As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii at PAX? Dare we hope for Halo 3?

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Updated today.

"We've been hearing a lot of buzz in the forums wondering if Nintendo would be making their second straight appearance at PAX, especially during such an exciting year for them, and the answer is yes. They will be back as well as Rockstar Games and the 1Up Network."

YES.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Should I encounter him, and should he know to ask, I will happily fellate Shigeru Miyamoto, just to say that I did.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Updated today.

"We've been hearing a lot of buzz in the forums wondering if Nintendo would be making their second straight appearance at PAX, especially during such an exciting year for them, and the answer is yes. They will be back as well as Rockstar Games and the 1Up Network."

YES.

YUSS! I didn't touch metroid pinball last year at pax because i knew it would create an unhealthy yearning that I coudn't sate until it was all said and done.
    Doc wrote:
    Nintendo had Twilight Princess in playable form last year. That alone is enough to make me think they'll have the Wii there.

That is a very fine point. At this point I would give a high chance to see the WII at pax. I would state that the yearning is allready there and I really want to see the WII remote(that is if I even get a chance to touch the damned thing, Everyone will want a swing at it i bet.)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    this means that i will have to get in line very early on the second day so that i can play. i'm gonna have to get up very early... :x

Nephirij on
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Updated today.

YES.

Where did the quote come from?

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    duderdude2 wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Updated today.

YES.

Where did the quote come from?

The PAX front page.

I was getting the link to it for someone and saw that update. :o

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    The PAX front page.

I was getting the link to it for someone and saw that update. :o

Oh bitchin.

Thanks for the response, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get my hopes up too high, only to find out some jackalope started the rumor. The front page of PAX seems like a credible enough source though ;)

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Bwahaha. I just noticed this on PAX's schedule:
    Forums, Blogs and Fanbois: The Role of Community and PR in the Game Industry
    Saturday, 7-8pm (Satellite Theatre)
    The hardcore community (yes, our community) is cranky and unpredictable yet is still the most sought after audience by publishers. We're early adopters, market influencers and in many ways determine the success of most titles out there. Listen how PR and industry insiders view the community and how they work with it on a day to day basis. Panelists include: Frank O'Conner aka Frankie (Bungie/Microsoft)

:D

Legacy on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

for me

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Updated today.

YES.

i just came all over the wall

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Press release I got in my email today:
    Microsoft, Nintendo to Headline Penny Arcade Expo

Keynote to Focus on Prehistory of Xbox

Seattle, Washington - June 23, 2006 - Penny Arcade Inc today announced that exhibit space is now sold out for its upcoming Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) gaming culture fest slated to invade Washington State this August 25th-27th. On the exhibit floor PAX '06 attendees can expect to get hands on with yet-to-be-released games and products from the likes of exhibitors Microsoft, Nintendo, Nvidia, ArenaNet, America's Army, Turbine, NCSoft, Ubisoft, Mythic, Sabertooth Games, Foundation 9, Rockstar, Flying Lab, Creative Labs, The Behemoth, Garage Games and Red Octane among others. In addition to pre-release games galore on its show floor, PAX offers attendees a host of game-related conference sessions, parties, concerts and contests, including the grand-daddy of game challenges, the Omegathon.

It was also announced that Alex St. John will keynote PAX06. St. John's keynote entitled "The Prehistory of Xbox," will address the legends and anecdotal stories of the evolution to Microsoft's Xbox as experienced by the man behind the "Manhattan Project." A former Microsoft employee, whose exploits have been chronicled in books such as "Renegades of the Empire" by Michael Drummond, "Opening the Xbox" by Dean Takahashi and "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner, today St. John runs WildTangent, an online game publishing company.

"Last year's PAX was like a big party with 9,000 of your closest friends," said Penny Arcade's Robert Khoo. "It's hard to imagine, but PAX '06 is on track to be even larger and more outrageous."

Updated Guitar Hero 2 build with more new songs?

I hope so.

Legacy on
  • Options
    Ripple EffectRipple Effect Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Press release I got in my email today:
    Microsoft, Nintendo to Headline Penny Arcade Expo

Keynote to Focus on Prehistory of Xbox

Seattle, Washington - June 23, 2006 - Penny Arcade Inc today announced that exhibit space is now sold out for its upcoming Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) gaming culture fest slated to invade Washington State this August 25th-27th. On the exhibit floor PAX '06 attendees can expect to get hands on with yet-to-be-released games and products from the likes of exhibitors Microsoft, Nintendo, Nvidia, ArenaNet, America's Army, Turbine, NCSoft, Ubisoft, Mythic, Sabertooth Games, Foundation 9, Rockstar, Flying Lab, Creative Labs, The Behemoth, Garage Games and Red Octane among others. In addition to pre-release games galore on its show floor, PAX offers attendees a host of game-related conference sessions, parties, concerts and contests, including the grand-daddy of game challenges, the Omegathon.

It was also announced that Alex St. John will keynote PAX06. St. John's keynote entitled "The Prehistory of Xbox," will address the legends and anecdotal stories of the evolution to Microsoft's Xbox as experienced by the man behind the "Manhattan Project." A former Microsoft employee, whose exploits have been chronicled in books such as "Renegades of the Empire" by Michael Drummond, "Opening the Xbox" by Dean Takahashi and "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner, today St. John runs WildTangent, an online game publishing company.

"Last year's PAX was like a big party with 9,000 of your closest friends," said Penny Arcade's Robert Khoo. "It's hard to imagine, but PAX '06 is on track to be even larger and more outrageous."

Updated Guitar Hero 2 build with more new songs?

I hope so.

Guh guh guh...

sigh.

*spasm*

Ripple Effect on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Gut reaction: Hell ass balls yes!

Second rection: PAX has a keynote?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Gut reaction: Hell ass balls yes!

Second rection: PAX has a keynote?

Yeah, it's a new addition I guess.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/events.php#panels
    Keynote: The Prehistory of Xbox with Alex St. John
    Friday, 4:15-5pm (Main Theatre)
    Join Alex St. John, one of the original leaders behind the Manhattan Project and of course, DirectX, as he tells the tale of how the Xbox came to be (and the dirt that comes with it!)

Legacy on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2006

This is an outrage!

Garthor on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2006
    I AM ALSO OUTRAGED.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I AM ALSO OUTRAGED.

D:

Legacy on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    I AM ALSO OUTRAGED.

D:

D:

Khoo, me and PolaGo were totally stranded on the I5 last night. Why didn't you use your magical powers to save us??

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2006
    I tried, but the new GRAW pack was too alluring.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Hey khoo, is the microsoft events team handling the keynote stuff?

*Tries to figure out a way to be paid to work at pax* :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I tried, but the new GRAW pack was too alluring.

:(

Well on the plus side, we got a ride in a State Trooper car to a seedy motel.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    That triva panel with Chatter Box games? Yeah thoes guys crashed in my room last year and I got free swag just for that. Also all of the pannels look really cool. And I am fired up about GH 2!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    on Halo 3:

the way that Bungie keeps talking about it, I think either a) nobody is going to hear anything until E307 or b) Nobody is going to hear anything until the game actually comes out.

Let's hope the French don't get involved this time around.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I really wouldn't be surpised at all if Wii was at PAX. The demos were all in fine shape at E3 and the console's supposed to be out by October or November. Don't forget that last year, Nintendo had made a new demo of Hunters just for PAX. So at least we know Nintendo is willing to commit some amount of effort into exhibiting at PAX.

I kind of doubt Halo 3 will be there, but who knows. Of course, PAX '04 feature Halo 2 playable for the first time by th e"public", but the game was due out only a few months later. Also, at E3 2004, they had playable Halo 2 multiplayer behind closed doors. There was nothing of the sort for Halo 3 at this year's E3 unless you count the cutscene fly-throughs to demonstrate that the Halo 3 trailer was being rendered in real time.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    Ripple EffectRipple Effect Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    olanmills wrote:
    I really wouldn't be surpised at all if Wii was at PAX. The demos were all in fine shape at E3 and the console's supposed to be out by October or November. Don't forget that last year, Nintendo had made a new demo of Hunters just for PAX. So at least we know Nintendo is willing to commit some amount of effort into exhibiting at PAX.

I kind of doubt Halo 3 will be there, but who knows. Of course, PAX '04 feature Halo 2 playable for the first time by th e"public", but the game was due out only a few months later. Also, at E3 2004, they had playable Halo 2 multiplayer behind closed doors. There was nothing of the sort for Halo 3 at this year's E3 unless you count the cutscene fly-throughs to demonstrate that the Halo 3 trailer was being rendered in real time.

yeah. If we get what was given at E3, the trailer and trailer flybys then that would be in keeping with tradition. And I would bet a small sum of $ that the Wii will be playable.

Ripple Effect on
  • Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I wonder how they're going to handle the lines for Wii. I mean, is there a single attendee that won't want to play it? I doubt there is seriously.

FTV on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    FTV wrote:
    I wonder how they're going to handle the lines for Wii. I mean, is there a single attendee that won't want to play it? I doubt there is seriously.

I can see it now, the rest of the convention center dead silent and empty.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Raiden333 wrote:
    FTV wrote:

I can see it now, the rest of the convention center dead silent and empty.

All I know is that I think they're fools for not opening the exhibition hall when the doors open for the pre-reg people. There's going to be such a line outside of it for that hour...

Legacy on
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    FTV wrote:

Uh, me, since I've already played it. Well I would want to play it more, but if the line is insane, then I'll pass.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    olanmills wrote:
    FTV wrote:
    Uh, me, since I've already played it. Well I would want to play it more, but if the line is insane, then I'll pass.

I got to play it too, and I'll damned if I won't stand in line to play it again. That tennis game rocks my nuts.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    olanmills wrote:
    Also, at E3 2004, they had playable Halo 2 multiplayer behind closed doors. There was nothing of the sort for Halo 3 at this year's E3 unless you count the cutscene fly-throughs to demonstrate that the Halo 3 trailer was being rendered in real time.

The press did play halo 3 multiplayer behind closed doors. I point you back to my earlier post on page 2.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Relativiox wrote:
    The press did play halo 3 multiplayer behind closed doors. I point you back to my earlier post on page 2.

Cite? You're right that they have a playable build, but I haven't seen any evidence regarding it being shown behind closed doors at E3.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Relativiox wrote:
    [quote=http://www.xe360.com/article/Halo_3/3450.html]Well no, I didn’t actually hear about it until a MS PR guy told me about it, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Well a funny thing about that, we showed them and flew around in the trailer in real time, we were able to show how light reflects off the space-tether, you could see the expanse of the Forerunner construct and how it goes out for miles, something people don’t know is we had the option to let the press play some multiplayer.
    [/quote]

They had the option to let them and I recently read in a bungie weekly update that they used that option.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    If there is line madness for the Wii, I'll wait for Sunday morning, when the convention center is dead, and go Wii to my heart's content then.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    If there is line madness for the Wii, I'll wait for Sunday morning, when the convention center is dead, and go Wii to my heart's content then.

Ha.

That was the thought people had at E3.

The line was the longest on the last day.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Relativiox wrote:
    They had the option to let them and I recently read in a bungie weekly update that they used that option.

You know, I read all the updates too, and I don't recall them mentioning it being shown at E3. Perhaps I missed it, but I still don't think they've shown the game in playable form to anyone outside Bungie/Microsoft.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Ha.

That was the thought people had at E3.

The line was the longest on the last day.

Seriously. After Saturday, the silly people that didn't go to the exhibition room will be told by their friends "Dude, the Wii is AWESOME!" and everyone will go the next day.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I just remember coming in Sunday morning in '04 and '05, and seeing what basically amounted to a sad ghost town where was a bustling metropolis the day before, with the sole inhabitants being those who didn't drink enough Saturday to be too badly hung over.

I fully intend to arrive at the Meydenbauer at 7:30am on Sunday and wii the morning away.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I intend to do that all three days, except i plan on being in line at 6:30 just so I can be first in line. that and I have no life and I will be coming up on thursday for friends near tacoma, and the pre-PAX dinner and movie. this year is going to rock.and then i shall wii saturday and sunday away.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I will personaly give a prize to the person who is the most hardcore to be first in line.

I feel bad cause in 05 all I gave to the person first in line was a tin of bawls mints.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right