As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 11/16/11: They're In Our Homes

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Graphic Violence
Batman #3, facts about owls, Alan Wayne wasn't so crazy, and so much dialogue and panels you might think you're reading a Kurt Busiek comic. Snyder is going for more intrigue and suspense than creepy now, and you can almost hear the musical score behind the book as you read it. I love this series.

batman2-3a.jpg

batman2-3b.jpg

batman2-3d.jpg

The Court of Owls took over the hidden thirteenth floor of every Alan Wayne foundation building, about 20 of them in the city.

Thunderbolts #165, Karla pulls a Back to the Future, Gunna has apparently watched Scent of a Woman, and I really enjoy that Kev Walker is being inked by Terry Pallot, it makes his work look a lot crisper.

thunderbolts165a.jpg

thunderbolts165b.jpg

thunderbolts165c.jpg

Generation Hope #13, new writer, lots of fun, strong sense of character development for a jumping on point, everyone gets a moment in the spotlight. And the team makes fun of Boom Boom and makes Namor look like a chump.

generationhope13a.jpg

generationhope13c.jpg

generationhope13h.jpg

generationhope13i.jpg

And X-23 #17, not that good, next issue will really be the wacky babysitting stuff, this issue only had a few pages of it, most was in the preview. This is the only other page you really need:

x23-17b.jpg

And then Val screws up a connection and a dragon is transported into the building, cliffhanger for next issue.

TexiKen on

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    The X-23 story is cute, but...uh... couldn't they have flown to the Savage Land?

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My MOTW is the end of Red Hood and the Outlaws #3. I loved everything about it.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Shit. I wandered around the store for at least half an hour with the wrong comic being put in my list, and in my hand for almost all of that time. I am actually pissed at myself that I have a Jason Aaron comic where Hulk is fighting gamma sharks. Does that make me a bad person?

Oh, well. I still have JIM and Tbolts, OMAC, and a bunch more.

Thunderbolts was great. JIM ... Guess.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Oh my christ that last Generation Hope page

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Last page of Red Hood, though Batman was pretty sweet as well.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    Oh my christ that last Generation Hope page

I didn't quite understand what was even going on there. That said, every comic in my pull this week was great - and for eleven of them, that's quite the surprise.

I'm going to say my MOTW is finally realizing how much the Daily Bugle pages are popping up in Marvel. I didn't realize it was a thing.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote:
    The X-23 story is cute, but...uh... couldn't they have flown to the Savage Land?

or they could not travel to the place ruled by the psychic pterodactyl vampire

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Batman were all fucking fantastic.

WW especially had an incredible ending sequence of the issue. I love it when comics manage to pull off sequences that feel truly cinematic, and that definitely hit the spot.

I still have GLC, Red Hood, Blue Beetle, and Supergirl to read later.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Geriatric supers are one of my favorite things, so Resurrection Man 3 was my MOTW.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    WW especially had an incredible ending sequence of the issue.

I concur, and came to post a portion of it (Wonder Woman #3).
    WW31.jpg
    WW32.jpg
    (FUNERAL ACCOMPLISHED)

Sneaks on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote:

C'mon man, it's the Freaking Fantastic Four. You can't tell me that if the kids want to ride a dinosaur or something, they're not going to pack up for a vacation in the Savage Land out of fear of some 2nd rate X-men villain.

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Doesn't Skarr rule the Savage Land now?

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Kinda, maybe not anymore now that Osborne picked him for his new team.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    MOTW was probably the ending of Red Hood #3.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote:
    MOTW was probably the ending of Red Hood #3.

Yah, it reminded me of the ending to Under the Red Hood. Despite the initial bumpy start of this title, I held out hope that the great artwork and writing would be able to redeem it in the eyes of many.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    Is Cliff Chiang still on Wonder Woman? That doesn't look as good as I recall #1 looking, though I figure he could have just been rushed to hit the deadline.

• JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    The ending of Wonder Woman definitely knocked it out of the park.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    People suck at saying/showing their MOTWs (me included). When something is awesome you should show/explain what was awesome so if we don't read the book we can understand what was awesome and then, maybe, go and buy it and take in the awesome first-hand.

When people come in and say, "OMG. The ending of Batman changes Batman forever!", I cry a little from my cubicle at work and can only speculate on what the awesome was. Help a brother out.

*This post has been brought to you by the word "awesome".

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Speaking of my MOTW was pre-ordering this: http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Starks-Parker-Darwyn-Cooke/dp/1600109802 and getting 25% off because it was Darwyn's birthday and, oh yeah, it's going to be autographed by him. I love my LCS and its close relationship with Mr. Cooke.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2011
    When people come in and say, "OMG. The ending of Batman changes Batman forever!", I cry a little from my cubicle at work and can only speculate on what the awesome was. Help a brother out.

Try Rage, for Men.
    Speaking of my MOTW was pre-ordering this: http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Starks-Parker-Darwyn-Cooke/dp/1600109802 and getting 25% off because it was Darwyn's birthday and, oh yeah, it's going to be autographed by him. I love my LCS and its close relationship with Mr. Cooke.
    That is, indeed, awesome. I only got my personal idea book autographed by him, but that would be awesome. That dude is amazing.

Crimsondude on
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    MOTW? I don't know if I had one. I picked up six books this week, and aside from maybe DCU Presents, I came away sort of disappointed in them all. Reading Justice League, in particular, was something akin to having short, unsatisfying sex.

I think my Moment may be reading 1001 Nights of Snowfall last Friday. I think everything else after that paled in comparison.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    The Flash's entrance in Captain Atom #3:
    capatom301.jpg

capatom302.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh, Captain Atom.

That book walks the line between being good and being another potential JT Krul travesty.

Those pages look really good, but the creepy crawly creature he's building up looks just baaad. I might have to catch up digitally on that book somewhere down the line.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like Captain Atom

It's pretty fun, the subject matter is interesting, all the stuff like plot and dialogue and so on are good, and the art is nice.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote:

I don't see what the problem is. If they just go to the Savage Land, they still have the nuclear bomb.

8aVThp6.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought the whole idea was to avoid letting the kids play with a nuclear bomb.

Also, how do they explain how Flash and Captain Atom can talk while at hyperspeed, or is it just filed under "to nitpiccy to give a shit about." :)

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Speed Force

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Oh hell yes

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The Punisher is a boss.
    11glyef.jpg

20qx6hz.jpg

A big boss.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really love the art in the new Punisher series

CYpGAPn.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Wait, what happened to Frank this time?

8aVThp6.png
    I thought the whole idea was to avoid letting the kids play with a nuclear bomb.

Thank you for treading on my punch line there.

8aVThp6.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sorry, my bad. I just figured you comic guys were so jaded as to not even blink at the idea of giving a nuclear bomb to the progeny of Reed Richards.

Sorry, my bad. I just figured you comic guys were so jaded as to not even blink at the idea of giving a nuclear bomb to the progeny of Reed Richards.

I would probably trust Future Foundation-era Valeria and Franklin with a nuclear bomb more than say, the US government.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is a pretty terrible analogy consider they have several hundred nuclear bombs

and have for decades

CYpGAPn.png
    yes but how many of those have been used for science!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    yes but how many of those have been used to pet dinosaurs!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I really love the art in the new Punisher series

I just wish it didn't make Frank look so young and pretty. He was fine in #5 since he was just Snake, but I like him to look gritty
    143999 wrote:
    Wait, what happened to Frank this time?

He fought (and killed) the new Vulture who vomited on his face and then fell from really high up in the air

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I've been out of the loop for a bit. When did he stop being Frakencastle?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    about a year ago, the bloodstone fixed him up good as new.