As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Alternatively: Having that many people in zone could make for some wicked awesome PVP battles if they upgraded their server architecture.

Edit: If they were going to go F2P, they'd have to drop the horrible P2W pack system they've got now, and work out something else. Because to my knowledge, that'd be a first for P2P to F2P MMO's to have something like that, and I doubt it'd go over well.

I don't think EA is the type to drop one potential cash cow feature for another.

Archonex on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    WAAAGH

Apparently the next beta test opens tomorrow. I gave up on it long before that, as it has the strategic depth of a puddle and is less fun to play in; let's give it another go anyways.

Oh, and they're test the currencies. No idea if that will give us an accurate idea of launch prices, but there you go.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    Today starts the open beta prequel. Client is ~800mb. Game will be F2P

You can login with your bf:h/swtor/origin account. Sign up and download the client right away.

https://wrathofheroes.warhammeronline.com/ or via http://www.bioware.com/ and click on warhammer - wrath of heroes

We are getting ready to begin a new chapter in Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes this weekend: The Open Beta prequel. The time has come to lead your heroes into battle, to train him for his new life (that’s right, no more wipes intended) and it's all starting tomorrow. The servers will open on Wednesday, March 21st at 4pm EDT (8pm GMT) and will be available until Tuesday, March 27th at 10am EDT (2pm GMT).

With everything needed for Open Beta in place, now is the time to do the final test before we’ll open the servers around the clock. Let’s take a look at what's ahead:

New Hero Line-Up: You have selected them with your feedback and votes and here they are. These follwoing five heroes will be the foundation of Wrath of Heroes.
    Free heroes: Aessa, Ilanya, Volrik
    Additional heroes: Glowgob, Ikkrik
    While these five are our initial line-up, they’ll soon be joined by more heroes, known and unknown to our Closed Beta testers. After the harsh selection process of the past weeks, the amount of available heroes will now start to grow again and it’s not going to stop.

More store functionality: Our in-game store has upgraded its offers. Chests and boosts have arrived and the store now accepts gems as well as gold. Gems can be bought online and are a nice shortcut to your next hero or skin.
    Please note: Your gems will be preserved through Open Beta. Though we may need to give you back your gems to account for any hero changes, any money spent will be maintained in your account.

Beta Tester Rewards: We want to reward our loyal Beta players based on their level of participation. In this beta, we have credited the accounts with varying amounts of gold, depending on player's participation in the beta. This way, our Beta testers will be able to afford items on the store right out of the gate!
    Please note: Although we hope to not need to do it again, if for some reason we need to wipe again, we will ensure this reward is maintained so that Beta testers will have gold right from the start when we go into Open Beta.

New UI: Our UI overhaul continued. Check out the new look in-game and enjoy the easy selection of owned masteries.

Augment your Reward Spinner: In addition to the existing challenges (win the scenario, capture a certain amount of flags, …) in the scenarios that help you to unlock more reels, we have added three tasks which keep cumulating over the life time of your account. To complete one of them, you might have to do a certain amount of damage or use a set amount of perks. As soon as you have finished one, you can turn it in at the end of a scenario to unlock an additional reel, and get your next one.

Join us in this last gated test and help us to ensure that Open Beta is coming.

See you on the battlefields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPEo9yjkPA

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I actually played the main game recently.

I don't remember how to fight apparently.

It seems like consolidating the population has worked well enough. BUT I'VE BEEN HURT BY YOU TOO MANY TIMES WAR.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh lord that looks, ugh. Gnaaaa.

Why.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Heh.

Gotta love it when everyone's playing the free classes, and you're the only one who has the gobbo healer because you had a ton of gold saved up from playing in beta a lot. :3

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2012
    tricon wrote: »

You can login with your bf:h/swtor/origin account. Sign up and download the client right away.

https://wrathofheroes.warhammeronline.com/ or via http://www.bioware.com/ and click on warhammer - wrath of heroes

We are getting ready to begin a new chapter in Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes this weekend: The Open Beta prequel. The time has come to lead your heroes into battle, to train him for his new life (that’s right, no more wipes intended) and it's all starting tomorrow. The servers will open on Wednesday, March 21st at 4pm EDT (8pm GMT) and will be available until Tuesday, March 27th at 10am EDT (2pm GMT).

With everything needed for Open Beta in place, now is the time to do the final test before we’ll open the servers around the clock. Let’s take a look at what's ahead:

New Hero Line-Up: You have selected them with your feedback and votes and here they are. These follwoing five heroes will be the foundation of Wrath of Heroes.
    While these five are our initial line-up, they’ll soon be joined by more heroes, known and unknown to our Closed Beta testers. After the harsh selection process of the past weeks, the amount of available heroes will now start to grow again and it’s not going to stop.

More store functionality: Our in-game store has upgraded its offers. Chests and boosts have arrived and the store now accepts gems as well as gold. Gems can be bought online and are a nice shortcut to your next hero or skin.
    Please note: Your gems will be preserved through Open Beta. Though we may need to give you back your gems to account for any hero changes, any money spent will be maintained in your account.

Beta Tester Rewards: We want to reward our loyal Beta players based on their level of participation. In this beta, we have credited the accounts with varying amounts of gold, depending on player's participation in the beta. This way, our Beta testers will be able to afford items on the store right out of the gate!
    Please note: Although we hope to not need to do it again, if for some reason we need to wipe again, we will ensure this reward is maintained so that Beta testers will have gold right from the start when we go into Open Beta.

New UI: Our UI overhaul continued. Check out the new look in-game and enjoy the easy selection of owned masteries.

Augment your Reward Spinner: In addition to the existing challenges (win the scenario, capture a certain amount of flags, …) in the scenarios that help you to unlock more reels, we have added three tasks which keep cumulating over the life time of your account. To complete one of them, you might have to do a certain amount of damage or use a set amount of perks. As soon as you have finished one, you can turn it in at the end of a scenario to unlock an additional reel, and get your next one.

I look at that and all I can think is that if they took the all effort and resources it took to make a spinoff game of the actual game, and put it into making the actual game, it'd be something awesome.

I really couldn't care about the actual combat elements at this point. Especially not in a sort of "Counterstrike" fast respawn closed match environment like what that offers. That's not what WAR was about. It was about rolling around with massive armies and tearing shit up, sieging other peoples cities, tearing down and building up fortresses for your kingdom, building your city up, and generally, shitting in other peoples milkshakes while keeping them from shitting in yours.

If I wanted to bask in awesome combat, i'd do it in a better game, like Tera, or TOR. Which actually put a shit-ton of money into developing their respective games.

It's kind of sad, really. It's like EA and the developers don't even know what makes their own game awesome. Which is puzzling, since the stuff I mentioned up above was advertised as the selling point of the game prior to and at release.

On that note, has the actual game gotten any significant content updates recently? Checking their forums says that the home page was down for somewhere between 1 to 6 months. Which is why they have that weird blog-like homepage now. It also is kind of a pain to navigate.

Archonex on
    The game is awful.

Check the thread if you don't believe: I was one of the few people willing to give this a chance, and they botched it up in a rather spectacular fashion.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The game is awful.

Check the thread if you don't believe: I was one of the few people willing to give this a chance, and they botched it up in a rather spectacular fashion.

Which one? The MMO, or the fast paced action game? I'm not sure which one you're referring too.

WAR, last I played it, wasn't beyond saving. It's just that between whoever is in charge of the game refusing to make it fully F2P with a cash shop option (Something that's proven to be very profitable for active games. And dead ones too, come to think of it.), the greater whole of the team getting laid off or cannibalized to work on SWTOR, and the obvious lack of care and funding by EA, it didn't seem to be making much progress in getting back on its feet in the greater market.

The action game looks...Meh. The instanced content was probably my least favorite part of WAR. Adding a fast paced "FPS" spin to it only makes it worse and ignores why so many people despised it in the first place. There was very little "war" in the scenarios, and they tended to be skewed by class participation giving an edge to one side or another.

Of course, Warhammer Online could have gotten worse since I lasted played it about a year ago. I was one of the ones playing from the start, and watching bad decision after bad decision was really something to behold. But they did seem to be slowly about to turn things around a bit on the open PVP front around the time I quit.

Of course, then I heard about the action game and I figured that Warhammer Online was officially put on life-support for good. Either it's a success, and Warhammer Online gets sidelined by some sort of F2P gimmick game, or it's a failure and both games are screwed over by the misplacement of resources into a spin-off game.

Archonex on
    I'm referring to Wrath of Heroes.

The tragedy of WAR is that, deep down, there is a worthwhile game there. We can talk all day if it was Mythic just dropping the ball, EA rushing them out the door, or whatever. The game's core was not bad.

It's too late now. For starters, the F2P gambit isn't as successful as you think. In many cases you see a brief influx of cash, and then things slowly taper off. This is mainly because the market now has a glut of F2P MMOs, and consumers only have so much free time. Is it a bad idea? I don't think it'd do any active harm, but WAR would still just be a tragic story of wasted potential.

Also, the game is old. Even WoW looks better than WAR at this point simply because it can afford to update the graphics and hire actual art people. If Mythic still has art people, they're probably extremely limited. I know looks aren't everything, but the game also runs like ass and graphics are advertising. The game is also approaching its fourth birthday, and has little to show for it. We're literally talking about one content patch a year. I think the game has been in patch 1.4.X since November of 2010. Oh, and two of the four content patches were simply adding in shit that was cut from launch.

Wrath of Heroes is just irredeemably awful. It's obvious that they have no idea what they're doing. Take out the good bits of WAR and add boring stuff. I have no idea what to say about it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I'm tempted to try the trial for this game? much fun to be had or is it an utter deadzone now? I wanna get into it

• tricontricon Registered User regular
    The game is awful.

So true after playing Wrath for the first time yesterday. 3 factions make sense in the main Warhammer game but not in this scenario/battleground game.
    Why did the add another currency for Wrath and not use the one from the other F2P EA Titles?

Yuck seems totalbiscuit was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfPe8haloA

Even the older F2P titles like Battlefield:Heroes are better. Hm. bioware. :shock:

edited March 2012
    I'm referring to Wrath of Heroes.

The tragedy of WAR is that, deep down, there is a worthwhile game there. We can talk all day if it was Mythic just dropping the ball, EA rushing them out the door, or whatever. The game's core was not bad.

It's too late now. For starters, the F2P gambit isn't as successful as you think. In many cases you see a brief influx of cash, and then things slowly taper off. This is mainly because the market now has a glut of F2P MMOs, and consumers only have so much free time. Is it a bad idea? I don't think it'd do any active harm, but WAR would still just be a tragic story of wasted potential.

Also, the game is old. Even WoW looks better than WAR at this point simply because it can afford to update the graphics and hire actual art people. If Mythic still has art people, they're probably extremely limited. I know looks aren't everything, but the game also runs like ass and graphics are advertising. The game is also approaching its fourth birthday, and has little to show for it. We're literally talking about one content patch a year. I think the game has been in patch 1.4.X since November of 2010. Oh, and two of the four content patches were simply adding in shit that was cut from launch.

Wrath of Heroes is just irredeemably awful. It's obvious that they have no idea what they're doing. Take out the good bits of WAR and add boring stuff. I have no idea what to say about it.

Most games that have gone F2P have been careful to update the game heavily around the F2P period so as to give incentives for sticking around. Also, regular cash shop fluff items and content updates are needed.

Cryptic are quite frankly masters at this, to use them as an example. STO went from a mediocre to decent game with a middling population that was slowly falling (Much like WAR's appears to be, currently.), to one that is positively booming at all hours and is raking in money by the vault. This was mostly due to them timing a ton of stuff to make the game much more accessible to people, and releasing a ton of updates that greatly expanded on the gameplay in vastly re-playable ways.

Actually, I can't think of a game outside of CO (But that's a special case.) that didn't make money, and still isn't making money, hand over fist lately. Age of Conan is raking in the big bucks still last I checked. STO is quite frankly a huge money maker. CO is somehow still pulling its weight, though it's not excelling. And DCUO is apparently bringing in an insane number of people. So many, in fact, that they managed to amp development up to release 2 to 3 game updates within a month at one point.

Warhammer Online isn't past the point where they could do this, though it may be getting close. All it takes is a "free to play" option that doesn't cap you off at a certain level and a huge content update, and they could turn things around developmentally.

The actual gameplay of WAR gives it an edge, too. Unlike most games where you do the PVE content and everything is over with, WAR benefits from a gameplay system that is focused around player interaction on a massive scale. Something which there really isn't any modern competition out to compete against at the moment. Both of these things gives it quite a bit of re-playability. Funding from going F2P could easily expand that for a metric ton of re-playability on top of what is already there, if they knew what they're doing.

It's if you botch the F2P release that you need to be worried. CO did this thanks to Atari aggressively dicking Cryptic over to try and turn them into a bad property to hand off to Perfect World (After they had bought it.) during their latter days, and it showed. They're only now getting to the stuff that was supposed to make CO a smash hit F2P game.

Thing is, i'm not sure there's anyone left on the team to do this. It seems there's a skeleton crew of maybe a dozen or so people left, maybe not even that, on the actual development team. The rest of the staff is dedicated to keeping the thing running from day to day.

Also, Warhammer actually can be a fairly pretty game. It still beats out WoW at least. The catch is that you can't do anything to make it like that from inside the game itself. For some reason the game has a ton of options when it comes to visual effects that are not selectable in game at all. That includes making textures not look like a pile of ass. Especially equippable trophies, which last time I was in game appeared to default to the lowest quality texture setting in game even if you were running on the highest quality textures.

This is pretty goddamned stupid. I had to spend about a day screwing with the .ini, and messing with my Nvidia control panel. When I did though, i'd say it looked about as good as SWTOR did prior to 1.2. Not many computers could run it like that at the time, though. Heck, not many computers could run it on the in-game settings at the time, thanks to their shitty method of rendering shadows.

If you ever wondered, back in the day, why you started to chug heavily going into the Empire T2 Forest zone, it's because they rendered shadows on everything using an inefficient method. Put your character in a giant, shady forest, and this starts to stress things. Further complicating this is their method of creating them. If you had certain models of cards, the shadows would appear as square blocks overlaid over each other instead of as smooth shadows.

Edit: That Totalbiscuit review is absolutely brutal. I'm way too used to him being cheerily/Britishly enthusiastic about MMO's.

Archonex on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really suprised GW lets them have the Warhammer licence still.
    Still you ahve a point with Conan and a lot of other games hat have gone free to play with cash options why they did not go that route is rather odd

edited March 2012
    Mythic still has it because it's still making some cash. And I'm guessing that GW won't be working on another Warhammer MMO for some time.

I actually disagree with TB's impressions of the game. It has little to do with the hotkey MMORPG gameplay, and everything to do with terrible skill design, bad maps, and blah everything in general. This is not a bad idea, but Mythic did a terrible job with the execution.

EDIT: Actually, he does raise some of those issue. Either way, he reaches the same conclusion as I: avoid that game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2012
    GW actually sold the rights to a Warhammer 40K MMO to THQ. The few videos they released made it seem pretty awesome. Like what this game was supposed to be in fact, but larger.

I distinctly recall Titans making an appearance, and it seemed like they were trying to model the "Epic" tabletop version. Since that's pretty much the only way you can have Warhounds and other sizes up appear without them being massively imbalanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9By9eiM7U

It also appeared to feature all the chaos factions (Playable, possibly, too.), going off word from an internal press conference. So it avoids the big issue Warhammer Online did with the evil factions. Not showing them at their worst.

No clue what happened to it, though. Word is THQ might have shut it down due to some sort of unknown budget issues. That was a rumor when I heard about it, though. Looking at their stock worth around the time the "all titles in 2014 have been canceled" announcement, their stock went from about $6 to $.66 in one year. So it's not that hard to believe, though THQ has said that the MMO may not actually be canceled as of yet.

Given how often Warhammer gets shit on by bad luck with companies, it's no wonder GW is so insanely protective of the license.

Archonex on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    yowch when Totalbiscuit is nothing but shitting on a game's beta, you can be sure its awful

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I grabbed the trial version of this

I rock a White Lion, level 7 as of now.

I pretty much get shat on by a lot of things, and am questioning continuing but dammit I still want to. What should I concentrate on, because it seems I have a very pedestrian set of warrior abilities albeit with "hit them from the side or back" things and a fluffy ol' cat. I just want a big old halberd and resistance to terrible frequent death

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I wish this game was real f2p
    because i have trouble finding any real differences between mmos aside from art style
    and man i love warhammer style

Just fyi, but the 40k MMO is dead. They're still working on a game, but they're basically going to take what they have and turn it into something that basically isn't an MMO.

As for WAR, the game is still patched and gets some changes here and there, but it hasn't had a major content patch since November 2010.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Have the 40K rights found a home yet, or are they still floating around out there in "please buy me" land ?

Uh, the rights are with Virgil Games. I doubt Workshop is even shopping around for another MMO after this recent cockup and WAR.

YL9WnCY.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Uh, the rights are with Virgil Games. I doubt Workshop is even shopping around for another MMO after this recent cockup and WAR.

I honestly want them to just make a 40K tabletop experience game, a real tactical army thing with multiplayer, rather then another DoW or an MMO. It'll never happen though. Too much money in plastic miniatures and paint.

488W936.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is Age of Reckoning ever going to go F2P? Surely they're not depending on Wrath of Heroes to get them out of their slump. Shoulda been using this time to improve the game that's actually out.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Probably not. The game is probably technically profitable right now with a skeleton crew, so they're just going to milk that as long as possible.

liEt3nH.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This feels dirty, but as a huge fan of Warhammer (and DAOC) I wanted to throw out here that GW2 is where I'll be getting my next fix on pvp. It feels a lot better. If there are any Candymancers still browsing here who aren't already on the GW2 boat, hit up the candymancer forums! -Love Umarth. (Signed only because apparently half the mancers didn't know Umarth was Darkewolfe).

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This feels dirty, but as a huge fan of Warhammer (and DAOC) I wanted to throw out here that GW2 is where I'll be getting my next fix on pvp. It feels a lot better. If there are any Candymancers still browsing here who aren't already on the GW2 boat, hit up the candymancer forums! -Love Umarth. (Signed only because apparently half the mancers didn't know Umarth was Darkewolfe).

What about TSW, huh?

fwKS7.png?1
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    TSW is an adventure game primarily, in my opinion. I like it for what it is, but I'm not going to it for super awesome combat, especially pvp. GW2 has great combat and pvp.

What is this I don't even.
    Rift's new Conquest mode is looking sexy, too. Havn't had a chance to check it out, always log on between matches.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I guess WAR is still making a profit? To be perfectly blunt, going to F2P isn't a magic bullet, and a lot of games only experience a brief (but intense) increase in revenue after going free to play. You have to handle the transition right, and the system has to be solid. Honestly, I don't see much inherent risk in taking WAR free-to-play if only because the brand name is big enough to attract attention.

Also, I think a free-to-play model would serve a PC version of Warhammer/40k quite well. Shit, Magic Online is doing just fine, and they sell the digital cards at the same price as the physical ones. They would have to a serious racket going on to be making more money off physical models alone. Personally, I think they're just stubborn.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    EQ2 also has been doing great F2P. I have spent much more on micro-transactions for outfits and appearance items than the game itself.

What can I say, I like to be fashionable. :3

• vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    Does any one still play this game? If so do we have a guild in it?

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Archonex wrote: »
    tricon wrote: »

I look at that and all I can think is that if they took the all effort and resources it took to make a spinoff game of the actual game, and put it into making the actual game, it'd be something awesome.

I really couldn't care about the actual combat elements at this point. Especially not in a sort of "Counterstrike" fast respawn closed match environment like what that offers. That's not what WAR was about. It was about rolling around with massive armies and tearing shit up, sieging other peoples cities, tearing down and building up fortresses for your kingdom, building your city up, and generally, shitting in other peoples milkshakes while keeping them from shitting in yours.

If I wanted to bask in awesome combat, i'd do it in a better game, like Tera, or TOR. Which actually put a shit-ton of money into developing their respective games.

It's kind of sad, really. It's like EA and the developers don't even know what makes their own game awesome. Which is puzzling, since the stuff I mentioned up above was advertised as the selling point of the game prior to and at release.

On that note, has the actual game gotten any significant content updates recently? Checking their forums says that the home page was down for somewhere between 1 to 6 months. Which is why they have that weird blog-like homepage now. It also is kind of a pain to navigate.

Reminder that the devs didn't even intend to put castles and fortresses in the game at first, instead opting to only have those control points in random areas. The sieging and castles and forts was stuff they added later due to feedback from early testers... They had no idea what they wanted to do with the game and so it came out a watered down mess.

The whole clusterfuck of a development process is documented on the net though (and prob in this thread) so I won't bring all of it up again.

I will always be sad that they bungled up WAR, though. The setting is ripe for a good MMO concept and it still surprises me to this day how much they screwed up...everything.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I cannot say more
    I know that my shadow hunter getting lost behind the lines and the unhelpful GMS I dealt with and to the point where I had no idea what I was doing with my magus

I wonder if GW pulls the linence would someone do a better job? I know the world is not hungry for MMOS right now

Honestly, I really do miss playing my Witch Hunter. Was the only time I actually enjoyed playing a sneaky-bastard-type in a MMO. Or enjoyed PvPing in a MMO.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I cannot say more
    I know that my shadow hunter getting lost behind the lines and the unhelpful GMS I dealt with and to the point where I had no idea what I was doing with my magus

I wonder if GW pulls the linence would someone do a better job? I know the world is not hungry for MMOS right now
    They could make a lot with a MOBA.

Er...

They could make a lot with a MOBA that isn't dog shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    WARHAMMER's selling point is its overwhelming sense of immersive narrative style, and WAR handled that part very effectively. Only STAR WARS does anything close among other MMO's.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    This is a bit of a necro isn't it? Unless something new happened? Well anyways, I really liked WAR actually. But then my altitis kept me out of tier 4 for months.

What killed it for a lot of people was, being a pvp mmo, tons of people powered through the pve content to work on pvp and the 'endgame'. Only the 'endgame' wasn't really in any functional state (between exploits that let you take cities in an hour and bugs that wouldn't let you in period) for like SIX MONTHS. I could list a billion things they did that brought it on, but let's just say there wasn't a single cause for those issues, but rather a mucky muck of bad ideas (not mirroring classes, not thinking the whole keep/fort thing through, huge bugs with the city raids). Also, and I know some people make a face at this, but their pve was crap and yes that DID matter. Usually when something is wonky with pvp in most mmos, what do the players go do while they wait? Some pve, at least for a little while. If that's crap they just don't log on period.

I mean I've basically done primarily pvp characters in WAR, TOR, Champions, CoX (that din't last long), ect. TOR and Champions, any other complaints (and I DO have a lot about Champs) aside, when the pvp is 'broken' for however long (again, in Champs it would be broken for MONTHS) I just did some pve. It's not my primary source of enjoyment, but it's there, and it's something to do while I wait. TOR's pve is pretty good, so I don't really mind that. Champs is mostly mindless, but with a few fun spots, enough back when to keep me occupied at least.

Point is, if WAR's pvp was broken for a day, I went and played some other game. Because while I enjoyed the backstory to quite a bit of the pve, it was horribly implemented. Especially the group areas (which GW2 totally ripped off and made not suck by having the damn things scale to the nearby players, something the WAR team never thought of apparently), because you'd have like a total possible server population, both sides, of like a thousand during the heydey (maybe not even that). Then you had four 'tiers' of areas, with ten to twenty area things in each tier, at least. So, even if you ripped every single member of your faction out of pvp, and sent them into pve evenly throughout the tiers, you'd still only barely have enough to do JUST the area quests, if that.

So was it really a suprise when aside from like the first two towns finding people doing their 'grand new feature' was basically impossible? That's just a failure of design, of people never asking the "now how will this work when it's actually in motion" question.

And now I'm reminded of that writeup some former CSR did years ago about how WAR was devastated by gold farmers which is why it failed, and how laughable that idea was. The article had some interesting insights, but it also showed that even after a year of live play the people behind the game didn't have a clue what the real issues were, which would explain why they were rearranging the deck chairs. They were DOING a lot of stuff, contrary to a lot of forum whine. They just weren't doing anything people gave a shit about aside from the occasional balance changes.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'd hesitate to even call it a "PvP" MMO. There was more PvE content in the game to begin with and a lot of the PvP content was completely broken for months after launch. They didn't even implement a proper pvp system (with rewards and progression) until way after launch and fortresses were all but unassailable (due to bugs and performance issues) for far too long, basically crippling the entire PvP endgame... The massive castle-zergs in the RvR lakes were fun for a while but you don't pay a monthly fee for such a barebones feature for very long when everything surrounding it is bad or broken.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, I really do miss playing my Witch Hunter. Was the only time I actually enjoyed playing a sneaky-bastard-type in a MMO. Or enjoyed PvPing in a MMO.

I still miss my Chosen and somewhat my Witch Elf. Nothing compares to WAR at its best, everything surrounding it...

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg