As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:
    Okay, I've only just reached the first
    Deadfall wrote:
    There are definitely criers around. They cost 100 to bribe down 25%. There are also these courier guys that walk around with two armed guards you can kill for 50% off your meter.

Fun fact: After bribing a crier, you can pickpocket him to get your money back.

Just be sure to get out of there before he notices it's gone, or he'll pick a fistfight with you. Not that he can win, but still.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    mid game mission
    when you and the other assassin's are all running across the rooftop, it is so badass. then i saw that yusuf had beaten me to the waypoint. i decided to beat his ass and reloaded the memory. about 10 tries later i finally beat him. bastard was using the parachute to get ahead of me.

• Options
    zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Took me awhile to get used to Desmond's new look. Am I crazy for thinking he looks like he aged 5 years? And kinda got a suntan? Maybe some reconstruction surgery? Facial hair is fine and all, but this is a bit much.

I have also had They Might Be Giants "Istanbul" running through my head for 2 days.

Have had more bugs than any other AC game so far:
    Undying guard, justs gets back up again. I sent my assassins on him and he KILLED THEM INSTANTLY. Not cool.
    Saw a guard climb an invisible ladder upwards until he was completely out of sight. Maybe he is climbing even now.
    Stood between a haystack and fence and guards just jumped in circles around me, like a weird merry go round.
    Lots of normal citizens jumping out of everywhere. Saw some lady hop from from a two story bridge for no reason. O_o

I liked the Desmond segments, particularly the last two. Just wish there was more/something else after.

Spoilery bits, for whole game. So ya.
    The ministral mission cracked me up. Thought it was stupid at first, but the songs had me totally entertained.
    Yusuf NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Man. And I wasn't expecting it to be him either. He was such a freaking good character. Totally believable and likeable.
    I liked the way Altair's story was finalized. First walking into the library I didn't realize that the chair wasn't empty.
    So lots of revelations for the past, but not really for anything to come...?

zellychan on
    "I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't think I'm going to be able to get used to desmonds new look. It's too freaking distracting.

Though, old ezio actually looks like he was also changed accordingly; along with having aged. The placement of the eyes is different on him the way it is different on Desmond.

I have no clue why they felt the need to change them yet again. Particularly desmond. At least the 1 > 2/bro change was mild. The change in Rev seems completely unnecessary and I'm having a hard time seeing the point.

EDIT: Also why the hell does my 360 keep reading the dvd drive when I'm playing assrev even though its installed to the drive? No other game does this outside the initial load.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    funny, my friend says desmond got fatter

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    funny, my friend says desmond got fatter

I thought I was going crazy when I noticed this

he has spent most of his time on his ass

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Having not yet played Revelations, this is my theory on Desmond's new face
    Desmond looks fugly because they combined Desmond's face with Ezio's. In Brotherhood I kind of got the feeling that Desmond is starting lose grasp on his identity, thinking that what he's experienced as Ezio are things he's experienced himself. So he's kind of like, a hybrid of both. Maybe.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    Having not yet played Revelations, this is my theory on Desmond's new face
    Desmond looks fugly because they combined Desmond's face with Ezio's. In Brotherhood I kind of got the feeling that Desmond is starting lose grasp on his identity, thinking that what he's experienced as Ezio are things he's experienced himself. So he's kind of like, a hybrid of both. Maybe.

There was a Q&A session with the devs where a theory like this was brought up and they said people were reading too much into it, they just changed the faces to fit the new facial animation engine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I think reviewers are being way too hard on this game. I only started playing today, but I can already tell I'm going to love it as much as II and Brotherhood.

Just because it doesn't add much to the existing mechanics doesn't make those mechanics less fun. Yes, it's probably going to be another big hub world where you purchase shops, hire assassins, steal Templar treasure and navigate around underground caves, but so what? Never was it stated this was ACIII, and I feel the mechanic works just fine for an annual series.

However, the story is something to be disappointed about if it turns out not to advance much of the main plot, or create acceptable closure for Ezio. From what I've heard, it doesn't sound like he's going to be placed under a microwave (that's a metaphor, not an actual outcome I was expecting).

I'm also hoping that (Brotherhood spoilers, early game spoilers)
    they're still screwing with you about Lucy being confirmed dead and buried.

I'd hate for her to be written off like that. She was pretty much Desmond's hook for even doing all of this; not necessarily because of romance, but because she was his emotional anchor. Without her, who's going to motivate him to proceed further? Subject 16? He isn't even played by Cam Clarke anymore.

Plus, there had to have been a reason that he was forced to stab her....

Now, the multiplayer though, is as rage-worthy as ever.

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

CONTRACT LOST

1269196501_1.jpg

• Options
    My problem with the story is that it is too divided. In AC2 it was straight forward "I'm out for revenge, get info on and then killing my enemies". Brotherhood's got the Cesare story and rebuilding the brotherhood becomes part of it. In Revelations it's like they combined the two, but the missions are totally separate and it really breaks up the story. I felt like everything I did with the assassins had very little bearing on my finding the keys, and finding the keys did not change my relationship with the assassins or the city.

"I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I just started playing it today and... Sequence 1 really bored me. I finished it, re-did the one part that I'd only gotten 50% on and basically turned it off. I don't know, maybe it's because the
    Desmond part just seems completely and utterly boring. It might get better later on but at this point, compared to being on the run from the Templars in the last two games, it just seems very dull and pointless. And I'm annoyed Lucy did actually die. I <3 Veronica Mars.

I find the changes to Desmond weird too but if they're going to make these changes, how about applying them to the flashbacks as well? As it is, it only makes the changes WAY more noticeable. Very inconsistent.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Just finished Brotherhood. Holy shit what a good game.

• Options
    :whistle: the things I do to save the world
    surprise me from time to time
    like learning how to play the lute
    and making these words rhyme :whistle:

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh wow I do not like the first person Desmond sections at all.

I do have a full roster of Master Assassins, though, in sequence 3.

Also, hahahahaha (sequence 3 I think spoilers.)
    Where you poison the guards for the Romanies to make them think the chest is cursed? Hahaha, oh man, when you carry the chest yourself and the guards all go screaming in terror. Brilliant.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I can not recruit any new assassins because i can not take out templar dens.

Holy shit a billion guards and I just cant get anything done with those damn riflemen.

I think I may take break from the story (stories?) for a bit, and just focus on getting better at the dens and getting some assassistants....

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    zellychan wrote:
    My problem with the story is that it is too divided. In AC2 it was straight forward "I'm out for revenge, get info on and then killing my enemies". Brotherhood's got the Cesare story and rebuilding the brotherhood becomes part of it. In Revelations it's like they combined the two, but the missions are totally separate and it really breaks up the story. I felt like everything I did with the assassins had very little bearing on my finding the keys, and finding the keys did not change my relationship with the assassins or the city.

I can completely agree with this. I think I'm in sequence 3 or 4 and I really no have no concept of the main plot other than I need to find some keys I guess.

It really needs a villain I guess. Like how DA:O had no real villain and my enjoyment of the narrative suffered for it. I need to put a hidden blade in the throat of a giant cockbag.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Wow, these tower defense bits suck dick. As some others have mentioned, with an actual, tactical, top down view, they might be good. But I sure as shit don't want to do them anymore.

Everything else seems fine, but I think I'm done playing the same game 3 years in a row. I understand that I am an anomaly in that I don't constantly want something that I've liked before, but I like to wait. I like to delay my joy, especially when it comes to video games. Oh well.

• Options
    Yeah, I've only done 3 or 4 tower defense bits. After that I decided I'd do my best to avoid them coming up at all. Just renovate a few places, and when the templar awareness thing comes up, bribe a few heralds and kill a few officials to bring it back down. Meanwhile, keep leveling up your assassistants. Once you assign one to a den and level him up to 15, you won't have to do a den defense on that one anymore.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Oh, I'm doing that as much as possible before getting into too many more shenanigans. Because I would rather climb tall towers and stab 15 dudes in the neck then sit on a goddamn roof playing a shitty TD game.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:
    Okay, so I sent one of my first assassins on a mission with an 'unknown' time estimate, is there something I have to do to get him to finish it? Because It's been a couple of hours at least, and he's still out there.

He comes back
    pretty much around the end of Sequence 3. Keep trucking through the campaign and he's back.

So, what I thought was interesting is that if you plant Assassins in your conquered cities, not only does that dramatically reduce the rate your control of said city goes down, it also frees up slots for you to hire more assassins. Since there are around 10 or so cities, and you can plant at most 5 a city, that leaves a lot of room for recruiting.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    So, what I thought was interesting is that if you plant Assassins in your conquered cities, not only does that dramatically reduce the rate your control of said city goes down, it also frees up slots for you to hire more assassins. Since there are around 10 or so cities, and you can plant at most 5 a city, that leaves a lot of room for recruiting.
    Wait, what? I completely missed a mechanic somehow. How do you install an assassin in a city?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote:
    Wait, what? I completely missed a mechanic somehow. How do you install an assassin in a city?

It's in the same screen where you select a city -- before actually viewing the available city missions.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    JonBob wrote:

When you go to Mediterranean Defense, press X/Square when you highlight a city you captured on the city list BEFORE you open the list said city has for missions. If you complete the "Install an Assassin's Den" mission, you can install additional ones. I had one city start with 2 and now it's filled to the brim with 5.

Quick tip: Doing this for your first Assassin will make the change semi-irreversible. What this means is that if you install an assassin into a city that previously had none before, it will REQUIRE you to have one assassin in there at all times. You can swap out the one you have in for another, sure, but it will still need one. If you have two or more, you don't need two at all times, just one.

Apparently, if you install a Master Assassin into a different city, they are still a Den's Leader. Whether or not this prevents the Den from being captured I have no idea.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    zellychan wrote:

I can completely agree with this. I think I'm in sequence 3 or 4 and I really no have no concept of the main plot other than I need to find some keys I guess.

It really needs a villain I guess. Like how DA:O had no real villain and my enjoyment of the narrative suffered for it. I need to put a hidden blade in the throat of a giant cockbag.

don't be discouraged, the game just starts slow and the story takes its sweet time to build up

it gets stronger in the middle memories, then suddenly gets fuck-awesome around Sequence 7 and doesn't let go for the rest of the game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I also wanted to point out that the platforming segment to get the 1st key just screams Uncharted.

This is not a complaint.

• Options
    So I feel like I'm missing something on the tower defense game.

No, I don't want to hear about how much you think it sucks. :( I do have a question though about upgrading.

Do you have to unlock it or something? I noticed I can upgrade the barriers, twice actually; but despite a tooltip saying otherwise I can't upgrade any of the assassin's I place on roofs. I've unlocked a bunch of new units but yeah. Even if I load up every available slot on roofs with units they all attack way too damn slow to manage to kill everything without me relying on the cannon shots. And the "boss" will just walk through everything without taking hardly any damage. Which leads me to conclude that I should be able to upgrade units but I'll be damned if the game lets me. It says to put my cursor on a unit and select upgrade, but there's no option. There's only recall assassin. Also I simply can't place greek flamethrowers anywhere. It just won't let me. Not on roofs not on barriers, nothing. Whats the deal with them?

Do I have to play more into the game for this? I'm between Sequence 2/3 and have just been spending hours unlocking all the districts and buying all the shops. I haven't even gotten to where I can recruit assassin's or make bombs even though I can buy/sell the parts now. o_O

• Options
    Alright, cannons can't be beat. It's fucking bullshit. Your cannon shots don't do a damn thing and nothing I have, no archers, gunmen anything do enough damage to hurt it before it can destroy my base. There has to be a way to upgrade units but I'll be damned if I see a way.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been so anal retentive about keeping my notoriety down in the other games that I'm not really worried about running into the tower defense too much

Like, the slightest bit of red was too much for me

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I've been so anal retentive about keeping my notoriety down in the other games that I'm not really worried about running into the tower defense too much

I'm the same way, but one of the Assassin's Guild achievements is to participate in 3 TD's, so....yeah.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So is there something weird about downloading the PS3 exclusive stuff? I entered my code and it seemed like it worked, but unless it downloaded instantly I don't see it anywhere and it's not showing up in my downloads. Does anyone know if I have to go through Uplay or something?

Edit: I don't know if it's PS3 exclusive stuff or just general Signature edition stuff.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Well, the Signature Stuff on the 360 is a Multiplayer skin (haven't looked at it yet), a mission (somewhere in the game), and a weapon at the end of that mission.

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    Well, the Signature Stuff on the 360 is a Multiplayer skin (haven't looked at it yet), a mission (somewhere in the game), and a weapon at the end of that mission.

Actually I may just be crazy and or dumb since it looks like it did download, assuming the Vlad the Impaler tomb is the extra mission.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Deadfall wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

I'm the same way, but one of the Assassin's Guild achievements is to participate in 3 TD's, so....yeah.

I used to stab mans until the game gave me a running man to stab to make it go away.
    I'm going to be in trouble.

In fact, I just realised, if this seriously affects my habit of running around picking fights I'm going to be annoyed. It's the thing I like about these games and limiting my free, unfettered enjoyment of it is a sure fire way to make sure I don't play it. Not until it comes down to nearly nothing anyway.

Of course, if defending a den actually requires a good fight.....I used to deliberately make a mess so I'd get strike teams in prototype or hulk ultimate destruction. It was a loop.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I listening to the latest giantbomb and ryan said that instead of doing the tower defense shit he just let the templars take the tower back. Afterward he just went back with his merry band of Assassins and shanked dudes to take the tower back. He says it's way less time and effort that way.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So I feel like I'm missing something on the tower defense game.

No, I don't want to hear about how much you think it sucks. :( I do have a question though about upgrading.

Do you have to unlock it or something? I noticed I can upgrade the barriers, twice actually; but despite a tooltip saying otherwise I can't upgrade any of the assassin's I place on roofs. I've unlocked a bunch of new units but yeah. Even if I load up every available slot on roofs with units they all attack way too damn slow to manage to kill everything without me relying on the cannon shots. And the "boss" will just walk through everything without taking hardly any damage. Which leads me to conclude that I should be able to upgrade units but I'll be damned if the game lets me. It says to put my cursor on a unit and select upgrade, but there's no option. There's only recall assassin. Also I simply can't place greek flamethrowers anywhere. It just won't let me. Not on roofs not on barriers, nothing. Whats the deal with them?

Do I have to play more into the game for this? I'm between Sequence 2/3 and have just been spending hours unlocking all the districts and buying all the shops. I haven't even gotten to where I can recruit assassin's or make bombs even though I can buy/sell the parts now. o_O

Units can't be upgraded, unfortunately. Greek Flamethrowers is a standalone barrier, just like others, it just has a flamethrower attached to the side of it. You have to place it down as an entirely new barrier rather than adding it to an existing one.

Another thing I found out about installing Assassins into other cities for Mediterranean Conquest; if you press X/Square again when you're choosing a mission a city has, you can use Assassins based in the city you're completing missions for, making it so much more easier for you to spread your forces. With all my cities having 5 Assassins per, I almost always have control at 100%.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    Having now played both the 360 and PS3 version in 3D, I am mad.

There is a very clear difference in quality between the 2 running in 3D. The resolution drop on the 360 is downright yucky, while the PS3 seems have little-to-no drop at all and less screen tearing in 3D.

Also some textures are sharper on the PS3 and the lighting isn't as over-saturated like it is on the 360.

In short: :x

• Options
    Stalkers are cool and annoying at the same time. I like the idea that someone might suddenly sneak attack me, but I swear it happens at the worst times. One time I had to restart a tailing mission because I had to stab my stalker, alerting the guards and my target.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    :whistle: the things I do to save the world
    surprise me from time to time
    like learning how to play the lute
    and making these words rhyme :whistle:

I'm midway through sequence 4 and this is already one of my favorite missions in the entire franchise. "Minstrels from Italia! I'm going to enjoy this..."

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Question for those who beat this on what direction AC3 will be taking
    So is it going to be the French Revolution? I don't want any ending spoilers from Revelations beyond that.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    I listening to the latest giantbomb and ryan said that instead of doing the tower defense shit he just let the templars take the tower back. Afterward he just went back with his merry band of Assassins and shanked dudes to take the tower back. He says it's way less time and effort that way.

That definitely seems like a good way to go. Although one time I had to deal with a cowardly templar leader who somehow kept spotting me and successfully escaping three times in a row. That was annoying.