As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Desmond sequences rule

I just level up my assassins really quick and assign them to the den, I don't know if it's just me but they level way faster than AssBro

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So does anyone else feel this is WAY WAY harder than previous AssCreeds?

Im having fun, but man am I getting my ass kicked. I just kind of feel like there was literally no "reaquainting" period with the game. And there's guards EVERYWHERE.

I still love it, still love the story and the characters, but it hasn't sucked me in right off the bat like all the previous installments. Its just rough.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I don't think it's harder in general, but you're right about it not being a gentle intro. There are plenty of tutorials to get people up to speed, but they are hidden behind the back button as concepts get introduced, and if you ignore those you can miss important information pretty easily, I think.

Nowhere near as egregious as Arkham City, though.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of attempting to take on some Janissaries somewhere in Act 3. Those guys are tough! Not tough enough to deal with poison darts, though.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I hate you guys with your "X-Stations" and "Play-boxes."

At least I don't have to wait months for this iteration.

• Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    I just LOVE this game so far. I'm only on sequence 3 but I've been taking over every territory and ranking up all my assassistance's. I have yet to throw money on the ground with a poisoned guard lurking, I'm glad there's a semi-related achievement for it. It's been a weird annual tradition for me with these games.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    which cheevo is that

• Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    Monster's Dance
    Have a guard incapacitate 3 civilians while he's poisoned.

I suppose you could do it without throwing money at him but it's really funny watching NPCs trying to get money while the guard stabs them.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm kind of hesitant to pick this up, so I'll ask this: does the main story move along at all in this one? Because Brotherhood sucked in that regard.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    What do you mean? Brotherhood had lots of Desmond stuff in it. If what I hear is right, it's Revelations that barely has any.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I'm kind of hesitant to pick this up, so I'll ask this: does the main story move along at all in this one? Because Brotherhood sucked in that regard.

To be honest the "Revelations" of the title don't actually reveal a whole lot new, but they clarify previous information and provide a very clear direction for AC3

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm expanding into Byzantium ( :P) a bit and now the game is warming up to me. I agree the Tower Defence Interface is a bit painful: One time I was setting up a sophisticated defence, when I realised I had done it at the wrong end of the street and the Templars were a stone's throw from my base. :oops:

So as a result, I've strived to keep my notoriety down as much as possible, and frankly the game is better for it. Having a good time right now. :)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:

To be honest the "Revelations" of the title don't actually reveal a whole lot new, but they clarify previous information and provide a very clear direction for AC3

Considering I just started playing tonight, this is really, really disappointing. Thanks for that. :P

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Well, thanks for the warning. I'll wait on this to drop in price then. Do Altair and Ezio at least get some closure?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    so the multiplayer is vastly improved in just about every way. you can now back out of a match as a group if you joined together. the stun/contested kill system also is much better and very clearly has a 'breaking apart' animation for the B icon above enemies' heads when you can no longer stun an opponent successfully. toss in improved matchmaking, customizable characters, and a small bit of story tied in for good measure too.
    the new modes are great, but the lack of new maps stings a bit (since these are maps we've played from AssBro mostly). corruption stands out as one of the cooler twists on the 'zombie/infection' gametype. my two gripes are A) it can be difficult to fill a game when searching as a party and B) NO DOCTOR. i seriously miss my doctor skin.
    regarding the story elements tied into multiplayer
    had a cool moment where, even though the game had started for my team mates, it instead showed the director of abstergo talking to me. he commended me for doing well and told me i was on my way to being a part of the 'inner circle' of abstergo. i'm not sure what triggers these things but it's neat; it is weird to be seeing a cutscene while everyone else keeps playing... like he's actually complimenting just me

• Options
    Well, thanks for the warning. I'll wait on this to drop in price then. Do Altair and Ezio at least get some closure?

Altair and Ezio's stories are pretty great and they get deserving endings, although Ezio's true ending is in Embers

Wal-Mart has been mistakenly selling this for $40 if that's low enough for you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    symbolsor wrote:
    Monster's Dance
    Have a guard incapacitate 3 civilians while he's poisoned.

I suppose you could do it without throwing money at him but it's really funny watching NPCs trying to get money while the guard stabs them.

I got this achievement completely by accident. Shot a poison dart at the lead templar near a den and he happened to be by a group of people. I think it helped that he had a giant halberd or spear.

Of course, later I would lose this territory in a failed Den Defense, and then proceed to screw up with retaking the territory at least 4 times because of its new cowardly templar leader.

edit: So far this game's music isn't really grabbing me, which is a shame. There's been a standout track in every console AC game for me up until now.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    What do you mean? Brotherhood spoilers:
    They find the apple of Eden and Lucy gets stabbed. That sounds like pretty significant plot advancement to me.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I finally got to throw this in last night.
    I noticed they redesigned Desmond's face again.
    Did anyone else think he looked like Adam Sandler in AssBro?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Okay so what am I doing wrong in this den defense stuff? Is there some sort of rock-paper-scissors mechanic I'm just not getting?

I always truck along just fine and then a flamethrower tank shows up, 1-shots all my fully-upgraded barricades then kills the den while I would probably do more damage to it by pissing on it for all the good my attacks do.

I feel like this game does a really piss poor job of explaining new mechanics to you.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So is AC3 next year or are they taking a two year break? It could be a next-gen launch game if they wait till 2013.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Okay so what am I doing wrong in this den defense stuff? Is there some sort of rock-paper-scissors mechanic I'm just not getting?

I always truck along just fine and then a flamethrower tank shows up, 1-shots all my fully-upgraded barricades then kills the den while I would probably do more damage to it by pissing on it for all the good my attacks do.

I feel like this game does a really piss poor job of explaining new mechanics to you.

I save my cannon shots for the flamethrower tanks.

Also, man the assassins level up quickly in this one. I also like finding
    the "special" assassins, the ones that you have to do a mission to get and they start at a higher level. Fought one guy in a bare-knuckle boxing match. Every time I beat him and started to walk away, he'd yell, "Ha! You've fallen for my ruse." And I'd whup him again. I thought it was funny.

The Master Assassin misisons for your higher level assassins are pretty good too.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    One other thing I like, storywise, is how they eliminated a lot of the vague notions people came away with from the end of Brotherhood.
    Lucy definitely seems dead, and this is not an Animus within an Animus situation.

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    So is AC3 next year or are they taking a two year break? It could be a next-gen launch game if they wait till 2013.

It is next year
    SteevL wrote:
    One other thing I like, storywise, is how they eliminated a lot of the vague notions people came away with from the end of Brotherhood.
    Lucy definitely seems dead, and this is not an Animus within an Animus situation.

Yet at the same time they didn't even bother
    clairfying 16's rant about Eden and Eve, even though he was right there

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, so I sent one of my first assassins on a mission with an 'unknown' time estimate, is there something I have to do to get him to finish it? Because It's been a couple of hours at least, and he's still out there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. Hoppin' on MP ASAP. Can anyone tell us if the matchmaking has improved?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    klemming wrote:
    Okay, so I sent one of my first assassins on a mission with an 'unknown' time estimate, is there something I have to do to get him to finish it? Because It's been a couple of hours at least, and he's still out there.

Happened to me. I think he'll probably come back at a specific time in the story, because that was the first mission I sent my (at the time) only assassin on, and he was level 10 from the start. Maybe it's sort of a tutorial thing.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yes, "unknown" means the end of the mission is triggered by you starting a specific memory. Follow the main story a bit.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention these things last night, but...

VA Spoiler:
    Holy fucking shit, I love you John DeLancie. My blackout must have been fairly successful if I didn't find out he was working on this game until I heard those sweet tenor tones. And then my face was like :D

Character Spoiler:
    I want to punch the everliving shit out of Broject16.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. Hoppin' on MP ASAP. Can anyone tell us if the matchmaking has improved?
    from a few posts above
    so the multiplayer is vastly improved in just about every way. you can now back out of a match as a group if you joined together. the stun/contested kill system also is much better and very clearly has a 'breaking apart' animation for the B icon above enemies' heads when you can no longer stun an opponent successfully. toss in improved matchmaking, customizable characters, and a small bit of story tied in for good measure too.
    the new modes are great, but the lack of new maps stings a bit (since these are maps we've played from AssBro mostly). corruption stands out as one of the cooler twists on the 'zombie/infection' gametype. my two gripes are A) it can be difficult to fill a game when searching as a party and B) NO DOCTOR. i seriously miss my doctor skin.
    regarding the story elements tied into multiplayer
    had a cool moment where, even though the game had started for my team mates, it instead showed the director of abstergo talking to me. he commended me for doing well and told me i was on my way to being a part of the 'inner circle' of abstergo. i'm not sure what triggers these things but it's neat; it is weird to be seeing a cutscene while everyone else keeps playing... like he's actually complimenting just me

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Trying to collect stuff for the multiplayer, if nothing else can be easily stolen for the OP.

830px-ACRMP_Together.jpg

Here's the link to the wiki on the MP characters list, their bios, and the maps.
    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Multiplayer/ACR#Characters

Wiki link to MP weapons.
    http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Revelations_Multiplayer_weapons

Stumbled across MP DLC called the Ancestors Character Pack.

xlarge_ba236df914dba2306f7be35f90df0312.jpg

The new characters are The Privateer, Corsair, Gladiator and Brigand.

• Options
    I just realized who one particular character in this game looks like. I'm only spoiling this silliness because I don't know if it'd be bad form to spoil that he's in the game even though he's in there right at the beginning.
    Subject 16 reminds me very much of Val Kilmer in Real Genius. Must be the hair.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So am I not alone in thinking that Subject 16 has a different VA than previous games?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    So am I not alone in thinking that Subject 16 has a different VA than previous games?

It's definitely different. Cam Clarke did his voice in the two previous games; this can't be Cam Clarke.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Why is my notoriety increasing when I renovate buildings? I'm in a "white area" even -- one controlled by the assassin's currently. And yet buying a bank and blacksmith has fill my meter by nearly half.

Speaking of notoriety, how do I decrease the meter in this game? So far I haven't seen any wanted posters on the walls to tear down or criers to bribe.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    There are definitely criers around. They cost 100 to bribe down 25%. There are also these courier guys that walk around with two armed guards you can kill for 50% off your meter.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Why is my notoriety increasing when I renovate buildings? I'm in a "white area" even -- one controlled by the assassin's currently. And yet buying a bank and blacksmith has fill my meter by nearly half.

The game does a piss-poor job of explaining how you gain notoriety, I think. Basically, you get it for any illegal activity as well as property renovation.

I usually find it easiest to kill those officials (not couriers). They are marked on the UI with an eye symbol. Easy to kill. I usually throw a knife at them from atop a building.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I just bought a 3Dtv. Ignoring the resolution dip, this game is a showpiece for 3D.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    I used those colored 3D glasses for the first couple of hours that I played, and it really is the best color-based 3D I've seen. It popped into 3D for my eyes immediately, and it adds an even better sense of height and scale in the game. It's not perfect, and certainly not as good as movie theater 3D or home 3D with shutter glasses, but it's great considering that I can do it with my existing TV. They seem to use the colors only around the edges of things (a guess) to get the 3D effect, so colors aren't nearly as jacked up as they are with old style color-based 3D. It's certainly worth taking the time to turn it on, and you can toggle it at any time from the options while you're playing. I don't think I'll be playing with it on at all times, but I probably will when I find some neat climbing bits.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, I've only just reached the first
    Deadfall wrote:
    There are definitely criers around. They cost 100 to bribe down 25%. There are also these courier guys that walk around with two armed guards you can kill for 50% off your meter.

Fun fact: After bribing a crier, you can pickpocket him to get your money back.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.