As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Telltale's Jurassic Park: Hold on to your butts!

123457»

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    The Quick Look over at Giant Bomb unsold the hell out of this game. Looks tedious, undercooked, boring and the worst parts of Heavy Rain.

Wait, no, that was the voices, characters and story.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Well, then you are missing out. Hard.

Also, its far from tedious or boring or undercooked as you can get.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Yeah, it looked real bad. Also, I'm not sure why the game kept hitching and freezing at times on the console. This is not Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3, you'd think it'd run just fine.

urahonky wrote:
    I liked the third movie... But I thought it was way too short. But then again I go to see a JP movie to see dinosaurs eating things.

You are going to love this game. So much.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    After 2.5 days of waiting and 2 support tickets asking why it wasn't available, I finally gave up and decided to ask D2D for a refund on my pre-order (made in April, before the delay). 2 hours later, I check to see if they'd refunded me my money yet and removed the game from my account and, sure enough, it's ready for download.

Now I have no clue how to proceed. Steam didn't have it available in April, when I bought it, and D2D has generally been great to me so I'm a bit torn. If they (eventually) get to my refund ticket and see that I've downloaded it, I'm sure that'll just cause a hassle. I still don't know why they held the game for 2.5 days though. That's just ridiculous.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It looks kind of, not good. Dinosaur Soccer World, anyone?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Is this digital only? I was looking around for a PS3 version in stores and couldn't find it anywhere.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    After 2.5 days of waiting and 2 support tickets asking why it wasn't available, I finally gave up and decided to ask D2D for a refund on my pre-order (made in April, before the delay). 2 hours later, I check to see if they'd refunded me my money yet and removed the game from my account and, sure enough, it's ready for download.

Now I have no clue how to proceed. Steam didn't have it available in April, when I bought it, and D2D has generally been great to me so I'm a bit torn. If they (eventually) get to my refund ticket and see that I've downloaded it, I'm sure that'll just cause a hassle. I still don't know why they held the game for 2.5 days though. That's just ridiculous.

Can you put in a followup to the ticket? If not maybe put in another ticket explaining that you don't want a refund because it's working now. They should take a look at your other tickets when they pull up the first one.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote:
    Is this digital only? I was looking around for a PS3 version in stores and couldn't find it anywhere.

From my understanding, the ps3 version is digital only.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    As the one who created this thread, I feel that I have a duty of letting people know that the game is good. Buy it.

mmmmm
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    As the one who created this thread, I feel that I have a duty of letting people know that the game is good. Buy it.

Ah ah ah! You didn't say the magic word!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't get where they created the plot point of "lost embryos".

I don't remember whether the movie does, but the book makes it blindingly clear that those embryos have a very short shelf life even inside the storage unit (shaving can), and that Nedry lost them forever.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    It was considered a plot hook for a sequel by a lot of people after the first film came out, I guess not many people would remember that at the start of the movie they give it something like a 12-36 hour lifespan, and the lingering shot of it getting buried in some mud kind of gave it more significance than it really had (especially since Nedry dies at the same time anyway).

But doesn't this game start out at pretty much the same as the first movie anyway? Th embyros would still be perfectly valid so if you were looking to tie in a side story with the original JP it seems like a good a place as any.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it was meant to show finality for Nedrys death. He was killed on the waterfall above it, as he screams the can falls down and gets buried. Just a way to emphasise his demise without scaring the kiddies.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I think its just a case of a bunch of people not paying any attention to actual story and giving something more meaning, then not being willing to back down when confronted with an error.

Not gonna complain overmuch though, this game does look pretty neat.

Dhalphir on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, in truth, the coolant keeping the embryos not-dead is supposed to have juice for around 24-36 hours shelf life according to Dodgson at the beginning of the film, and the characters here go find Nedry not three hours after he gets eaten and come with a recharge for the coolant. It really makes about as much sense as could be squeezed out of it - these guys were the ones supposed to get the can from Nedry but he doesn't come (you find them waiting at the dock, impatiently, until they say "fuck this" and go in themselves), and they go in with a locator tuned to the can's emitter to find what the hell happened to the stupid fat man precisely because they can't exactly wait or the embryos will die.

Steam ID: Right here.
    well I suppose that is fair.

that rivals Blizzard Entertainment for the ability to twist a story to suit gameplay, though :D

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dhalphir wrote:
    that rivals Blizzard Entertainment for the ability to twist a story to suit gameplay, though :D

Indeed - I did mention it made "as much sense as could be squeezed". You get the feeling the guys at Telltale spent quite long thinking of possible story openings, no matter how small, and went at them with crowbar and blowtorch to open them up without causing plotholes.

The Harding thing is a bit similar - IIRC, you do see him in the movie, for a bit, but then there's no further news. People assume he evacs correctly, but it's not like we know it nor is there any scene saying so. For all we know he could have been eaten. So now we find out more about him.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    SO many opinions on the game here!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    carmofin wrote:
    SO many opinions on the game here!

Well, to be honest, I gave the game a good 45 minutes to "grab me". I would have given it more but it's fighting for time against Skyrim and Saints Row the Third with a Batman deadline on Tuesday. Hah.

Still, My initial reaction was mixed. I honestly don't mind QTEs heavy gameplay (ala Heavy Rain), but I just wish that A) the movement system when not being chased was handled ANY other way and B) all "button mashing" sequences were straight cut from the game/existence.

(For context, when not being chased the movement system is handled by you pressing a button to bring up pictures of other areas around your immediate location. Once you select one, you'll walk to that area and, while stationary, move the camera around a very limited viewing angle to search for clues. If this system changes later in the game, I wouldn't know.)

To the games credit, the movement is something I can get used to since, up to the point I'm at, there haven't been any timed searches to force me to rush. The chase/action sequences on the other hand, often had "too quick to disappear" button mashing pop-ups that were pretty damn straining even when I knew they were coming. These sequences are very "trial and error", so after a few tries you're bound to get it, but at that point you get more of a sense of relief than of accomplishment.

Once I pick it up again, if there are more of those quickly disappearing button mashing parts in the game, I'll probably just kick it down to Carebear mode and enjoy the story.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    The biggest thing holding me back, which you can see in the latest GB Quick Look, is that the button prompts are WAY too small. You just can't see which button they want you to press. I hope that's something they fix in a patch, but I know that Telltale isn't known for doing stuff like that in their patches.

steam_sig.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    carmofin wrote:
    To the games credit, the movement is something I can get used to since, up to the point I'm at, there haven't been any timed searches to force me to rush. The chase/action sequences on the other hand, often had "too quick to disappear" button mashing pop-ups that were pretty damn straining even when I knew they were coming. These sequences are very "trial and error", so after a few tries you're bound to get it, but at that point you get more of a sense of relief than of accomplishment.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Some of the mashing actions required are just impossible the first time through before the game kicks into "Oh you couldn't handle that we'll make it easier" mode. Story wise, it was solid, if a bit...far fetched? in places.
    Billy's heel turn at the end made absolutely no sense. He gained nothing by trying to kill the Hardings. Especially after he had just called the embassy and said they were alive. He could have just as easily said "No, just myself and a local left." I dunno. I guess if that's the worst characterization gripe I have, it's not too bad. Even Jess was written somewhat all right.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    The chase/action sequences on the other hand, often had "too quick to disappear" button mashing pop-ups that were pretty damn straining even when I knew they were coming. These sequences are very "trial and error", so after a few tries you're bound to get it, but at that point you get more of a sense of relief than of accomplishment.

Once I pick it up again, if there are more of those quickly disappearing button mashing parts in the game, I'll probably just kick it down to Carebear mode and enjoy the story.

I think, to a certain extent, you're supposed to fail those scenes. I mean they put in a lot of effort in making a bunch of unique deaths so what better way to get the player to see them than by making the QTE's semi difficulty.

They do it in probably the wrong way (by making the prompts far too small) but i don't think making QTE's difficult is inherently a bad thing.*

*It should be noted that I haven't played this yet- I've only watched the GB quicklook.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:
    Decoy wrote:
    The chase/action sequences on the other hand, often had "too quick to disappear" button mashing pop-ups that were pretty damn straining even when I knew they were coming. These sequences are very "trial and error", so after a few tries you're bound to get it, but at that point you get more of a sense of relief than of accomplishment.

I think, to a certain extent, you're supposed to fail those scenes. I mean they put in a lot of effort in making a bunch of unique deaths so what better way to get the player to see them than by making the QTE's semi difficulty.

They do it in probably the wrong way (by making the prompts far too small) but i don't think making QTE's difficult is inherently a bad thing.*

*It should be noted that I haven't played this yet- I've only watched the GB quicklook.
    The best death is when Gerry is carrying Nema to the maintenance shed, between the triceratops and t-rex. Trike hits him under the chest with a horn, lifts him up in the air and a split second later the rex bites over him and the trike's horn. It's so fast and beautifully brutal.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:

I could almost agree. There are definitely places like this where you have long segments of dialogue and on the rails action and then BAM you're asked to do something and whoops I screwed up for getting sucked in. But those aren't my gripe. I usually laughed when that happened. I'm talking about needing 400APM SC2 style spam clicking W or something 6 times in a row. It's not "hard" it's just stupid. Knowing it's coming. Knowing exactly what you need to do, smashing a key over and over and over and over and still failing. Thankfully, the "fuck you" moments like that were few and far between and overall the game was actually fairly lenient if you fucked up here or there. You may get roughed up a bit but could usually continue on.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    -Loki- wrote:
    Pretty sure it was meant to show finality for Nedrys death. He was killed on the waterfall above it, as he screams the can falls down and gets buried. Just a way to emphasise his demise without scaring the kiddies.

Any kid who would've been freaked out by that guy getting ganked by the frilled dino must've needed therapy after the part where the clear roof of the jeep caves in with a hungry T-Rex on the other side.

Or maybe not therapy, but at least a "steady your brain" quicktime event.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited November 2011
    The best death is when Gerry is carrying Nema to the maintenance shed, between the triceratops and t-rex. Trike hits him under the chest with a horn, lifts him up in the air and a split second later the rex bites over him and the trike's horn. It's so fast and beautifully brutal.

You forgot the part with the kid having to watch all of this then going on her knees
    Nappuccino wrote:
    Decoy wrote:

Or the scene just before when the girl desperatly tries to silence the car and then gets smashed inbetween by the T-Rex.

C2B on