability, flight and speed. He's about overwhelming power, not skill and agility and training and grace. This design is more fitting for a superheroic freerunner or parkour guy, someone still bound by gravity. Invincible can just fly and he's strong no matter what he does, so this kind of sporty get-up just doesn't make much sense.

• ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ah, thanks guys. Good feedback. I have gotten comments about the gloves before. I honestly didn't consider the design on them too much. The gloves and knee pads along with some other design aesthetics are just some go-to defaults that I have when I'm designing. I will definitely give them an overhaul. I tried covering up his arms while coloring him, but the suit just looked claustrophobic considering I was going for a neoprene type look. I can probably modify the collar, but I kinda like it. It breaks up the spandexed silhouette. The piping was an after thought to help balance out the blue. It was too yellow heavy at the time. It sucks that I accidentally saved the PSD at less than half the original size as I added the logo, but oh wells.

2bVVW.jpg
    These were the color combos I was narrowing down from to help give you an idea of what I had to work with.

Scadilla on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    It looks like he's sticking his foot up his own butt.

That aside, I'm not a huge fan of the goggles/sunglasses. I DO like the boots, gloves, and the piping, as I think they're different enough from elements of the original design, but still look natural on the character.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the pose in general is rather odd for a superhero, although perfectly fine for a dance-off gangfight, broadway-style.

To be fair, the effectiveness of the pose is mitigated when it's repeated in a row like above.
    I'll agree it's not the best pose, but I certainly didn't find anything wrong with it in the original submission.

I modified the gloves using some of your guy's suggestions. I'm not really too keen on them. I think maybe a shorter glove would work, but that messes with the suit proportions that I originally had. It kinda looks like he's going to prom, lol.
    fB6bV.jpg

Dude, that looks GREAT!

I love the gloves, particularly because there could be a lot of dramatic things you can do with a glove designed like that. A closed fist shuts off the yellow and makes it more menacing, an open hand has the yellow glow in it, that kind of thing.

At this point it's really quite honestly better designed than a lot of superhero costumes that make it to print, so, whether you want to toggle it further or not, you've already won what you set out to do, in my humble opinion. There's always something else to try, but I think you're set.

What tools you use to do this?

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    IIRC Invicible could fly (this was years ago when I read the comic); so this pose isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. Just his left foot is awkwardish. I like that final design with the Tron-like blue tint. I would also agree that the goggles are a bit to 90's. I was about to suggest the "bug eyed" goggles, but a Google confirms that thats how he looks now?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Can you please try to stand or even pose yourself in a similar position with your hands/torso and tell me if it feels natural to you? If it doesn't, you may be able to see why someone like me finds the pose you chose as extremely awkward. Even if I could fly, I could never see myself posing like this for any reason ever.

I prefer your 'classic' design the best. The blue lines look too Tron-y to me.

Thanks, linespider. I scanned a loose pencil sketch of the pose and did the rest in photoshop. I would do it all in photoshop, but I find it a lot easier and more naturally to simply do a rough sketch in pencil first.

ED!, yes Invincible could fly. I had intended to give him a natural pose that he could happen upon midflight, but apparently it looks too awkward. As for goggles, yeah I just wanted to try something different. They're actually based on these modern shades.

Melting doll, I'll try to doctor the leg a bit to bring it down some.

edited November 2011
    The hands are awkward too, I mean. Put your arms out and twist your wrists inward while posing your hands into those positions and tell me that is something you'd randomly do if you could fly (;

melting_doll on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think the hands are fine, I could see the hands in that pose from a hovering perspective. I agree the leg is to far up, and aside from the goofiness of looking like his heel is up his ass, it causes some weird intersecting lines. It's a minor thing though, and easy to fix.

I have no actual gripe except for one petty one... INVINCIBLE does not have Jersey Shore guido hair. Get rid of that hair gel... : )

are YOU on the beer list?
    Ha! Again, I was just trying to deviate from the classic look. I was going for a faux hawk type look, but I don't think I quite pulled it off.
    mens-fauxhawk.jpg

I think the hands are fine, I could see the hands in that pose from a hovering perspective

Seeeriously? I don't mean to get so stuck on this, but hovering or not, that is not a natural pose! It hurts my wrists to do it for more than 5 seconds, why would the ability to fly miraculously make it easier?