As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playbook now on sale for 199 in Canada. US too now

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
Edit: on sale in us too now.

16 gig 199
32 gig 299
64 gig 399

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/blackberry-tablets/31042.aspx?path=333fe11a03ec0c922315c0e8db41c892en01

Wondering if I should get this? How is the multitasking? Would I be buying into a tablet that may/will be dead very soon? Is this a fire sale?

I should add that I have an iPad 1 but have been unhappy with it's multitasking abilities (can only load 9 web pages at once and they always reload when switching windows --- mind you I haven't updated to IOS 5 yet) ... I use my iPad for surfing on the couch at home mostly.

Bamelin on

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

The price is very good but be careful what you are getting into. Even 6 months + into the devices life still feels like a beta test product. There are quite a few features promised "weeks after launch" that are still missing and the amount of bugs still around on a device as high profile as this is quite scary.

Ignoring all the bugs and promises RIM are going to fix, The Playbook is a really nice looking device. However the biggest problem ive found is the screen size is just too small for any tasks outside of media playback. Trying to type or web browse was just such a pain even compared to other 7-8 inch tablets. Multitasking was quite easy to do but I found it a jarring experience and reading all the reports on crashing the device I rarely risked having too much running on my device.

• Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate!

• Options
    I ended up buying. It's on backorder so I'll get in a couple weeks. Hopefully it's good!

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's probably not to bad of an idea. I'm not sure if/when we'll get the Kindle Fire which is kinda the same thing. If that was more certain I'd hold off.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Bamelin wrote:
    I ended up buying. It's on backorder so I'll get in a couple weeks. Hopefully it's good!

There's a DOSBox port for the Playbook, if that's your thing.

You can even use it to install Windows 3.1 on the Playbook so you can actually have a fully functional OS.
    zing!

All gripes aside, for $200 it's not the worst device in the world, and hopefully there will be more updates soon.

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2011
    Bamelin wrote:
    16 gig 199
    32 gig 299
    64 gig 399

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/blackberry-tablets/31042.aspx?path=333fe11a03ec0c922315c0e8db41c892en01

Wondering if I should get this? How is the multitasking? Would I be buying into a tablet that may/will be dead very soon? Is this a fire sale?

I should add that I have an iPad 1 but have been unhappy with it's multitasking abilities (can only load 9 web pages at once and they always reload when switching windows --- mind you I haven't updated to IOS 5 yet) ... I use my iPad for surfing on the couch at home mostly.

I realize you already bought the Playbook, but I have two questions here - Is there a reason you haven't updated to iOS 5 yet? Safari on iOS 5 adds traditional tabs and eschews the 9 'pages'.

Also, is there a reason you aren't using an alternative browser? Something like iCab Mobile will save old page states instead of forcing a reload ala Safari. This isn't actually a limitation of iOS's multitasking as you implied, but Safari's design to deal with the issue of limited available RAM on the device. Alternate browsers don't all follow this pattern.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    I actually just updated my phones to ios5 and will update my iPad shortly ... In truth I haven't kept up with what's happening on with ios but after installing ios5 on
    My phones I realize now this was a major upgrade.

I'll check out the browsers u mentioned. I just got so used to safari I hadn't bothered trying anything else ... I figured with ipad 1 ram issues other browsers would still have same problems ..

Looking forward to play book arriving. It's on sale in the us now too for those interested

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Dritz wrote:
    It's probably not to bad of an idea. I'm not sure if/when we'll get the Kindle Fire which is kinda the same thing. If that was more certain I'd hold off.

Kindle fire and nook tablet have less specs wise for same price (or more money) compared to playbook ... Also in Canada I'm sure we will get screwed content wise just like we do on Live. Content is the big reason to buy these 2 tabs in my opinion as they are heavily modified android reskins designed to push u to amazon or Barnes content. Canada amazon blows compared to us.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Isn't this the horrible thing where half the features only work when you have your blackberry with you, and there's no apps compared to even a generic chinese android thing?