As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So I was looking into doing the Spartan Sprint at Blue Mountain Ski Area (in PA, around the Poconos) in July, and I'd really like to do it, but I also want to have people to do it with. I'll probably post something in the Fitocracy group. I'm just sad that it will be AFTER PAX East.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I was looking into doing the Spartan Sprint at Blue Mountain Ski Area (in PA, around the Poconos) in July, and I'd really like to do it, but I also want to have people to do it with. I'll probably post something in the Fitocracy group. I'm just sad that it will be AFTER PAX East.

As if we were not going to make any friends, or strengthen friendships, with PAX :)

In other exercise related news, I just want to rant about how I feel duped by this salesman that sold me a pair of walking shoes. Long story short, I had mixed feelings about the shoe and the saleman went on to explain that a hard sole and a good arch were key to a good walking shoe. Note that I've been going to the same place for years and I had no reason to believe he would just say anything to sell me a product. It's also a discount store so there are no refunds, ect. Never had to worry about that with them either.

I tried to break them in since Sunday but yesterday mid run I just could not take it anymore and went back to my old half destroyed running shoes. Quite disoncerting considering it's a known brand and I paid more than I usually wood for a pair of shoes. Today I'm going to get myself a new pair. I don't care.

I'm just curious to know if people agree with the guy. For all I know, those "important features" did more harm than anything. My right foot is covered in blisters this morning.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    well I can't specifically speak to "important features" but why were you using a walking shoe to go for a run? There are running shoes too ;)

• Options
    zerzhul wrote:
    well I can't specifically speak to "important features" but why were you using a walking shoe to go for a run? There are running shoes too ;)

Sorry, when I meant "run" I actually meant "walking course". Besides you've seen me, it's going to be a while before I can even think of running :) Also there may be some loss in the translation. I think we all call sneakers a running shoe in french ("running" for short). We actually use the English term most of the time. The french word means even less (espadrille, which sounds more like Spanish to me).

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I've joined the group on fitocracy. I was in one of the previous attempts at this but ended up dropping out, though I did take the weight loss to heart, I've lost over 30 lbs since June and I average 5 miles of walking daily now. My ideas on food have changed some but I went for an overall rework rather then a diet of any sort. And its worked, I haven't had to really give up anything I love (except evil evil potatoes), which makes it easier.

But yeah, I've got my fitbit and fitocracy now to kick my butt in gear. I would love to lose another 30 or more before PAX. :)

Frugus wrote:
    I'm just curious to know if people agree with the guy. For all I know, those "important features" did more harm than anything. My right foot is covered in blisters this morning.

People will probably disagree with me, but I've been in barefoot running shoes since March of this year, I've been wearing them pretty much 24/7 since April. Its been the greatest change I've ever made, it took awhile to get use to it but my feet feel better (no more arch pain!), my legs and my feet are stronger and more flexible and I actually really enjoy walking/running now.

Human beings don't need heavy soles and arch support except in a few rare cases. All shoes do it make your foot weak and ruin your gait. (http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/)

I <3 my vibrams, best change ever.

ransim on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I love my Vibrams too, I wish I could wear them now that it's cold out, but it's back to boots I guess. :-(

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    They apparently make black kangaroo leather KSO Treks that are much warmer and I believe have liners. I've been wearing mine with toe socks and its much warmer, but I was considering checking out the leather ones for once we really get into winter and reserve my boots for the snow/ice days.

• Options
    Those leather KSOs hurt my feet so bad, they were the first ones I tried. They have new bootlike ones out, but I haven't seen them in person yet.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    For those who started "working out" recently...

Who else started sleeping like a baby every night? I always wake up refreshed and realize the stuff that used to pissed me off so much does not really matter and everything is actually fine now...

Is Chorazin slipping something into my drinking water?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Who else started sleeping like a baby every night? I always wake up refreshed and realize the stuff that used to pissed me off so much does not really matter and everything is actually fine now...

Yes, and better energy during the day. Still get tired, but coffee and the Fear of All That Is Holy has a stronger effect.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Fitocracy has no option for "girl push-ups." I object. >.>

What the hell are they really called anyway? Where you do push-ups but from your knees :s

Tinkster on
  • Options
    They're listed in Fitocracy as a "Knee Push-Up". Its not a girl push up. >_>

Push ups are arm and chest exercises but they really require a strong core to do properly. If you don't have a strong core its likely that you aren't even doing them properly. The best way to do push ups is to progress down from a wall push up to a true military style push up. Basically you work your way down while building your core up to do them properly.

http://www.ronjones.org/Coach&Train/BodyXerciseLibrary/PushUps/index.html

I never understood why Knee Push Ups got coined as "girl" push ups, they're a type of beginner push-up, just like wall, table and chair/coffee table push ups.

• Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    Yes! I'm so glad this thread is back! I also joined the PAX East group on Fitocracy. I love it, it's the only exercise site I have found that actually has a "video game dancing" option! I've lost 25lbs-ish since the last PAX East and I'm hoping to lose at least 15 more.

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    ransim wrote:
    They're listed in Fitocracy as a "Knee Push-Up". Its not a girl push up. >_>

Push ups are arm and chest exercises but they really require a strong core to do properly. If you don't have a strong core its likely that you aren't even doing them properly. The best way to do push ups is to progress down from a wall push up to a true military style push up. Basically you work your way down while building your core up to do them properly.

http://www.ronjones.org/Coach&Train/BodyXerciseLibrary/PushUps/index.html

I never understood why Knee Push Ups got coined as "girl" push ups, they're a type of beginner push-up, just like wall, table and chair/coffee table push ups.

When I was in grade school guys had to do military push ups and girls had to do Knee push-ups. Could be that...

On a somewhat different note, a phys ed coach once showed us how women could do certain exercises with ease that guys could barely manage (if at all). Maybe some types of push ups are better for certain genders?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Frugus wrote:
    ransim wrote:

When I was in grade school guys had to do military push ups and girls had to do Knee push-ups. Could be that...

Yes, that's exactly it, hence my quotes. I'm not particularly fond of the term, but when we did them in gym growing up, that's how they differentiated.

But thank you! I was looking under "arm" exercises and they weren't listed there; I didn't even think to look under "chest."

I only managed 3 of them, but I want to note the credit by god! xD

Tinkster on
  • Options
    Tinkster wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    ransim wrote:

Yes, that's exactly it, hence my quotes. I'm not particularly fond of the term, but when we did them in gym growing up, that's how they differentiated.

But thank you! I was looking under "arm" exercises and they weren't listed there; I didn't even think to look under "chest."

Yeah it was like that in school for me too, and always vaguely insulting, at the time I was in good shape so I did full military push ups out of spite. >_<

They are beginner push-ups though, nothing more, meant for guys or girls that don't have the core strength to do a full push-up yet.

As far as women versus men, there are some generalizations that can be made, men in general tend to outperform women. Men have more muscle mass, less body fat, and more efficient consumption of oxygen. But exercises being more male or female is kinda baloney. It has a lot more to do with your personal level of fitness, fitness goals/focus and body composition then anything else.

In very basic terms, both women and men have the same muscle structures and internal functions, there aren't exercises that one group can do that another can't. The difference comes in that women in general don't focus on adding muscle bulk, whereas men do. Men also tend to naturally have less mass so it makes it easier for them to build muscle which helps them burn fat faster.

So it creates an illusion that there are things men can do that women can't or that women can do that men can't. :)

• Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Seriously though, low carb is so easy and how can you not love a diet were bacon, steak, and wings are 100% diet friendly? This past weekend I had at least three servings of bacon, fried eggs, homemade mozzarella sticks, and hot wings!

I don't want this to seem like I'm jumping on Chorazin, because I'm not. I myself tried the Atkins diet once. I lost 40 pounds really easily, then gained 60 pound as soon as I went off the diet.

To anybody considering a low-carb high-fat diet, PLEASE DON'T DO IT! It is extremely bad for you nutritionally speaking. What's more than that, you'll develop terrible eating habits since there is no concept of portion control. Use your logic... Do you really think a diet that allows you to eat a pound of bacon for dinner, but forbids a slice of toast can be good for you?

I've lost over 60 Lb. in the last year, and kept it off. I'm not going to get on a soapbox and evangelize my method. Just know that there is no magic pill, no quick fix, and no fad diet that will get you to your goal. I spent years doing damage to my body, there is no reason to expect that it won't take years to fix what I've done. It takes time, commitment, discipline, and above all - hard work.

• Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    LordGimmik wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Seriously though, low carb is so easy and how can you not love a diet were bacon, steak, and wings are 100% diet friendly? This past weekend I had at least three servings of bacon, fried eggs, homemade mozzarella sticks, and hot wings!

I don't want this to seem like I'm jumping on Chorazin, because I'm not. I myself tried the Atkins diet once. I lost 40 pounds really easily, then gained 60 pound as soon as I went off the diet.

To anybody considering a low-carb high-fat diet, PLEASE DON'T DO IT! It is extremely bad for you nutritionally speaking. What's more than that, you'll develop terrible eating habits since there is no concept of portion control. Use your logic... Do you really think a diet that allows you to eat a pound of bacon for dinner, but forbids a slice of toast can be good for you?

I've lost over 60 Lb. in the last year, and kept it off. I'm not going to get on a soapbox and evangelize my method. Just know that there is no magic pill, no quick fix, and no fad diet that will get you to your goal. I spent years doing damage to my body, there is no reason to expect that it won't take years to fix what I've done. It takes time, commitment, discipline, and above all - hard work.

This. Balance in all things. Just lower your gluten intake (from things like white bread and starched pasta). If you have just started working out, you need the calories to keep your energy up. Then start cutting back, and I've generally found that once I start working out, I'll make healthier decisions automatically because 1) I genuinely want more fruits and veggies, and 2) I don't want to negate what I did at the gym.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ransim wrote:
    I've joined the group on fitocracy. I was in one of the previous attempts at this but ended up dropping out, though I did take the weight loss to heart, I've lost over 30 lbs since June and I average 5 miles of walking daily now. My ideas on food have changed some but I went for an overall rework rather then a diet of any sort. And its worked, I haven't had to really give up anything I love (except evil evil potatoes), which makes it easier.

But yeah, I've got my fitbit and fitocracy now to kick my butt in gear. I would love to lose another 30 or more before PAX. :)

Frugus wrote:

People will probably disagree with me, but I've been in barefoot running shoes since March of this year, I've been wearing them pretty much 24/7 since April. Its been the greatest change I've ever made, it took awhile to get use to it but my feet feel better (no more arch pain!), my legs and my feet are stronger and more flexible and I actually really enjoy walking/running now.

Human beings don't need heavy soles and arch support except in a few rare cases. All shoes do it make your foot weak and ruin your gait. (http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/)

I <3 my vibrams, best change ever.

I don't think any one can disagree with this that has done some research. there is a reason why so many people enjoy their finger shoes... what it comes down to is that they allow your toes to move freely, and the way they were designed to move to properly support your natural body alignment. Highly recommended for many runners.
    Tinkster wrote:
    Fitocracy has no option for "girl push-ups." I object. >.>

ransim wrote:
    Tinkster wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    ransim wrote:

Yeah it was like that in school for me too, and always vaguely insulting, at the time I was in good shape so I did full military push ups out of spite. >_<

They are beginner push-ups though, nothing more, meant for guys or girls that don't have the core strength to do a full push-up yet.

As far as women versus men, there are some generalizations that can be made, men in general tend to outperform women. Men have more muscle mass, less body fat, and more efficient consumption of oxygen. But exercises being more male or female is kinda baloney. It has a lot more to do with your personal level of fitness, fitness goals/focus and body composition then anything else.

In very basic terms, both women and men have the same muscle structures and internal functions, there aren't exercises that one group can do that another can't. The difference comes in that women in general don't focus on adding muscle bulk, whereas men do. Men also tend to naturally have less mass so it makes it easier for them to build muscle which helps them burn fat faster.

So it creates an illusion that there are things men can do that women can't or that women can do that men can't. :)

I agree 100%!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. there is nothing that prevents a female from dead lifting 500 pounds, and there is nothing preventing a male from doing a solid split in all directions. it's all based on what the individual is capable of. as far as push ups, I would strongly recommend doing some planks (http://tinyurl.com/5vfdp7) and wall push ups till you can successfully do a solid push up. using your knees doesn't really work out the muscles you want to be working out... even sitting in a regular push up position (feet out, and arms locked out holding your body up) with out even doing them will show better results than just the knee push ups alone. with that said, glad to see so many people keeping up with this, and that it got bumped! too bad we never got organized enough to actually determine some sort of game that we could all take part in but oh well, glad to see something like fitocracy happen and the ability to do it solo, to help those who can keep at it on their own. kepp up the good work everyone!!!!

Korvas on
  • Options
    LordGimmik wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

This. Balance in all things. Just lower your gluten intake (from things like white bread and starched pasta). If you have just started working out, you need the calories to keep your energy up. Then start cutting back, and I've generally found that once I start working out, I'll make healthier decisions automatically because 1) I genuinely want more fruits and veggies, and 2) I don't want to negate what I did at the gym.

I'm going to second this, balance in all things! It should be a lifestyle change, but it shouldn't be restrictive to the point where you develop cravings and give in.

If there is something you want its likely you can find it in a better form and smaller quantities. But don't expect it to be easy or quick.

Also really I don't think I could survive without rice (brown), oatmeal or carrots.

• Options
    LordGimmik wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you, I would just invite you to do more research on the subject before stating its the worst possible thing. I get my daily recommended amount of veggies every day. Low carb doesn't mean no carbs, it means eating the right carbs and in a controlled way.

I invite anyone willing to learn more to check this link: http://lowcarbplate.com/tlcm/

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    ransim wrote:
    LordGimmik wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I'm going to second this, balance in all things! It should be a lifestyle change, but it shouldn't be restrictive to the point where you develop cravings and give in.

If there is something you want its likely you can find it in a better form and smaller quantities. But don't expect it to be easy or quick.

Also really I don't think I could survive without rice (brown), oatmeal or carrots.

I can't agree more. You need to indulge your cravings from time to time, otherwise you'll end up feeling like you're denying yourself which leads to binging. What worked for me was having a scheduled "cheat meal" once a week where I could eat whatever I want (with a reasonable portion size.) The trick is waiting until your cheat day. Unless you have iron strong willpower, it becomes very easy to cheat too often. Really, all you need to do to lose weight is consume fewer calories then you burn. You can eat less, burn more, or do a combination of the two. Every 3,200 calories you burn that you don't consume will remove a pound of body fat. That's only about 450 calories a day to lose 1LB of fat a week! There are formulas that approximate your daily metabolic rate (how many calories you burn just by being alive) add to that calories burned from exercise, and subtract calories consumed. If you still have a positive number, you lose weight that day!

It can get a lot more complicated, but I don't want to write a book here. If anyone wants more information on anything you are welcome to send me a PM.

• Options
    Chorazin wrote:
    LordGimmik wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you, I would just invite you to do more research on the subject before stating its the worst possible thing. I get my daily recommended amount of veggies every day. Low carb doesn't mean no carbs, it means eating the right carbs and in a controlled way.

I invite anyone willing to learn more to check this link: http://lowcarbplate.com/tlcm/

Well that sounds a lot more reasonable and like something I can somewhat get behind. At first I thought you were advocating the fad low-carb diet where you can eat literally as much protein so you can stuff down (lean or fatty) but can't have shredded wheat. That's the version of the low-carb diet that I despise. Different things work for different people. Personally, I eat a lot of carbs, but they are the good (complex) carbs. I actually had very good luck with carb cycling too, but that's an advanced nutrition topic. In a typical day I eat shredded wheat for breakfast with skim milk and fruit, and oatmeal for lunch with a protean shake. Not low-carb at all, but all complex carbs that take a long time for my body to digest.

The best resource I have found for general nutrition information come from a bodybuilder named Scooby. He lists everything on his website for free and basically recommends you buy nothing from anybody, least of all him. Here is his basic nutrition page for anybody that wants to check it out.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/nutrition/

• Options
    WikalWikal Registered User regular
    This sounds like a really cool idea. Started working out and dieting a few months back, but I've kinda fallen into a rut and I want to get it going into full gear. Just joined the fitocracy group.

The one diet/fitness site I would really recommend is Mark's Daily Apple. He explains a lot of common food myths, and has a lifestyle called the Primal Blueprint. He gets really indepth with some of the science behind each compound we find in real life (fats, carbs, insulin, protein). It's sort of a low-carb diet, in that it discourages processed carbs (bread, pasta, muffins) and encourages natural ones (veggies, fruits). There's several variations, depending on whether you're trying to gain muscle, trying to lose weight, or just eat healthier. I've lost 40 pounds since January on it (and gained a bunch of muscle), 6 inches off my waist, and all my stuff doesn't fit me anymore.

If anybody wants some advice, I'd be happy to help, just send me a PM.

• Options
    RedBerriesRedBerries Dragon Fister Historian HolbrookRegistered User regular
    I have been slacking since I first signed up but have within the last month lost 5 pounds. I have been training for http://runforyourlives.com/ on top of pax and a wedding (multitasking!). I have been using the couch potato to 5k method http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and when I am not running on my off days I am using this http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14789&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=14789 .

I am glad to see so many people trying to get healthy, getting fit is just a positive side effect.

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    RedBerries wrote:
    I have been training for http://runforyourlives.com/ on top of pax and a wedding (multitasking!). I have been using the couch potato to 5k method

Just checked out the link - OMG that's hilarious. I was contemplating the Warrior Dash (truly for the beer at the end) but your race... Wow!. and C25K is pretty cool.
    Need to follow suit and get my butt into gear :P

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    I slacked so much, I didn't do anything since well....ever. But now I am committed and I even have a gym membership so I have no excuse to not go right after work. I would love to lose....well as much as I can by April but 40-50 pounds would be fabulous. I can do this! I'm also on Fitocracy under LollerskateDJ :D

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    I am totally in on this. Juju and I were just talking about how I want to be more in shape, so this is perfect! I want to build muscle and tone; I have gained weight due to a medication and despite eating better and spending less time sitting around I still have weight to lose.
    Level Up Challenge:
    I want to build endurance so that I can participate in the Boston Zombie run. I also want to lose 10 pounds by PAX East but if I stay the same weight but build muscle that is even better. ;)

How I plan to do it:
    I am going to be using Dance Central as my primary cardio work out. I have joined a gym but due to the hours I work can only visit there twice a week. I will keep a record of what I am doing on my blog and will put links here. :)

@Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    So what are you guys listening too while you do your exercise?

Me :
    - Audio books: I can't wait for SWTOR so I started listening to the two "official" novels that were released.
    - 4x4 Deluxe: Not a huge fan of Techno but I kept hearing about it.
    - Daft Punk's Alive 1997: I'm starting to sound like a guy who like's Techno now... But Daft Punk is different right?
    - Run with the Cadence - U.S Marines: Very motivating to say the least. They have a version for every military division but they sound the same to me.

I would sometimes listen to Led Zeppelin, old U2 songs, Black Keys, Pink Floyd and some class GnR, but that stuff does not lend itself well to exercising IMO.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Thanks to everyone signing up, we now have group invites for Fitocracy! If you know people going to PAX, send them this link for a Fitocracy invite: http://ftcy.co/vbq5sa

I still love the idea of making buttons, and I think Fitocracy is going to make things a bit easier, but I'm kind of stuck on the mechanics. Any input would be helpful.
    Frugus wrote:

- OCRemix has an amazing catalog of free remixes of video game music. That was my workout soundtrack for a long time. It's important to remove the more melancholy stuff, not really conductive to the workout environment.
    - PAX bands - Supercommuter is getting me super-hyped recently. Protomen (especially "Hope Rides Alone" and "Vengeance") push me hard
    - Blood Stain Child - super-speedy Japanese techno metal. Super great.
    - The one song that pushes me further when running or biking is "Tank" by Seat Belts - a.k.a. the Cowboy Bebop theme.

And Frugus, it's completely okay to not like techno and also listen to it when you're working out. As long as you've taken the Hypocritic oath.

BaconSandwich on
  • Options
    And Frugus, it's completely okay to not like techno and also listen to it when you're working out. As long as you've taken the Hypocritic oath.

2007_03_16_stonecutters.jpg

I'm looking forward to go back home this evening and check out all of your suggestions. I just finished the Audiobook and I don't think I can stomach my current playlist anymore.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    As a heads up for people who want to track their food/exercise on their smartphones, I highly recommend Lose It! I just downloaded it today on my Galaxy S and it's pretty awesome. It comes with a bar code checker so you get the nutritional facts to be tracked off of it. The database for food is great and organized as well by brand.

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    As a heads up for people who want to track their food/exercise on their smartphones, I highly recommend Lose It! I just downloaded it today on my Galaxy S and it's pretty awesome. It comes with a bar code checker so you get the nutritional facts to be tracked off of it. The database for food is great and organized as well by brand.

Studies have shown that simply by "being aware" of the exact calories in what you are consuming, you end up losing weight. I really believe this since I haven't been tracking with pen and paper like I used to, but I always know the nutritional value of everything I eat or drink. It's easy to learn over time. 1 cup of skim milk is 90 calories, etc, etc. Knowledge is power.

• Options

More music!

- Girl Talk: He makes these amazing mashup albums encompassing just about every bit of pop from the last 50 years. They're meant to be listened to in one continuous hour-long track, perfect for long runs or bike rides. Here is a link to an album he released for free! http://illegal-art.net/allday/
    - Another PAX band that I should have mentioned, Anamanaguchi is always good for chiptune-inspired energy
    - The Portal 2 soundtrack. All of it. Just wonderful. Go here. http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

• Options
    Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    ok I'm officially in! I signed up on fitocracy and I also signed up at the YMCA! Start tomorrow with a trainer!

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Hotel [X] Badges [X]Time Off

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It's pretty cold in PA today, so I was super excited to wear my awesome peacoat I got last year! I thought it was gonna fit so much better because it was a bit snug last year.

I put it on, and started buttoning, and then thought "I must have started on the first set of buttons" so I tried to pull it toward to second set...which weren't there. My GF says "That's as far over as it goes," and I realise I was on the farthest set of buttons but it's now HUGE on me. Like, doesn't look to great huge. So, be careful folks or you'll need new clothes sooner than you think! :P
    Kiki_lou wrote:
    ok I'm officially in! I signed up on fitocracy and I also signed up at the YMCA! Start tomorrow with a trainer!

Diet is the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WEIGHT LOSS. Weight watchers, low carb, south beach, calorie count, WHATEVER, just do some research and pick one you think you can stick with. It's hard at first to change your eating habits without some sort of guide. I highly recommend Weight Watchers (I did that before I switched to low carb and lost a good deal) because it allows you a great deal of flexability while you learn to change your eating habits.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    missmalice_missmalice_ closet nerd EastcoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm late in the game but you all inspired me to join Fitocracy also too a great dieting site is fitnessbuddy.com it's like facebook meets weightwatchers. I enjoy the app that comes with it

missmalice_ on
    Pax badge [X] hotel [X] time off [X] travel []
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    I should really sign up for one of these, at the moment I am just upset at how little I have been to the gym. I don't know how to find the time (one could argue that I could be there now but my weekends are pretty busy....) So I am doing most of what I do at home.

Anyone have nutritional advice? I want to ramp up metabolism before cutting calories.

@Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    RedBerriesRedBerries Dragon Fister Historian HolbrookRegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

Young Money. Drake and Nicki Minaj
    Pink
    Sneakerpimps
    Shakira

Anything with a good beat. There is an app called C25K that uses the music on your phone or MP3 player to track time, it will change songs when its time for you to change activity. Its neat if you like to make your own mash ups.

• Options
    Frugus wrote:

I tend to need stuff that either has a good steady beat to move to doesn't need to be fast or good motivating lyrics, angry stuff works well too. I tend to have stuff from a lot of genres though. Basically though if its a song that makes me want to dance or get up and move it gets added to the playlist for exercising.

Number one song for exercising? Tractor by Combichrist

Some other stuff I'm listening to regularly:

Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster
    Noisia - Machine Gun (16 Bit Remix)
    Syrian - Musika Atomika
    Scooter - Jumping All Over the World
    Terrorfakt - Pure v2
    Muse - Uprising
    Nightwish - Planet Hell
    The Benny Goodman Orchestra - Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing)
    Basement Jaxx - Hey U
    Caravan Palace - Suzy
    Lady Gaga - Americano
    Billy Idol - Dancing with Myself
    Eisbrecher - 1000 Flammen
    Borderlands - Mad Moxxi Boss Wave Music
    Borderlands - Ain't no Rest for the Wicked

Now if work could stop being crazy for a bit so I can get back into my evening routine.