As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy Flight Star Wars

herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Critical Failures
So Fantasy Flight has the license to Star Wars now and they're planning on making a card game, a ship battles game, and a new RPG.

The card game is going to be co-op. I've never played a co-op card game so I guess that'll be interesting.

The ship game looks like a Star Wars skin of Wings of War, which I guess is cool, but I kinda would have preferred a more original game.

And I wonder if they are going to just reprint the Saga Edition books. IMO Saga Edition was pretty flawless so I don't know what they could really bring to the table.

steam_sig-400.png
herojoe on

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Yup, I was disappointed that the ship game really is just WoW, which I already have.
    Not sure how much it'll be just like it but they could've done something differently.
    I agree with your other comments.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I saw demo boxes for the miniatures game at PAX. Super psyched!

fwKS7.png?1
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    stever777 wrote:
    Yup, I was disappointed that the ship game really is just WoW, which I already have.
    Not sure how much it'll be just like it but they could've done something differently.

Well, I'm pretty sure that they're doing something differently by actually supporting it and releasing product past the base set.

And I may be mis-remembering but they havn't announced anything yet on the RPG front, just X-Wing and the card game.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    One of the reps did say they are planning an RPG. I'm just speculating as to what it could be.

And there were lots of WoW planes released after the base set.

steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote:
    And there were lots of WoW planes released after the base set.

Oh. Right. WoW, as in Wings of War. For some reason my brain farted and was thinking that other thing that uses the WoW acronym.

Not quite sure why, since mine didn't really fit the context.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ha yeah I feel weird typing WoW for Wings of War.

steam_sig-400.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote:
    And I wonder if they are going to just reprint the Saga Edition books. IMO Saga Edition was pretty flawless so I don't know what they could really bring to the table.

You silly goose.

Imma go ahead and assume you didn't like Saga Edition.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game_(West_End_Games)

Is the only true Starwars RPG. All others are imposters.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    herojoe wrote:

This.

SAGA isn't bad though. Can we all agree that SW D20 was an abomination?

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote:

They were fun to read, but I liked SAGA's ruleset a lot better.

Yeah, I think Saga was definitely a viable alternative to d6.

Doubt it would just get reprinted wholesale, though. They'd more than likely make a in-house system for it, maybe something like Warhammer FRPG 3e.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    herojoe wrote:

This.

SAGA isn't bad though. Can we all agree that SW D20 was an abomination?

Star Wars 3.5 was my favorite, but only because I destroyed our campaign when I got a critical hit on the Big Bad Level 25 Sith Lord when we were level 15 and ended the campaign right there. My GM cursed me and I had bad dice rolls for a year, but it was worth it.

With that said, I personally feel that Saga is probably the best balanced of the Star Wars RPGs. Its possible to break the system, but I've yet to encounter a character that felt useless to the campaign. Also, Star Wars 2nd Edition RPG is what got me into RPGs to start with. I still have my book, and I love it.

As for Fantasy Fight, I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with the Star Wars license for an RPG. I have some good memories of Midnight, so this could turn out pretty sweet.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • SweetdaddyGSweetdaddyG Lisburn, Northern IrelandRegistered User regular
    I liked Star Wars D20....wish Wizards had put a bit more oomph into it, or was it that Lucasfilm didnt like hasbro getting too big a slice of the star wars pie?

sweetdaddyg on Nintendo Network+Live/sweetdaddyg1 on PSN
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm happy with owning every Saga edition book. It coves all the major timelines in enough detail except for the NJO time period, and each book brings with it its own optional rules that feel meaningful. I would've liked more interconnection between the books, but whatever.

With that being said, I REALLY hope Fantasy Flight doesn't make a Star Wars RPG. I know that it would be hella good quality... But the FF price + Lucas Tax? I don't want to pay $100 for an RPG book just yet. The closest I've come to that is $75 for the KOTOR Saga edition book from my local gaming store after it became rare. Hell.. To be honest, I think Star Wars needs to cool its jets a little across all mediums. I know it isn't going to happen, but it would be nice.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I don't feel like Star Wars has had a really good non-rpg tabletop game though so I'm ready for it. Even if it is just Wings of War.

Also is Star Wars D20 the one that came out before Saga Edition? Yeah I didn't really care for that one.

steam_sig-400.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    herojoe wrote:
    I don't feel like Star Wars has had a really good non-rpg tabletop game though so I'm ready for it. Even if it is just Wings of War.

Also is Star Wars D20 the one that came out before Saga Edition? Yeah I didn't really care for that one.

From what I heard, the Queen's Gambit is actually pretty decent.

And, I dunno. A lot of the D20 books weren't amazing, but... I still liked the system better than D6. D6 was just so interesting to read, though...

I won't deny that at all. A lot of that stuff even became canon. Well, until George decided he wanted all of his toys back, but whatever.

steam_sig-400.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The RPG books filling out little bits of canon has been one of those lingering things about Star Wars. Even Saga got to add a bit of fiction to the line, mostly providing a ton of context for Legacy.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I don't feel like they used any of it though.

steam_sig-400.png
    The card game got delayed:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3043

I wonder what was bad about the original version.

steam_sig-400.png
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    I think it was the co-op element. It probably was too synonymous with the LoTR LCG so the game designers decided to return to the drawing board on the gameplay.

Game of thrones is pretty much a reskin of Call of Cthulhu though.

steam_sig-400.png
    I think it was the co-op element. It probably was too synonymous with the LoTR LCG so the game designers decided to return to the drawing board on the gameplay.

Come on, a Star Wars game where I don't get to cackle, "Your faith in your friends is your weakness" as I destroy all his allies is no game I want to play. :P

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    It's disappointing to hear that X-Wing is going to be a reskinned Wings of War. I want a big space battle game with lots of capital ships and fighters. Basically the Battle of Endor or Yavin IV (the space parts of it) or Homeworld Tabletop. I've tried Star Trek: Fleet Captains but it didn't scratch the right itch, plus I hate Star Trek as a setting. I'm still hoping for something epic from X-Wing and Fantasy Flight.

I don't mind so much that it's a reskin of Wings of War as I love Wings of War. I'm just sad to see that the box has one tie fighter, one X-Wing, and that's it. Apparently it will have some kind of scenario rules so that could be interesting.

As for a co-op game, I like Co-Op games and I've never seen a co-op card game so I think that could be interesting as well.

I'd really like to see them bring back the minis game since FF is against the blind purchase model. It would be great to just buy a pack of storm troopers and Darth Vader without flimsy lightsabers.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    herojoe wrote: »
    I don't mind so much that it's a reskin of Wings of War as I love Wings of War. I'm just sad to see that the box has one tie fighter, one X-Wing, and that's it. Apparently it will have some kind of scenario rules so that could be interesting.

As for a co-op game, I like Co-Op games and I've never seen a co-op card game so I think that could be interesting as well.

I'd really like to see them bring back the minis game since FF is against the blind purchase model. It would be great to just buy a pack of storm troopers and Darth Vader without flimsy lightsabers.

Elder Signs is a Co-Op card game based on the Arhkam Horror boardgame. In fact, it basically plays just like Arkham Horror only with cards instead of a board. Anyway, it is possible and can be a lot of fun.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Love what Fantasy flight did with warhammer fantasy roleplay. It will be interesting to see if they get that innovative with the star wars rgp.

• Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    Epic duel was a fun miniature-ish table-top game, with nice painted figures, cards and battleboard. I wish there would be a reworked version of it.

Some news:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22720.html

So it doesn't sound like it will be identical to WoW due to the dice. I don't like the sound of buying dice separately for an extra ten bucks, but maybe you won't have to use their fancy dice.

steam_sig-400.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone remember the old Star Warriors space combat game (by West End games I think?). It was a surprisingly detailed dog fight game.

Pilots got different amounts of dice to roll for skill checks. You could assign a crazy number of maneuvers to each ship each turn, but each maneuver had a difficulty value (lower for nimble ships, higher for sluggish ones) and if your pilot's skill failed to roll higher than the total difficulty that turn he'd fuck up and go out of control. It was a pretty crazy melee were it was possible for rookie pilots to take on aces, but the ace could run rings around them. Also interesting was watching aces in crappy ships take on rookies in good ships.

Got to try X-Wing out at Gen Con. It does borrow a lot from Wings of War, but actually adds a lot to it in the form of Pilot actions you can take after you move like focusing or using your targeting computer. You can also customize your ship with Proton Torpedoes, R2 Units, or even use different Pilots. I also like how the ship bases have little notches where you put the movement rulers. It's a hell of a lot better than using the cards in WoW.

I didn't get a chance to try out the card game or the RPG, but I did see that the RPG uses it's own dice. Something I've never seen an RPG do before.

steam_sig-400.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    More info about the RPG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=218&esem=1

Three rule books coming...each is its own core rulebook, but will compliment each other. What?

Custom Dice...interesting.

I do like the focus on the Rebellion era....always been my favorite. I'm interested to see how the third book (Force Users) handles that.

camo_sig2.png
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Woo! My copy arrived today. First impressions: Not a lot of art, but what's there is very pretty.