As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monday Night Combat: Now with Steam group!

1474849505153»

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I got in the beta myself. Have yet to really play it though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    Uber isn't the first dev to have their enthusiasm for supporting their own game annihilated by the XBL approval process, and I severely doubt they'll be the last.

That said they've sort of slacked on content for the PC version as well.

They also dropped the ball on the community dev tools as well (that said coming one month after release). The game could have had a much bigger following if were weren't playing the same 5 or 6 maps forever. One of which was completely broken.

Shens on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Numerous devs have been expressing their dislike of Microsoft. Team Meat has been one of the more vocal examples. I know Zeboyd stated that Steam outsold their XBL version in a week or so. Since MNC was designed for consoles, I guess Uber has seen that the PC is where they are making the most money and want to have a game designed from the ground up for it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shens wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Uber isn't the first dev to have their enthusiasm for supporting their own game annihilated by the XBL approval process, and I severely doubt they'll be the last.

That said they've sort of slacked on content for the PC version as well.

They also dropped the ball on the community dev tools as well (that said coming one month after release). The game could have had a much bigger following if were weren't playing the same 5 or 6 maps forever. One of which was completely broken.

Yeah, I actually asked them about this at PAX East earlier this year, and unfortunately the answer was pretty unsatisfactory

It was basically "It's hard to make dev tools that people can use without knowledge of UDK"

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So having played about 4 games, this is MNC with more classes and increased game length. Each game was about 30-40 minutes.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote:
    So having played about 4 games, this is MNC with more classes and increased game length. Each game was about 30-40 minutes.

So it's still fun as hell? I miss MNC

JtgVX0H.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hnnnnngnggggg I want in. I don't care if it's free! I'll spend eight thousand dollars on hats!

Also, I'm a PC gamer now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Darmak wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:

Ehhhhh.

I'm willing to forgive a lot because beta, but, the games are just way too long. Its like the creep health was drastically increased and experience gain was majorly reduced to make the game longer. So its not really a jump in/jump out game anymore. You've got to have a good block of time to dedicate to it to play more than one game a day.

Docshifty wrote:
    Darmak wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:

Ehhhhh.

I'm willing to forgive a lot because beta, but, the games are just way too long. Its like the creep health was drastically increased and experience gain was majorly reduced to make the game longer. So its not really a jump in/jump out game anymore. You've got to have a good block of time to dedicate to it to play more than one game a day.

How much does that, as well as the new classes, change up the teamwork?

Cantido wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:
    Darmak wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:

Ehhhhh.

If you've played a normal MOBA (Dota, LoL, HoN) game, then its either at that level, or just below, as far as teamwork importance.

If you've got a lame duck on your team, or if they manage to outlevel you at the beginning, its a slow march to defeat.

More than that, team makeup is even more important because, at this point, I don't think you can switch roles in the middle of a game (Makes sense given the changes, you'd only be gimping yourself).

Docshifty wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:
    Darmak wrote:
    Docshifty wrote:

Ehhhhh.

If you've played a normal MOBA (Dota, LoL, HoN) game, then its either at that level, or just below, as far as teamwork importance.

If you've got a lame duck on your team, or if they manage to outlevel you at the beginning, its a slow march to defeat.

More than that, team makeup is even more important because, at this point, I don't think you can switch roles in the middle of a game (Makes sense given the changes, you'd only be gimping yourself).

Ooh, leveling is a bad sign. This is what separates Devil May Cry from Symphony of the Night. In DMC and MNC, you buy abilities. In SotN, your health and power are going up. I prefer the former over the latter for this sort of game. I hope they take care of the game flow after the beta.

edited November 2011
    You still buy the abilities like you did in MNC. Its just they come a lot further apart now, since the process takes longer.

EDIT: I forgot that MNC skills were bought with money. Yeah, here its you gain a point to spend on one of your abilities or two passives whenever you level.

Docshifty on
    edited November 2011
    Docshifty wrote:
    You still buy the abilities like you did in MNC. Its just they come a lot further apart now, since the process takes longer.

EDIT: I forgot that MNC skills were bought with money. Yeah, here its you gain a point to spend on one of your abilities or two passives whenever you level.

Ouch ouch ouch. Stats need to stay fixed (save for bacon) or stats will trump skill.

Cantido on
  • cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Uh, guys, you know you aren't supposed to be talking about the beta, right? I will say that the base concept is very compelling, but the execution so far needs work. Of course thats why we're testing it in the first place :-)

That is a good point and I would like to see how the game plays after really adjusting to the different focus, so enough out of me.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Now I want to play some MNC when I get home, despite my current obsession with Skyrim. But my wife also needs attention, and I told a friend I'd play something with him later tonight too! Not enough time in a day!

JtgVX0H.png
    Invite get! And right after an exam that sucked really bad! Spirits totally lifted.

• cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Though we're still not supposed to talk about the beta/invitational, Giant Bomb has done a quick look at SMNC that you can check out. If anyone is interested at all in the game, I highly suggest going to the forums and signing up. Its really fun, and we could always use more people to murder play with.

cpugeek13 on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    MNC was one of my favorite XBLA games ever.

Such a shame microsoft made it difficult for Uber, as I want SMNC sooooooooo badly.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote:
    Though we're still not supposed to talk about the beta/invitational, Giant Bomb has done a quick look at SMNC that you can check out. If anyone is interested at all in the game, I highly suggest going to the forums and signing up. Its really fun, and we could always use more people to murder play with.

Maaaaaaaaaan, why can't we talk about it yet? Totally want to. Surprised it's gone on this long.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote:
    cpugeek13 wrote:

Maaaaaaaaaan, why can't we talk about it yet? Totally want to. Surprised it's gone on this long.

To censor cries of RUINED FOREV-AH, probably. I know I have some gripes and I love it.

• InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    40 minutes for game length? The dev in the Giant Bomb video said matches were typically 20 minutes which sounded great to me. 40 minutes is actually still on par if not still lower for Dota-like games. I remember playing WC3 Dota matches that could last an hour or two if nobody quit.

I'm pretty stoked for SMNC as I love this style of game but have gotten a tired of the traditional format. Original MNC was good but suffered the same pitfalls of multiplayer-shooters and I like that this is more stat driven.

"I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    20-30 is the typical match length.