As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They were all dead. The final gunsh- IT'S PAYNE

• Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    I was going to say we'll see if Rockstar can make a good Max Payne game but then I remembered they made the 2nd one didn't they?

Love me.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I just worry that the woman Max is meant to be protecting will become a love-interest. It would need to be handled really well if this were so, rather than "hey look some tits, gonna go rescue 'em!" which is my fear. The gameplay looks pretty sharp, though.

edit: Remedy made Max Payne 1 and 2, Rockstar published.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    I just worry that the woman Max is meant to be protecting will become a love-interest. It would need to be handled really well if this were so, rather than "hey look some tits, gonna go rescue 'em!" which is my fear. The gameplay looks pretty sharp, though.

Its a Max Payne game.

There will be no happy ending.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Karl wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

Its a Max Payne game.

There will be no happy ending.

I just worry that they'll cock up the characters and have a guy who's (spoiling MP1 and 2 stuff, yo)
    lost/possibly murdered his wife, then lost Mona
    deciding that some new woman entering the frame is enough motivation to go do whatever. Basically there's plenty of room for some great character depth and storytelling, that could all be flattened if he sets off rescuin' some lady he just met and already loves.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Max Payne 1 and 2 should only be played on PC ever. MODS, son!

Kung Fu Max Payne 3.0, at this point, needs to just be bundled with all Max Payne 1 downloads. After a vanilla first time playthru, throwing on the Kung Fu is just amazing. Because of that mod, I wound up playing completely through Max Payne 1 at least 20 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhjtSY-nxg

As for Max Payne 2, I have to recommend the Cinema 2.0 mod, but only after a normal vanilla game run.

As for which Max Payne 2 ending they use going into Max Payne 3, I hope it's the normal non-DOA difficulty ending (ending in the spoiler).
    Mona dying just fits the narrative better.

It's a real shame that, since Remedy isn't involved in Max Payne 3, we won't be getting a new Poets Of The Fall song. 'Late Goodbye' was such an amazing capper to Max Payne 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4nYbCWNT7Q

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I really need to replay Max Payne 2, I've played the first about 4 times or so, and only once for 2. Definitely my favorite shooters ever, so I'm amped for 3. I am kind of curious as to whether they'll add another love interest, or maybe make the kidnapped girl more of a daughter motivation for him or something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Briefly and badly:

Limited cast of characters who recur in sometimes unexpected ways, an urban cosmopolitan setting, elements of sexual tension and transgression which the protagonist is tempted by and resists, corruption, vice, betrayal, and a morally ambiguous ending which resolves nothing and it is unclear whether or not anything good was achieved

noirs are romances of the city, but theyre also very moralistic tales about the dangers of overindulging in the freedom afforded by the urban environment

the detectives are lone guardians of chivalry and virtue and live by strict codes that make sense nearly only to themselves; they are tempted and may falter, but always hold true when it counts. It's a modern day sir Gawain and the green knight.

This isn't a definition of noir - that's impossible. Just an answer to what I consider the central ideas of it are, and what makes it so compelling.

So I'm not sure I understand. Are you concerned that the new direction for Max Payne will not be sufficiently noir, or are you arguing that the series thus far has fallen short of your expectations for the genre? Because the first game definitely felt like all of the things you listed in the first sentence. I mean, it's not perfectly by the books because at the end of the day it's a game about shooting dudes and concessions are made, but as a noir game I'd say it's one of the few good examples (not that there's a glut of noir games).

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    God damn I loved 1 and 2. So much. Also I loved how original Max looked like a smirking Johnny Knoxville.

ScreenShot1.jpg
    johnny-knoxville.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Briefly and badly:

Limited cast of characters who recur in sometimes unexpected ways, an urban cosmopolitan setting, elements of sexual tension and transgression which the protagonist is tempted by and resists, corruption, vice, betrayal, and a morally ambiguous ending which resolves nothing and it is unclear whether or not anything good was achieved

noirs are romances of the city, but theyre also very moralistic tales about the dangers of overindulging in the freedom afforded by the urban environment

the detectives are lone guardians of chivalry and virtue and live by strict codes that make sense nearly only to themselves; they are tempted and may falter, but always hold true when it counts. It's a modern day sir Gawain and the green knight.

This isn't a definition of noir - that's impossible. Just an answer to what I consider the central ideas of it are, and what makes it so compelling.

This is a really good explanation of what/why noir is.

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    listen guys, get off of Blank's back. He's in here because he is a huge fan of the movie, SO WHAT

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2011
    Riale wrote:

So I'm not sure I understand. Are you concerned that the new direction for Max Payne will not be sufficiently noir, or are you arguing that the series thus far has fallen short of your expectations for the genre? Because the first game definitely felt like all of the things you listed in the first sentence. I mean, it's not perfectly by the books because at the end of the day it's a game about shooting dudes and concessions are made, but as a noir game I'd say it's one of the few good examples (not that there's a glut of noir games).
    New direction. The first two games are some of the smartest pieces of game writing and narrative design you can find. Sami Lake knows his shit from a few different perspectives. He's not great at prose, but he knows what makes a game tick and how a story functions at a deep, fundamental level.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the technology is staggering

this is the clincher for me, though; the only thing the games industry seems to have learned from actual noir is the stylistic trappings and not any of what makes it interesting

SHRUG

dude have you read the Yiddish Policeman's Union? I'm about halfway through it and it's goddamned amazing

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Cautiously excited about this

I enjoyed the first two games but I'm not so sure how I'd feel about more of the same, albeit far more dynamic and pretty

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    I don't have much memory of one.

And I was told that Max Payne 2 was bad maybe?

And oh ho ho, the Max Payne movie
    people have probably commented on this already but i'll add to that with the fact that max payne 2 is definitely one of my top three pieces of entertainment software and might be my favorite game ever made

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Anyone who tells you that Max Payne 2 is a bad game is an awful person.

It contains one of my all-time favorite endings to a video game (the non-DOA ending, if you're wondering). Thematically excellent, a brilliant way of doing a "Bad End" without making the player feel cheated.

And then 'Late Goodbye' cues up. Awesome.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN

• Options
    I remember one goon spoiling the other regarding the series finale
    And then they both died. Because I shot them in the face

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Riale wrote:

New direction. The first two games are some of the smartest pieces of game writing and narrative design you can find. Sami Lake knows his shit from a few different perspectives. He's not great at prose, but he knows what makes a game tick and how a story functions at a deep, fundamental level.

I don't know, Orik

After playing through GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, I feel pretty confident that the guys at Rockstar know their way around a story

And they've been the one developer I can think of (outside of Remedy I suppose) who have ever put downright tragic endings in their multi-million dollar games

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    this is the clincher for me, though; the only thing the games industry seems to have learned from actual noir is the stylistic trappings and not any of what makes it interesting

SHRUG

While the prior games fucking overdosed on the style (not that I particularly mind the indulgence), I think Remedy has some handle on thematic complexity, and I think they've gotten better about it, if also messier, since. They're not developing this one, though; Rockstar is. So instead of a bizarre pastiche of American pop culture and Norse mythology, we'll probably get an overwrought story and a bunch of Tony Scott worship.

• Options
    I was mainly thinking of Heavy Rain, LA Noire, and other games that partake in the style but not the substance, of you'll allow me to be a bit pat.

• Options
    Oh, hey, there's a second page. Oh well.

• Options
    I guess someone already covered the Max Payne squint, too.

Totally doesn't look right in that trailer for 3.

• Options
    Grim Fandango is obviously brilliant, by the by.

• Options
    Also olivaw I can definitely talk about how much rockstar doesn't know what they're doing if you like

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    to the max

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

Kung Fu Max Payne 3.0, at this point, needs to just be bundled with all Max Payne 1 downloads. After a vanilla first time playthru, throwing on the Kung Fu is just amazing. Because of that mod, I wound up playing completely through Max Payne 1 at least 20 times.

reminds me of Enter the Matrix

a game I enjoyed

• Options
    I was mainly thinking of Heavy Rain, LA Noire, and other games that partake in the style but not the substance, of you'll allow me to be a bit pat.

Oh, yeah, I didn't see the second page, so I missed your clarification on the earlier Max Paynes and Sam Lake.

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    maybe rockstar will surprise us

but i don't hold out much hope they can come close to the first two

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote:

reminds me of Enter the Matrix

a game I enjoyed
    there was a full-on matrix conversion for max payne

matrixed reality i think? it had a christload of guns and used the kung fu mod

if you liked enter the matrix you'd love the mod

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    While this game looks alright I guess, It seems to be fuck all to do with Max Payne. The feel of the game, the stylistic choices, the character design and so on, if it hadn't been for the music (which feels massively out of place) and the title, and I guess the voiceover, then I wouldn't have had a clue it was a Max Payne sequel. It doesn't even feel like it took inspiration from the Max Payne games.

• Options
    Also olivaw I can definitely talk about how much rockstar doesn't know what they're doing if you like

I really enjoyed playing Red Dead Redemption up to the point where I just stopped. Basically, when you get back from Mexico. It was a sprawling mess of plot points with no consequence and a kind of weird split in influence between traditional westerns and spaghetti westerns. Also, the whole riding around shooting things mechanic felt really good, but they shouldn't have mapped all of the buttons (I played it on 360, don't know if this was on PS3) to hit John Marston over the head with anachronistic social themes.

• Options
    Someone sat up in a meeting and said "we should put CARS in a spaghetti western" and everyone agreed with them.

• Options
    I mean, I love playing their games. They're super fun. I'm just grumbling about how they don't make any goddamn sense in even the most general aspects from a writing viewpoint.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Slow motion jump to the left

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

Land

Slow motion jump to the right

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

Land

Slow motion jump to the left

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also the dream sequences where you can fall off the path and actually die can fuck right off

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Also the dream sequences where you can fall off the path and actually die can fuck right off

I'll agree with that. But I loved the game nonetheless.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    FUCK THOSE BLOODTRAILS AND CRYING BABY SOUNDS

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    In hindsight I don't think it ever took me very long to get past those parts, but man

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    They weren't difficult but the crying baby is unsettling to listen to for 5-10 minutes

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-UTsLRcSU

43 seconds if you do it right.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg